PDA

View Full Version : Wii is a "sub-element" of PS3 says Sony

wraggster
December 5th, 2006, 15:59
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=150432)

Wii is a core gaming device while PS3 is a broader entertainment solution says Sony

14 CommentsSony's general manager for Australia and New Zealand has had enough of the negative PS3 press: "The Wii-type functionality is more just a sub-element of what the PlayStation 3 offers," he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up, where the PS3 is a broader entertainment solution; so you can have your fun, enjoyable gaming ... but then you have a whole suite of other applications ... such as Blu-ray media playback, the ability to access your music, access your photos and the interoperability with the PSP", he added.

Wii launches across Europe this Friday.

Vegetable
December 6th, 2006, 05:53
It's a more fun

Looks like someone is getting fired.

Makaveli777
December 6th, 2006, 07:43
yea that was pretty stupid to say.

alienanthropologist
December 6th, 2006, 08:16
stupid but true

juggaleaux
December 6th, 2006, 09:11
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

The Wii-type functionality is more just a sub-element of what the PlayStation 3 offers

that statement is completely backwards

irongiant
December 6th, 2006, 11:14
Depends how you class fun. For me games like Gears of War and Resistance are what i call fun and once the single player campaign is over there's still unlimited playability online, Wii sports for example is entertaining for a short while then the novelty wears off. Take away the controller and they're just very simple games with simple gameplay.. just like retro games, great for a short period of time then they get put away. The challenge for Nintendo and third party devs is to create Wii games with longevity, aside from Zelda the launch lineup is poor.

The Sony guy is right in that the Wii is purely a gaming machine so it offers a part of what funtionality the PS3 and 360 offer. Whether the Wii is more fun is open to personal opinion.

ElRazur
December 6th, 2006, 11:56
Looks like someone is getting fired.

I doubt that, aint nothing wrong with giving your opponents the "commendation" if it appears that they aint exactly in competition with them and Sony surpases then imo anyway.

rehbock
December 6th, 2006, 12:43
and Xbox 360 is just an Videoplayback addon.
Whatever Sony must be really frustraided to
say such things.:D

PSPFR3AK
December 6th, 2006, 14:00
im sorry but ninty "wii" is pathetic
;)

alienanthropologist
December 6th, 2006, 15:03
I sort of feel pity for sony because Ps3 is such a good machine. I think I might end up buying one in the end (maily for the blue ray functionality), but by the time it becomes widely available I fear Wii and Xbox360 will probably be well ahead.

Ok so Ps3 isn't as much fun as Wii... So what? Who cares about having tons of fun when you can watch HD at home for only 600US dollars? At least you can play blue ray which surely is the whole point of playing videogames.

Surely, next generation gaming is about playing all the same games that we all know but with improved graphics? Who wants more immersive, intuitive and fun games for such an accessible cost? :confused:

iniquitous_beast
December 6th, 2006, 15:53
Accessible cost? No, the ps3 is just the least unaccessible (unless you count hd-dvd).

Wait: I just realized...you were being ironic, weren't you?

irongiant
December 6th, 2006, 17:40
Ok so Ps3 isn't as much fun as Wii... So what? Who cares about having tons of fun when you can watch HD at home for only 600US dollars? At least you can play blue ray which surely is the whole point of playing videogames.

Surely, next generation gaming is about playing all the same games that we all know but with improved graphics? Who wants more immersive, intuitive and fun games for such an accessible cost? :confused:

How clever of you. Games like Guitar Hero already provide plenty of inuitive, immersive fun. Of course Nintendo have always given us gamers innovative and original games, they've never just released a simple upgrade or consoles with just better graphics and sound.

I loved my Gameboy then i enjoyed being offered a Gameboy with a backlight, then i looked forward to buying the Gameboy Advance. They were really different and offered new and fun ways to play. I knew Nintendo wouldn't just use them as excuses to squeeze more and more cash out of gamers with little effort. Of course the games were exciting and fun too, after buying Mario games on the NES and SNES years ago they offered them to me again on the Gameboy, great i thought i'll pay for the same games again.. and even today they're offering me those same games yet again for download to the Wii. Wicked thanks Nintendo.

Yes slate Sony as much as you like but take those rose tinted Nintendo glasses off while you do so. The only reason Nintendo came up with the DS and the Wii was because they had to, they knew damn well they couldn't compete with Sony and MS head on. It's all about them doing something different to survive in the business and it's paying off big time. They deserve a lot of respect for pulling it off but in the past they've been as bad as if not worse than Sony when it comes to rehashing and reselling the same product.

mavsman4457
December 6th, 2006, 18:36
I sort of feel pity for sony because Ps3 is such a good machine. I think I might end up buying one in the end (maily for the blue ray functionality), but by the time it becomes widely available I fear Wii and Xbox360 will probably be well ahead.

I guess you don't know what the SIXAXIS is. Look that up and tell me what it does and how it is different from the Wii Remote besides the shape of it.

ElRazur
December 6th, 2006, 18:43
I guess you don't know what the SIXAXIS is. Look that up and tell me what it does and how it is different from the Wii Remote besides the shape of it.

They do similar things but the Wiimote is more advanced according to some articvle i was reading. Iirc, it mentioned that ps3's sixaxis can perform movents like up down, sideways and tilting motion movement while the wiimote can perform all of those with complex movement. Hence why in some wii games one can do moves like "strangling" an AI opponent.

Dont quote me on it, the details are quite sketchy in my head but i wont be too far off.

alienanthropologist
December 6th, 2006, 20:58

I'm faintly aware of the Sixaxis. I've also looked it up.

1)The Wii console was born out of the idea to fundamentally change the relationship between the game and the gamer using a new, intuitive interface. Therefore you hold the wiimote and you can comfortably use it as a racket, sword or gun...
The sixaxis was born out of sony implementing a lesser technology to its existing controller as additional functionality. You will not see people playing tennis by swinging their playstation controller (which is a pity becausse I'd love to see that!)

2)Nintendo's Integrated research and development division has had several years to develop and optimise the accelerometer and aiming technologies that the Wii features.
Sony learned about the Wii and decided to add the Sixaxis to the Ps3 controller at a very late stage. It was developed hurriedly in only a few months leading to this year's E3, therefore the sixaxis only features a more primitive type of functionality than that of the Wiimote's.

3)The Wiimote's accelerometers only account for half of the controller's functionalities: the wiimote features a proprietary infrared pointing technology that can also be used to aim at the screen as a cursor or target.
The sixaxis DOES NOT feature this technology and therefore you will not see people using their playstation3 controls to aim at a target on the screen on a first-person shooter game(Although I'd love to see that too!)

4)Playstation3 was designed to be played the old way. As I said, the sixaxis was implemented at a very late stage and plays a very minor role in what the playstation3 is all about. Playstartion3 is about an all round entertainment station on which you can also play videogames THE OLD WAY with improved graphics. (Great! but comes at a hefty price for last-gen gameplay!)

The Wii, on the other hand, was conceived from the start Not to be played the old way. That is why they didn't just add accelerometers to the gamecube's control. That's why they developed not only the motion-sensing technology but also the infrared aiming techology and completely redesigned the control's shape. The Nintendo Wii is about playing new games in a new way that is simple, immersive, fun and intuitive.

Conclusion: apart from having a shape that was specifically designed to suit the new game dynamics, the wiimote also features a much more accurate accelerometer motion-sensing technology than that of the sixaxis, and also features a infrared aiming device which allows you to use the wiimote as a weapon or mouse, which the sixaxis Does Not Have. This is called re-inventing videogaming by looking at what games are all about: FUN

I'd love Nintendo to release Wii sports on Ps3... Imagine that!:rofl:

irongiant
December 7th, 2006, 10:57
The Wii console was born out of the idea to fundamentally change the relationship between the game and the gamer using a new, intuitive interface. Therefore you hold the wiimote and you can comfortably use it as a racket, sword or gun...

Actually the Wii remote was born out of Nintendo being annoyed that Sony had come up with the EyeToy and wanting to come up with something similar themselves, go back and read the quotes from Nintendo execs when the EyeToy came out.

Nintendo's Integrated research and development division has had several years to develop and optimise the accelerometer and aiming technologies that the Wii features.
Sony learned about the Wii and decided to add the Sixaxis to the Ps3 controller at a very late stage. It was developed hurriedly in only a few months leading to this year's E3, therefore the sixaxis only features a more primitive type of functionality than that of the Wiimote's.!

So you know that for a fact then, you must know someone who works at Sony R&D. Yes the pad was added late on but MS and Sony have been playing with motion sensing tech for sometime. Remember the sidewinder pad?

apart from having a shape that was specifically designed to suit the new game dynamics, the wiimote also features a much more accurate accelerometer motion-sensing technology than that of the sixaxis, and also features a infrared aiming device which allows you to use the wiimote as a weapon or mouse, which the sixaxis Does Not Have. This is called re-inventing videogaming by looking at what games are all about: FUN

It's called trying to do something different to survive in a very competitive industry. They took ideas from others and combined them. Nothing has been reinvented, playing tennis with the Wii is just tennis where you move your body instead of just moving a stick. Fun? have you actually played most of the Wii games. Aside from Zelda most are gimmicky and flawed.

I think the Wii is great and hope it continues to do well but stop with all this reinventing gaming/Nintendo are the holy grail of gamers crap.

irongiant
December 7th, 2006, 17:35
Nintendo's Integrated research and development division has had several years to develop and optimise the accelerometer and aiming technologies that the Wii features.
Sony learned about the Wii and decided to add the Sixaxis to the Ps3 controller at a very late stage. It was developed hurriedly in only a few months leading to this year's E3, therefore the sixaxis only features a more primitive type of functionality than that of the Wiimote's.

In fact back in May 2005 Sony filed a patent for the pointer/receiver technology themselves. Source: joystiq

"God bless the U.S. Patent and Trademark office. While the archaic system of idea protection might indeed stifle creativity and lead to what some call "legalized extortion," its publicly accessible patent filings give us some of the best early glimpses into the internal plans of some highly secretive companies.

The latest bit of insider information comes from a Sony patent filed for "an input device providing users with a pointing capability [which] includes a sender portion and a receiver portion." According to the patent, filed way back in May 2005, a user-operated unit sends a beam of light to one or more receiver units, which interpret the input as a "target point" on the screen.

You'd be forgiven for thinking this sounds a lot like the remote and sensor bar combo used in a competing video game system, but there's nothing in the patent limiting the device to just the PS3. In fact, the patent explicitly states the pointer should be easily integrated with "televisions, DVD players and recorders, digital or personal video recorders, cable and satellite set-top boxes, and video game consoles." A universal remote/pointer? An intriguing idea, but one that sounds hard to implement.

Which isn't to say Sony is necessarily planning on implementing it at all. Just because a patent has been filed doesn't mean a product is pending -- indeed, there hasn't been a public peep on the subject from Sony since the patent was filed months ago. Still, don't be surprised if and when you hear about Sony's revolutionary new control device."

alienanthropologist
December 7th, 2006, 17:55
In fact back in May 2005 Sony filed a patent for the pointer/receiver technology themselves. Source: joystiq

The latest bit of insider information comes from a Sony patent filed for "an input device providing users with a pointing capability [which] includes a sender portion and a receiver portion." According to the patent, filed way back in May 2005, a user-operated unit sends a beam of light to one or more receiver units, which interpret the input as a "target point" on the screen.

Well that sounds trully revolutionary. Pity that Sony did't use it on their Playstatioin3.

Oh, wait! Isn't that pointer thing like one of the technolgies of the Wiimote?:eek:

Holy moly, so it turns out that after decades of Nintendo leading the way with innovations and Sony following, now it's Nintendo that's copying Sony!

Naughty Nintendo!:mad:

However, as much as they might have developed some pointing technology, Sony did not implement it as part of their PS3 functionality. Nintendo did. Tough luck. Get over it and enjoy your wii (or keep pressing x and square if you manage to get your hands on a PS3 sometime down the line!:rofl:

Still, don't be surprised if and when you hear about Sony's revolutionary new control device."

Well, I am not surprised to hear about Sony's new device because there isn't one. (Unless you means the sixaxis, and I've dealt with that)