PDA

View Full Version : Why can't anybody spell properly?

quzar
November 25th, 2006, 10:34
I'm frickin' sick of it. I say there should be a warning for gross mispelling. It is mostly prevelant in the psp section, but happens everywhere. I see such common words mispelled, or whole statements messed up to a point where it's unintelligable. (in a recent psp topic someone said rumar instead of rumour).

Anyways, I'm quite drunk atm, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that I say WTF?!?!?! What is with this horrible state of poor spelling?

bullhead
November 25th, 2006, 11:13
I think it's a case of pure laziness. And in some cases to try and be "hip"
/
I fink its cus dere lazy. An cuz dey wanna b hip.

bull, x

Amiga
November 25th, 2006, 11:34
being your from the colonies,you can not spell correctly anyway :P ;)

eg colour etc...

quzar
November 25th, 2006, 11:42
being you're from the colonies, you can not spell correctly anyway :P ;)

eg colour etc...

fixed.

Darksaviour69
November 25th, 2006, 12:39
lol

everyone get firefox 2.0 the spell check has changed my life!

quzar
November 25th, 2006, 12:43
lol

so has opera, since (iirc) v6 (maybe v7) via gnu aspell. It allows you to choose any of a huge list of languages to check and whatnot (including differences between UK and US english)

Amiga
November 25th, 2006, 14:54
fixed.

:thumbup:

acn010
November 25th, 2006, 14:57
lmfao!!!!!!!!!!
now what ?!?!?! avatars?!!
this is turning crazy, lol

Mark30001
November 25th, 2006, 15:21
I know, I can't stand it either! Well, I try my best to use correct spelling, punctuation, usage, and grammar on all forums I post on, as well as on IRC. :p

lol

Yep, made things much easier for me as well. :thumbup:

Gizmo356
November 25th, 2006, 16:21
Hoo misspellz wordz Iiev neber sean it beefour" beesidez hoo reely carez@

Accordion
November 25th, 2006, 17:55
i personally cannot stand major abreviations either.

lol
lmfao and other such nonsense is very annoying.
and so is the word "frickin' "

Video_freak
November 25th, 2006, 18:05
I can't stand major misspelling either. The worst part is that I think they're doing it to be "cool".

I love it too. :)

Junixx
November 25th, 2006, 18:05
I try to at least spell properly, but I know I don't use punctuations correctly.....and I know i use the lingo like "lol" and "lmao"

Now when it gets to 1337 speak like: "z0^^9! 1 ju$+ b0u6|-|+ a p$p & a |)$" then it gets kind of annoying because it take longer to type it than it does to read it!

JKKDARK
November 25th, 2006, 18:07
My english is horrible, and I'm still here :)

Destroyer699
November 25th, 2006, 18:35
I Luv Sp3lng Cor3ctley!1!1!11!1 It Has Chang3d Mah Fief!1!!!1 Wtf Also Fierfox Sux!111! Omg I Wil Dastroy Teh World Startng Wit Fierfox
L3t!!111!! Lol Da Revolution Bgin!1!1111!1 Omg Opara Wil Rul3(not Winfr3)!11!!! Omg Wtf

Cap'n 1time
November 25th, 2006, 19:53
I hate it. It is killing the internets.

Shadowblind
November 25th, 2006, 19:58
I dunno. I always thought people spell really well. Well, thats why we have hombrew here :)

the_eternal_dark
November 25th, 2006, 22:42
I can't stand major misspelling either. The worst part is that I think they're doing it to be "cool".

or to sound/look "ghetto" as some would say, others would say to sound/look 1337.

I've noticed it quite a bit more often now since more people have been joining lately, quzar.

quzar
November 25th, 2006, 22:43
and so is the word "frickin' "
I thought it might be inappropriate to use a proper swear.

As for a lot of the examples given, I'm not referring to intentional misspellings as they are ... intentional. Even though they are usually annoying they are fine by me compared to people who simply CAN'T SPELL really simple words. As well as the whole there, their, they're and ware, wear, where that for some reason many simply can't grasp.

nightcrawler420
November 25th, 2006, 22:53
This download has a spell check a good pop up blocker, a nice web page translator
down load now and see http://toolbar.google.com

Smurph
November 26th, 2006, 09:24
Approximately 1 to 3 percent of the world's population is retarded. How they managed to get on the internet, and why they all seem to end up on gaming boards, I do not know.

Kramer
November 26th, 2006, 09:33
Have you ever thought that some of the people on the internet dont speak english as their first language?

acn010
November 26th, 2006, 09:45
and some people are just lazy (including me)

Smurph
November 26th, 2006, 09:52
Have you ever thought that some of the people on the internet dont speak english as their first language?

Of course I have taken that into consideration. It's usually pretty clear when that's the case. They type broken english, not retarded english and/or eubonics.

Stump
November 26th, 2006, 17:10
well, I can spell it for you

P. R. O. P. E. R. L. Y.

Smurph
November 26th, 2006, 17:29

P. R. O. P. E. R. L. Y.

Wow, you're so clever.

Kramer
November 26th, 2006, 17:35

P. R. O. P. E. R. L. Y.

lol I like your attitude dude:thumbup:.

BTW who really gives a **** if people dont punctuate properly It's not unreadable so live with it and stop bitching about it.

dejkirkby
November 26th, 2006, 17:46
It's kind of sad when a moderator wants to give people warnings because they can't or choose not to spell properly.

quzar
November 26th, 2006, 17:55
i never said i wanted to give warnings. i just hate it that people have so little respect that they make us try to interpret the shit they type.

Cap'n 1time
November 26th, 2006, 18:09
wen dey talk like dis n stuff.

It pisses everyone off and in really just makes you look like an idiot. It is your right to act be a stupid ass mother ****er i suppose though.

quzar
November 26th, 2006, 18:14
wen dey talk like dis n stuff.

It pisses everyone off and in really just makes you look like an idiot. It is your right to act be a stupid ass mother ****er i suppose though.

it's the first commendment!

Accordion
November 26th, 2006, 18:37
it annoys me so much that i text message in full english as well...im not joking...it costs more, but its readable and correct

dejkirkby
November 26th, 2006, 18:41
I say there should be a warning for gross mispelling.

Actually you kinda did.
(see the misspelling I did there?)

quzar
November 26th, 2006, 19:01
Actually you kinda did.
(see the misspelling I did there?)

I still can't find where I said that. Also, I was talking about unintentional misspellings that make the text unreadable (which happens often).

dejkirkby
November 26th, 2006, 20:12
2nd sentence, first post.
Don't get me wrong intentional mis-spelling irks me too, but that's the nature of the internet. It would be grossly unfair if someone got a warning for poor spelling, equivalent to say, promoting warez.

NoQuarter
November 26th, 2006, 20:21
You really shouldn't let your pet peeve get to you so much quzar,spelling is not everyones forte

Accordion
November 26th, 2006, 21:51
actually i agree...to an extent
miss spelling should not be punished, but intentional perversion of language should be!

a warning only lasts 3 days anyway [i think... i may be wrong, ive never had one]

quzar
November 26th, 2006, 22:57
2nd sentence, first post.
Don't get me wrong intentional mis-spelling irks me too, but that's the nature of the internet. It would be grossly unfair if someone got a warning for poor spelling, equivalent to say, promoting warez.

d'oh. I was drunk. Either way if I wanted it to be a real warning I would bring it up in staff not here ;).

Also, the staff can do write-in warnings. It of course wouldn't be anywhere near warez, but there is already a one point warning both for writing in all caps and for writing in a foreign language. I think if someone came into a thread practically being unintelligible and expecting help, that a warning might show them to learn to spell if they expect help =P

warnings can last as long as we want them to. the standard is 30 days, sometimes we bump them higher if it's particularly bad so that it's remembered. The idea of them is that we get to keep track of trouble makers as well as automatic bannings if there are too many warnings

Accordion
November 26th, 2006, 23:18
ahh...well i was close...almost

acn010
November 26th, 2006, 23:49
lol, it think this thread is counter attaking to each person who is typing.....

VampDude
November 27th, 2006, 04:01

spell check???

can't anyone just type and spell words properly without the constant help of the classroom assistant?

I am probably one of the privileged few who had an education and can read and write properly...

...and no offence to the thickies who I often correct for their spellings, it's not their fault they can't read or write properly. it's mainly because they're somehow underprivileged (in the learning department) and mostly lazy teenagers, im 23 and there's nothing wrong with me thou most've the people I know are much older than me and are'nt as intellectual as myself which I find rather shocking!

Scorchiolio
November 27th, 2006, 04:13
I'm in your internets,
stealing your grammar.

:D

chrono75
November 29th, 2006, 05:01
Some people just can't spell.

Stump
November 29th, 2006, 20:04
why are you so interested in how people r spelling? that's ridicoulos?

Stump
November 29th, 2006, 20:06
It's kind of sad when a moderator wants to give people warnings because they can't or choose not to spell properly.

if some mods do that, i think that's way out in left field man,

sorry mods.