PDA

View Full Version : PSP to benefit from new EMI Music deal

Darksaviour69
November 27th, 2006, 11:08
Video downloads hoped to boost ailing hardware performance

The PSP has received a boost from major record label EMI Music UK, with a deal that will allow users to download music videos direct to the Sony handheld.

Admitting that the performance of the PSP has been disappointing, MD of HiFi Entertainment Bela Molnar, the company offering EMI content via its online store, believes this deal is what the format needs to revive flagging interest in the machine.

"The quick downturn of the UMD market has left many of the big believers of the format disappointed, including us," said Molnar.

"We knew that the PSP market is huge, but it needed a different platform to provide content to users."

EMI Music UK's entire music video library will be made available to users of psp-playlist.com, downloaded directly to the a memory stick and priced between GBP 1.89 and GBP 2.19.

"PSP owners are substantial in number and content hungry," said Graeme Rogan, commercial manager of digital media for EMI Music UK.

"This deal will give consumers of the PSP format access to videos from EMI Music UK's rich back catalogue, generating incremental sales for our artists," he added.

Eurogamer.net (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21349)

belialone
November 27th, 2006, 11:24
hmm itunes for psp kinda
i could see that work
but i see one problem it might need the 3.01 FW
any info on this?

steve-b
November 27th, 2006, 11:34
I'd guess the best method would be thru the web browser. Let's hope that is the case.

but to be honest, if i'm downloading tunes, I'm going to do it on my PC and then transfer to PSP/MP3/Phone/whatever. I hope they do not tie the downloads to just your psp/ps3 or this idea will fail

goaliedude
November 27th, 2006, 12:46
meh it culd work but required 3.01! this wont catch on...

Avenyet
November 27th, 2006, 13:02
not unless fw 3.01 get cracked which is no time soon... well atleast sony ARE trying to win us back kinda..

TCLCloud
November 27th, 2006, 14:09
Finally starting to use their brains, about time, this is what the psp needs

dejkirkby
November 27th, 2006, 14:18
Too late Sony, The carrots you dangle in front of us have gone mouldy.
The ps1 emu you tried to tempt us with sucks balls. (needing ps3 connectivity, you money grabbing SOB's.)
If I was that bothered about watching music videos on thego, I'd have switched on MTV Hits, and recorded them on my Archos.
Listen to the consumers and bring out decent GAMES for you portable GAMES consoles. Stop trying to be Jack of all trades, because as the saying goes. Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Veskgar
November 27th, 2006, 14:52
You said it. This is another example of something that should have been in place for the PSP on day 1, 2 years ago. And the only way I would ever go for something like this is if the service provider partnered with SanDisk and offered FREE 4GB or 8GB PRO Duo's with a yearly subscription or after a certain amount of music purchases.

The PSP is an incredible multimedia device with terrible storage options.

You'd think by now SONY would at least put out their OWN mass storage device for use with the PSP to make the PSP a better choice against iPod or Zune.

I give up! Thank you for the PSP SONY but its the homebrew scene that allows me to get immense enjoyment out of it, not you.

penileartery
November 27th, 2006, 18:00
exactly. if it wasnt for the homebrew scene. i would have already lost my psp somewhere in zimbabwe

Basil Zero
November 27th, 2006, 21:14
uhh, its not over till its over, and sony's proving it with what they are doing with their psp.

this will be a good installment for psp

snkrock25
November 27th, 2006, 22:44
These vids cost money??? no thanks.

irongiant
November 28th, 2006, 13:06
The ps1 emu you tried to tempt us with sucks balls. (needing ps3 connectivity, you money grabbing SOB's.)

Have you not read the articles regarding this at all or do you just enjoy spreading misinformation?

The PS1 download direct to PSP will be coming before the end of the year, they've done it first for the PS3 as a thankyou and nice feature for those who own both a PSP and PS3.

dejkirkby
November 28th, 2006, 13:39
Is it available now? No, it isnt.
How come whenever I say anything, you have to slate me. Piss off.

Baboon
November 28th, 2006, 13:56
The PS1 download direct to PSP will be coming before the end of the year, they've done it first for the PS3 as a thankyou and nice feature for those who own both a PSP and PS3.

Ahh.... No, thank you $ony, your just soooo generous! ...It’s just a shame I’ll have to remortgage my house just to be able to afford both of your consoles (thats when ever the PS3 does come to the UK?). :mad: lol

I stick with homebrew thanks very much, its a case of ‘too little too late’.

Back on topic this whole music download thing could be quite good (doesn’t really interest me though), but to be honest I’d just be happy if $ony would concentrate of delivering some decent games, rather than the cack they’ve churned out so far.

dejkirkby
November 28th, 2006, 14:04
Like I said, in my first post, if I wanted to watch music I'd record it on my £300 Archos rather than pay per video.