PDA

View Full Version : PS3 KillZone Most Expensive Game Ever?

gunntims0103
November 28th, 2006, 03:21
news via ve3d (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/747/747726p1.html)

November 27, 2006 - It looks like Sony is is going all-out for KillZone on the PS3:

Today, the long silence on the game was broken by the Dutch newspaper de Volksrant. In an article titled, "A video game more expensive than the most expensive film," the daily highlights the next-gen Killzone and its developer, Amsterdam-based and Sony-owned Guerilla Games. The piece's name comes from the fact that the game is costing more to develop than the priciest film in Dutch history, director Paul Verhoeven's World War II thriller Black Book (Zwartboek).

While Black Book cost more than 16 million euros (approximately $21 million), Guerilla won't mention specific numbers for Killzone's budget. "Our budget tops [the film]," said Killzone director Arjan Brussee. "We're working on the biggest multimedia project in Dutch history."

PSPFR3AK
November 28th, 2006, 08:08
i hope you can jump this time in killzone
i mean come on a soldier cant surpass a sidewalk
:D

Darksaviour69
November 28th, 2006, 09:31
well shenmue cost over $50 million.....

ElRazur
November 28th, 2006, 12:51
I dont know but i hope all these monies is well spent into making the end product - The game itself.

Many things are expensive but it dosent necessarily cuts it for what it is.

irongiant
November 28th, 2006, 12:58
well shenmue cost over $50 million.....

Yeah but they're saying most expensive in Holland. If the game is anything like the trailer then we're in for a treat.. though that trailer is a lot to live upto!

Darksaviour69
November 28th, 2006, 13:12
and the trailer was cgi....

S34MU5
November 28th, 2006, 13:23
the trailer was CGI
but the game will own!

like the first one!

pspfreak sig a bit big?

Vegetable
November 28th, 2006, 16:28
In Dutch history? Who cares about movies that came from the Dutch?

ElRazur
November 28th, 2006, 16:47
In Dutch history? Who cares about movies that came from the Dutch?

The dutch? what a tool! Will you care if it was an american hollywood flick, indian bollywood, nigerian nollywood or a british movie? You seem to miss the point.

F9zDark
November 28th, 2006, 18:17
I can't wait for the next Killzone, I really liked the first one, but I hope they ditch the analog acceleration crap like they had in the first one. That makes aiming so difficult.

Vegetable
November 28th, 2006, 23:26
The dutch? what a tool! Will you care if it was an american hollywood flick, indian bollywood, nigerian nollywood or a british movie? You seem to miss the point.

I'm afraid you are the one that has missed the point. Saying that something cost more money than the most expensive movie will lead you to naturally assume it was an American movie such as Titanic. These people are mincing words and saying "It was more expensive than the most expensive movie... somewhere".

Fact: Hollywood produces the most expensive movies in the world.

If you're going to state that a game took more money to develop than the priciest movie, it damn well better be an American movie or you can color me unimpressed.

F9zDark
November 28th, 2006, 23:31
And some American movies have the reputation of being among the worst movies ever made. So money is not always everything.

More money doesn't always equal a better product, but even still, they specified Dutch movies; if you aren't impressed thats you, but its not like they failed to specify and garnered praise from a lie.

ElRazur
November 28th, 2006, 23:38
I'm afraid you are the one that has missed the point. Saying that something cost more money than the most expensive movie will lead you to naturally assume it was an American movie such as Titanic. These people are mincing words and saying "It was more expensive than the most expensive movie... somewhere".

Fact: Hollywood produces the most expensive movies in the world.

If you're going to state that a game took more money to develop than the priciest movie, it damn well better be an American movie or you can color me unimpressed.

Nah, you clearly still dont get it. Whether Hollywood makes the expensive movie ever is not the debate. What the article was saying is that Killzone is costing much to make when compared to the most expensive dutch movie and could it be the most expensive game ever on that level, and then you come out saying who cares.... blah blah blah... hence why i replied to your statement.
As for the rest of your post, if you go back to my initial post, i did mention that Not every expensve things live up to the expectation...Need i say more?

Vegetable
November 30th, 2006, 07:05
Nah, you clearly still dont get it. Whether Hollywood makes the expensive movie ever is not the debate. What the article was saying is that Killzone is costing much to make when compared to the most expensive dutch movie and could it be the most expensive game ever on that level, and then you come out saying who cares.... blah blah blah... hence why i replied to your statement.
As for the rest of your post, if you go back to my initial post, i did mention that Not every expensve things live up to the expectation...Need i say more?

Are you seriously that dense? Using a Dutch movie as a bar for development budgets is incredibly stupid. Stop missing the point, for Christ's sake.

ElRazur
November 30th, 2006, 12:22
I aint commenting again on this issue. I will let others have their say.

F9zDark
December 1st, 2006, 01:50
Are you seriously that dense? Using a Dutch movie as a bar for development budgets is incredibly stupid. Stop missing the point, for Christ's sake.

Being that a Dutch company is making the game, of course they are going to use something from their home turf to aid in proving their point. Not to mention, the only reason why American movies cost so much is because the American actors and actresses in those movies are paid far more than they deserve.

ElRazur
December 1st, 2006, 15:30
Being that a Dutch company is making the game, of course they are going to use something from their home turf to aid in proving their point. Not to mention, the only reason why American movies cost so much is because the American actors and actresses in those movies are paid far more than they deserve.

I think he will argue that you are dense too.

Vegetable
December 1st, 2006, 19:37

That does make sense, but they are preaching this to the rest of the world; I assume a lot of the people this message is reaching haven't even seen a Dutch movie before, meaning there has been absolutely zero bar set.

F9zDark
December 1st, 2006, 20:38
That does make sense, but they are preaching this to the rest of the world; I assume a lot of the people this message is reaching haven't even seen a Dutch movie before, meaning there has been absolutely zero bar set.

You have a point there; people from the US or Japan won't have any standard to go on but their own.

I have never seen a Dutch movie either, so I can't judge either; but they did provide us with an approximation of the money spent using the movie's budget as the bar. The USD is damn near universal.

Its interesting to realize that, game's budgets are hardly ever disclosed (this is the first time I have ever heard of a game's budget, period. Even though we have no specific value.)

So to me, that also speaks rather loudly for their point (and maybe is their point entirely). I have never heard of any game's budget. So to finally hear of a company disclosing information about the budget of one of their games can indicate that the budget is so significant that its in fact worth mentioning.

I agree that maybe the Dutch movie wasn't the greatest comparison, since we have no way to base the quality of Dutch movies (or at least I and probably many others don't). Which is where the almighty US dollar comes in. But maybe the lionshare of their point is riding on the fact that games' budgets are rarely disclosed.

Vegetable
December 2nd, 2006, 16:34
I have never heard of any game's budget. So to finally hear of a company disclosing information about the budget of one of their games can indicate that the budget is so significant that its in fact worth mentioning.

On that I can agree.

cloud_952
December 2nd, 2006, 17:31
I fully agree here: That's totally useless to say that its budget is "higher than the most expensive Dutch movie". Sure, maybe it is, but who really cares? People are missing the point left and right: this has nothing to do with quality of American films or of the amount of money spent on movies in other countries.

This article is like saying that someone's special because they're the first person to stand on their head EVER... in their city. Not in the state/county. Not in the country. Not in the world. Just their city. That's abusing statistics to make something actually sound impressive.

So, congrats on being the most expensive game in Holland. But we make more expensive games, and so does Japan, FREQUENTLY. So.. screw it. Waste of an article.

F9zDark
December 3rd, 2006, 03:03
So, congrats on being the most expensive game in Holland. But we make more expensive games, and so does Japan, FREQUENTLY. So.. screw it. Waste of an article.

Where's your evidence for this? If the US and Japan frequently produced games that were extremely costly (in the Millions) I reckon that such would be a huge determining factor in the industry (as is the case with Hollywood).