PDA

View Full Version : CrocoDS v0.1a Alpha - Amstrad CPC Emulator for Nintendo DS Released

wraggster
December 2nd, 2006, 00:11
Via Deadketchup (http://deadketchup.kyuran.be/2006/12/01/crodods-alpha-v01a/)

CrodoDS Alpha v0.1a

CrocoDS is an emulator of CPC 6128 for Nintendo DS.
I bought myself a DS 2 months ago. As a developer (since almost 20 years), I am quickly buys a EZ4 lite to benefit from the homebrews.
My first computer having been a CPC, I was very disappointed not to see any emulator of this one.
After some research, I found that nrx then Alekmaul planned to create theirs it has a few months but much time did not have to devote to them.
Time, I do not have much more but I want terribly of an emulator CPC. The big problem, it is that I do not have any experience under development comforts.
I have thus to start to carry Caprice32 (best emulator CPC on PC).
After a few hours, I am to arrive has to make turn a version on my DS but with a framerate of 5fps, I am quickly disappointed: my small console is much slower than the pockets GCV to which I am accustomed. Wouldn't that be right a soft dream to emulate a CPC on a DS... However, there are Megadrive emulators which turns at full speed.
I thus will make a turn on the other sites proposing of the CPCs emulators. It is which I fall on Dream CPC. It is about the bearing of emulator WIN-CPC of Ludovic Delplanque on Dreamcast. If somebody succeeded in making turn an emulator CPC on Dreamcast, it must inevitably have average to make some turn one on DS.
I thus start again my project on the basis of the sources of WIN-CPC.
I arrive quickly at a version which turns to 30fps. I am on the good way.
After some small optimizations, the emulator turns to 90% the speed of the CPC. It is thus playable.

Download and Give Feedback & Compatibility Reports Via Comments

Borde
December 3rd, 2006, 12:47
Excelent job man. I think this is the last (important) microcomputer that could be emulated on the DS. Yeah, a man can dream, but I don't think it's posible to see Atari ST or Amiga emulated here.
Looking forward to see the sound implemented :-P.
By the way, an unscaled mode could be useful.