PDA

View Full Version : Sony Not Worried About Wii Head Start

wraggster
December 5th, 2006, 02:03
via ign (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/749/749080p1.html)

While the PlayStation 3 is now out in North America and Japan, most of the world is waiting until next March to get its hands on the most powerful/expensive console ever. By the time the PS3 launches in Australia, the Wii and Xbox 360 will have a four-month and 11-month head start, respectively. But Sony apparently isn't worried about the delay, confident that Blu-Ray will carry the system to victory in the next-generation console wars.

"The Wii-type functionality is more just a sub-element of what the PlayStation 3 offers," Nic Foster, general manager for Sony Australia & New Zealand, told the Sydney Morning Herald. "Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up, where the PS3 is a broader entertainment solution; so you can have your fun, enjoyable gaming…but then you have a whole suite of other applications...such as Blu-ray media playback, the ability to access your music, access your photos and the interoperability with the PlayStation Portable.

"Gamers are extremely aware of what they're after and what they want. So gamers will already have a very good understanding of what PlayStation 3 offers versus what Wii offers and many of them will probably have both devices."

Sony Europe isn't losing any sleep over the wait for the PS3, either. Part of the reason for the delay, and for the small shipment numbers seen in the U.S. and Japan, is a difficulty in manufacturing the Blu-Ray laser diodes. But Paul Holman, vice-president of technology at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, says it would have been "messy" to offer a Blu-Ray player later as an accessory, as Microsoft has done with its HD-DVD player for the 360.

The Hombrew Hunter
December 5th, 2006, 02:59
Now, how many developers and movie distributers will be able to fill 25-50 GB discs?

Probably none. So it's a waste.

Blu-Ray, guarenteed to phaile like Betamax.

missingnoo
December 5th, 2006, 04:42
I cant believe they said this:

"Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up,
where the PS3 is a broader entertainment solution"

zidanerick
December 5th, 2006, 04:55
Games Wizards in my town have told me that they have 1 preorder for the PS3 and that is it, now compare that to the 30 preorders for the wii on announcement day and sony think they can come out on top?? I dont think so, the only reason i will end up picking up a PS3 is due to Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and that will only be if i think the price is reasonable. Blu-Ray is a joke and will only be sony's downfall.

Miria
December 5th, 2006, 05:13
Blu-Ray will be sonys downfall because people dont want to remember so many CD Formats. People just know a CD and DVD.. Now thery have to remember three?? Come on.. LMAO..

juggaleaux
December 5th, 2006, 05:43
"The Wii-type functionality is more just a sub-element of what the PlayStation 3 offers,"

that should be the other way around.

compoman386
December 5th, 2006, 06:35
Yes, it would be far to messy to release the blu ray drive as an add on, after all look how it has messed up the 360. Oh, no....wait it hasn't.
Keeping the games DVD based and having the poo-ray drive as an optional add on would have meant that some one who only wants the PS3 for games and doesn't care about HD movies could actually have afforded to get one

Graxer0419
December 5th, 2006, 07:06
and the interoperability with the PlayStation Portable.

The Wii will be able to wirelessly connect with the DS in later games. And anyway the DS is currently more popular than the PSP!

ashjacques
December 5th, 2006, 15:40
Why would the Big N be worried by the vast Sony. Sony have just made the biggest mistake in gaming history...Never Mind Eh!
:rofl:

Is'lan
December 5th, 2006, 15:46
All of the multimedia tools they mention (music, picture-viewing, and connectivity with a handheld gaming device) is or will be (surely Music Channel is upcoming) available on the Wii, everything but the Blu-Ray. And, honestly, what's their point?

dejkirkby
December 5th, 2006, 16:12
Sony, can you hear it?
Can you feel it?
It's the winds of change.
A new champion is rising.
And we shall bow at the feet of......WII.

The Hombrew Hunter
December 6th, 2006, 03:06
And reading "Fun, enjoyable gaming" reminds me of the synonym "Same shitty quality games the PSP had. Shitty, not a single good game."

And as I've said before...What movie distributer or music artist will EVER fill 25-50 GB of space?! No one. Since it's much more expensive, NO ONE will buy them instead of DVD.

...Anyone else notice BETAMAX and Blu-Ray both start with B? (pwned)