PDA

View Full Version : Nokia to take on the handhelds

wraggster
November 30th, 2006, 02:53
Nokia believes it can lure consumers away from Sony and Nintendo’s handheld platforms with its next-gen range of mobile phones.
Established publishers and developers have already signed up to produce content for the Finnish giant’s Nseries phones and S60 software, which are due for release early next year.

And now Nokia’s head of games for UK and Ireland Martin O’Driscoll has told ME sister magazine MCV that games consumers will be forced to make a choice between its mobiles, Sony’s PSP and Nintendo’s DS.

“There’s going to reach a point where we and other handheld platform owners are battling for the same partners and the same consumers,” said O’Driscoll.

“We’re moving into a new competitive space, where we have a real attractive offering for the games consumer. The research is showing us that people are playing games on phones more often and spending more time doing it. These are no longer just ‘casual’ games – they are real games played by real gamers.”

He added: “The consumer will have to make a decision: does he wants a standalone gaming device with a limited browsing capability or a phone with an MP3 player, a camera and a bloody good games platform? I think consumers will be prepared to spend £300 on a phone that offers all those different things rather than £100 to £150 for a standalone games machine.”

The news comes after Nokia released a new study revealing worldwide mobile gaming habits. The research found that the average length of a mobile gaming session is 28 minutes, and that over 80 per cent of mobile gamers play at least once a week.

The report also concluded that community-based play will prove vital in the future growth of mobile gaming.

bah
November 30th, 2006, 08:23
Yes, it can be the huge success of the Ngage (one of which i regrettably own, gathering dust somewhere) all over again!

Perhaps if the battery life is a LOT better, the phone is both decent looking and useable, it gets some good games which you dont have to turn off the phone part to prevent chugging and its available on plans cheaply it MAY have a shot at 4th behind the DS, PSP and GBA.

GobboFett
November 30th, 2006, 09:03
We consumers want a stand-alone gaming device seperate from our phones so the power of the console isn't wasted. That's why the N-Gage bombed so badly. To dip into all markets (or at least some) is a bad mistake along the lines of Sony. The last thing we want to see is another taco shaped phone/console :D

MikeDX
November 30th, 2006, 10:03
Nokia, you had your chance with the N-GAGE and it sucked. don't bother. Stick to making crap phones.

quzar
November 30th, 2006, 11:33
I love my 6600 and playing Super Monkey Ball on it. Ngage got a bad rap from having to change cards. If you copy the games to a single large size card, then it's really nice and easy to use.

dejkirkby
November 30th, 2006, 12:11
This idea reminds me of the N-Gage QD. As in quickly dropped.

goity
November 30th, 2006, 13:51
Is it just me, or is he advertising a PSP?

quzar
November 30th, 2006, 14:49
BTW I'd love to see the source of this info, as I can't find anything else about this.