PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on PS3 Hacking/Homebrew

wraggster
November 22nd, 2006, 22:24
Hi all its great that people are able to boot linux on the PS3, to the general user however Linux is just too hard.

Now back in the Xbox Emulation days a pal of mine called DC Grendel released an Apple 2 emulator for the Xbox that used Linux but was transparent so was a fully legal emulator for the Xbox. It didnt really get much notice by the Xbox scene but maybe that same idea could be used on the PS3.

Thoughts anyone ?

NoQuarter
November 22nd, 2006, 23:00
Sure it'd be possible,especially with 3d acceleration for N64.You just need a minimal install with just the emu and dependencies and edit your start up script.I think...

Seriously though, some of the modern distros of linux are very much point and click.
I wonder if anybody has installed the psp toolchain and sdk to the PS3?

opiate81
November 22nd, 2006, 23:09
I think.. well I hope that Linux emulators will take off now.
I was a bit disappointed because I thought it gave the xbox alot more potential but wasnt used as much as it could have been...

my first experience with Linux was with the xbox.. and whilst it was daunting at first.. persistence has paid off Im getting the hang of it and finally streaming emulators, music and pictures from my xbox to psp

people need to embrace open source.. it so kicks ass compared to overpriced under featured crap that we are near on forced to use

NoQuarter
November 22nd, 2006, 23:19
3d desktop+fullspeed emus+PS3+psp streaming is what I would love to see

Hiei311
November 22nd, 2006, 23:31
3d desktop+fullspeed emus+PS3+psp streaming is what I would love to see

thats sounds amazing, i cant wait to get my hands on
that PS3 im workin my ass off for it, Xbox360 can wait, even though its lower but i rather by PS3 iv been waiting 4 that shit to come out, Wii and PS3 2 me are the two best consules....and im not gonna say anything about 360 cuz i dont want to hear it from 360 fan boyz saying PS3 and Wii suck becuz Xbox360 rulllz!! my cuzin does that all the time lol...

sorry for gettin off topic......yeah i was woundering is PS3 and Wii realy in full support of homebrewing???
and can the 20gig ps3 play ps1 and ps2 becuz my freind on cheapassgamer says no but i rather hear from u guyz:D thx