PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo not giving up on GBA...yet

wraggster
November 30th, 2006, 01:13
Without its line of Game Boy handhelds, Nintendo would likely not be in the position it is today. When the company went head-to-head with Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox with the GameCube, the result was disastrous for the one-time gaming leader.

Thankfully the company had the Game Boy Advance and more recently the Nintendo DS--both of which have helped keep Nintendo's wallet fat. While Nintendo tries to get back into the console race with the Wii, no one can dispute that the company dominates the handheld market.

Though the DS looks to shape the future of Nintendo's handhelds, the company believes its predecessor, though dated, still has some legs to stand on. Speaking at the Reuters Media Summit in New York, Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime said, "We think that Game Boy Advance certainly has at least one more holiday season left in it."

In fact, Fils-Aime says, the GBA is still essential to Nintendo's plan as a "gateway console."

"For us, it continues to be a great stepping stone for five-, six-, seven-year old consumers to have their first great handheld gaming experience and then transition right into DS," Fils-Aime told Reuters.

According to the executive, sales of both the DS and GBA are expected to meet company expectations this year.

Shadowblind
November 30th, 2006, 01:16
Good to hear the GBA isnt dead. It may be overtaken by DS, but the GB IS still the first goo handheld console since the gamegear :)

Junixx
November 30th, 2006, 01:29
Funny thing, I went through that transition from a GBA SP to a DS, it works rather well :p :thumbup:

Vegetable
November 30th, 2006, 07:01
WHY do you assume that Nintendo had the GBA on which to fall back after the "failure" of the Gamecube? Everyone always makes this mistake.

LISTEN PEOPLE, I'M GOING TO TELL YOU THIS AGAIN TO GET IT IN YOUR THICK HEADS.

MARKET SHARE != PROFIT

Nintendo made a greater profit off the Gamecube than Sony did with the Playstation 2 and Microsoft did with the Xbox.

Nintendo is doing the best financially of all three corporations.

Stop assuming that because Nintendo isn't as popular means that Nintendo is ****ing failing it as a profitable company, because if you could figure out the way business ****ing works you'd realise that this kind of thinking is retarded.

quzar
November 30th, 2006, 15:13
WHY do you assume that Nintendo had the GBA on which to fall back after the "failure" of the Gamecube? Everyone always makes this mistake.

MARKET SHARE != PROFIT

Nintendo made a greater profit off the Gamecube than Sony did with the Playstation 2 and Microsoft did with the Xbox.

Stop assuming that because Nintendo isn't as popular means that Nintendo is ****ing failing it as a profitable company, because if you could figure out the way business ****ing works you'd realise that this kind of thinking is retarded.

Although you could have put it in a more tactful way, I agree. You have to remember though, even though they are still making an extremely large amount of profit, compared to what they were used to making with the NES and SNES, what they are making now is tiny. With this you have to see the fact that the smaller their full amount of capital is, the less they will have availible for R&D and so on.

Aside from that, I don't see how this is news at all. From the start Nintendo stressed that the DS was not the successor nor a replacement of the GBA, but simply another system to go along side it.

Joel92
December 1st, 2006, 02:11

MARKET SHARE != PROFIT

holy cows, chill out. Just calm down, and we will all try to get through crisis together :p

anyways, i would have to say that even though the ds wasnt meant as a replacement, that is pretty much what it has turned out to be. i mean as the GB progressed, it kept having support to play older games. same consept with the nds, it has built in support for gba games, there for making the gba somewhat obsolete, except for having a smaller cost, because the nds does everything the gba does and 5 times more.

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:40
emuladores donde donde por fabor

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:42
holaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:45
:thumbup:

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:46
junito a

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:47
:rofl:emuladores

JKKDARK
December 1st, 2006, 20:50
emuladores donde donde por fabor

Please don't spam here. And only english.

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:51
:confused: por fabor

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 20:53
seguro:D

junito a
December 1st, 2006, 21:05
como te llaman

Junixx
December 1st, 2006, 21:46
Wtf.....and this must be your first day here because today is Dec 1st....

por favor, hablar ingles (umm.....foreign languages aren't my cup of tea :rolleyes: )