PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Downloads Now Available!

wraggster
December 5th, 2006, 01:58
Info from Chubigans (http://blogs.ign.com/chubigans/)

That's right, they're here! Here's a list of what's available right now to download from your PS3 to your PSP:

Crash Bandicoot (478mb, $5.99)
Tekken 2 (535mb, $5.99)
Hot Shots Golf 2 (157mb, $5.99)
Cool Boarders (283mb, $5.99)
Syphon Filter (385mb, $5.99)

How it works

Upon purchasing a game, you must connect your PSP to download the file (it does not save onto the PS3 hard drive). There are two files: the game (the huge file) and the license (100kb).

The download doesnt take all that long...its the install process that kills ya. It was nearly twenty minutes before the install process was done. Thankfully the license took about five seconds to download and install, so no problems there (the game does not run without a license, giving a "you must activate the system" error).

You know that Certificate Utility icon new in 3.00? This is where the license is kept, with "Crash Bandicoot- No Time Limit" displayed underneath (bringing up Information allows you to see when it expires and how many hours are left...both "never" in this case). Perhaps there will be a way to rent games later in the future? (By the way, you cannot back up these games on the PS3 as far as I can tell...you can, however, back them up on a PC and swap them out if you lack space on your memory stick).

When you boot up a PS1 game, it gives you all kinds of warnings...much like Nintendo does at the start of the DS Lite. Gah! Once you load the game you can press Home and a new screen pops up...from here, you can select the screen size, select four different types of control emulation methods (all of which are pretty interesting, with the analog stick functioning as L2 and R2) and you can even view box art and the original instructions included with the game, in it's full black and white glory (complete with the usual warning pages and notes pages...hah!)

Saving looks to be done internally via a virtual memory card...I havent been able to save yet, but the load doesnt bring up the standard overlay that the PSP usually uses. Unfortunately you cant save your state anywhere like an emulator can...too bad, because it would have been nearly perfect.

Another odd note, and Im not sure if its just with Crash, is that the game doesnt take up the whole screen even when using Full Screen...there are small black bars on the top and bottom. Could be just the game, not sure.

Here are the four configs for controls (universal for every game):

Face Buttons are all the same.

TYPE ONE: Analog stick left and right is L2 & R2, L and R emulate L1 and R1 obviously.
TYPE TWO: L and R on the PSP simulate L2 and R2, with the analog stick left and right emulating L1 and R1. Pressing the stick upwards is L1+R1.
TYPE THREE: L and R = L1 and R1; Analog Stick Up + L=L2, Analog Stick Up + R=R2, Analog Stick Down= L2 + R2
TYPE FOUR: Analog stick emulates digital pad, with the digital pad on the PSP emulating like the analog stick does in Type Two. Hope that makes sense.

So there you go. Ill have more info later in the week but thats the gist of it...and the games look great on the system. More impressions to come!

irishwhip
December 5th, 2006, 02:11
the golden question: anyone tried it with the new devhook?

shadowhawk22
December 5th, 2006, 02:12
Awesome news. I really don't feel like rebuying all these games though... Wish I could just dump and play them myself!

F9zDark
December 5th, 2006, 02:23
Awesome news. I really don't feel like rebuying all these games though... Wish I could just dump and play them myself!

Soon, my friend. We'll have some good PS1 Emus coming out soon and be able to play the games free of charge.

wolfrainxd
December 5th, 2006, 02:35
i wish i can play psone games now! too bad i can't afford a ps3

shadowhawk22
December 5th, 2006, 02:37
Yeah, what's up with forcing people to buy a PS3 to run PS1 on the PSP. It's downright retarded. I can't afford spending 600 to just rebuy games I already own.

F9zDark, I hope so, I have been watching and waiting for a while, PS1 emulator would really round off the PSP homebrew scene.

the_eternal_dark
December 5th, 2006, 02:47
Yeah, what's up with forcing people to buy a PS3 to run PS1 on the PSP. It's downright retarded. I can't afford spending 600 to just rebuy games I already own.

F9zDark, I hope so, I have been watching and waiting for a while, PS1 emulator would really round off the PSP homebrew scene.

I don't know what is more retarded, the fact that the PS3 is actually $600 or the fact you have to have on to play older PS1 games.

PS1P is pretty good for right now, and plays FFVII (just so you know). It may not be full speed yet, but it is well on its way to doing so.

Emeriastone
December 5th, 2006, 03:06
Nice. Just in time for Devhook version .51.

slayer2psp
December 5th, 2006, 06:52
to bad it doesnt work with the devhook 51 no new games work with it african safari still no go and sony psone emu games dont work either

Veskgar
December 5th, 2006, 07:28
You know I almost forgave SONY for making it required to own a PS3 in order to use PS1 downloads because I figured you could store the PS1 games on the PS3 and maybe even play PS1 downloads wirelessly using WiFi.

Now come to find out that it doesn't even save the PS1 game to the PS3 HDD is another slap in the face from SONY.

Now I'm even more for a homebrew solution to PS1 emulation than ever.

You can't help but think to yourself, "would a huge company like SONY really be so dumb?"

I want to believe SONY has a plan and good reasoning, but its beyond belief at this point.

dejkirkby
December 5th, 2006, 08:02
When I slated Sony for making consumers buy a PS3 for downloading PS1 games for the PSP, I was ridiculed by the Sony Propaganda Machine, aka irongiant.
Well I say this.
Stick this in your pipe, irongiant, and smoke it.
Evidence that you do NEED a PS3 to download PS1 games and it's not just a gift for their loyal PS3 customers.

Lakaiguy85
December 5th, 2006, 08:49
did he just ask is sony really that dumb? lol of course they are, one word BETA!

mr_nick666
December 5th, 2006, 13:08
the golden question: anyone tried it with the new devhook?

The golden question indeed... :rolleyes: Waiting for the golden answer now.....

The King
December 5th, 2006, 16:20
yo realy;but very few peaple will buy the ps3 just to play psx games on the psp

aldo it has very good grafics the price is to high and they d-blocked the motion sesors of nitendo that realy go me realy mad and for that im just not going to buy a ps3 for a long while like withing 3-4 years

go nintendi wii ( aldo it is a realy dum logo and wont catch that many peaple

Xranger60
December 5th, 2006, 16:36
Just a reminder for those that might not get their news from anywhere else: the downloads require a PS3 For NOW. In a short time Sony will be implementing the option to access and download the games directly from the PSP. This has been said plenty of times. Yes, this is extremely inconvenient, but it is temporary.

Makaveli777
December 7th, 2006, 09:09
The games are poorly compressed....

gadgetman18i3
December 8th, 2006, 07:17
The golden question indeed... :rolleyes: Waiting for the golden answer now.....

I just now tried it and unfortunately, it doesn't work. :( Remote play works, and the PS1 games download fine... they just never boot. The PSP acts like it's about to boot the game (Crash Bandicoot, in my case) it doesn't, and the PSP shuts off. Then I get an error message upon reboot saying that my settings are corrupted, and I have to re-enter my date/time settings and my network connection settings for 1.5. This happens every time I try to run Crash Bandicoot.

So nothing fatal, but still pretty unfortunate. I'm hoping this is just a 0.51 beta bug and that it'll be fixed when Booster releases the more stable version.