PDA

View Full Version : Rumors on UK shortages

wraggster
December 5th, 2006, 22:30
via wiifanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2006/12/05/rumors-on-uk-shortages/)

There have been rumblings about possible Wii shortages for the European launch for some time, but now they're growing louder, thanks to a few chatty GAME employees. GAME is a large video game (ya rly) retailer in the UK. Employees are whispering that, while a hardware shortage is expected, the UK may also see a shortage in games and accessories for the new Nintendo console as well -- Zelda is mentioned at the heart of the game shortages. Oh no!

Word is that the stores are putting the banhammer down on software-only purchases at launch. Apparently GAME stores are only selling software and accessories to those who are purchasing a console. That seems like a very strange way to do business to us, but hey, launches make people crazy. It's also rumored that GAME stores are canceling game preorders, so good luck getting the titles you want.

Our contacts across the pond are few -- can anyone confirm any of these rumors, or are they just so much noise?

strumstrum
December 6th, 2006, 07:05
I heard that Game had secured 60% of UK stock so if there are shortages I would have thought Game still have the most of the stocks, my pre order has been fulfilled and it is a relatively small store, my pre order is 79.

a friend of mine however who is store manager of a Gamestation was bragging how all the pre orders will be fulfilled is now saying they are having to knock people back that pre ordered 4 weeks ago.

I would say yes shortages will be expected but I would have thought Game would be the last to experience shortages.

hp1
December 6th, 2006, 08:21
I preordered from GAME Bristol and got a phoen call yesterday, to inform me there would be no midnight launch (boo!) but they would be opening at 0700 on the 8th.

They wanted to know what games and accessories I wanted so they could set them aside (nice touch). I asked how many they were allocated, about 100 apparently, all presold and therfore no midnight launch. There was no mention of possible shortages. I think its whats known here in the UK as Bollox.

compoman386
December 6th, 2006, 08:37
Wraggster cehck your PM's man, I sent u info about this yesterday. the GAME dude called me at work and said that my pre order was now 100% confirmed and told me of the early opening at 7:00am which will be only for those with pre order.

homebrew1973
December 6th, 2006, 10:52
Having said all that though I wonder how soon it`ll be before we see pre-owned Wii games? My local Gamestation had them for the Xbox360 just 3 days after release.....

compoman386
December 6th, 2006, 11:29
Having said all that though I wonder how soon it`ll be before we see pre-owned Wii games? My local Gamestation had them for the Xbox360 just 3 days after release.....

yeah but that is usually because people tend to buy console bundled with games, of which u know at least one is going to be rubbish. When I bought a PSP itcame with GTA LCS and World Rally Champ. guess which one wound up in my local GAME's pre-owned bin later the same day.............

strumstrum
December 6th, 2006, 12:40
ahhhh, friend has been to his local Game, his console is okay for launch but no Zelda or Wii Play will be available..

Hawq
December 6th, 2006, 15:38
Possible shortages of a new system at launch? shocking, especially for our part of the world eh?

Mabolsa Ritchie
December 6th, 2006, 17:03
I got an email as from GAME saying im sorted basically as i was one of the early pre-orders. Unforunatly its being delivered so it could come anytime of the day :( i didnt have time to go in store to preorder so i had to do it online. Ah well hope i still get my console.

acardy
December 6th, 2006, 17:38
The dude from Game just phoned me confirming! yay! :D Although I am a bit miffed that theres gonna be no Midnight launch.

Ah well.. Gonna be up bright and early!

What time are you lot gonna be queuing from for your Wii? I've got a busy day (traveling home for the weekend) so I'm gonna get there half an hour before hand so I can get me Wii, get out, play it for two hours and catch me train! Phew! lol

Andy

lexluthor
December 6th, 2006, 17:57
I just got a call.. and there was much rejoicing.

strumstrum
December 6th, 2006, 17:58
when I enquired about midnight launch from what was said I was under the impression that they only midnight launch when there is something to sell, and that does not include pre orders..

thats how I understood it.

ill be there around 7am, missus will be in charge of the school runs friday and I have no work to do so ill have all day to play..

muffinman
December 6th, 2006, 18:37
mines opens at 6 in the morning :(

anyways according to my guy in game they are getting more copys of zelda than they are consoles (yay)

Accordion
December 6th, 2006, 19:23
well, mines on its way...delivery takes all the hastle out of launch, and it means i dont have to worry.

Mabolsa Ritchie
December 6th, 2006, 23:00
Got a new email from GAME, been dispatched so could come either tomorrow or friday.

belfast-biker
December 6th, 2006, 23:02
Got a phone call from Game Belfast at 8pm, but not about to receive the call, damn!!!!

Will phone em tomorrow....

hp1
December 7th, 2006, 09:10
I'm planning on being at the door for 0645, I know I'm guaranteed a Wii but I dont want to be 99th out of 100. I'm counting on a good few bods not being arshed to turn up a at 7. Have the day booked off work to spend quality time with my Wii.

Zaneblade
December 7th, 2006, 14:53
currys... i was 5th on the pre order list... but not getting it... they dont have the stock...

'however we are working closely with Nintendo to ensure we will fulfil your pre-order by 16th December 2006'

ggrr

belfast-biker
December 7th, 2006, 21:01
Got a phone call from Game Belfast at 8pm, but not about to receive the call, damn!!!!

Will phone em tomorrow....

Since I'm not about tomorrow due to a flight to Enger-land, my wee mum will stand in the cold in the queue from 6:45am for me with a list to get my Wii that they've confirmed the're holding for me, just to get the best pick of the games and controllers...

How cool is she? :thumbup:

Mum.... respect.