PDA

View Full Version : Resistance = 17.75GB of garbage?

wraggster
November 26th, 2006, 22:20
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/26/resistance-17-75gb-of-garbage/)

Resistance: Fall of Man was billed to be the defining game for why Blu-ray exists in the first place. Resistance developers Insomniac stated that the game took up 22GB of space and that all those bits and bytes were necessary to make the game work. It would seem that ripping the disk in Linux shows otherwise.

A NeoGAF forum member by the name of squatingyeti posted a long list of padding files on the Resistance disk; the padding took up approximately 17.75GB of space. Padding is frequently used to push data to the outer edges of the disk to improve read times, but Blu-ray is supposed to be a constant read over the entire disk.

It is possible that the data isn't fully true and we would like to see some confirmation. However, if this report that 81% of Resistance is just empty filler and could fit on a single-layer DVD is true, will this put a hole in Sony's claim that Blu-ray is absolutely necessary this generation? The padding isn't needed to make the read speeds any better and (if true) is a lame way for Sony to justify Blu-ray for gaming.

[Update 1] We got our answer, the entire thing is blown way out of proportion. There are still padding files, but they are a relatively meager 420MB per region.

Zion
November 26th, 2006, 22:27
lol

Elven6
November 26th, 2006, 22:49
So you pay more for a game with updated FMV footage? What a waste!

C0R3F1GHT3R
November 26th, 2006, 22:59
this actually wouldn't really surprise me. What is really needed this day and time to save space is higher/faster compressing and decrypting programs for games. What they need to do is in the time a game is loading up the drive it needs to cache memory it will use alot onto the hard drive. I know the xbox 360 does this but i don't think its in effect that much, because most of friends have not noticed any real big difference in having a hard drive or not on the xbox 360. I wouldn't know i dont own one.

LilSwish722
November 26th, 2006, 23:10
ah...sony is such a liar so this seems the kind of thing that they would pull with the blu-ray discs

Miria
November 27th, 2006, 10:20
Blu Ray should have only been for high definition movies not game playing as it doesnt seem they have improved loading times... The guy that talks about the xbx360 and decrypstion timings is a really smart guy..

belialone
November 27th, 2006, 10:57
hmm if you quick review the history of consoles you will see that the games released 1-2 years never go to the limits of the hardware
also if you look at what on gamediscs consumes the most space
it is clearly FullMotionVideo
to fill up a 40GB blueray disc youll need a huge amount of FMVs in HD resolution within the game

tunglashor
November 27th, 2006, 12:10
Just to point out that Joystiq have updated this article basically retracting this claim. i.e. it's BS.

masterpaul
November 27th, 2006, 14:57
Well, only Sony lies.

digitalpedro
November 27th, 2006, 19:25
I agree with belialone alot of the first games on the ps2 were actually on CD but now nearly all the space on a dvd is being used up, it's just a matter of time before the massive space on blue ray is exploited by developers.

I dont understand why people compain about blueray surely bigger is better. (once upon a time we used cartridges for games but things move on)

PSPFR3AK
November 28th, 2006, 01:42
"As we moved into the final week of finishing up the game we made two big changes which dropped the size of the final disc to just over 16Gb – still pretty large nonetheless."

http://blogs.ign.com/Ted-Insomniac/2006/10/19/

SSaxdude
November 28th, 2006, 02:10
The other day I saw somewhere that Madden 07 for PS3 was dumped and it was only 7 gb. I imagine there is even some padding there.

PSPFR3AK
November 28th, 2006, 07:53
The other day I saw somewhere that Madden 07 for PS3 was dumped and it was only 7 gb. I imagine there is even some padding there.

Madden its a port.