PDA

View Full Version : PSP: PSB (Portable Sensor Bar for Wii)

blackrave
November 30th, 2006, 17:37
Darkwolf released today an app that can make the PSP a sensor bar for the Wii, from what I can understand. It has not been tested yet, so Darkwolf can't guarantee it works, so please, if anyone has a Wii, can you test it and post results? Thanks.

This is from PSBs readme file:

simply load psb from xmb, plce your psp on top of, or under your TV and point
the ir port located at the top of your psp facing your holding your wiimote.

THIS APP IS DESIGNED TO ENCOURAGE PSP-Wii FRIENDLYNESS :D

this has not been tested with a wii console and is currently only a proof of concept basic design.
may work better with 2 psp's scince there is only one IR led on each psp.

anyhow this may not work with only one psp and the more the merrier.

basic coding by me (DarkWolf)
Graphics by me

DEbug by OMAR_OMAR2

special thanks to creators of luaplayer

Download via comments

psiko_scweek
November 30th, 2006, 21:06
ill check this out when I get home, I have two Wiis. Right, now im at work!

DdevL
November 30th, 2006, 21:09
This sounds amazing i can't wait to see whats next!! maybe wireless psp controller support?

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 30th, 2006, 21:23
2 wee's LMAO !!!!

IndianCheese
November 30th, 2006, 21:38
How the **** does that sensor bar work??? How can the PSP communicate with the Wii as a sensor bar if its not even connected to the sensor bar port?

sedkiller
November 30th, 2006, 21:56
Hey man you can make a sensor bar for Wii by just using candles !! I dont remember very well how the concept work with the sensor bar but i dont want to tell anything so i dont mess it up lol. But sadly there is no more Wii on store so I can't test... As much as all other stores in the whole country lol

skater9269
November 30th, 2006, 21:58
the wii sensor bar doesnt sense anything it just sends out ir its simple the camera (kinda) in the wii remote does the sensing

robocelot
November 30th, 2006, 22:14
How the **** does that sensor bar work??? How can the PSP communicate with the Wii as a sensor bar if its not even connected to the sensor bar port?

From what I understand, the sensor bar is totally passive. The console only provides power to the bar. Any two light sources with some distance between them will work (as some people have discovered with candles). Doesn't have to be IR, but I think Nintendo chose IR so the light source would be lesss distracting.

The gyros/accelerometers in the Wiimote can only sense a relative change in position or velocity. The Sensor bar gives the controller a reference to calculate where the controller is in 3D space -- all of that calculation is done on the wii and not in the controller. There are times where the controllers are only sending relative data (such as when you are playing baseball and the Wiimotes IR port is pointing at the ceiling).

Accordion
November 30th, 2006, 22:19
it does need to be IR as that is what the wii remote senses.however... most conventional light sources emit IR radiation, and therefore will work to some extent.

SwordOfZork
November 30th, 2006, 22:22
I've never heard that the PSP has infrared capabilities. What is this function normally used for? Why does it have an IR LED if it can already use WiFi for wireless communication?

ninja9393
November 30th, 2006, 22:39
this would be cool if it works

devmas
November 30th, 2006, 22:42
Sounds interesting :) I wish I had a Wii, but I have no money... but yeah, the Wii's sensor bar has 2 sets of infrared LEDs, one set on each end of the bar, and the Wii controller has a little camera that can sense the IR light. Based on where the Wii sees the IR lights, and how far apart they are, the Wii controller can create location data, which is where the Wii controller is located in relation to the sensor bar. A PSP has at least one infrared LED in it, so, in theory, you can take PSPs and use them as Wii sensor bars.
Look over at wii-news.dcemu.co.uk and you can see some videos and pictures of people who made their own wireless sensor bars, and you can see videos of the Wii's IR lights and stuff...

CrAzY_fLiP3
December 1st, 2006, 02:18
lol.. what exactly is this? the PSP acting as a controller for Wii program?? (imagine playing a baseball game, using PSP as bat.. PSP flies out of your hands and smashes into wall LMFAO.)

Ari
December 1st, 2006, 02:37
Even if you used 2 PSPs (yeah, you need at least 2 LEDs for it to work, about 7 inches apart) the IR LED in the PSP just isn't very bright. It wouldn't work unless you were REALLY close...

No offense to whoever made this... but the PSP is just not a good substitute for a sensor bar. Actually, if you take 2 TV remotes and tape down some buttons on them, then set them about half a foot apart, it would work a lot better since they have brighter LEDs...

TacticalBread
December 1st, 2006, 03:45
I've never heard that the PSP has infrared capabilities. What is this function normally used for? Why does it have an IR LED if it can already use WiFi for wireless communication?

I knew the PSP had IR, (hence iRshell :p) but the question is why? Has anything Sony used it?

pspwog
December 1st, 2006, 04:48
yay it workz on 3.01

pspwog
December 1st, 2006, 04:50
not

LAMPRO
December 1st, 2006, 05:53
that IR on the psp is for us.. ahman let us grasp the whole IR world. Now i change the cable box, volume, stereo power and switch back to the game i was playin.

love that IR, but SONY has nothing for it.

theaceoffire
December 1st, 2006, 07:42

I use mine with my homebrew, so that I can control almost anything with an IR port (TV's, Fans, Modems, etc).

^_^ Happiness.

the_eternal_dark
December 1st, 2006, 07:46
Doesn't work all that well. The PSP has a weak IR transmitter compared to what the Wii uses. Good job though.

blackrave
December 1st, 2006, 15:50
Yes, as the coder himself/herself stated, this is only a proof of concept to show that the PSP can be used as a sensor bar.

I agree that the PSP has a weak IrDa port, and it most likely has to point in the Wii's direction all the time.

gamerremag
December 1st, 2006, 19:03
still, its a kool concept