PDA

View Full Version : Links Web Browser Working in DSLinux

wraggster
November 25th, 2006, 21:17
Our very good friend GPF has posted a screenshot of the Links Web Browser working in DS Linux, heres a screenshot:

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/linksG4s.png

Heres last nights newspost:

Hi, I finally made some progress with getting graphics enabled in links browser under dslinux and wanted to share it before I went to bed.

links -g -dither-images 1 -display-optimize 1 -html-image-scale 50 www.google.com

My port of gpm to dslinux still needs some work in libgpm, so the mouse isn't working yet. And there are alot of graphicaly problems with fonts, but the graphics show up great if they fit the screen size

Troy(GPF)

Heres todays update:

I have made more progress this evening and have got the mouse working in links now, with some updates to libgpm

so far this seems to be the best way to start it
links -g -dither-images 1 -display-optimize 1 -html-image-scale 90 -menu-font-size 8 -aspect-on 1 -dither-letters 1 -html-user-font-size 8 www.google.com

It's working pretty good so far, still some problems with screen not refreshing and some font problems in the menus and occasionally in the screen.

The good thing is if you don't specifigy -g when starting links, it works as before except if GPM is running, you can use the text console mouse

Troy(GPF)

Full information at GPFs Site on our Network here --> http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Joel92
November 25th, 2006, 22:38
so, is this webbrowser fully functional in dslinux?!

this is so amazing!

Junixx
November 25th, 2006, 23:27
Holy crap this is some really good news, I'm going to have to redownload DSLinux again...:D

Wait this probably uses the RAM in SC and M3 doesnt it :(

G0nan
November 25th, 2006, 23:33
I tried it and got "Graphics not enabled when compiling" msg. How do I fix?

Junixx
November 25th, 2006, 23:53
I can't even get it working, I installed DSlinux and got logged in, and I think i got the links browser on there...but could please explain how you got it to work?

Tennisgy
November 26th, 2006, 04:10
you must have the ram download package

GPF
November 26th, 2006, 04:36
this is a WIP, it hasn't been submitted yet. Hopefully I get some of the last issues worked out and then I will submitted patches to be added to the dslinux builds.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Junixx
November 26th, 2006, 04:40
Ahh ok then....so then it does require a SC or M3 then?

linkenski
November 26th, 2006, 07:03
the worst thing is that i am 13 years only and my parents wont let me buy new homebrew stuff. :(

Bonic
November 26th, 2006, 08:49
When did you buy homebrew? You download it!

Anyway, I'm ****ing pissed, can't ANYONE make a web browser WITHOUT DSLINIX?! I tried DS Linix(Yes, I made a MMD version for myself XD) it sucks..

Vegetable
November 26th, 2006, 10:20
the worst thing is that i am 13 years only and my parents wont buy me new homebrew stuff. :(

Fixed for accuracy.

Tennisgy
November 26th, 2006, 16:41
Uhh, Im only 13 years old. I suggest just asking for a gift.

Vegetable
November 26th, 2006, 17:14
You kids really are spoiled rotten these days, aren't you?

Cap'n 1time
November 26th, 2006, 18:04

I would assume he means buying some sort of flash cart or ds device... either that or hes just a moron. 13 year olds dont have to be stupid spoiled kids that dont learn how to do stuff on their own.

Also DSlinux is THE greatest app the DS. Why? Because its is actually USEFUL! (not that their arnt some pretty nice apps out there) Links is a very good minimalist browser and I imagine doing a links with image support was just for shits and giggles. This is a neat project and could potentially turn into somthing great (quick little email client (not sure if PINE is ported to DSlinux but that would be somthing also), web image viewer, comic reader, news reader etc). If you want to do some casual web browsing though naturally I would suggest buying the Opera DS browser, if its not out by now it will be very very soon.

great work as always gpf. and yes i am trying to hint to you the idea of pine on dslinux :thumbup:
http://www.washington.edu/pine/
:thumbup:

kcajblue
November 26th, 2006, 23:31
i think ill wait for a working homebrew internet browser.

DanTheManMS
November 27th, 2006, 01:20
Anyway, I'm ****ing pissed, can't ANYONE make a web browser WITHOUT DSLINIX?! I tried DS Linix(Yes, I made a MMD version for myself XD) it sucks..

It's Linux, not Linix. I like how your title is "DS Coder" yet you fail to realize the enormous challenge that making a DS web browser would be. If it was easy, it would have been done already. The DSLinux browsers are only available because they already exist for normal Linux and were ported over to the DS.

i think ill wait for a working homebrew internet browser.

Um, then what exactly do you consider this? DSLinux is indeed homebrew, and it sports two web browsers, both of which are working, so it is indeed a working homebrew web browser.

If you mean a standalone browser that doesn't require DSLinux, the two major projects are Okiwi (http://okiwi.blogspot.com/) and Gnirfleo (http://gnirfleo.blogspot.com/) although neither really has anything to show yet.

kcajblue
November 28th, 2006, 01:53
DSLinux is indeed homebrew, and it sports two web browsers, both of which are working, so it is indeed a working homebrew web browser.

If you mean a standalone browser that doesn't require DSLinux, the two major projects are Okiwi (http://okiwi.blogspot.com/) and Gnirfleo (http://gnirfleo.blogspot.com/) although neither really has anything to show yet.i know that DS Linux has working browsers, but i dont like DS Linux and i did mean a browser that doesnt need DS Linux.

G0nan
November 28th, 2006, 13:20
Call me cynical but could you please provide a dl of the compiled linux with image based links. Ppl have been claiming to be working on a web browser with images for months now and so far no one has actually released anything remotely functional in this regard. Even seeing something that isn't completely perfect would be nice at this point, instead of images of google on a ds that may or may not be real. :)

G0nan
November 29th, 2006, 03:08
Yeah, as in not "Yes" but Yeah.
Yeah See!

TeenDev
November 29th, 2006, 03:21

oh shut up ur probably a 30 year old guy living in a ur mom's basement:p

(ha im pulling a 'tondopie'):rofl:

Sonny_Jim
November 29th, 2006, 12:42
Call me cynical but could you please provide a dl of the compiled linux with image based links. Ppl have been claiming to be working on a web browser with images for months now and so far no one has actually released anything remotely functional in this regard. Even seeing something that isn't completely perfect would be nice at this point, instead of images of google on a ds that may or may not be real. :)

I can defintely tell you that this is real. Do you really think GPF would fake something and then post it in his own name to the site that hosts his?

The reason why it got together so quick is that instead of having to write it from scratch, all the DSLinux team had to do was to change the source code slightly (it's called porting) so it would compile for the DS. This was easy with Links as it's a relatively simple webbrowser.

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants I believe the phrase is.

The reason why noone else has coded a working browser is because (IMHO) their development method is completely wrong. The GUI should be the LAST thing you code, not the first. Most of the other projects I've seen were way too preoccupied with getting a nice UI rather than a decent HTML engine.

Last I heard was that he had GPM working better, I'm just waiting for him to commit his changes to CVS so I can have a play. :-)

Oh, and it'll probably need the 32M extension found on the Supercards and the M3. DO NOT BUY a SC RUMBLE if you want to use DSLinux, as the RUMBLE does not have the 32M RAM.

Hope this clears things up.

P.S It'll be done when it's done. Trying to make the author release his work early because 'you don't believe it' is a crap excuse for being impatient

G0nan
November 29th, 2006, 13:38
Yeah, you're right...sorry about being impatient.
BTW, I'm a 32 year old in my own damn basement!!! ;)

Payk
November 29th, 2006, 14:26
TROY: Your did your job ;)
Great, go on like that, i always liked your ports and efforts you are investigating *thumbsup*

And of course i beleave GPF, he doesnt seem to be interested in faking such a thing. He is more interested in doing such a thing. :D

Joel92
November 30th, 2006, 03:33
so, does the new links browser come included in the new dslinux? version? or is it still being developed?

TeenDev
December 1st, 2006, 02:48
Yeah, you're right...sorry about being impatient.
BTW, I'm a 32 year old in my own damn basement!!! ;)

sorry dude. didn't mean 2 offend you:o

i just wanted to make fun of my good friend tondopie

Joel92
December 1st, 2006, 02:59
well, is this browser out yet?

DanTheManMS
December 1st, 2006, 04:29
No, not yet. Don't worry, it'll be announced when the patch becomes integrated with the existing DSLinux nightly builds.