PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons arcade

mikebeaver
December 5th, 2006, 17:17
Just wondering if anyone had tried to find a way to emulate this? The simpsons arcade game by Konami)
I know that NJ done a lot of work on the CPS1/CPS2 and MVS stuff, but would there be anyway possible to run this?
Just curious really, thanks

splodger15
December 5th, 2006, 17:43
You need a source

MikeDX
December 5th, 2006, 18:42
The simpsons arcade game is well documented nowadays and I think it really doesnt use a lot of power cpu wise so a psp specific port is possible. I dont think it has run in any MAME port so far, but I'm sure it would need something more specific to run at full speed on the PSP

mr_nick666
December 6th, 2006, 10:11
It shouldnt be too memory hungry.... Theres not alot to it :rolleyes: I used to love this game - even completed it (loved the four player unit in our local arcade) :p

Darksaviour69
December 6th, 2006, 10:29
is this it?
http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,12,42

bah
December 6th, 2006, 11:38
Darksaviour69: From the look of that lil screenshot in that link I'd say that's it.

I remember loving this game back when arcades still existed.

mikebeaver
December 7th, 2006, 10:34
yeah it look's like the coder started to get it to run on the dreamcast through neo geo cd ! ! so does that mean that it would be possible to run on NJ's neo cdz with some tweaking?
I will try out the DC release as soon as i can work out what im doing, i looked at the homebrew scene for that when the utopia was first out then kinda drifted away, feet of fury was great at the time :)

Darksaviour69
December 7th, 2006, 11:18
no, it has nothing to do with neo geo cd, thats a different project he was working on. It a version of mame that only supports the board (or the drivers for the board) for thoses games. Its a way of speeding up emus by droping support to drivers that are not needs. The same coder did a load of SAG (single arcade game) releases.

that port is not full speed, but the coder was not very good, he has a very bad name in the dc scene for stealing code, not crediting or release sources to GPL releases etc.

MikeDX
December 7th, 2006, 12:04
I doubt it made any speed difference, they only reason to drop drives and do single game releases is for memory reasons

I've tried to make PSPMAME run only simpsons arcade, but it fails at some vram init :( and thats with only the simpsons driver!

Somebody with more time could get it to work, theres definitely enough weight in the Neo/cps NJ emus to do other 68k based games like TMNT but sadly simpsons arcade is a custom konami cpu.

Darksaviour69
December 7th, 2006, 12:13
does more free ram not = more speed?

its a pity that that was one of the releases that he did not release the source too (even though he should have)

mikebeaver
December 7th, 2006, 12:33
sadly simpsons arcade is a custom konami cpu.

Yeah its a shame, because activision/ flying edge had the rights to console versions of simpsons games when it was released and now vivendi( i think) have console rights so we cant even have an official retro release from Konami.

I presume it would require an advanced knowledge of the MAME world to port this to the PSP?
Well maybe one day, thanks for your input guys, maybe someone will pick it up.

MikeDX
December 7th, 2006, 14:15
does more free ram not = more speed?

No not really, it isnt like you could use VM on a dreamcast either as it had no HD.

quzar
December 7th, 2006, 15:46
no, it has nothing to do with neo geo cd, thats a different project he was working on. It a version of mame that only supports the board (or the drivers for the board) for thoses games. Its a way of speeding up emus by droping support to drivers that are not needs. The same coder did a load of SAG (single arcade game) releases.

that port is not full speed, but the coder was not very good, he has a very bad name in the dc scene for stealing code, not crediting or release sources to GPL releases etc.

Actually this was made by warmtoe, not reaper. Reaper did something like wrote a menu for it i think.

No not really, it isnt like you could use VM on a dreamcast either as it had no HD.

Actually, yes, yes really. The guy who made this used spare memory in the DC's vram to hold some rom data. This memory is considerably slower for access by the cpu for reading, and so the concept is the same as Virtual Memory. This technique also caused slowdown in the Dreamcast version. So yes, the fact that the PSP has enough ram to hold it all does mean it would/could run faster.

Darksaviour69
December 7th, 2006, 15:51
Actually this was made by warmtoe, not reaper. Reaper did something like wrote a menu for it i think.

when before i looked it up i thought it was warmtoe that did it, but its on reapers site, with no credit to him.. i'll update the credits

quzar
December 7th, 2006, 16:01
but its on reapers site, with no credit to him

has it been so long that you've forgotten reaper? =P Anyways, yea, well what he did was give general credits to "mame port for DC" and warmtoe made to modifications for this SGA from his port of mame to the DC (based on the digita port).

Shiesty
December 8th, 2006, 10:13
there is obviously alot of people who would like to see this happen, someone with coding experience should give it a go :)

mikebeaver
December 9th, 2006, 01:25
if only i could code,am trying my luck with LUA at the moment,not going well,if i get better ill n make "LUA simpsons" but id still love to play this on PSP one day :(

Baboon
December 9th, 2006, 16:06
Simpsons arcade was an amazing game. Much like TMNT it was a great multi player blast, capturing the cartoon style to a tee. :)

We've got Marvel Vs Capom, SVC Chaos, Metal Slug etc playing arcade perfect now (which a year ago nobody would have thought possible), so I guess we might well eventualy see more acrcade games being emulated well on the psp. ...at least I hope so. :)

mikebeaver
December 10th, 2006, 18:43
Yeah TMNT was good, I found it at a roller rink when I was out Friday night, must have spent a tenner on it at least, lol.
NJ's work on his emulators has come on in leaps and bounds lately, what with releases comming on an almost daily basis.Maybe he'll move onto other parts of MAME in the future, who knows, I hope so.