PDA

View Full Version : DEmul 0.1 released - new Dreamcast emulator for Windows

JKKDARK
November 25th, 2006, 14:58
Nice news, a new Dreamcast emulator called DEmul (http://demul.emulation64.com/) was released today! And it runs commercial games (see the compat list).

Heres the release news:

Hello from Russia! We are very proud to introduce you new DC emulator DEmul! We have been trying to write new emulator that will be able to run commercial games since first and only real DC emulator Chankast so far is stopped to develop.

Emulator was started to development early in 2004 year by Wind, but just canceled after Chankast released. About half a year it has been in hibernating, but Chanka was still imperfect and emu was continued to developing. About a year it takes before it shows up BIOS spiral, then early in 2006 year Wind found some emu-russia members and run his first most desired commercial game Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Next progress was very fast and last six of seven month took improvements and debugging.

Now emulator is able to run most commercial releases by various groups all along with homebrew demos and free software. We hope you enjoyed it.

Emulator still imperfect and incomplete. A lot of work still needed. Sound, timing and graphics need improvement and speed up. Since main developer is going to be little busy to do something with DEmul next year, we do not promise fast promoting and emulation progress. We try our best to fix as many bugs as we can and improve emulation.

Compatibility list with advanced features will be later all along with plugins SDK, docs and faqs. Anyway, you can ask your questions (not dumb, please;)) by e-mail, report about some bugs or progress, please, read README.TXT file before. If you interest in development, we will glad to see you on IRC channels or forums that will be available later too. ;)

Download and Give Feedback and Compatibility Reports Via Comments

Mark30001
November 25th, 2006, 15:32
Nice, it's downloading right now!

M Dash
November 25th, 2006, 15:45
Now this is excelent News for the Dreamcast scene!

:)

DrEaMcAsT 4eVeR!

Baboon
November 25th, 2006, 15:55
Hey top news!

I'll try this over the weekend. :)

Zion
November 25th, 2006, 16:33
this is sweet :D

BrooksyX
November 25th, 2006, 17:39
wow this is so awesome!

Mark30001
November 25th, 2006, 17:39
Has anyone else tried this new emulator? It runs a bit slow on my P4 machine, but still, great effort on the emulator!

JKKDARK
November 25th, 2006, 17:52
It runs with normal speed (50-60 fps) in my computer (athlon 64 3200+, radeon x600xt). Check this screenshots thread (http://forums.ngemu.com/dreamcast-emulation/81366-demul-0-1-screenshots-thread.html), I will add more :)

BrooksyX
November 25th, 2006, 17:53
Hey did you turn on the dynamic decompiler. It makes it run a lot faster but still not full speed.

go to config, then cpu mode, then pick dynarec

Mark30001
November 25th, 2006, 17:55
There we go. Thanks for the help!

BrooksyX
November 25th, 2006, 18:04
I got about 40 fps on Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber. I have Sempron 2800+, Ati 9600XT, and 512 mb ram system.

Cap'n 1time
November 25th, 2006, 18:09
Hello from Russia! We are very proud to introduce you new DC emulator DEmul! We have been trying to write new emulator that will be able to run commercial games since first and only real DC emulator Chankast so far is stopped to develop.

Chankast? First REAL dc emulator?... I know a few people who would love to argue this point.

JKKDARK
November 25th, 2006, 18:14
I think he's saying the first running commercial games..

SnoopKatt
November 25th, 2006, 18:16
Wow, good news, I'll try it out sometime :)

fackue
November 25th, 2006, 22:37
Chankast? First REAL dc emulator?... I know a few people who would love to argue this point.
You're right. He probably meant to say released. After all, English isn't their native language.

zodttd
November 25th, 2006, 23:35
Oh yes! I've been talking to someone from Chankast's project for awhile and I'm still not sure why it was stopped. :) ...I'm really glad to see someone take up such a large project!

Eric
November 26th, 2006, 06:53
Alright yeah they said this emulator aint perfect but heres a screen of Soul Caliber. The game has missing gfx and is slow as for sound well as you know if you tested the emulator the sound is quite garbbled. Just wait for a later release.

Eric

Vangar
November 26th, 2006, 11:36
Try not to run it on such a high resolution.

This is a great release for the DC scene :D!

EDIT: Ok, this emulator is ok, but it needs some work to get up to ChankaST speeds. As of current my 3Ghz, 1Gig RAM computer only runs Sonic Adventure 2 at 29fps, and even then when the level starts all thats there is a garbled mess no matter what settings i pick. Still nice to see DC isn't being forgotten.

JKKDARK
November 26th, 2006, 14:00
Gundam Battle Online

My specs:
Athlon 64 3200+
Radeon X600XT

plugins config:
gpuDX
spuDemul
gdrDemul
padDemul

resolution: 640X480
List Sorting added
Alpha Z-Write Disable added

CPU Mode: Dynarec

SSaxdude
November 26th, 2006, 17:22
I hope we get 100% compatibility one day.

isamu
November 29th, 2006, 10:22
Any word on how well Daytona USA runs?

JKKDARK
November 29th, 2006, 20:09
Any word on how well Daytona USA runs?

And you asked it at NGEmu =P

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 1st, 2006, 15:24
eric what grafx r missing besides i guess those letters? do they have to put info from every game in to these emus to get it to play everything right? and can u play any games online? anyone got an online game pls try that out 4 me :)

JKKDARK
December 1st, 2006, 18:37
eric what grafx r missing besides i guess those letters? do they have to put info from every game in to these emus to get it to play everything right? and can u play any games online? anyone got an online game pls try that out 4 me :)

What are you talking about? You can't play online.

1stvinicius
December 1st, 2006, 22:01
ok, all i got with this emu when i press the run button is a larger window. It does nothing more than that (if i press the button again then it makes it larger again and again). Has anyone get this prob?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

fackue
December 2nd, 2006, 00:38
Nope, not at all. I assume you've already played with the plugins then?

1stvinicius
December 2nd, 2006, 12:43
Thanks there. I got it running but with lots of glitches. The grafx are all looking as simple rectangles and the keyboard doesn't work even after configuring the pad plugin.

The good news is that it appears to work with homebrew software.

fackue
December 2nd, 2006, 20:57
I had the same problem configuring the controls as did another person at Emuforums so I'm attaching my copy to this post. Just drop your bios and flash in the bios folder (read Note.txt).

The controls are:
DC - PC
Start - Enter
A - A
B - S
C - D
D - F
X - Z
Y - X
Z - C
R-Trig - Q
L-Trig - W
D-Left - Left
D-Right - Right
D-Up - Up
D-Down - Down
A-Left - Num4
A-Right - Num6
A-Up - Num8
A-Down - Num2

mh777
December 2nd, 2006, 21:26
Fighting Vipers 2

Playable (with some very minor graphics glitches).

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 6th, 2006, 01:43
how the hell do u set this emu up? i have no idea how to configure the pluggins or use games..