PDA

View Full Version : Flash0 full -> relinking?

Virus.exe
November 26th, 2006, 10:36
Why is everyone so sad about the fact that flash0 doesn't have enough space to store 3.00 SE (if it will come, but just for the idea). I mean, just make it like the following:

Flash0 does contain the recovery menu & recovery eboot. All firmware files are redirected to ms0:\300SE\flash0 and voila, plug in your MS and you just run your firmware off your memory stick. This would be 10x more efficient, because you can freely hack without any bricking risk, just recopy all the files! There's no limit, except your MS limit. But since *almost* everyone has a 256MB+ it would be no problemo! :thumbup:
Heh, and sorry 32mb users, but homebrew just needs more than that :p

Go Dark_Alex, i hope you can do something with this idea!

~Virus.exe

acn010
November 26th, 2006, 10:51
did you tried it?

splodger15
November 26th, 2006, 11:02
I dont think it is that simple

Virus.exe
November 26th, 2006, 11:59
I think it is, because devhook can, so it is possible.
And no, I didn't tried it since i don't have a modchip ;)

splodger15
November 26th, 2006, 12:05
So basically what you are saying is you want a 3.00 se b off the meory stick but devhook is a firmware emulator not a se b very :confused:

Virus.exe
November 26th, 2006, 12:17
no, i mean that devhook relinks too, when you run from the flash...

splodger15
November 26th, 2006, 12:45
Ok just do a full expalanation again i think i might no what you mean

Axelius
November 26th, 2006, 12:58
I think I understand what he means...Something like an external firmware, which isn't stored in the flash.

As I am a 2.80 user I'm not able to use devhook, but as far as I understand what this program does this could be the solution to this problem because there shouldn't be any problem with a maximum file size...

Virus.exe
November 26th, 2006, 13:00
Hmm, flash0 contains:

- Recovery menu SE has now
- Empty folders (like the original flash0 has)
- Code like devhook has, that REDIRECTS every file requested from flash0 to ms0:/300SE (or whatever you wanna call it)

MS0 contains:
- 300SE
|- kd
|- etc, all real firmware files.

got it? :)

Axelius
November 26th, 2006, 13:38
Yeah, it might work. The only thing that is needed that this can work is some code that allows something like a link. And I don't think this is supported. But hey, I'm not a coder, actually I have no idea what is possible and what not...:confused:

Virus.exe
November 26th, 2006, 13:44
Well, that's why i called devhook. Devhook does it somehow. You know, when you run it like 271SE(NANDFLASH). It relinks, or whatever it's called. And that's what i mean ;)

Cloudhunter
November 26th, 2006, 14:53
Well, that's why i called devhook. Devhook does it somehow. You know, when you run it like 271SE(NANDFLASH). It relinks, or whatever it's called. And that's what i mean ;)

Hmm... What you are suggesting is possible, but hard to do. However, it would require similar emulation to which devhook does I believe.

I don't think we are quite out of room yet though ;) so don't count out a 3.0SE.

Cloudy

Virus.exe
November 26th, 2006, 15:11
I'm not really counting on it, hehe :) It was just an idea for other developers if they want to code something, but ain't possible. I really hope DAX reads this, and could make a better SE firmware. Maybe 2.8 first. Is it that hard? Whats the major difference except the kernel security? :)

NoQuarter
November 26th, 2006, 16:55
you would probably lose some performance running the firmware from the memory stick

Axelius
November 26th, 2006, 20:45
Well, you could just swap out files that aren't used so often...Like the video codecs...you only have to load them when you want to watch a video etc...

Edit: Hey just got an idea: Perhaps theres some space left on flash1...Perhaps you could place some files there. I think flash1 should be just as fast as flash0

Virus.exe
November 27th, 2006, 07:00
I'm not quite sure, but i believe that flash1 has way les space than flash0. Only a few mb i guess :)

belialone
November 28th, 2006, 10:16
if i look at the psp as a normal computer when i press the power button the pc turns on then its loading the graphic bios and the bios then the OS
my idea is now to write something like a bootloader for the psp
a program that is loaded from flash on psp bootup that can load different firmware versions stored on memstick
it would help all the people who are afraid of flashing around their psp everytime a new custom firmware is available

splodger15
November 28th, 2006, 13:52
^ ^
That would be hard

S34MU5
November 28th, 2006, 14:01
Yeh but when devhook does it,
its slow.
and then when your MStick is out or formatted
etc
you cant do it

Your shit

Virus.exe
December 5th, 2006, 17:26
Damn, what's wrong with the people on these boards?!

Oh, and i never knew i was shit, thanks..