PDA

View Full Version : Dual analogue sticks most wanted feature for PSP 2.0

wraggster
November 24th, 2006, 22:59
Via Pocketgamer: (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/news.asp?c=1929)

Put down your weapons, the shootout is over. A two-week long exclusive poll of Pocket Gamer readers has revealed that dual analogue sticks are the hardware upgrade most desired for the next version of Sony's PSP.

In what was admittedly a tight vote, 28 per cent of voters plumped for the two sticks upgrade, versus the 27 per cent who'd most like to see Sony make the screen touch sensitive.

The result won't surprise anyone who's played the likes of Star Wars Battlefront II. Control of certain kinds of games has been a bugbear for PSP gamers from day one. While developers have increasingly successfully compensate for the console's control limitations (for example, GUN: Showdown generous auto-aim feature) there's no doubt the single analogue stick has lessened the PSP's ability to pull ahead of DS in certain genres where its technical smarts would otherwise serve it well, such as first person shooters.

The results in full

What would you most like to see in PSP 2.0?Dual analogue sticks 28%
Touchscreen 27%
Built-in mobile phone 21%
Built in camera and mic 16%
Clamshell case 5%

valar
November 24th, 2006, 23:04
sony should design usb dualshock for psp or some kind of adaptor ...don't be silly ,you don't need vibrations in psp,just sticks:thumbup:

Veskgar
November 24th, 2006, 23:12
A 2nd analog "nub" would be welcomed. But perhaps a redesign or modification to how it currently feels. What would be really cool is if it was designed in a way that allows the analog sticks to pop up when in use and then push back in and lock in place when not used.

Kyros
November 24th, 2006, 23:42
Yes exactly what Veskgar said of course another analog stick with the ability to push it in when not in use or when storing in a case or something and push it again and it pops up ready to play much like the console controllers...also if possible it would be nice to add two more triggers so that if feels and plays like a real Playstation controller except that the analog sticks won't be so close which is very good.

F9zDark
November 24th, 2006, 23:59
I'd like 2 analog nubs AND a new ergonomic design. As I said in another post about this, make the PSP like a PS2 controller, with the 2 handles. I have a hard time playing PSP comfortably and have to stop after 45 minutes to an hour because my hands begin to cramp.

There was an attachable 4-1 memory unit that did the same thing, I think it was at Divineo, but I haven't heard/seen about it since...

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
November 25th, 2006, 00:13
Must Have " Analog Sticks To Play Fps Game!!!!!!!

Gene
November 25th, 2006, 00:26
most of those options sound like ds functions...

stratman71
November 25th, 2006, 00:45
and homebrew support wasnt a choice i imagine.

Vega
November 25th, 2006, 00:57
Would be nice... tho having 2 nubs / analouge sticks would make handling abit iffy IMO. Grab yer PSP and imagine theres another nub where the power and hold LEDs are . . . not think its abit tricky to get to the face buttons? Mainly Triangle?
Still . . . would be good for all those FPS fans out there.

Veskgar
November 25th, 2006, 01:45
Would be nice... tho having 2 nubs / analouge sticks would make handling abit iffy IMO. Grab yer PSP and imagine theres another nub where the power and hold LEDs are . . . not think its abit tricky to get to the face buttons? Mainly Triangle?
Still . . . would be good for all those FPS fans out there.
Well I personally don't think the PSP is ideal for first-person shooter games but SONY is backing those types of games and bragging about the PSP hardware being able to handle those games.

I actually get more excitement when I play Metroid Prime Hunters on my DS Lite than I did playing some PSP shooters. But the DS Lite has some awkwardness to it as well when playing Metroid Prime Hunters. I guess it is due to its small size and TINY D-PAD.

The the fact will always be that 1st-Person shooters will always be better on HOME consoles in a high-def home theater environment.

F9zDark
November 25th, 2006, 02:38
The the fact will always be that 1st-Person shooters will always be better on HOME consoles in a high-def home theater environment.

Lets take that a step further and say that they will always be BEST on a PC, with a fully customizable keyboard and mouse.

Thing that really bothered me about the PSP is the single analog nub. I am avid FPS fan and the PSP would do wonders with another nub.

Yes Vega, you do have legitimate concerns, but the only reason we really need the face buttons on the PSP is because we DONT have a second analog nub to put aim/strafe on. With two nubs we could have one nub for forward/backward/left/right movement, another for up/down/left/right aiming and that leaves us the shoulder buttons for Fire, Jump, Use, etc. The face buttons would be relegated to actions that are used less, like reload, switch weapon, switch item (if inventory is present).

All in all, a second nub will greatly improve the PSP's ability to play FPS games.

Axelius
November 25th, 2006, 07:29
Well, I don't need a second analog nub... Yeah, it would have been nice if it had one more, but in some games the developer made really a good job in compensating this. Like in Splinter Cell Essentals: Although it was hard in the beginning I got used to it after one hour or so...

Dave the Rave
November 25th, 2006, 10:12
I agree, Battlefront is virtually unplayable compared to the Xbox version.

dejkirkby
November 25th, 2006, 11:16
Forget the 2nd analogue for a minute. Sony have struggled with the 1st one. I'd say replace the flat slide that it is based on with a round base, much like a PS2 controller.

C0R3F1GHT3R
November 25th, 2006, 11:41
Forget the 2nd analogue for a minute. Sony have struggled with the 1st one. I'd say replace the flat slide that it is based on with a round base, much like a PS2 controller.
hes right. When i first saw the psp i thought the analog was a friggin external speaker... I bought a better analog nub attachment for it the same time i bought it... still waiting on my psp to arrive. Don't ever join the army and go overseas APO shipping sucks big time.

bah
November 25th, 2006, 14:13
I'd be happy with just a screen with a reasonable response time. It wouldn't break compatibility/leave original systems unable to do things the new model can, but would be enough for me to buy a 2nd psp.

But they have to use the same connectors so I can switch the new screen into my 1.5 psp :)

I'm always amazed at the lack of negative feedback around the screen, I've seen several aussie PSPs and an early Japanese import and all blur like hell. The only time people seem to mention it is on forums about GTA (due to its colour scheme i'm guessing).

Does the response time really not bother anyone?

animekid4
November 25th, 2006, 15:04
great now i gotta buy a 2.0 for 2x analog sticks(I M ticked)It took me all summer doing chores for my psp

Avenyet
November 25th, 2006, 15:12
now now about IMPROVING the first anolgoue stick first and how about an R2 and L2 buttons i'd rather have them than a stupid stick

mavsman4457
November 25th, 2006, 15:56
I think the idea about the popping out analog sticks is a winner. You would have to have a lock button on them though because you wouldn't want to press R3 and end up just pushing it into the PSP. Sony really should lurk around these boards for ideas. It would definately be better than any feedback group that they could assemble.

Nasty Nate
November 25th, 2006, 17:23
i think PSP2 needs a video/audio output, so you can hook it up to a tv and play on a big screen like a regular console, and an internal hard drive would be real nice mem stcks are kinda pricey

Tomppa
November 25th, 2006, 17:31
1. I'd like to have phone support. Now i'm carrying just my phone with me most time. If PSP2 were my phone... Figure.
2. A second A-stick would be perfect.
3. Video out, damn it, is it that hard?

Dude27
November 25th, 2006, 18:42
I would like to see a system like Apple have choosen for his new mouse : a mini trackball which would be a very good way between a very FPS accurate (but too big) mouse and an (too slow and innacurate) analogic joystick... it would be a winner for me !

powerman500000
November 25th, 2006, 23:23
I just think the psp should be more shaped like the dual shock , and as usable (the missing buttons and analog stick being small.) I'd rather have usabilty rather than being able to stick in pocket. A bigger cpu value too maybe a gpu as well Nvidia based. Memory with at least 60gigs like the ipod video. A rechargeable battery belt (3rd Party) for on the go powersource.

vladiftodi
November 26th, 2006, 13:41
wih such a power, its a shame taht psp doesnt even have a calculator, alarm clock, calendar and soon :(
is psp2 had a second analogue, and a touchscreen, the it should also have some programs with it, like pspoffice and so on
what i mean homemade progrmas

goofsterstud
November 26th, 2006, 16:33
How are you going to press the buttons while using both thumbs and holding the psp?

I don't get it.

F9zDark
November 26th, 2006, 18:49
How are you going to press the buttons while using both thumbs and holding the psp?

I don't get it.

Thats the point really; for FPS games the shoulders work great for fire and use (or jump, or whatever other needed function). The face buttons wouldn't be used as much (since with another analog nub, they wouldn't need to be used for shit like move or aim...).

Some games would need the face buttons while others wouldn't and even some still could use the other nub sparingly for certain functions while using the face buttons more... Depends on the game.

pkmaximum
November 27th, 2006, 00:05
Great... this is going to shut out current PSP owners in the dark. Because now we will have to re-purchase the PSP if we want the full efect of a 2nd analog... and it will be a higher firmware =[

F9zDark
November 27th, 2006, 00:36
Yeah essentially. Its that way with any upgrade though really... Think of Gameboy and Gameboy color... But knowing Sony they would produce games for PSP and PSP2.0. Just that any game that required another nub would not be compatible.

Games that wouldn't need it (like RPGs, Puzzle games, etc) could work on both systems.

Jpdeathblade
November 27th, 2006, 01:07
How about this..

Its a PS controller with a flip top for the screen. So it would be a controller, have 2 nubs, feel comfertable, and look cool.

pkmaximum
November 27th, 2006, 01:22
I actually saw a hoax image of that once, the idea of it was kind of kool =]

It would definently stop things like the screen being scratched and stuff like that.

TacticalBread
November 27th, 2006, 07:17
Dual analog sticks would make it a lot better for FPSs. As it is right now, it's rather hard to play an FPS on PSP, and they can't be very fast paced, like say Halo or whatever. Medal of Honor would be quite improved, it it used two analog stick, because as it is right now it's pretty hard to play.