PDA

View Full Version : Wii DVD player planned

gunntims0103
November 23rd, 2006, 08:03
news via inquierer (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35919)

Next year, according to rumours

NINTENDO HAS plans to release a new version of the Wii next year that will ship with a HD DVD player, according to industry rumours.

Gameinformer.com quotes Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime as saying that Nintendo decided not to ship with high-definition capability when it launched on Sunday because it wanted to keep the cost down.

However, his words indicate that it may have plans to release one in the future. Later next year Nintendo has plans to release a new version of the Wii and Gameinformer is speculating that this will be when the outfit will stick on the new drive.

A spokesNintendo said that the outfit was "absolutely not currently announcing any plans to upgrade the maximum resolution from 480p". But then again everyone knews that.

However, the spokesNintendo admitted it shouldn't be impossible in theory. In fact, said the spokesman, Microsoft was able to patch the Xbox 360 to support 1080p and Nintendo has already released a patch to allow Wii gamers to transfer game saves to SD cards.

So it could be true.

shadowprophet
November 23rd, 2006, 08:23
news via inquierer (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35919)

Next year, according to rumours

NINTENDO HAS plans to release a new version of the Wii next year that will ship with a HD DVD player, according to industry rumours.

Gameinformer.com quotes Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime as saying that Nintendo decided not to ship with high-definition capability when it launched on Sunday because it wanted to keep the cost down.

However, his words indicate that it may have plans to release one in the future. Later next year Nintendo has plans to release a new version of the Wii and Gameinformer is speculating that this will be when the outfit will stick on the new drive.

A spokesNintendo said that the outfit was "absolutely not currently announcing any plans to upgrade the maximum resolution from 480p". But then again everyone knews that.

However, the spokesNintendo admitted it shouldn't be impossible in theory. In fact, said the spokesman, Microsoft was able to patch the Xbox 360 to support 1080p and Nintendo has already released a patch to allow Wii gamers to transfer game saves to SD cards.

So it could be true.

this new wii would defeat its own prupess, if nintendo added hdtv support and hd dvd. this new unit would be really expensive, of course one could also call that good market strategy on nintendos part aswell. ( avoiding all the expensive confusion around launch time) hmm, it just doesnt sound like nintendo to press unnecessary features.. and lets face it, a new drive alone wont cut it. there will have to be some kinds of fix to allow it to even desplay HD.. Oh well im too tired to think about it tonight, im going to seep. either way. nintendo is still tops in my book:thumbup:

One really needs to ask thereselves, im gonna have a hd-dvd player in my 360 or ps3 anyway, do I really need my Wii to play hd-dvd ?

Sadly, One format will lose this battle, be it blueray, or hd-dvd, I suspect hd-dvd will lose the format war, I could be wrong.

* a little bit off topic but In the end the fell format will be as useless as old batamax cassettes. Is even a stand alone blue ray or hd-dvd a sound investment at this time?

I know i dont want to spend 400+ dollars on a shiney new betamax :P

uneekracer
November 23rd, 2006, 14:06
dont have one but that would be good

I heart Nintendo
November 23rd, 2006, 14:19
I think it's good idea, though I think Nintendo should've opted for this from the start. I don't think people would've tripped over the price if the console came with HD output support and DVD / possible HD-DVD playback.

Nintendo have a track record of releasing some of their products with additional benefits and features, so it comes as no surprise. I think this is a good thing. As it stands, the Wii isn't too future-proof at least this way it some-what will be.

I think it's great.

skater9269
November 23rd, 2006, 14:59
damn that would piss me off so bad since I bought my wii on launch I would hate nintendo for it.Unless they offered me an alternative to buying a new wii to get the same stuff.

emuking
November 24th, 2006, 01:28
no the rumor is for a dvd wii not a hd-dvd wii