PDA

View Full Version : The Wii and obesity

gunntims0103
November 23rd, 2006, 04:27
news via khqa (http://www.khqa.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=22174)

Kids need about an hour of physical activity a day to stay healthy.

But can the Wii game system do that?

"You can't do this laying back on the couch and snacking," Quincy Gamestop manager Rob Shipman said.

The way you move your arms is the way your characters move in the game.

"I believe it's a good start. Anything that gets kids off the couch and up and moving is a start to getting them more active," Personal Trainer Dee St. Clair said.

If a gamer is driving, he has to move the controller like a steering wheel.

Sports games require much more movement like throwing a football or swinging a racket.

"That could get kids interested in playing sports and that's great," St. Clair said.

When it comes to exercise, games can be fun, but there's nothing like the real thing.

SnesR0X
November 23rd, 2006, 06:46
they should make a hardcore fighting game or something that i could use as my daily fitness workout, except that it'd be fun;)

curt_grymala
November 23rd, 2006, 14:43
This kind of opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Just imagine: TaeBo for the Wii :)

morninghead
November 23rd, 2006, 15:57
I have the Wii and if you really get into Wii sports it's both fun and it can also wear you out. I played Wii sports baseball standing up and getting into it and after about a half hour my arm was already sore. Now you can easily play this game sitting down, but it's a lot more fun standing up.

Junixx
November 23rd, 2006, 16:03
Alright this is WII WORKOUT, 30 jumping jacks to get to the next level! :p

vge
November 26th, 2006, 16:14
Last night i played a best of 5 game of tennis standing up and after it was all over i was beat and pouring sweat!:rofl: But it was lots of fun. I can see these like mini work outs. I am sure at this pace and playing multiple games a day people will definitely get a work out.