PDA

View Full Version : Metareview: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

wraggster
December 5th, 2006, 23:59
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/12/05/metareview-metal-gear-solid-portable-ops/)

Are you happy to see me? Or is that just a Snake in your pants? Solid Snake goes portable in a big way. Get ready for the biggest non-shock of the year: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is good. Very good. In fact, it's THE killer app that Sony fans have been waiting for:

1UP (95/100) - "All this translates into a game that essentially pushes the PSP in all of its features: graphics, portability, Internet, extra hardware doohickeys, and multiplayer. Sure, it might have hiccups (occasional ghosting, quirky A.I., the one analog nub), but Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is not only a fine MGS title -- it's also a damn good showcase for the PSP."
IGN (90/100) - "It's been a long time coming, but this is what Metal Gear Solid fans, and indeed PSP fans have been waiting for: a title that demonstrates what the technology of the PSP can actually do, with a solid action title to boot. The GPS and WiFi scanning feature is excellently implemented, the online and single player modes are deep, and there are plenty of things to do by tracking down and recruiting new soldiers from various places. This is one of the games to add to your collection if you have the PSP."
Yahoo (80/100) - "This is one of the PSP's best multiplayer titles, giving you essentially a two-for-one experience. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops isn't a must-have for everyone, but most gamers recruited into its ranks will be satisfied."

The game has shipped to retailers, so expect them in stores today or tomorrow. Rush in to your game store, and tell us what you think about the game!

Deshevy
December 6th, 2006, 00:20
This Game is Gonna Be Sweet:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(.T.)

Emeriastone
December 6th, 2006, 00:28
Anyone got this yet? I wanted to go out and get it but it's finals week and I hardly need anymore distractions.

Also, if you have it, tells us if you're using devhook .51 and how well it runs

John Vattic
December 6th, 2006, 01:05
I preordered this and i'm getting it after work since I work at the mall here.
I already got my portable ops psp case.

I'll let you all know how it works with devhook, what firmware, and i'll post some pics. But someone probably will before i get off work at 5 p.m. here in the states.

This is the only psp game I've been waiting for like a little child.

Tantalus
December 6th, 2006, 01:22
WHy did yahoo give it 80/100? because yahoo people kept drilling on the fact that it's on a portable system and that it's mission aren't as submersive because theyre a bit shorter and meant to be played on the run.
Uh, is it just me or is that a good thing as opposed to a bad? Someone read the Yahoo review on the site and tell me how biased it is.

digihoe
December 6th, 2006, 01:35
Will there be a bundle with the GPS? If not bundled with the GPS can all regions buy this addon? Where is it released? US/EU/JP? All over the world?

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2006, 02:08
I've been waiting for this one,I can add it to my collection of 1 psp game....
Finally something decent.
Anybody know what firmware this is gonna require?
And yes that is a snake in my pants.

sinjinn
December 6th, 2006, 12:48
WHy did yahoo give it 80/100? because yahoo people kept drilling on the fact that it's on a portable system and that it's mission aren't as submersive because theyre a bit shorter and meant to be played on the run.
Uh, is it just me or is that a good thing as opposed to a bad? Someone read the Yahoo review on the site and tell me how biased it is.

they give marks out of 5 and MGSPO got 4 out of 5 , which means its actually an excellent game. but metacritic reads that as an 80 , which , if out of a hundred means thats its an OK game as opposed to a great one.

dejkirkby
December 6th, 2006, 13:27
According to gamefaqs.com, this isn't scheduled for release in Europe till mid-July 07. Anyone know what FW the UMD needs?

Veskgar
December 6th, 2006, 13:42
According to gamefaqs.com, this isn't scheduled for release in Europe till mid-July 07. Anyone know what FW the UMD needs?
The North American release requires 2.81 firmware to play. Unfortunately unlike a lot of other 2.81 games, this game won't play on DevHook 0.46 via 2.71 firmware emulation.

I hear it works with hybrid firmware and it most definitely works with DevHook 0.51 via 3.01/3.02 firmware emulation.

dejkirkby
December 6th, 2006, 13:53
Roll on July!! *sneaking off to buy it from overseas online*
Life is Good.

PSPFR3AK
December 6th, 2006, 13:56
i need this game

Apoklepz
December 6th, 2006, 14:11
Been waiting for this day...I actually went to the store yesterday to see if I could snag my copy early, didn't work though XP. Gonna get my preordered copy around lunch time today, and I'll report back here...BTW, John Vattic....how in the blue hell did you get your PSP case before the actual release? My only guess is you must be really good friends with the store people...I'm stuck with a dickhead old guy in a black Cardiggan sweater for a store person...he stinks too...I sometimes wish I could slap him in the face, just for kicks...Hope he retires soon...at least that'll open the position to much more friendlier people...God, that guys a dick.

Avenyet
December 6th, 2006, 15:29
i can' t wait for this i;m almost as excitied about it as CC:ff7

now that game looks sweet

(check out my blog for CC:ff7 screenshots

http://avenyet.blogspot.com/2006/12/sorry-sqaure.html)

hanky
December 6th, 2006, 17:29
I preordered this and i'm getting it after work since I work at the mall here.
I already got my portable ops psp case.

Yes, I got Mine 2 days ago too, because I called and they got the cases on monday, before the game.

BTW, John Vattic....how in the blue hell did you get your PSP case before the actual release? My only guess is you must be really good friends with the store people...

Im sure same thing happened to him. The GameStop store where I pre-ordered is one of the main ones here In South Beach, so maybe only the most important locations got Cases before the game.

I'll let you all know how it works with devhook, what firmware, and i'll post some pics. But someone probably will before i get off work at 5 p.m. here in the states.

Same here.. My girl is on her way to my apartment WITH THE GAME!! Its better than coming naked and with beer!! lol (Not really but close :P)

This is the only psp game I've been waiting for like a little child.
Me too!!

Veskgar
December 6th, 2006, 18:18
This game works great using DevHook 0.51 and the 3.01 DevHook Firmware Installer [EBOOT].

I used that simple installer and both 3.01 firmware and this game run beautifully on my 1.50 PSP.

This is easily the BEST PSP game to date. And also the best looking. I could not believe I was playing a handheld game while playing this game. This is amazing!

Why the hell does the PSP have to be so bad ass. I have a brand new shiny black DS Lite that I hardly get to play now cause of all the cool stuff for the PSP taking up my time. Damn you PSP, I need my life back! LOL

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2006, 18:22
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!,I must have this game.I'm gonna go look around for something to sell,lol.Anybody want a softmodded xbox with broken dvd drive?

danw2k4
December 6th, 2006, 20:05
problem is the iso is too big for my memory stick.

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2006, 20:20
Woah danw2k4,that kinda talk is taboo 'round here.

John Vattic
December 6th, 2006, 23:23
OK. i just got home from work. This game is ultradope. The graphics are amazing for psp.
It plays on 3.01 devhook .51 flawlessly. And it only requires 2.81 to play.

I've attached an image of the game and bonus case.

Now back to playing!:thumbup:

Napalm-Death
December 6th, 2006, 23:32
How much is this game?!

F9zDark
December 7th, 2006, 00:35
Well I had a 15 dollar gift card and had to pay 27 bucks more for it, so I'd say 45 USD after taxes.

This is also CONFIRMED as loading with Devhook .50 running 2.82 (the game requires 2.81 firmware).

ShunichiRokujo
December 8th, 2006, 05:29
Hey guys, I'm new to the homebrew stuff, and I recently got a 1.5 PSP with Metal Gear Acid ( it uses devhook inside )in my memory stick, now I've finished that, I would like to play Portable Ops, can anyone tell me what should I do to make it work ? :)

I already downloaded Devhook 0.51+Firmware 3.01 and....I don't know what to do after that can anyone tell me what I should do ? :confused:

dejkirkby
December 8th, 2006, 07:27
The gamefaqs.com release date has changed to Q1 2007. Happy Times for EU. Although mine copy is winging it's way as we speak.

Hey guys, I'm new to the homebrew stuff, and I recently got a 1.5 PSP with Metal Gear Acid ( it uses devhook inside )in my memory stick, now I've finished that, I would like to play Portable Ops, can anyone tell me what should I do to make it work ? :)

I already downloaded Devhook 0.51+Firmware 3.01 and....I don't know what to do after that can anyone tell me what I should do ? :confused:
You only need to buy the game and use DevHook to emulate the firmware.

Veskgar
December 8th, 2006, 08:11

Welcome to the homebrew scene & DCEMU. The easiest and fastest way to go is to use this installer.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/3-01-devhook-firmware-installer-eboot--45078.html

Its what I used to install 3.01 and get Metal Gear: PO working.

ShunichiRokujo
December 8th, 2006, 08:14
The gamefaqs.com release date has changed to Q1 2007. Happy Times for EU. Although mine copy is winging it's way as we speak.

You only need to buy the game and use DevHook to emulate the firmware.

Can I download the ISO and put it into the Memory stick instead? and I've got another devhook inside my PSP , so do I need to take it out first and then put in the new devhook ?

So in other words, what I'm going to do to make MGS work is to trick the PSP that I'm using a 3.01 ?

Ahhh Thank you Veskgar ! I'll look into that link ...and...will it cause any damage to my PSP ? I'm hearing the term "brick" does that mean the PSP will become useless once it bricks?

Lodis
December 8th, 2006, 15:18
Can I download the ISO and put it into the Memory stick instead?

I think Sony are only offering the pay per download service for Playstation One games via the PS3, not standard Psp games.

ShunichiRokujo
December 8th, 2006, 18:06
Hmm...then how do you guys play the games ?
cuz Metal Gear Acid is in my memory stick and it is working !:confused:

Veskgar
December 8th, 2006, 20:55
Ahhh Thank you Veskgar ! I'll look into that link ...and...will it cause any damage to my PSP ? I'm hearing the term "brick" does that mean the PSP will become useless once it bricks?
Yeah, a brick is VERY BAD! You don't want a brick.

However, that installer I pointed you to and DevHook 0.51 WILL NOT brick your PSP. So no worries on that.

F9zDark
December 8th, 2006, 21:35
Hmm...then how do you guys play the games ?
cuz Metal Gear Acid is in my memory stick and it is working !:confused:

I don't quite understand what the problem is... I am assuming you own both Metal Gear Ac!d and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. For me, getting MGS:PO to work was rather painless; I got the Devhook 0.51 Ultimate Installer with 2.81 Eboot, PSARDumped it and copied the output to 2.81 Firmware folder in the DH directory.

Then I ran Devhook and went to Flash and copied the Config file to Flash1 (Of course there is a chance for bricking, so I'd suggest picking up the new Non-Flash version of Devhook 0.51). Popped in the MGS:PO UMD, ran devhook after a full system shutdown, and booted into 2.81 and started playing away.

ShunichiRokujo
December 9th, 2006, 03:22
Hmmm..I see, I'll try not to brick it !

Okay well, it seems that you guys need a UMD to play MGS:PO, but...I don't need the MGAcid UMD to play, I only have one UMD game right now, which is ridge racer, which is always in the PSP

So now, my question is, why do we need the MGS:PO UMD when I can play my MGAcid,Tokobot without a UMD ?

Both MGacid and Tokobot is in my memory stick, I did not buy those UMD

Looks like I have alot to learn about this

F9zDark
December 9th, 2006, 06:01
Hmmm..I see, I'll try not to brick it !

Okay well, it seems that you guys need a UMD to play MGS:PO, but...I don't need the MGAcid UMD to play, I only have one UMD game right now, which is ridge racer, which is always in the PSP

So now, my question is, why do we need the MGS:PO UMD when I can play my MGAcid,Tokobot without a UMD ?

Both MGacid and Tokobot is in my memory stick, I did not buy those UMD

Looks like I have alot to learn about this

I am afraid we can't really help you, piracy is not acceptable here. This site is only interested in the UMD playing aspects of Devhook and if you owned the UMDs and made legal backups, I'd understand and be willing to help you, but since you admitted to downloading MGS:PO illegally to play it I won't help you.

This is a good game, support the company for making it by purchasing it.

ShunichiRokujo
December 9th, 2006, 07:07
Ahhhhhhh...I see now, okay, I'll buy it soon then, so the reason of using Devhook is not to let it upgrade to 3.01 ? so...why not let it upgrade ?

I did not download MGS:PO though !

F9zDark
December 9th, 2006, 07:16
Using Devhook allows us to play the newest games and use the newest features that Sony makes for the PSP in new firmwares without actually having to upgrade our PSPs. I like playing new games, but certainly not enough to make me upgrade. Devhook fixes that.

jo2hackingmachine
December 16th, 2006, 16:35
how do i play this game w/devhook by using my 2.71 psp?

Apoklepz
December 18th, 2006, 17:25
I've already posted this on another thread...but here goes, in case some people missed it.

I didn't buy this strategy guide, but I have a couple of Secret Characters in my possesion right now. Here are the Password Codes:

HUNTER-N is NULL
LQ.N2 is PYTHON
JUNKER is CHUNNINGHAM
ERBE is GENE
PK +ESP is URSULA (can't be got with ELISA at the same time)
THE-L is ELISA (can't be got with URSULA at the same time)
E.APPLE is EVA
PM-EMS is PARAMEDIC
DARPA-1 is SIGHT
R.R.R. is OCELOT
1+2-3 is ZERO
SATURNV is SOKOLOV
IVN =RV is RAIKOV
T.F-ACID is TELIKO
MGA2VE is VENUS
! TRAUMER is GAKO

Enjoy...Although, I really wish there's a code for Roy Cambell, too

BTW, this doesn't ruin the game at all...it just gives you the ability to play as different people, that's all...No plot key differences here.