PDA

View Full Version : PSP release: PspIrda

blackrave
November 29th, 2006, 14:20
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/4259/pspirdaxu0.jpg

Released today by mat17, PspIrda is a homebrew app which uses the PSPs IrDa port to transfer between the PSP, PDAs and cell phones.

The compatibility list isn't that big for now (doesn't work with my SE K300i), but hopefully mat17 will update this genius app. This first release was more a proof concept.
The speed is quite slow, and the GUI isn't to die for either, but this has great potentiality in my point of view.

Here's what the author said:

PspIrda is a Irda Obex file transfer program ie you can transfer files between your psp, your cell phone, your palm, your pc and all the devices compatible with this protocol.

The irda stack used in this program is not from me. Its author ask to not promote work derivate from his work with his name so you will only find it in the copyright file of the program. Thank you for your great work Mr ... !

This version 0.0.1 is a proof of concept.
I know the GUI is ugly but it wasn't the objective of this release.
The objective was to release something functional to test it with your devices and to have feedback on the compatibility.

The main problem of this release is the transfer speed. It's slow, really slow; the speed is 9600pbs. It's not a limitation of the technology which can go up to 115200bps but of the pspsdk which doesn't include any function to configure the speed of irda port of the PSP. The developers at ps2dev.org are doing an amazing job with the pspsdk and I'm sure they will find us a way to change this.

Working configurations:
PSP -> Nokia 6131
Nokia 6131 -> PSP

Configurations to test:
PSP -> PSP
PSP -> PC (windows, linux, ...)
PC -> PSP
Cell phones -> PSP
PSP -> Cell phones
PSP -> Palm
Palm -> PSP
everything you imagine!!!

I need your feedback! Give me the results of your tests and don't forget to indicate the exact configuration of the test.

If the test doesn't work, I've included a debug version which outputs a debug.log in the pspirda directory which contains the data exchanged between the 2 devices. You just have to try a transfer with this version and send me your file and the corresponding debug.log. Use a small file for the test (less than 1ko) or the log will be huge.

This program is released under a BSD license.
Compiled for firmware 1.5. Require OSLib (OSLib is only required if you want to compile it from the sources.
Otherwise just use it as any normal homebrew).

Download via comments
Via qj (http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-pspirda-001-transfer-file-to-your-mobile-phone-pc-palm--80969.html)

splodger15
November 29th, 2006, 20:08
Nice work

Vega
November 29th, 2006, 20:22
I sincerely hope the more updates are made on this... PSP to Cellphone and Vice Versa would be awesome, seeing as I dont own a bluetooth usb thingy-ma-jig. Great work and keep it up... will be keeping a close eye on this one :)

EDIT - Im gonna run a test with my Sony Erricson Quickshare phone . . . results in a minute

Results - no joy . . though the cellphone did search for the psp longer than usual. keep up with updates!!! :D

alamosh
November 29th, 2006, 20:56
Well... This is an interesting idea. Let's hope it builds up to be something amazing.

I will try to test the PSP to PSP connectivity.

siulmagic
November 29th, 2006, 21:26
i w

blackrave
November 29th, 2006, 21:47
I'm about to test PSP <> PSP also. I will let you know how it went.
[...]
It successfully transferred an image file from one PSP to the other, so that works good, although quite slow.

fearian
November 29th, 2006, 23:10
I am about to test with my nokia phone, wish me luck!
by jove it works! speed was fine, what I would expect of an IR transfer (although that dosnt mean it was fast). hooray! now I dont have to purchase a bluetooth dongle! -dongle was the word you where looking for, Vega... odd word :P

IndianCheese
November 29th, 2006, 23:20
it would be awesome if the source code could be integrated with ir shell so we could have a remote learn function; it would simply download what the remote sends, convert it from data to hex, and save it straight to a preformatted rdf file.

Kloe
November 30th, 2006, 00:50
too bad my cellphone doesn't have IR capabilities, you think a pretty new cellphone with bluetooth would have IR but sadly it doesn't. :(

blackrave
November 30th, 2006, 00:53
it would be awesome if the source code could be integrated with ir shell so we could have a remote learn function; it would simply download what the remote sends, convert it from data to hex, and save it straight to a preformatted rdf file.

I agree, that would kick ass. I really hope they do, because that's the only thing I miss with the PSPs IrDA at the moment (and better compatibility and speed for this app, of course).

sony.1991
November 30th, 2006, 01:41
Glad this came out, been waiting for this app for a long time, that IR port on the PSP will finaly be used for something.

Great work keep it ^.

Agret
November 30th, 2006, 14:03
Nice mod of the original irda to allow transfer between portable devices, I wonder why the IR port is on the PSP though seeing as how Sony don't use it for anything....

mcvader
November 30th, 2006, 20:52
Nice mod of the original irda to allow transfer between portable devices, I wonder why the IR port is on the PSP though seeing as how Sony don't use it for anything....

I've often wondered that myself, seems a waste of space to me, they could have wedged in a little more memory instead me thinks.

This program will be great when completed, my sh!tty old Nokia phones got IR but had no success with it yet.

Keep it up :thumbup:

Vega
December 13th, 2006, 15:49
has there been any more updates of this app ? I havent been around recently . . . just wondering.

Also... this release works with my girlfriends SAGEM phone too :D