PDA

View Full Version : Re-setting and restoring my computer

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 02:36
i wouldnt post this unless it was exteamly urgent. My computer is a gateway WindowsXP, but recently its been running like windows95. Its increasingly slow and its giving me alot of problems. Its locking me out of programs and resetting installed functions as uninstalled. I want to know if theres something i can do to reset every thing. I want to wipe out everything of my computer except windowsXp. I just want to have it just as i first got it. Any ideas would really help

thank you

SnesR0X
November 25th, 2006, 03:38
have you tried to run a virus scan on it? sounds like you got some bad ones

Tetris999
November 25th, 2006, 03:43
..................... guntims there is no other way then FORMATTING the comp

but if you wish to do so, you can just do

C:/format

it will ask for Y or N

Oh i forgot to mention, do this in DOS mode

dont worry if you have windows xp disc and youre graphics discs than those will work just do it this order

OS
GRAPHICS
SOUND
some other stuff with teh CD'S

dont worry its just like formatting ure psp and dos wont be deleted so you dun gotta worry about it cuz thats the bios of the computer dude

add me to msn if u need help man

,but did you try a virus scan?

SnesR0X
November 25th, 2006, 03:49
wow, don't do anything stupid, most viruses you can clean off the comp, it's just takes a little time. Just download AVG free, google it, it helped my computer very nice, GREAT SUCCESS!

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 03:53
its not the virusus, I just need to reformat and wipe out everything i want it just as i first had it. I ran a virusus scan and i got all the virusus off my comp its still slow.

i just want to reformatt everything and make it as good as new

SnesR0X
November 25th, 2006, 04:17
well, are you going to back up your harddrive?

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 04:18
back up my hard drive???

you mean back up files like music games development things and such

SnesR0X
November 25th, 2006, 04:27
yes

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 04:31
no need as i plan to not put anything on my computer except a web browser

Mark30001
November 25th, 2006, 04:51
Yeah formatting works well. You'll just need an XP CD (or in your case a Gateway recovery disc).

Tetris999
November 25th, 2006, 04:54
cheah

NoQuarter
November 25th, 2006, 04:55
Just switch to linux and you more than likely wont have to worry about the problem your having again :P

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 05:00
ok so il get my windows XP disk ready and then try to format my computer. Hopfully my computer will clean up. Switch to linux i can do that? Well il just stick to windows XP as i have the disk i think i just have to look for it. Il just pop it in and run it or should i pop it in then go to :c/ format. Il try a little later after news posting.

NoQuarter
November 25th, 2006, 05:03
Of course you can switch to linux,it's free too.Not to mention the 3D desktop is awesome,if you can get it :)
If you have the windows XP disk you can just boot your computer with it in.Just make sure your bios is set up to boot from the cd drive.If you reinstall windows though your gonna have this problem again more than likely.I recommend ubuntu or suse for somebody whose used to windows.Did I mention free?
You can also dual boot and have linux and windows on the hard drive.

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 05:07
Of course you can switch to linux,it's free too.Not to mention the 3D desktop is awesome,if you can get it :)
If you have the windows XP disk you can just boot your computer with it in.Just make sure your bios is set up to boot from the cd drive.If you reinstall windows though your gonna have this problem again more than likely.I recommend ubuntu or suse for somebody whose used to windows.Did I mention free?

so how do i switch over to linux i dont want my computer crashing :p . i just want my computer to run better as of now it stinks

Tetris999
November 25th, 2006, 05:10
linux from what i know cant run some commericial games for the computer, i think

besides what makes linux cool anyway??

but yes do C:\format or C:\ format i dont think you put space and just use ure cd ez as that man

make sure you boot into dos from when you start ure comp not within the OS

NoQuarter
November 25th, 2006, 05:13
You just need to download a torrent or buy a $10 linux magazine.What I recommend you do is go ahead and install windows now then download the torrent for ubuntu or suse from their websites.Use nero or something to burn the ISO when your down then Install it just like windows.If you you want help you can pm me for step by step,it's really easy though.The two distro's I recommended are really easy to install and will resize your windows partition for you.Linux boxes rarely ever crash,plus it's a lot safer to get on the internet with.

Tetris there's a number of things that make linux rock,if you like graphics check out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjII1Ld47zc&mode=related&search=
Compare that to videos of winows vista then tell me what you think
Besides more and more games are getiing support now that linux's adoption rate has grown.

Low incidence of viruses,spyware and trojans..
Of course its cool, tux is a penguin:)
Haven't you seen fight club?

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 06:40
ok im gonna format my computer now hopfully everything goes well. How do i get into the actual C:/ command. I go thru cywin. Also im getting my windows XP disk now.

Tetris999
November 25th, 2006, 07:13
You just need to download a torrent or buy a $10 linux magazine.What I recommend you do is go ahead and install windows now then download the torrent for ubuntu or suse from their websites.Use nero or something to burn the ISO when your down then Install it just like windows.If you you want help you can pm me for step by step,it's really easy though.The two distro's I recommended are really easy to install and will resize your windows partition for you.Linux boxes rarely ever crash,plus it's a lot safer to get on the internet with.

Tetris there's a number of things that make linux rock,if you like graphics check out this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjII1Ld47zc&mode=related&search=
Compare that to videos of winows vista then tell me what you think
Besides more and more games are getiing support now that linux's adoption rate has grown.

Low incidence of viruses,spyware and trojans..
Of course its cool, tux is a penguin:)
Haven't you seen fight club?

holy freaking hell im impressed tell me more i need this thing!!!

hujiko
November 25th, 2006, 17:19
noo noo dont do anything of that, save all your stuff into a flash drive cdr cdrw dvr whatever you prefer. now get the windows cd you got when you bought the computer put it in your cd drive and reset the computer, now it shoud say
"press any key to boot from cd"
do as it says then a blue screen shoud come out,
now follow the steps when you get to repair partion dont repair ir delete it then install the partion on the onthe with the largest Mb and do a quick or full format (FAT)then it will start installing windows it shoud take 45 min around there.

hujiko
November 25th, 2006, 17:22
if it dosent say "press any key to boot from cd"
go to set up press i think f11 or F1 at beggining screent whenn you turn your pc on and set it up so you can boot from cd.

gunntims0103
November 25th, 2006, 17:27
if it dosent say "press any key to boot from cd"
go to set up press i think f11 or F1 at beggining screent whenn you turn your pc on and set it up so you can boot from cd.

all i have to do is find my windowsXP disk but im having no luck :(

Junixx
November 25th, 2006, 17:42
Well if you can't even find it you could always switch over to Linux, i recommend Ubuntu, it's simple to install, I used it for a while but then had to switch back to Win2000