PDA

View Full Version : Sony Files Patent For Wii-Like Pointing/Motion Sensing Tech

Elven6
December 7th, 2006, 04:04
It looks like Sony is continuing its implementation of Wii-like technology in the Playstation 3. Now, in addition to the tilt motion sensing, Sony is has filed a patent for technology which will allow users to point to places on the screen using a Wiimote-like pointing device. The patent even includes a description of "A receiver portion includ[ing] one or more sensor units located in or near the target area." Sounds like a sensor bar to us. You decide.

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/4511/

What are your thoughs on Sony's new "idea" :rolleyes:

ExcruciationX
December 7th, 2006, 04:55
I think it's stupid.

Emeriastone
December 7th, 2006, 19:21
If by 'new' you mean 'stolen', then I think it could be interesting, but cheap as hell too.

Accordion
December 7th, 2006, 20:14
they will do the reverse....have the tech in the sensor bar, and the IR in the controller....then its not copying....[sure]

Elven6
December 7th, 2006, 22:57
Think of it like this, Sony fanboys said the Wii remote sucked, now that Sony is coming out with it fans will praise it!

F9zDark
December 7th, 2006, 23:07
I find it funny how everyone pokes fun at Sony for implementing similar technology that their competitors are using. Really, this is NOTHING NEW in human society.

Who cares if Nintendo made it first? If other companies weren't allowed to make something that does the same thing but works differently there'd be no advancement, no competition, and shittier products. Competition leads to a better end product and is absolutely necessary to sustain a healthy economy.

mikebeaver
December 7th, 2006, 23:56
Who cares if Nintendo made it first? If other companies weren't allowed to make something that does the same thing but works differently there'd be no advancement, no competition, and shittier products. Competition leads to a better end product and is absolutely necessary to sustain a healthy economy.

Personnally I think it's great, it's the same as the Game Gear/ Lynx vs the Gameboy and PSP vs DS, nintendo come up with all the best ideas then others follow suit, it'll be Microsoft next with a Wii-mote, who cares, nobody does it like Nintendo, remember the first time you saw an N64 pad ! ! WHAT IS THAT ? ? we all screamed at the analogue stick, now it's a staple of almost every console this generation, the last and even before then.

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"
An old quote from somewher, seems to fit quite well.

ICE
December 8th, 2006, 00:15
nicely put

Makaveli777
December 8th, 2006, 01:35
I dont see whats wrong with trying to have the best of both worlds. They could have graphics and the wiimote thats sounds like a good thing not bad. If something is seen as sucessful it doesn't matter who it is somebody will improve upon it, its just a matter of time. If ps3 had a wiimote like device people could stop hating on it as much.

mavsman4457
December 8th, 2006, 01:43
Although it may be copying, it is awesome business technique and I can't wait for games to fully utilize the sixaxis and all it's ablilites.

VampDude
December 8th, 2006, 01:53
im still getting a Wii no matter what, nothing SONY do will push me in the direction of the PS3 even if they have Wii-Type-Technology
(which clearly they did'nt think of for themselves and stole the idea from Nintendo)

F9zDark
December 8th, 2006, 02:06
Again its not 'stealing'. Its 'advancement' per se. Who's to say that Sony's rendition of the 'wii-mote' won't work better than Nintendo's?

There's nothing wrong with competition. Without it we wouldn't have the choice between Xbox360, PS3 or Wii, or Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc...

DPyro
December 8th, 2006, 03:08
Lame....Filed: June 7, 2005

Miria
December 8th, 2006, 05:54
Whos actually got the patent on this?? Hopefulyl Nintendo.. so they can still get paid..

And i dont think they should be in the software lounge.. they should jus stick with hardware..

ashaw
December 8th, 2006, 06:37
Nope it is assighned to Sony

Inventors: Sproul; James Shannon; (Foster City, CA) ; Burrowes; Paul deNyse IV; (Foster City, CA)
Correspondence Name and Address:

CARR & FERRELL LLP
2200 GENG ROAD
PALO ALTO
CA
US

Assignee Name and Adress: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Serial No.: 147858
Series Code: 11
Filed: June 7, 2005

U.S. Current Class: 717/174
U.S. Class at Publication: 717/174
Intern'l Class: G06F 9/445 20060101 G06F009/445

Distortional
December 8th, 2006, 07:11
Who cares who made it first? What matters is who can utilise it better.

irongiant
December 8th, 2006, 10:32
Nintendo haven't invented motion sensing, all they've done is implemented it into a games console. There was a motion sensing Sidewinder pad from Microsoft a few years ago. Sony did disc based games with the Playstation and since the Gamecube Nintendo have too so they copied Sony. Microsoft copied just about everything that is good about the Playstation and it's success then added their own ideas on top. It's the way things move forward and get better.

Vegetable
December 8th, 2006, 13:26
Thankyou Elven6 for posting this Sony-bashing message. Although your intent was to establish that Sony is a big evil corporation hellbent on stealing every wonderful idea Nintendo thinks up, if you had bothered reading the date of the goddamn patent filing, you'd know that it was placed over a year ago, meaning it isn't a "new" idea in the context which you put it. But please, continue to make more threads taking jabs at Sony, maybe then the evil monopoly will fall and Nintendo will rise again!

GTFO.

Sony did disc based games with the Playstation and since the Gamecube Nintendo have too so they copied Sony.

If you wanted a good example you would have listed the Turbo Duo, or the Sega CD.

ElRazur
December 8th, 2006, 17:18
It is amazing how people post rubbish comments over Sony's action! We live in a competitive world and that's exactly what's happening which in the long run will benefit us the gamers....jeez!

S34MU5
December 8th, 2006, 17:29
well i am still first in line for PS3.

but as soon as i get wii i will praise the lord. and im gona sell ps3 first day.

maybe make a video of Wii fighting the PS3 like that vid of dreamcast and ps2, anyone seen it? its well good!

Elven6
December 8th, 2006, 20:50
Lame....Filed: June 7, 2005

Um the offical patent letter is dated November 30 2006, its on the Sega PS3 boards if u wanna check.

F9zDark
December 8th, 2006, 22:03
Um the offical patent letter is dated November 30 2006, its on the Sega PS3 boards if u wanna check.

Here you go:

Inventors: Sproul; James Shannon; (Foster City, CA) ; Burrowes; Paul deNyse IV; (Foster City, CA)
Correspondence Name and Address:

CARR & FERRELL LLP
2200 GENG ROAD
PALO ALTO
CA
US

Assignee Name and Adress: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Serial No.: 147858
Series Code: 11

U.S. Current Class: 717/174
U.S. Class at Publication: 717/174
Intern'l Class: G06F 9/445 20060101 G06F009/445

mavsman4457
December 8th, 2006, 22:51
Anyone know what's wrong if the command prompt opens then closes right away?

F9zDark
December 9th, 2006, 06:05

Wow, thats really off topic man... If you are running a program that works in the command prompt, it will execute until its completion and then exit. Type cmd into Start>Run and then execute the program by entering its directory.

December 9th, 2006, 14:06

Which is funny, because when was the Wii remote unveiled?

September 2005 at the Tokyo Game Show

(Could be disproven, I don't know when Nintendo filed their patent)

Elven6
December 9th, 2006, 17:30
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=7&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Sony+Computer%22.AS.&s2=2006&OS=AN/%22Sony+Computer%22+AND+2006

F9zDark
December 9th, 2006, 19:23
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=7&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Sony+Computer%22.AS.&s2=2006&OS=AN/%22Sony+Computer%22+AND+2006

And on that site it says Filed: May 27, 2005.

The date of filing is WHEN the inventor submitted the patent to the patent office. Therefore that means thats Sony submitted motion sensing tech way before Nintendo unveiled it (from Synthesis says). If Nintendo didn't patent it, then thats their stupidity; Sony could then sue them for patent infringement.

mavsman4457
December 9th, 2006, 22:52

Oh man I'm really sorry. I meant to post in a thread about using the sixaxis on a PC. Sorry about that and thanks for the attempted help. Don't worry I'm not an idiot, spammer, or randomer. :)

PSPFR3AK
December 10th, 2006, 02:02
people who say "copy" you make it sound ....bad?

irongiant
December 11th, 2006, 16:05
If you wanted a good example you would have listed the Turbo Duo, or the Sega CD.

Yup, or the Philips CDI or the Amiga CD32.. the point is everybody takes ideas from others, it's business and has always been the same. It's how things move forwards and get better, sane rational people understand that.. it's just blinkered fanbois that get all worked up about how anyone could possibly have ideas before their beloved Nintendo. The Sony hating goes way back to the original Playstation, as that's when Nintendo were knocked off their perch. If it wasn't for Sony and now also MS then Nintendo wouldn't have had any reason to come up with the DS and Wii.