PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Blamed for Newest Firmware Update

wraggster
November 22nd, 2006, 19:31
Heres what Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6162236.html) posted:

The latestPlayStation Portable firmware, originally meant to be released on November 11 to coincide with the Japanese launch of the PlayStation 3, was released earlier today. But just hours after version 3.00 was made available by Sony, the firmware was upgraded again, to 3.01. The 'update to the update' patches a security hole which is rumoured to have left open a way of bypassing the homebrew block on the handheld. The update isn't available for download on www.yourpsp.com yet, but users with a Wi-Fi connection can go to the 'network update' section on their PSPs and access the update from there.

So a way to get homebrew working on v3.0 was reason for the update eh. Very interesting

nyrtrublue
November 22nd, 2006, 19:37
do i hear boosters name being called and of course Dark_Alex

they should just have said that theyre was a minor flaw or something now we know there is a potential exploit

Project.funky
November 22nd, 2006, 19:37
Think some one at sony made a mistake, they must no what and if they get fired they could turn bitter and post the hack :D i can hope

steven1980cad
November 22nd, 2006, 19:39
Lets hope the coders can find the bug and exploit it.

Maybe custom fw3.0 will be the new golden firmware!!!

Fanjita, Ditlew, Dark Alex, and all the others; thanks for homebrew.

splodger15
November 22nd, 2006, 19:42
Very interesting , its only a matter of time and patience

Mr.Denny
November 22nd, 2006, 19:42
Lets hope the coders can find the bug and exploit it.

Maybe custom fw3.0 will be the new golden firmware!!!

Fanjita, Ditlew, Dark Alex, and all the others; thanks for homebrew.

Indeed

I`d love if some one cracked the official PSone emu. :)

MikeDX
November 22nd, 2006, 19:44
I would be laughing hard if normal eboots ran on 3.0 ;)

poosan
November 22nd, 2006, 19:52
it could be fake...the homebrew excuess that is...maybe sony is being a little creative and "claming" that there is a flaw in 3.00 just to distract the coders from working on 3.01...

splodger15
November 22nd, 2006, 19:55
^ ^
I doubt that very much

porchemasi
November 22nd, 2006, 20:01
We can only hope for more news, BTW ppl what are ur theories on linux emulators running on a PS3 linux 0s

CaptainMorgan4
November 22nd, 2006, 20:07
Maybe they actually made the flaw on purpose, like Sony knows legally they don't want homebrew but it is a big reason for users to BUY they're product. Hey if Sony put that flaw there on purpose so we can have the PSX emulator then thanks Sony!

ssnake
November 22nd, 2006, 20:32
nice to hear that there's a flaw... I'll stay with 3.0 firmware then... I'll wait for coder to discover what's the possibility with this flaw...

Veskgar
November 22nd, 2006, 20:37
it could be fake...the homebrew excuess that is...maybe sony is being a little creative and "claming" that there is a flaw in 3.00 just to distract the coders from working on 3.01...
Very interesting theory. If you've been a part of this scene long enough you get the sense that this is a war of sorts. Homebrew vs. SONY, and if SONY is considering it a war, I'm sure they have all sort of homebrew countermeasures in place. They definitely have "forum spys" keeping an eye out for the latest exploits. So it would not too far fetched for them to use misinformation as another way to fight the "war".

If nothing else, this is creating the excitement and buzz within the PSP homebrew scene that hasn't been seen in quite some time now.

Something good will likely come from SONY's blunders once again.

S34MU5
November 22nd, 2006, 20:37
LOL sony are n00bs.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
November 22nd, 2006, 21:04
LOL sony are n00bs.
yeah:D , we pwned then before and we will again!!!:cool: :cool: , this is what i call ownage!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :cool:

TCLCloud
November 22nd, 2006, 21:17
I would love to see the guy at Sony explaining to his bosses why theres a security patch coming out the day after the big update......

"er, errr, err ..... we suck?"

Accordion
November 22nd, 2006, 21:18
sony have no reason to care about version 3.00 being cracked...the features of 3.00 require content to be downloaded and signed to the system from an outside source, sony only need to block 3.00 [and future cracked firmwares] from running the downloads.

alot of people seem to not have realised the game downloads will require updates also.

pakkman781
November 22nd, 2006, 21:22
I hope to see 3.0 cracked just for the music visualizer! XD That's something I've been hoping for for ages!

Does anyone have a screenshot of the visualizer?

Accordion
November 22nd, 2006, 21:28
why would you want to stare at the psp screen when playing music...mine lives in my pocket!!

Veskgar
November 22nd, 2006, 21:35
alot of people seem to not have realised the game downloads will require updates also.
Yes, that was a huge concern of mine for a while now. I just did not want to bring it up to give SONY any ideas, lol.

With future PS1 downloads requiring constant firmware upgrades I think the whole dream of being able to DevHook 3.00 and play all PS1 games is fading. But on the flip-side SONY's take on PS1 game emulation is incredibly sloppy and poorly planned so it will likely end up that a homebrew solution to PS1 emulation becomes BETTER than SONY's way of doing things.

Emeriastone
November 22nd, 2006, 21:44
Dude, I will totally upgrade to 3.0 if I can get homebrew working on it. How tight would that be??

IndianCheese
November 22nd, 2006, 21:55
Sorry for the language, but

**** YA! EVERY DEV NEEDS TO GET ON THIS! I WILL UPDATE AND BUY A PS3 IF IT IS TRUE!!!!!11!!!1!1!

MikeDX
November 22nd, 2006, 22:04
Dude, I will totally upgrade to 3.0 if I can get homebrew working on it. How tight would that be??

Not being funny, but you are kinda stating the obvious

TheEmulatorGuy
November 22nd, 2006, 23:04
Haha, you guys are forgetting something. GameSpot said this - they have absolutely no idea. I bet it's just an editor using the wrong words or lying.

Gene
November 22nd, 2006, 23:09
I truelly believ that they did it on perpous to allow the homebrew loop. and released 3.01 to cover up the fact that they did not do the homebrew loop accidentally.

think about it. they spent a few months on firmware 3.0 and there is absolutelty no waythey could have had a bug that big as to be a new means for an exploit.

hopefully this "loop" or whatever they seem to want to call it, will be exploited to run at least some homebrew games. or a possible downgrader for the idiots who upgraded, willingly or unwillingly.

F9zDark
November 22nd, 2006, 23:14

Hmm interesting line of thought, but this would be counter productive on Sony's part. Releasing a 3.01 firmware so quickly will ONLY expediate 3.00 hacking.

I think the right idea is that Sony is blaming 3.01 update on homebrew flaw in 3.0; thus trying to get the coders, hackers and exploiters to update to 3.0, thus eliminating a large portion of the hacking populous, making it next to impossible to hack any more firmwares.

hd_
November 22nd, 2006, 23:35
I hope that we can get homebrew on 3.0 with ps1 emu support, but not necessarily crack the ps1 emulation- sony deserves some money at least.

the one and only
November 22nd, 2006, 23:42
No they dont lol, they force us to spend over 1k $nz to buy their "next gen" piece of crap, then say. "if you didnt buy our turd's, this means that you cant use our emus.

Sony suck, pure and simpl

hd_
November 23rd, 2006, 00:05
Then go buy a wii and ds and shut up about it.

F9zDark
November 23rd, 2006, 00:08
And pay for those games again, any way.... At least the PS3 has the ability to play PS1 game discs...

I_hate_firmware
November 23rd, 2006, 00:11
Wow, Sony sucks at life. They need to learn from companies like microsoft and nintendo about how to run a multi-billion dollar corporation. Oh yeah, all of the people who stupidly or accidentaslly updated to 3.00 already probably already upgraded to 3.01.lol

Deshevy
November 23rd, 2006, 00:15
The guy has it right sony sucks ass
Sony released the psp saying that homebrew was possible so they had no reason to take it away right, it was just the easiest thing for them to do.And thats why sony sucks big hairy balls.

Distortional
November 23rd, 2006, 00:20
The guy has it right sony sucks ass
Sony released the psp saying that homebrew was possible so they had no reason to take it away right, it was just the easiest thing for them to do.And thats why sony sucks big hairy balls.

So you're saying they said we could have it, then took it away (goddamn indian givers *joke*). Then we said **** you, we're having it anyway?

goaliedude
November 23rd, 2006, 00:32
this is retarded i hope sony burns we can hav homebrew 4evr

F9zDark
November 23rd, 2006, 03:24
Wow, Sony sucks at life. They need to learn from companies like microsoft and nintendo about how to run a multi-billion dollar corporation. Oh yeah, all of the people who stupidly or accidentaslly updated to 3.00 already probably already upgraded to 3.01.lol

How do you suppose these companies run that is better than Sony? If you are referring to homebrew, you are dead wrong; Sony is IN FACT the ONLY company to have EVER allowed homebrew on one of their consoles (PS2 Linux Kit).

PS3 also supports homebrew (via Linux) and Sony is working on a way to get homebrew running from the PS3 XMB with a developer environment made to run on the PS3.

Microsoft has never officially allowed homebrew and neither has Nintendo (Nintendo never has because they opted to use carts for so long to THWART piracy and homebrew...).

LilSwish722
November 23rd, 2006, 06:10
haha wow the dude above is right but i still refuse to like sony...i just screw them over bby hacking their products lol

vladiftodi
November 23rd, 2006, 15:06
is there a update file avaible yet?

Kamon
November 23rd, 2006, 15:53
is there a update file avaible yet?

If your talking about 3.00 then go to

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/913

TerryMathews
November 23rd, 2006, 23:14
Microsoft has never officially allowed homebrew

Currently true, but Microsoft is going to allow homebrew via the XNA Dev software currently in beta.

m0th
November 24th, 2006, 07:37
How does 3.x twart the homebrew community? Don't upgrade, not like Sony can FORCE you too. Unless you make a decision to upgrade for that great new release that requires an update. Than after a week or 2 after you beat it, you'll start beating yourself for nuetering your PSP. Its called patience and most technologically inempt people, have NONE. So let em fall for the hype and when they come crawling back to the forums asking how to downgrade... just tell em to F-off... I would. Oh yeah, you might wanna use FlashX ta get rid of the Update feature in tools incase someone else uses your PSP and gets overzealous.

Exophase
November 24th, 2006, 09:50
How do you suppose these companies run that is better than Sony? If you are referring to homebrew, you are dead wrong; Sony is IN FACT the ONLY company to have EVER allowed homebrew on one of their consoles (PS2 Linux Kit).

PS3 also supports homebrew (via Linux) and Sony is working on a way to get homebrew running from the PS3 XMB with a developer environment made to run on the PS3.

Microsoft has never officially allowed homebrew and neither has Nintendo (Nintendo never has because they opted to use carts for so long to THWART piracy and homebrew...).

GP32 allowed homebrew openly, and yes it was an actual gaming handheld with a few games, but it's hard to compare it with ones from Nintendo, Sony, etc. Also GP2X, of course, but there's not even a hint of it being anything more than made for homebrew.

animekid4
November 24th, 2006, 18:02
Fear us......