PDA

View Full Version : PS2, PSP sales surge; PS3 officially sold out

wraggster
November 28th, 2006, 21:22
This week, the obvious became official: The first batch of the PlayStation 3 is gone. "All PS3s brought into the US last week sold out," Dave Karraker, Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior vice president of corporate communications, told GameSpot. "Feedback from our retail partners is that demand is still incredibly high and that PS3s put on store shelves were quickly snapped up by holiday shoppers."

Though he declined to give a specific quantity of day-one PS3 stock, the executive did say that Sony was on target to bring 1 million units to North America by year's end. "We will continue to utilize airfreight delivery for the PlayStation 3 to ensure a steady stream of systems for North American consumers through the end of the year," promised Karraker. Some retailers, such as GameStop, have already reported receiving a second batch of the console, which is still fetching upward of $1,000 on eBay.

Demand also appears to be high for Sony's current-generation platforms. Though he didn't give specific numbers, Karraker said sales of the PlayStation 2 rose 116.5 percent during the week of November 26 when compared to the week prior. The PSP fared even better, enjoying a week-over-week increase of 280.5 percent. First-party software sales for the PS2 and PSP increased 120.6 percent and 167.9 percent, respectively; third-party software sales percentages were not provided.

Via Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6162395.html)

splodger15
November 28th, 2006, 21:25
It was obvious they were going to sell out

Jpdeathblade
November 28th, 2006, 21:29
I just called all my local stores and the only people wh got shipments are walmart on dec 6th and kmart who got a shipment today but have no clue whats on it =/

Still hoping (my mother made me a bet saying if i could get my hands on one she woul buy it, not knowing of course about the weekly shipments)

Xiofire
November 28th, 2006, 22:03
Wanna get a PS3 when it comes out in Europe, but over $1000 for one!?!?!?!? No way!

Basil Zero
November 29th, 2006, 00:19
lol, quite obvious, people who want to get a ps3 but not yet cause they dont have enough games from ps2, bought ps2 instead so they can build their collection up or until good titles come out on PS3.

TacticalBread
November 29th, 2006, 00:22
Obviously PS3 is sold out. If you didn't get in line the day before launch, you weren't going to get one. It sold out probably less than an hour after launch.