PDA

View Full Version : Sony shifts from hardware to software?

wraggster
December 1st, 2006, 15:44
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=150276)

With the news of Sony taking yet another hit by way of the recent canning of GT HD, one analyst seems to think that this is the end of Sony as a hardware manufacturer.

"The appointment of Hirai could be the start of a shift from hardware to software," Nomura Securities' Yuta Sakurai told the FT. Putting all his eggs in one basket he went on to say, "I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4."

Brave words indeed but he says the shift of power at the top is that Kaz Hirai's new global portfolio puts a predominantly software-focused manager in charge of the company.

Don't underestimate the power of the PlayStation people...

Avenyet
December 1st, 2006, 16:09
whats the ps4 gonna be an OS that needs the highest min spec poss

Basil Zero
December 1st, 2006, 16:26
i gave an email to wraggster yesterday about it, wonder if he got it......

PeterM
December 1st, 2006, 16:58
Since Sony is fundamentally a hardware company, assuming a shift from hardware to software would be a bit bone-headed (there's analysts for you). Instead I presume that Sony are trying to improve life for developers, since from what I hear they're currently having a bit of a hard time on PS3 compared to Xbox 360.

jerrt
December 1st, 2006, 16:59
"Don't underestimate the power of the PlayStation people..."

most important line of the article.

splodger15
December 1st, 2006, 17:13
I couldnt imagine a PS4

F9zDark
December 1st, 2006, 17:55
I couldnt imagine a PS4

Why not? Really I take what these analysts say with a grain of salt. One analyst said of the Xbox360 that "a high software attach rate is bad" meaning that 10 games per Xbox360 owner is bad... :confused:

Really these people are ****ing retards and if they spent even half of their school time playing games, they'd realize just how dumb their conclusions are.

-Sony would NEVER drop out of hardware, its what they do best.
-An esteemed member from Sony (Harrison I believe) even mentioned that the PS4 may not use discs (obviously this is conjectural, but nonetheless, indicates that Sony will eventually make a PS4)

These analysts gotta stop flouting their unintelligence, because there are retards that listen and before you know it, stock prices decrease because people believe what these mindless fools write.

christophe
December 1st, 2006, 18:51
pah this means nothing....i can imagine a hardware giant such as sony switching to software alone.... they have got other divisions.

i read the cvg thingy.... it actually says that the gt hd engine will be utilised in gt5. and gt hd will be available as a concept demo december 24th. just people love kicking someone when there down. and everyone loves to do it to sony.

cant imagine no more sony products...and hard to imagine it happening anytime soon.

Emeriastone
December 1st, 2006, 18:56
Even if Sony switched I never seem to recall Sony making some really just killer software titles. It's all been kinda mediocre.

sappo
December 1st, 2006, 18:57
Sony sucks. That's for sure.

And PS3 will be a complete fail. For sure.

I think that it would be better for them to shift to Software. They're not too good on doing hardware.

PS3 costs too much. Bluray is a failure. Many characteristics are useless. Games are too expensive. The controller isn't revolutionary.

It's the same as a PS2, only with powered-up graphics, and a copied controller from Nintendo.

Wow, nice shot this time, Sony.

- Who talks is a proud owner of PSX, PS2 and PSP, but will NOT be a proud owner of PS3, at least not too soon -

Basil Zero
December 1st, 2006, 19:13
PS3 wont fail, it'll suffer, but wont fail, it'll be up in sales in 2 years time

i cant imagine the ps4's price to be the same as ps3, its probably gonna be like 100-200 dollars more

christophe
December 1st, 2006, 19:52
sony are bad at making hardware?? eh?? look at previous sales figures... ps 1 over 100odd million units sold.
ps2 over 100 million units sold... not bad considering they had no knowledge coming into the games market.

ps2 helped dvd in some ways....

F9zDark
December 1st, 2006, 20:17
PS3 costs too much. Bluray is a failure. Many characteristics are useless. Games are too expensive. The controller isn't revolutionary.

- Bluray is not a failure; in fact it hasn't even grown significantly to see which one will win out; but among the tech savy and space hungry (and PC users...) Bluray WILL win out.

When it comes to PCs, HD-DVD hasn't got a damn thing; and really I think its PC that will ultimately tip the scales.

-The controller is revolutionary with its SIXAXIS design. However, Sony got rid of the Boomerang because no one liked the idea behind it... People compare SIXAXIS to the Nunchuck and really, there is nothing to compare; both controllers operate COMPLETELY different from one another; yes 'motion sensing' what both do, but they do it completely different from one another and both are innovative in their own right.

Sharkey
December 1st, 2006, 20:33
It's crap. You missed SCEAs publicity chief Dave Karrakers response...

"Following the launch of the PlayStation 3 just a few weeks ago, and witnessing the huge consumer demand for the product, I think it would be rather short-sighted for anyone to predict there might not be a next generation of PlayStation product."

Enough said.

mavsman4457
December 1st, 2006, 20:39
This is ridiculous. And if they were to switch to just software, from what we've seen in their firmwares, they'd be screwed.

PSPFR3AK
December 1st, 2006, 21:09
i dont trust analysts

PSPFR3AK
December 1st, 2006, 21:11

I think that it would be better for them to shift to Software. They're not too good on doing hardware.

It's the same as a PS2, only with powered-up graphics, and a copied controller from Nintendo.

- Who talks is a proud owner of PSX, PS2 and PSP, but will NOT be a proud owner of PS3, at least not too soon -
where can i buy a crystal ball like yours?
oh and you just said ninty controller is not innovative aswell

Foxmc_loud
December 1st, 2006, 21:44
I couldnt imagine a PS4

yeah....:eek:

Makaveli777
December 1st, 2006, 21:53
Don't underestimate the power of the PlayStation people...

Yea people seem to do that alot now. Or people just WANT them to fail so bad. For what reason I dont know because they cant afford a ps3. I cant afford one and I still want it and am getting it later so chill out everybody and let everything happen before we say things, because this article is very premature.

Basil Zero
December 1st, 2006, 22:11
It's crap. You missed SCEAs publicity chief Dave Karrakers response...

"Following the launch of the PlayStation 3 just a few weeks ago, and witnessing the huge consumer demand for the product, I think it would be rather short-sighted for anyone to predict there might not be a next generation of PlayStation product."

Enough said.

wouldnt a huge consumer demand be a good thing?:thumbup:

Basil Zero
December 1st, 2006, 22:12
Originally Posted by sappo

how is bluray a failure, its only been around a few months

plus laptops are now available which can play them too

F9zDark
December 1st, 2006, 23:07
Anyone thinking Bluray will fail, I ask you read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_corporations_supporting_Blu-ray

Blu ray will not fail, not as long as those powerful companies stand by it...

eroberts
December 2nd, 2006, 08:16
Seeing that software is Sony's weakest suit, this report seems to but the anal in analysis.

LilSwish722
December 2nd, 2006, 16:19
this is retarded. why would sony drop out of the only thing they half managed to get right. if they do switch to software, guess where that leaves psp owners. thats right, MORE FW UPDATES.

the_eternal_dark
December 3rd, 2006, 00:06
sony are bad at making hardware?? eh?? look at previous sales figures... ps 1 over 100odd million units sold.
ps2 over 100 million units sold... not bad considering they had no knowledge coming into the games market.

ps2 helped dvd in some ways....

I also seem to remember that Sony had some problems with their lasers in both consoles.

The PS3 overheats really easily. I'd say that the Cell processor is too powerful for its cooling system, similar to the Xbox360. It's just shoddy layout designs and rushed production.

this is retarded. why would sony drop out of the only thing they half managed to get right. if they do switch to software, guess where that leaves psp owners. thats right, MORE FW UPDATES.

Actually, if Sony ever drops hardware, there won't be anymore reason for them to develop firmware updates anymore.

I'd love to see a PS4, but I doubt it would be cheap, and I could only imagine that it would be somewhere in the $1000USD+ range. I'd still be there to get it though.

PSPFR3AK
December 3rd, 2006, 02:11
stop complaining about the damn price , you dont buy a PS3 everyday

sappo
December 3rd, 2006, 13:14
-The controller is revolutionary with its SIXAXIS design. However, Sony got rid of the Boomerang because no one liked the idea behind it... People compare SIXAXIS to the Nunchuck and really, there is nothing to compare; both controllers operate COMPLETELY different from one another; yes 'motion sensing' what both do, but they do it completely different from one another and both are innovative in their own right.

What's revolutionary in something stolen from Nintendo?

And Bluray is going to fail because NOBODY needs that much space today. HD-DVD will just suffice, and lower costs will make it a winner.

Only the fact that Microsoft supports HD-DVD says that every PC will be equipped with HD-DVD equal no Bluray for most people equal people will just forget about that Betamax2.