PDA

View Full Version : Map This! v0.4

Pages : [1] 2

deniska
December 7th, 2006, 19:15
:::: Latest News [01/07/2007] ::::
0.4.60 beta version is out, featuring geolookup for US addresses and new GUI.
Scroll to page 16 for details...
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/mapthis0460.jpg

:::: Latest News [12/23/2006] ::::
Google adds detailed maps for Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Brazil, some parts of Africa and Eastern Europe to it's map service. Here is the article: http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/2006/12/google-maps-adds-singapore-hong-kong.html

:::: News [12/20/2006] ::::
1) Some chinese company makes and sells GPS-PSP cable, specifically for MapThis!
2) New Beta version, featuring address geo-lookup, is available.
:::See this thread for details:::

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/search_poi.jpg

NEW IN v0.4
-----------
- GPSFS format support. Map tiles are stored in a custom format for much faster transfer and access rate.
Zip support for maps is discontinued (since it was too slow for large maps)
- Added logic for low baud GPS devices (by Zero Altitude). To activate put SLOW_GPS=1 in config.txt
- Straight and path distance calculation in map mode
- Ability to add POI. ([X] in Map Mode)
- POI search / display. ([O] from Attraction selector screen). List the names of up to 100 closest
points of interest, which match your search criteria together with distances from current location
- Variable read-speed for "GPS from file" mode (FAKEFEED=1). While re-playing your pre-recorded GPS data,
press [X] to toggle re-play speed between x1,x3,x5,x7 speeds
- Last position recall. The application memorizes the latest position and zoom settings for each map.
- Improved map rotation logic for TRACK-UP mode. Use TURNSPEED variable in config.txt to specify the minimum
speed at which screen rotation takes place. This allows to reduce screen rotation due to deviation in
GPS coordinates while the device is not moving or moving slowly.
- Google maps version updated to most recent in WIFI download mode.
- "No UMD" bug is fixed. GPS read functionality does not depend on UMD in drive, wifi switch or
hold button position.
- STARTUPMAP=... option in config.txt allows to go directly to a specified map and enables the GPS mode.
- Improved and hopefully mode informative help screen ([START] button)
- New (faster) garbage collection logic (old logic used to crash application on large maps)
- More accurate distance calculation in GPS mode.
- Code cleanup (source code attached)
- New version of Windows Map Download Tool by in7ane (GPSFS conversion/support, new map vendors and much more)

Additional documentation & information:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21

Sample map of New York City with ~20000 POIs (banks, hotels, restaurants, supermarkets):
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/NEW_YORK_CITY_MANHATTAN.rar

Map This! is compatible with Holux's "Worlds Smallest GPS receiver" - GPSlim 240, which retails on ebay @ ~$80:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/gpslim240.jpg
Specification:
Tracks up to 20 satellites
Receiver: L1, C/A code.
Update rate: 1 HZ(max)
Antenna Type: Built in Patch Antenna.
Minimum signal tracked: -159dBm
Dimension: 64 x 22 x 15 mm
Weight : < 35g
Typical positioning: 5 - 25 m CEP (without SA)
Differential positioning:
With synchronous satellite EGNOS/ WAAS:
Position error:
< 2.2 m, horizontal 95% of the time.
< 5 m, vertical 95% of the time.
Velocity: 0.1 m/ sec
Time: 1 ?sec sync GPS time
Reacquisition: 0.1sec
Cold start: < 42 seconds
Warm start: < 38 seconds
Hot start: < 1 secondsDownload version 0.4 executable via comments link and Give Feedback

Emeriastone
December 7th, 2006, 19:19
Deniska, I won't lie, I've always admired your GPS applications, and now that there's a GPS receiver for the PSP, I am ITCHING to see what will happen. As soon as I can find one, I'm getting that GPS receiver.

deniska
December 7th, 2006, 19:27
Keep in mind that Map This! has no support for Sony's original GPS receiver. The software bundled with Sony's receiver only covers Japan at the moment, and there is no indications that it will be expanded to cover any other parts of the world in near future...

Russoxley187
December 7th, 2006, 19:38
Deniska, I won't lie, I've always admired your GPS applications, and now that there's a GPS receiver for the PSP, I am ITCHING to see what will happen. As soon as I can find one, I'm getting that GPS receiver.

I'm with you on this one...
The first part that is, I WILL NOT buy a GPS from Sony...
Deniskas App has a much higher coolness factor to it.
It will be interesting to see what kind of map pgor sony releases to go along with the App.
Maybe we can use it too, you never know...
I am installing the latest version o my PSP now.
Once again...

Deniska... You rock...
I hope I don't sound like a groupie...
But this really is the best app for the PSP in my opinion.
I still would love to know how many people out there run this app....

splodger15
December 7th, 2006, 19:51
deniska great work keep it up. Its good to see these kind of releases

bobbertson
December 7th, 2006, 20:04
How does that there gps device on the front page plug into the psp ? Through the usb port at the top ?

Russoxley187
December 7th, 2006, 20:07
There is a cable you have to make, and it connects through the serial port(by the Audio Jack)
I have a GPSlim236. Works like a charm...

porchemasi
December 7th, 2006, 20:28
PLEASE DENISKA

Make a guide that tells us EXACTLY WHAT GPS to buy and exactly the methods to setup the gps for the psp with ur software for north america

Russoxley187
December 7th, 2006, 20:44
PLEASE DENISKA

Make a guide that tells us EXACTLY WHAT GPS to buy and exactly the methods to setup the gps for the psp with ur software for north america

You can PM me and I will give you all the info if you want it.

deniska
December 7th, 2006, 21:17
Actually, most of that information is already available on my dcemu site and forums (deniska.dcemu.co.uk)
I'll be happy to answer any specific questions which were still not covered though...

Ichijoe
December 7th, 2006, 22:19
How exactly does the Holux connect (e.g. talk to), the PSP™?!

I wasn't aware that the PSP™ also had Bluetooth, and I'm not "seeing" anything about Wi-Fi about the GPS Reciver either?

Thus my Question, how is this soposed to work??

Russoxley187
December 7th, 2006, 22:53
How exactly does the Holux connect (e.g. talk to), the PSP™?!

I wasn't aware that the PSP™ also had Bluetooth, and I'm not "seeing" anything about Wi-Fi about the GPS Reciver either?

Thus my Question, how is this soposed to work??

You should go to Deniskas home ste and read all up on it.
There is a cable you have to make, which is fairly easy now that i look back. But it connects at the serial/audio jack and it goes into the GPS via it's USB port.
The PSP does not have Bluetooth and you will not be using that option anyways.
I pretty much have installed every version Deniska made and I can help you if you want it.
Like I said read up on the cable setup

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035

in7ane
December 8th, 2006, 00:29
deniska, thanks! This really does look great, very nice feature with the POI proximity search.

Now for a few weeks of field testing on holiday :)

pspryu101
December 8th, 2006, 00:33
woot!!:thumbup: i've been waitin 4 the latest release!!! Deniska ur the best!!!! nice update!!! bout to install this on my psp and imma try it out...:D

DarthPaul
December 8th, 2006, 01:03
this works on Puerto Rico?

antonyfl
December 8th, 2006, 01:18
Just a question... In recent events, MGS PO is out.... Is it possible eto *trick* the mgs po to thinking that MAP THIS can be the gps thingy on the psp so you can use the gps feature of mgs po?

EDIT: What I mean by the above post isnt just involving MAP THIS but.... is it possible to make a homebrew program not neccessarily with MAP THIS but maybe something similar to emulate the GPS reciever on the psp? That would be nice (but not probable?)

Russoxley187
December 8th, 2006, 03:10

Does Google have maps of Puerto Rico? YES

Then it works...

icsocket
December 8th, 2006, 03:39
Greate work deniska. :thumbup:

deniska
December 8th, 2006, 03:59

Run the attached windows map tool and see if you can get desired level of detail with google/msn or any other supported vendors....

d3v1l
December 8th, 2006, 06:15
How do i download the google map of the benelux/europe? the attached map tool doesnt work n i cant download from google..any links?

vitalik2k
December 8th, 2006, 08:57
MSN Maps don't work. When I choose MSN Map - i see google map.

deniska
December 8th, 2006, 15:27
MSN Maps don't work. When I choose MSN Map - i see google map.

Hmm they seem to work for me just fine..
BTW, all navigation is done via google maps, but when you choose preview or commit to actual download - you should see MSN map...

deniska
December 8th, 2006, 15:34
How do i download the google map of the benelux/europe? the attached map tool doesnt work n i cant download from google..any links?

Make sure that you install
Microsoft .net 2 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/) (~22Mb)
Also, in some cases you need to clean up IE cache prior to using this tool...
BTW, benelux seem to have good map coverage ;-)

pooka
December 8th, 2006, 17:22
huuuh

Russoxley187
December 8th, 2006, 17:31
It works, just gets some getting used to.

vitalik2k
December 8th, 2006, 19:29
Deniska, will next version support original Sony GPS receiver? I think it's very logical. With original receiver you can play official Sony games with GPS and use it your MapThis and don't need to solder wires and hack third party GPS receivers - just plug and use. I think this feature (use original Sony GPS) is wost wanted by almost all in this forum. Thanks for your work.

kAraCHo
December 8th, 2006, 20:34
Hi Deniska!
I just want to thank you for this great app, I'm using it since version 0.2.. and it has already helped me alot! Going to test version 0.4 now ;)
And thanks to In7ane also for the great gmdl-tool!

karacho

roger99
December 8th, 2006, 22:32
Good work deniska, been eagerly awaiting this version. No more waiting for 10 hours to transfer maps to memory stick. Keep up the good work dude, your software just keeps getting better and better.

:thumbup:

lilskaterpunk
December 9th, 2006, 01:38
I just wanted to thankyou for this awesome program:thumbup: Now i was wondering if its possible to send me a link or pm on how to install the maps. I have tried many times now and i made a poi file....and put it in my maps folder and when i go to load it it just says please wait while loading map and now for 15 min nothing has change...any help much appreciated
Thanks

Blazer

lunlun
December 9th, 2006, 01:57
Now if u sell the cable link from psp to the gps it will be :thumbup:

lilskaterpunk
December 9th, 2006, 04:30
Well i got the map to show up on my psp but now just wondering in order for it to move and show where i am do i need to purchase a GPS icon thing that plugs into my psp? or can i do it a different way?

A Fn NOOB
December 9th, 2006, 06:58
Thank You Deniska, In7ane, for the excellent software, and all the effort you guys have put into this project!

DaxDce
December 11th, 2006, 12:10
Hi Mighty Duo!

a suggestion: what do you think to add a new screen to mapthis! ?

http://www.deathfolder.com/psp.jpg

Russoxley187
December 11th, 2006, 13:24
Thats pretty Kick A$$, but you would have to make two versions I suppose, MPH and KPH.
For all our European friends...

DaxDce
December 11th, 2006, 14:01
...sure. Absolutely no problem.

fokia
December 11th, 2006, 17:03
great work, once more...

I've Been away due to lack of time, but have to pull off some to try this...

Regards...
F

RomComZom
December 11th, 2006, 17:26
how do I go about getting a full map of a city? i'm trying to get Houston, TX and it only does a certain amount of the map, but I would like to get all of Houston.

lastyle
December 11th, 2006, 17:46
Awesome Tool, no doubt. Do you think it may be possible to add a function which creates a File containing the Geodata of a marked route ? I like to have this feature for creating a route which follows all streets of a city. Think this is quite simmilar to the route tracker, so it may be possible. Hopefully i can import this data to any routing software which would give me a datailed route which contains the streetnames then.

deniska
December 12th, 2006, 01:47
how do I go about getting a full map of a city? i'm trying to get Houston, TX and it only does a certain amount of the map, but I would like to get all of Houston.
Just play wih all the options in the windows map download tool... try changing the zoom and check the previews before you start downloading...

GPSFan
December 12th, 2006, 01:48
Hi I was wondering if there's a way where I can entire an address let's say I wanna get from where I am to 1234 DENISKA AVE., TORONTO, ON CANADA can I enter that address and it will search or are we stil looking for a way around that?

deniska
December 12th, 2006, 01:52
Awesome Tool, no doubt. Do you think it may be possible to add a function which creates a File containing the Geodata of a marked route ? I like to have this feature for creating a route which follows all streets of a city. Think this is quite simmilar to the route tracker, so it may be possible. Hopefully i can import this data to any routing software which would give me a datailed route which contains the streetnames then.

I am not exactly sure what exaclty you asking to implement.
If you give me references to open source software which has these features, perhaps I could try to look in to it...

deniska
December 12th, 2006, 02:01
Hi I was wondering if there's a way where I can entire an address let's say I wanna get from where I am to 1234 DENISKA AVE., TORONTO, ON CANADA can I enter that address and it will search or are we stil looking for a way around that?
You can create a route, using windows download tool and import it in to Map This.
map This!, itself does not have enough data to calculate routes & generate turn by turn instructions.

deniska
December 12th, 2006, 02:18
Hi Mighty Duo!

a suggestion: what do you think to add a new screen to mapthis! ?

http://www.deathfolder.com/psp.jpg

Thanks for the design suggestion.
Post the templates for both versions the font for the digits and I'll see if i could plug it in...

Psyberjock
December 12th, 2006, 13:19
Deniska, I thought I'd run this by you before I jumped in to the program since my C++ skills are only as good as a single semester of programming in university.

I'm thinking of making a 2.71 SE-C PRX that would parse and interpret the usbgps.prx output as serial input. That way I can use the sony gps in your MapThis program. I have been dying to use your program with GPS, but I never got around to buying a receiver. Now I just bought the sony version since it's a good $30 less than the PC versions. If this is successful then I could probably also do the reverse and make the PRX also accept serial input and interpret it as usbgps.prx output.

Now, as I said, my programming skills are pretty crappy, but I can't let my gps go to waste so I'm willing to install the toolchain and build the program myself if I have to. But I'm also wondering if you could pound out a program like that in a day or two? If so, it might be more expedient if you took up the task. Or if you're planning on implementing usbgps support in MapThis, I may just wait for that.

Please let me know what you think. The sooner you reply, the sooner I can decide what I'll do, be it waiting or programming or whatever.

Thanks!

Russoxley187
December 12th, 2006, 14:00
Deniska, I thought I'd run this by you before I jumped in to the program since my C++ skills are only as good as a single semester of programming in university.

I'm thinking of making a 2.71 SE-C PRX that would parse and interpret the usbgps.prx output as serial input. That way I can use the sony gps in your MapThis program. I have been dying to use your program with GPS, but I never got around to buying a receiver. Now I just bought the sony version since it's a good $30 less than the PC versions. If this is successful then I could probably also do the reverse and make the PRX also accept serial input and interpret it as usbgps.prx output.

Now, as I said, my programming skills are pretty crappy, but I can't let my gps go to waste so I'm willing to install the toolchain and build the program myself if I have to. But I'm also wondering if you could pound out a program like that in a day or two? If so, it might be more expedient if you took up the task. Or if you're planning on implementing usbgps support in MapThis, I may just wait for that.

Please let me know what you think. The sooner you reply, the sooner I can decide what I'll do, be it waiting or programming or whatever.

Thanks!

If you want to make alot of people happy, you could try doing something like that for HEN-D Users. The program runs fine but does not get any data from the GPS.
That would be AWESOME. What do you think?

DaxDce
December 12th, 2006, 14:41
Thanks for the design suggestion.
Post the templates for both versions the font for the digits and I'll see if i could plug it in...

If you agree i can send you the .psd layered file. And, if you want i can try to redisign logo, splashscreen, etc... of MapThis!.

I'd like to contribute to this fantastic project.

PS
it's possibile that the gpsf map are slower on my psp than the older, uncompressed, ones?

RomComZom
December 12th, 2006, 17:54
after you click "download the map" and you go into the preview screen with all the tiles to check/uncheck, is there a way to cancel that screen? or after if starts to downlaod. I just quit the program.

deniska
December 12th, 2006, 23:16
If you agree i can send you the .psd layered file. And, if you want i can try to redisign logo, splashscreen, etc... of MapThis!.

I'd like to contribute to this fantastic project.

PS
it's possibile that the gpsf map are slower on my psp than the older, uncompressed, ones?

Sure thing, just attach your new versions to this thread (zipped) and 'll use them .. if I like what I see..

gpsfs may be slightly slower than open directory structure on really large maps (1024x+)... it would also take longer to startup since it's reading the indexes in to memory for faster access.. but it has it's benefits...
You can always "unzip" it and load the good old directory structure on your MS...

Psyberjock
December 13th, 2006, 00:28
If you want to make alot of people happy, you could try doing something like that for HEN-D Users. The program runs fine but does not get any data from the GPS.
That would be AWESOME. What do you think?

Well, that's the idea. This should be usable in devhook as well once it's finished.

The only problem is if I have to program it alone I'll have to take a crashcourse in PSP programming before I can start. I'm hoping the nature of a GPS unit will make it easier on me. Maybe only turning it on and off and parsing the stream of data.

If it's similar to the function calls that I found for the chotto shot it should take a minimal amount of time, but again, I'm not an experienced programmer, so don't hold your breath while you wait. It could be months.

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 08:46
ok, let's start from the beginning.
Here's the logo:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/log.png

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 08:47
... the opening screen:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/opening.png

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 08:48
... the splascreen:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/splashscreen.png

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 08:49
... the background:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/background.png

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 08:49
... and the icon:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/icon.png

Russoxley187
December 13th, 2006, 13:13
WOW, those are sexy...
Very nice....

Psyberjock
December 13th, 2006, 14:03
The splashscreen should say "distracting" not "distructing."

Russoxley187
December 13th, 2006, 15:14
Good Point...
Anyhow, How do I add the Icon and the Opening screen?
I imagine its in the Eboot, but I have no clue on how to extract and replace it.

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 15:33
That proposal was just a suggestion for Deniska, if he think they're good, he can include it in the future release.

RomComZom
December 13th, 2006, 15:36
Good Point...
Anyhow, How do I add the Icon and the Opening screen?
I imagine its in the Eboot, but I have no clue on how to extract and replace it.

You could use an app called PBP Unpacker

Russoxley187
December 13th, 2006, 15:57
Thank you.. Works great..

Now we just need to get that spelling error fixed...
I like the icon and splash screen alot..
What about an new arrow Icon?

DaxDce
December 13th, 2006, 16:30
...spelling error fixed. Here's some icon replacement for the arrows:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows.png

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows5.png

a car version (Mini Cooper):

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows2.png

an F-150 version :-)

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows6.png

a motorcycle version (Honda CBR 600):

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows4.png

an airplane version(Mustang P51D):

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows3.png

Russoxley187
December 13th, 2006, 16:44
I used the Car one before..
nice...

RomComZom
December 13th, 2006, 18:44
nice work DaxDce! I made a new icon for Music Venue's.. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/romcomzom/Misc/music_venue.png
I'm not to good at icon making, but oh well.

vitalik2k
December 14th, 2006, 15:28
New design, logo are cool, but the greatest thing that can be is original Sony GPS receiver support! so you dont need to solder wires, it cannot BRICK your PSP, it looks good and cost $60. Wishlist #1 is Sony GPS receiver support. Please, Deniska, make it!

Russoxley187
December 14th, 2006, 16:09
BUT..........

No doubt if you are in your car are driving you will not pick up that many sats with that antenna.
I bought an external antenna for my GPSLim 236 and I can get 13 Sats at different times. I guarantee that the PSP one will not work as good as the others.
One question though.
Maybe we can crack the GPS schematics so we can use the USB Port on the PSP with our current GPS ststems.
Then maybe deniska can make Voice commands for Map This for directions. "Like Turn right, turn Left"
Just an idea...

Deniska, what do you think???

Russoxley187
December 14th, 2006, 16:10
...spelling error fixed. Here's some icon replacement for the arrows:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows.png

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows5.png

a car version (Mini Cooper):

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows2.png

a motorcycle version (Honda CBR 600):

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows4.png

an airplane version(Mustang P51D):

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/arrows3.png

Dude,
are you taking requests for Icons?
I would really love an Ford F-150...
That would rock...

Russoxley187
December 14th, 2006, 16:11
Sorry about the Double post.....

vitalik2k
December 15th, 2006, 08:39
BUT..........

No doubt if you are in your car are driving you will not pick up that many sats with that antenna.
I bought an external antenna for my GPSLim 236 and I can get 13 Sats at different times. I guarantee that the PSP one will not work as good as the others.
One question though.
Maybe we can crack the GPS schematics so we can use the USB Port on the PSP with our current GPS ststems.
Then maybe deniska can make Voice commands for Map This for directions. "Like Turn right, turn Left"
Just an idea...

Yep, original Sony GPS is not such sensitive than bluetooth GPS on your car's roof, but Sony use SiRF Star III - like other GPS products. I think original Sony GPS is more user-friendly especially for noobz (plug it to usb and run MapThis), no need to buy remote control, cut off wires, resistors, even you can brick your PSP. This scary word BRICK holds away most of noobz from this MapThis

DaxDce
December 15th, 2006, 08:56
Yep, original Sony GPS is not such sensitive than bluetooth GPS on your car's roof, but Sony use SiRF Star III - like other GPS products. I think original Sony GPS is more user-friendly especially for noobz (plug it to usb and run MapThis), no need to buy remote control, cut off wires, resistors, even you can brick your PSP. This scary word BRICK holds away most of noobz from this MapThis

you can find gps unit already mod for psp on internet.

Psyberjock
December 15th, 2006, 12:33
but you can find a gps unit made specifically for psp (and cheaper) at your local game shop. (well if you live in Japan like I do)

Russoxley187
December 16th, 2006, 10:58
but you can find a gps unit made specifically for psp (and cheaper) at your local game shop. (well if you live in Japan like I do)

thats one of the advantages of living in japan...
Too bad I'm not stationed there anymore.

xb0xb0y
December 17th, 2006, 02:10
Is the communication cable wiring for the Holux 240 GPS the same as the 236? And is the feature and functions identical for both units? I'm looking to purchase a GPS unit to use with my PSP and Map This and trying to decide which one to purchase.

icsocket
December 17th, 2006, 06:21
Is the communication cable wiring for the Holux 240 GPS the same as the 236? And is the feature and functions identical for both units? I'm looking to purchase a GPS unit to use with my PSP and Map This and trying to decide which one to purchase.

Yes. I am using 240 with original (236) cable design.
They are virtually identical but I think 236 has a few advantage over 240. Longer battery life, user replaceable battery, external cable connector. Possibly better internal antenna since it is bigger.

But 240 is smaller, look much cooler. :cool:

Oh, I forgot one thing. 240 output voltage is lower than 236. I tried without register, but it seems(not a fact) PSP got little bit unstable, so I decided to use 1K register as with the original design. No problem so far.

vitalik2k
December 18th, 2006, 11:33
you can find gps unit already mod for psp on internet.
But with original Sony GPS i can play GPS enabled games. anyway mapthis for original sony gps is best solution

Russoxley187
December 18th, 2006, 15:43
maybe Deniska could make the SONY GPS work with Mapthis..
That would help ppl with not making cables.
I was a little scared about bricking mine, but i used no resistor and it works like a charm...
Never have a prob....

deniska
December 18th, 2006, 16:36
BUT..........

Just an idea...

This was answered a few times before, but I'll repeat since people seem to be still confused. Please correct me if I missed some new developments on this issue..

PSP (as of 2.71 FW) could not serve as USB host, and usb protocol assumes client-host communication. - ie you cannot connect two clients together...
Holux devises use serial protocol for communication .. they just use the usb connector (very confusing...)

So far I was not able to run any of the "standard" sound libraries (madlib,mikmod,etc) together with GPS mode (kernel mode plus a couple of modules to load). perhaps someone could take a closer look at this issue - it's not on my list of high priorities for now. Sound would, in fact, require extra wireing and external speakers with current setup, since the phone plug (required to power up the comm port) "mutes" psp's internal speakers...

deniska
December 18th, 2006, 16:51
But with original Sony GPS i can play GPS enabled games. anyway mapthis for original sony gps is best solution

About the original GPS unit from Sony setup--
I'll try to look in to this but there are two "show-stoppers" so far:
1) I don't have the original GPS unit and not really anxtious to spend my money on one. In my opinion, "generic" GPS devices are still more versatile and better value. For example, you can still use your holux receiver with a notebook or a cellphone, in case your psp dies.

2) I am not really good at cracking new FW modules.
So if someone shows me (read - posts working code sample) how to access data from Sony recever via the gps module, I'd gladly add this functionality to the application. There may still be questions about the data format that Sony uses (I really hope they use NMEA 0183)

But it's all not without hope...
People offered to setup a donation thread to get me Sony's GPS device for my experiments... so we'll see how it develops. No promices though... :-)

deniska
December 18th, 2006, 17:01
... the opening screen:

http://www.deathfolder.com/mapthis/opening.png

DaxDce, thanks for cool graphics. I do like the logo, opening screen, icon and the splash screen.
I'll make sure they get in the next release...
I'll try to play with the arrow icons to see which one works the best for me...

Liriel
December 18th, 2006, 23:33
i had a little wish . thats the funktion to read out the real speed that the vehicle have

deniska
December 19th, 2006, 01:01
i had a little wish . thats the funktion to read out the real speed that the vehicle have
what do you mean?

Liriel
December 19th, 2006, 07:51
i mean the funktion that show the current speed in miles pro hour oder kilometres pro hour.

or is it in the programm?

deniska
December 19th, 2006, 14:26
i mean the funktion that show the current speed in miles pro hour oder kilometres pro hour.

or is it in the programm?
it's been there for quite awhile..

Russoxley187
December 19th, 2006, 15:15
It sure has.

I got a question for ya though.
I have not been having any troubles with my prog, but this morning it would stop tracking for me periodically, and tell me that the data is bad.
I didnt kink or break the cable as far as I know.
any suggestions?

deniska
December 19th, 2006, 22:12
check if your gps is fixed on satelites. Holux would have a red blinking light when it is fixed on good signal.

Russoxley187
December 20th, 2006, 01:30
it was fixed...
i was tracking 8 sats..
thats a lil strange..
never happened before...
i'm gonna donate to your SONY GPS fund, how much more do ya need, if you dont mind me asking.

deniska
December 20th, 2006, 03:12
Whatever you feel like... ;-)

deniska
December 20th, 2006, 03:40
LOL, I just found out that some chinese company sells a cable specifically made for MapThis and it's derivatives (apparently chinese folks made their own customized versions....)
Below is google translation of the page and some images:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.pspchina.net%2Fviewth read.php%3Ftid%3D150229%26extra%3Dpage%253D1&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

http://www.moby.cn/uploads/200612160753400556.jpg

PSP线控插头
http://www.moby.cn/uploads/200612160754070845.jpg

GPS端USB小口插头
http://www.moby.cn/uploads/200612160754260937.jpg

Russoxley187
December 20th, 2006, 05:28
I would order one or two if I knew how much they were and knew chinese..
that sucks

I wanted to add that I sent a PM to chi80, the guy who was building a chinese version of MAPTHIS to see if he could get these for us, I would make a bulk order if needed and sell them individually for the same price I got them, I'm not tryin to make money here.
Does that sound like a good idea???

deniska
December 20th, 2006, 14:29
Well, I don't really need one, but it may help other people...

Russoxley187
December 20th, 2006, 16:25
I would like two for myself for my other two vehicles...
But I really dont feel like buyng more headphone cables... kinda hard to come by and expensive.
E-bay can be such a pain...

yuxiang1122
December 21st, 2006, 02:36
dear mate, its a really good work! and i just want 2 ask a quick question. how can the Holux's GPS receiver connect 2 PSP? it seems that psp havent got bluetooth mate... could u teach me how and send it 2 my email: [email protected]. thx a lot.

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 02:41
there is a thread in this forum dedicated to this...
It has pictures descriptions etc...

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 03:45
I need volunteers to test the address search function that I am trying to implement.

The address search is based on open-source geocoder by Dan Egnor: http://ofb.net/~egnor/google.html (http://ofb.net/%7Eegnor/google.html)

It uses the Tiger Line data from US Sensus Bureau:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tiger2006fe/tgr2006fe.html

(Yep, as you already guessed, this feature is US only :-( )

Attached, is the geomap index for New York state.
You'll need to unzip the files (zip.txt and all.map) and drop them in to any NY map directory.
Following map can be used for testing:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/NEW_YORK_CITY_MANHATTAN.rar

If you run linux, using Dan's instructions, you can compile index for any other state or combination of them.
I'll try to generate more indexes shortly...

Anyway,
Press [R-TRIGGER] + [X] to activate the address lookup form, while in map mode.

Only the address line should be sufficient for a successfull geo-lookup, but the more information you enter the faster the search would be.
The search could take from a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the query details.
The fastest is the "addr line + zipcode" combo.

Basic testing would involve loading some business listings for an area (restaurants, hotels, etc) and then verifying the geo position of that business via the geo lookup, by entering the address...
I tried to punch in about 20 NY restaurant addresses and they all worked... This, of course, needs a broader testing....

Russoxley187
December 21st, 2006, 04:07
I'm all over it like white on Rice...
I will let you know what I come up with...

OOOPS>>>>
Got a big one...

Its R-Trigger and X..

took me a few min to figure out... thought i goofed something up....

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 04:27
I

OOOPS>>>>
Got a big one...

Its R-Trigger and X..

Fixed the text...
sorry, some times I get confused:rofl:

moursika
December 21st, 2006, 15:55
hi everyone!!!

I would like to know if the 0.40 version of the "Map This!" software, can be run in the custom firmware 271 C???

thanks a lot, and congratulations for you your work, it`s realy good

regards;
moursika

Russoxley187
December 21st, 2006, 16:20
Sure does...
I ran it up until a few days ago...

Deniska..
Is there any way we can try to make our own data, that way we might be able to test it better?
I have no clue about NY. Never been there..
I think we could test it better if we were more familiar with the streets...
But I suppose we could just use the NY map to get street names..
Also I was able to find a video with the Sony Map software.
Pretty neat some of the functions it has. But I am used to the functions you made, i like your better, IE the Zoom....
But I just thought that you might want top take a look at it yourself to see if you wnat to add stuff..
Just a thought...
I'll find the link for you again...

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 18:07
which state do you live in?

moursika
December 21st, 2006, 19:27
hi it`s not workin on my psp with custom firmware 271.

when I press run in the aplication, the screen get`s black, the psp shutdown...

Does anyone know why this happen???

thanks

regards
moursika

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 19:35
Some more geo-index files.. (PA, NJ, MI)
You'll need to unzip the file for your state, rename it to "all.map" and copy it to your map's folder.
You'll also need zip.txt file... I attached one to new york index file a few posts before

Russoxley187
December 21st, 2006, 20:08
I live in NC...

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 21:02
Here is the NC geo-index...

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/all.map.nc.zip

Russoxley187
December 21st, 2006, 22:58
well,
I tried 5 diff addresses and i got nothing..
renamed the geo index to all.map
and got the zip txt file. put them in the same folder as my maps.
did I do something wrong?
miss a step?

well, looks like it likes to make a long search instead of a short one..
I left out some info and it found the addresses

is it had to make the GEO data?
Can you make one for Wash DC for me?
I'm going there next week on business...
You are the man..

wiki84
December 22nd, 2006, 13:02
hi it`s not workin on my psp with custom firmware 271.

when I press run in the aplication, the screen get`s black, the psp shutdown...

Does anyone know why this happen???

thanks

regards
moursika
On my 271sec works. And also on the 302oe-a. Try to disable the overclock module if you have it

Russoxley187
December 22nd, 2006, 14:25
On my 271sec works. And also on the 302oe-a. Try to disable the overclock module if you have it

I think I might install that today...
Does mapthis work with it?
It should ...

deniska
December 22nd, 2006, 17:07
Here is the VA&DC geo-index...

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/all.map.va-dc.zip

RomComZom
December 22nd, 2006, 17:13
map this 0.4 works with 2.71se-c and 3.02oe.
how about tx or houston tx geo-index

Psyberjock
December 23rd, 2006, 06:58
About the original GPS unit from Sony setup--
I'll try to look in to this but there are two "show-stoppers" so far:
1) I don't have the original GPS unit and not really anxtious to spend my money on one. In my opinion, "generic" GPS devices are still more versatile and better value. For example, you can still use your holux receiver with a notebook or a cellphone, in case your psp dies.

2) I am not really good at cracking new FW modules.
So if someone shows me (read - posts working code sample) how to access data from Sony recever via the gps module, I'd gladly add this functionality to the application. There may still be questions about the data format that Sony uses (I really hope they use NMEA 0183)

But it's all not without hope...
People offered to setup a donation thread to get me Sony's GPS device for my experiments... so we'll see how it develops. No promices though... :-)

JohnMPH and I have been delving into some of the UsbGps files and have come up with a bit of progress.

All of the code work and decompiling is JohnMPH's and I've been supplying tests and research data. You can check out our thread on ps2dev.org

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=48925#48925

JohnMPH is still working on the code but I think I know what one of the issues is. We're currently corresponding on this. Maybe soon we'll have enough done for homebrew utilizing the UsbGps.

You'll notice in his posts that he has created a program that retrieves data from the UsbGps.

deniska
December 23rd, 2006, 21:36
Really good stuff..

I guess I am gonna order one of those receivers!

Russoxley187
December 23rd, 2006, 21:48
Here is the VA&DC geo-index...

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/all.map.va-dc.zip

Thank you sir...

I wanted to let you know that I also emailed the Chinese site that makes the cables, adn I still have not heard back from him

epericho
December 24th, 2006, 00:11
Hi all,

Just to tell you that I have asked for some info about that cable and here is the answer I had:

" The cable's price is 14.99$(USD) without shipping fee, if you wanna buy one, email to

[email protected]"

I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I think it can be good to know...

Just another question, I have read the precedent reply and I wanted to know if I have well understood:

mapthis may be is going to work with sony gps receiver????

Merry Christmas

Russoxley187
December 24th, 2006, 00:58
Hi all,

Just to tell you that I have asked for some info about that cable and here is the answer I had:

" The cable's price is 14.99$(USD) without shipping fee, if you wanna buy one, email to

[email protected]"

I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I think it can be good to know...

Just another question, I have read the precedent reply and I wanted to know if I have well understood:

mapthis may be is going to work with sony gps receiver????

Merry Christmas

I did that 3 days ago... Still no answer...
I will let you know..

Psyberjock
December 24th, 2006, 03:20
Really good stuff..

I guess I am gonna order one of those receivers!

Sounds good! I have been testing it a lot lately and once it connects, it works really well. It can run inside a car with no additional antenna as long as it is near a window. Despite it's size, it's decent. I hope you like it.

Here's some videos of the Japanese GPS software Maplus. I made these videos for JohnMPH so he could see some of the more complex workings of the USB GPS in action. They also show the capabilities of the GPS software here in Japan. Personally I like the routing and voice directions capabilites of Maplus, but the map details of MapThis are much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH7iPv871nI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNreVf93G8

deniska
December 24th, 2006, 05:11
map this 0.4 works with 2.71se-c and 3.02oe.
how about tx or houston tx geo-index
I'll upload one once i get back to work on Tuesday...
Actually, I am thinking of re-writing that geocoder code and changing the file format (hopefully to allow reverse lookup) so those index files will probably not stick for long...

in7ane, let me know when your are back - I may need your help with Tiger data processing tool for windows, since most of people did not like linux/cygwin scripts....

JingYou
December 25th, 2006, 00:19
Hi can some1 please guide on how to install map this! software into my PSP which is on 3.02 OE. Thanks..

Russoxley187
December 25th, 2006, 02:00
just throw tthe two folders into the Game folder...
easy as pie..
I really loved how fast the cursor moved..
is there any way to speed up ours?
like in the config file?

JingYou
December 25th, 2006, 05:05
Hi, thanks for the answer. I manage to get Map This v.4 to work on my 3.02OE firmware by adjusting the settings in recovery menu under advance section.

Getting my country map was a painful with the gmdl software as it was buggy. But i managed to get the portion of my country out and test it on my PSP.

I'm still familarizing with the software before i hook myself with a GPS unit. Was wondering if Sony's PSP GPS addon unit is compatible with Custom firmware/Devhook and Map This v.4 software?

Comments:
Map This v.4 is solid, but aesthetically poor.. =P
gmdl software is buggy, but figurable =D

Russoxley187
December 25th, 2006, 07:30
Hi, thanks for the answer. I manage to get Map This v.4 to work on my 3.02OE firmware by adjusting the settings in recovery menu under advance section.

Getting my country map was a painful with the gmdl software as it was buggy. But i managed to get the portion of my country out and test it on my PSP.

I'm still familarizing with the software before i hook myself with a GPS unit. Was wondering if Sony's PSP GPS addon unit is compatible with Custom firmware/Devhook and Map This v.4 software?

Comments:

What?
You have to be kidding me..
MapThis is the Shit...
And as far as working with Sony's receiver, as of right now, No...
Only time will tell though...

Psyberjock
December 25th, 2006, 11:47
I have to answer the other side of your question though. The Sony USB GPS does work with 3.02 OE as well as 2.71, 2.71 SE-(All), Devhook (emulating 2.7 and up) and everything else that has the usbgps.prx file.

It seems that MapThis will support the USB GPS in the near future. Who will build the first release of it is still up in the air, but at least two people are working on it (with me assisting one of them with the device functions)

A Fn NOOB
December 26th, 2006, 09:32
The sooner you can get MapThis to work with Sony's gps, the sooner you will be on Slashdot,Endagadget,HackaDay, etc!

Fun,fun,fun

deniska
December 26th, 2006, 14:41
Comments:

Well, I am not a graphics designer... At this stage I am still concentrating on the features, rather than the interface and design...
BTW, you should be able to change most of the graphics/fonts, etc... as long as you keep the right proportions...

gmdl suggestions should be forwarded to in7ane, as he is the creator of this software.
Personally, I think that gmdl is not that buggy, but rather has some learning curve - I wish someone would write a tutorial on how to use it... and what caveats to watch for...

deniska
December 26th, 2006, 14:45
The sooner you can get MapThis to work with Sony's gps, the sooner you will be on Slashdot,Endagadget,HackaDay, etc!

Fun,fun,fun
I am planning on getting the original GPS unit from Sony in the near future. If you want to speed up the event, feel free to donate a couple of bucks towards this...(some one started a donation thread in the disccussion part of the forums).. ;-)

shAkurIV
December 27th, 2006, 13:02
Hi. I am lost. Im from slovakia but here ist PSP not so popular.
So I looking information here.
My english is not so good and i am lost.
I want GPS and now i dont now if i need holux 240, or holux 236 or witchone and witch map this.
And big problem. if its possible download Some Slovakia maps. pleas help me somebody thanks. Can you contakt me on e-mail: [email protected] thanks thanks thanks

Russoxley187
December 27th, 2006, 14:06
Either one would work fine.
I have the 236 myself, works like a charm...
And the maps are really easy to make, but it does take some getting used to, takea the time to read through the forum and learn how to use the software.
It will pay off in the long run, trust me....

Russoxley187
December 29th, 2006, 15:16
Well,
Here comes another test for Mapthis...
I'm leaving NC tomorrow driving to Washington DC to attent the viewing of President Ford. Soooo exited at another chance to use this great app...

TheWanderer
December 29th, 2006, 16:01
So, let me get this straight, they are working on a Sony GPS compatible version?

I ordered one from hong kong just the other day...

Russoxley187
December 29th, 2006, 16:10
I think its in the works...
Look through this thread....

TheWanderer
December 29th, 2006, 16:24
Sweet...

Densika, have your ordered one yet or?

I'll donate to the cause...can send some cash via paypal...

deniska
December 29th, 2006, 17:57
I am going to order one probably right after the holidays..
If you want to donate - check the relevant thread in discussion forum...

Thanks in advance :-)

TheWanderer
December 29th, 2006, 19:28
$20US Sent!

Hopefully this will be good to go before I leave for Europe this May!

deniska
December 29th, 2006, 20:13
thanks! got it!
it should not be long before we figure out how to communicate with the original gps unit...
People already made a pretty big progress there...

GIS
December 31st, 2006, 09:56
I Donate $20US to Sony GPS

deniska
December 31st, 2006, 23:07
Got 50$ so far, thanks to all of you, guys!

I can feel the spirit of the season. :-)

Actually, someone just ordered a gps unit for me
from play-asia. It's supposently paid in full and being processed. I'll let you know the status of it.
Meanwhile, I have a dilema: if everything works out I may end up with a gps unit and $50.. so, I see following options:
1) I can try to send it to a person who is getting me the unit
2) I can refund folks who wants it back
3) I get to kee the money and perhaps forward it towards buying GPS software titles, trying to reverse engeneer the GPS calls...

Please let me know what you want to do..

Happy Holidays!!!

Psyberjock
January 1st, 2007, 03:34
Got 50$ so far, thanks to all of you, guys!

I can feel the spirit of the season. :-)

Actually, someone just ordered a gps unit for me
from play-asia. It's supposently paid in full and being processed. I'll let you know the status of it.
Meanwhile, I have a dilema: if everything works out I may end up with a gps unit and $50.. so, I see following options:
1) I can try to send it to a person who is getting me the unit
2) I can refund folks who wants it back
3) I get to kee the money and perhaps forward it towards buying GPS software titles, trying to reverse engeneer the GPS calls...

Please let me know what you want to do..

Happy Holidays!!!

Re #3:

I've bought all of the GPS software titles so far. That's why we have as much progress as we do with the functions. You can buy them if you really want, but I don't think it would be necessary.

I didn't donate any money (buying GPS games to find functions) but maybe you can save it for future costs of programming that may come up. Leave it in the account and then when something else comes up there's already a foundation.

Just an idea.

ovaltine
January 1st, 2007, 10:44
I'm using 2.71 SE-B'' custom firmware and found the following bug. When I power off the PSP and power it back up, move the map, then change zoom, I will get a blank grid.

The workaround I found is to not move the map after a power off/power on. Press the [Select] button and choose the map after a power off/power on. I can then move the map and change zoom properly.

Another bug is that I cannot exit out of Map This when I press the [Home] button. When I select "Yes" to confirm exit and press the [O] button (Japanese version) nothing happens. I have to do a hard shutdown if I want to use the PSP for something else.

Minor bugs to an otherwise excellent piece of software -- thanks Deniska!

Russoxley187
January 1st, 2007, 14:18
I'm using 2.71 SE-B'' custom firmware and found the following bug. When I power off the PSP and power it back up, move the map, then change zoom, I will get a blank grid.

The workaround I found is to not move the map after a power off/power on. Press the [Select] button and choose the map after a power off/power on. I can then move the map and change zoom properly.

Another bug is that I cannot exit out of Map This when I press the [Home] button. When I select "Yes" to confirm exit and press the [O] button (Japanese version) nothing happens. I have to do a hard shutdown if I want to use the PSP for something else.

Minor bugs to an otherwise excellent piece of software -- thanks Deniska!

You can hold the Select Button to exit back to the XMB....

pt9087
January 1st, 2007, 14:39
Good Stuff

felipeou
January 2nd, 2007, 03:00
Hey fellows
Really nice work being developed here, As soon as I get my gps unit from Play-asia I gonna start to test it here in Brazil and report progress too

Congratulations for this great work

f34rth3r34p3r
January 3rd, 2007, 07:33
I'm with you on this one...
The first part that is, I WILL NOT buy a GPS from Sony...
Deniskas App has a much higher coolness factor to it.
It will be interesting to see what kind of map pgor sony releases to go along with the App.
Maybe we can use it too, you never know...
I am installing the latest version o my PSP now.
Once again...

Deniska... You rock...
I hope I don't sound like a groupie...
But this really is the best app for the PSP in my opinion.
I still would love to know how many people out there run this app....
Actually, you can buy a receiver from Sony, just not the software, they come either bundled or not bundled, and you can get just the receiver for a cool $60 bucks, and well worth it I might add. I have it and I love it! Still trying to get the maps for my area downloaded, if anyone has any ides let m know

Russoxley187
January 3rd, 2007, 11:06
Actually, you can buy a receiver from Sony, just not the software, they come either bundled or not bundled, and you can get just the receiver for a cool $60 bucks, and well worth it I might add. I have it and I love it! Still trying to get the maps for my area downloaded, if anyone has any ides let m know

Actually, after my trip to DC this weekend, I think I might buy a Sony GPS after all.
I don't live ina big city, but if I needed my GPS to be more portable the Sony option would be the way to go.
I made a 9 hr trip from the beautiful North Carolina beaches to the dirty streets of Washington DC without getting lost.
Thanks to Deniska...

in7ane
January 3rd, 2007, 14:40
Deniska, I'll take a look at wrapping up the geo stuff over the weekend hopefully. Also, does this Canadian source look similar enough to the US data to be supported: http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/index.html (as for the UK, it seems in addition to paying for it in tax the data needs to be bough as well: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ and I suspect it goes downhill from there for other countries).

Also found this for some more sample code: http://www.pagcgeo.org/

And some bug reports:

(1) Cursor note: Single cursor is included by default, rather than the once introduced double one.

(2) Distance calculation (marker + points, left top + right top keys) is wrong close to the equator (by a factor of 2 or so). I suspect you use the factor for the projection optimized (39.5?) latitude, an quick fix would be to calculate the factor on map load for the center of the map rather than the whole lat/lon to distance fix. Other distance and speed calculation also has this problem I guess.

(3) Time error, affects speed calculations? Seems to be 74 seconds/minutes rather than 60.

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/time.jpg

(4) GPS errors when maps contain -1 (or lower I guess) zoom levels.

This happens regardless of whether you are the -1 zoom level or at higher ones.

Cycles between data ok and showing arrow cursor

No data and showing out of range error

And no data without error and no arrow cursor

At all times, satellites, fix, and lat/lon headers display correctly.

Min zoom 0, showing that everything is in fact ok:

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/with_m0_min.jpg

Min zoom -1, at zoom 0, the 3 states:

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/with_m1_error.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/with_m1_no_data.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/with_m1_data_ok.jpg

Min zoom -1, at zoom -1, has the ok state too:

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/at_m1_data_ok_sometimes_too.jpg

The error seems to happen on navigating to the right location (in the screenshots I scrolled close to show that the map does contain it).

deniska
January 3rd, 2007, 18:37
in7ane, welome back!

Don't bother with the US geocoder yet. I am changing the file format to allow reverse lookup too. I'll let you know when I am done - hopefully you'll be able to add it to the windows tool (or make a separate tool)...
The map data sources you listed seem to be in different from TIGER line data format.. so for now I'd like to stick to US only data...

I'll look at the alternative geocoder code, when I have time...

about the bugs:
1) - I liked the old cursor better so I left it..
I am actually considering major graphics gui redesign in the next release so cursors may change too...
2) For distance/bearing calculation I borrowed Rick Chapman's ( [email protected]) code.
I did not really checked the math behind it since it worked close enough for my few tests.
Perhaps you (or someone else with good knowlege of geometry) can take a look at the formulas and suggest a fix. All code is in NavigateCalculations.cpp::GeoRangeAndBearing()
3) I am aware of time display error. it should not affect speed/distance calculations though..

4) can you confirm that it does not happen on "positive zoom" maps?

Anyways, thanks for the detailed buglist and suggestions...
I am glad you are still onboard :-)

in7ane
January 3rd, 2007, 21:35
Re 4) Yes, it only happens (at all zoom levels) if the map contains a negative zoom.

Except for the awkward wording above, this was to confirm that (min zoom is 0, with same area covered) - notice the zoom bar vs picture and others (I can get a video of the two cases if that helps - but should be easy to replicate):

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/errors/with_m0_min.jpg

deniska
January 5th, 2007, 06:19
I am changing the GUI a bit. It's still "work in progress"... The idea is to make it more skinnable..
Perhaps someone with more artistic talant could help me to design better panels and icons...
Here is some screenshots...

Spectreman
January 6th, 2007, 00:09
Hi Deniska.
Your V0.4 Map This is fantastic !
I recently used it over Christmas while driving over 2000 kms. Worked perfectly. Came in very handy. Only time it did not work was when the Holux GPS battery went flat !
One thing I do notice is that the overall trip distance counter resets to zero each time you re-start the app, or change maps. Would it be possible to have it save the last value, & keep adding to it, rather than resetting to zero each time. You could have a manual key press sequence to reset the trip distance when required.

My friend in Melbourne (Australia) was very impressed with your program, and he has not been a PSP fan ! He may buy one soon for this very purpose.

Cheers, Chris.

tigerjk1410
January 6th, 2007, 07:40
i had a question...now that 3.03 OE-A is out is map this compatible with this version?

i'm looking forward to usb/gps connection capability so that i can use either the sony gps or have easier connectivity with current gps antennas.

i would also like to see speech capability added in future versions.

i just recently upgraded my psp's firmware so i will be playing around with the software and order myself an antenna.

thank you for the awesome program...i will be recommending it to others.

Russoxley187
January 6th, 2007, 13:30
i had a question...now that 3.03 OE-A is out is map this compatible with this version?

i'm looking forward to usb/gps connection capability so that i can use either the sony gps or have easier connectivity with current gps antennas.

i would also like to see speech capability added in future versions.

i just recently upgraded my psp's firmware so i will be playing around with the software and order myself an antenna.

thank you for the awesome program...i will be recommending it to others.

It works...
I run it on two of my PSp's...

in7ane
January 6th, 2007, 17:00
deniska, regarding 2) the distance calculations, sorry for the erroneous report - the problem was the map (the Google road/city coverage of Africa, although nice, is at best a guess of where things are it seems :)

And a real bug: if you scroll to an area of longitude <= -100 the battery % sign gets forced off the screen (if GPS is on part of the second field does instead).

deniska
January 6th, 2007, 17:36
deniska, regarding 2) the distance calculations, sorry for the erroneous report - the problem was the map (the Google road/city coverage of Africa, although nice, is at best a guess of where things are it seems :)

And a real bug: if you scroll to an area of longitude <= -100 the battery % sign gets forced off the screen (if GPS is on part of the second field does instead).

This should not be a problem in the next release - since I am now displaying a battery icon instead of a number... Also, fixed the time display bug.. rearanged some controls, made the map cursor/map scroll faster, finished geo lookup and reverse lookup for US addresses...etc..
I'll post the newest beta version and the geotools probably tonight or tomorrow...

justcerfin
January 6th, 2007, 20:34
First off, I'd like to thank deniska, in7ane and all others who are developing this awesome tool for the psp. As a fan, and hopeful future user, I was wondering how long until the PSP GPS was ale to be implemented? maybe in the next month?, two months? I by no means am trying to be pushy, just incredibly eager to be able to use the tool myself. I already have the PSP GPS from Sony because I want to use it the day it becomes available. If there is anything that I or anyone else can do to assist let us know. I know there is a large group of people just waiting for the day the Sony GPS is supported. Thanks again for all of your guys hard work.

deniska
January 6th, 2007, 22:09
First off, I'd like to thank deniska, in7ane and all others who are developing this awesome tool for the psp. As a fan, and hopeful future user, I was wondering how long until the PSP GPS was ale to be implemented? maybe in the next month?, two months? I by no means am trying to be pushy, just incredibly eager to be able to use the tool myself. I already have the PSP GPS from Sony because I want to use it the day it becomes available. If there is anything that I or anyone else can do to assist let us know. I know there is a large group of people just waiting for the day the Sony GPS is supported. Thanks again for all of your guys hard work.

I am still waiting for may Sony GPS unit to arive..
So no work is being done by me yet... but other people have had some progress, figuring out GPS module's function calls....
You can try to check with johnmph from ps2dev.org forums as he done most of the related work...

AZImmortal
January 7th, 2007, 18:49
Hi deniska, I don't know if this has already been mentioned before anywhere else, but I've run into what seems to be two issues with Map This! 0.4 and the way it displays POIs. I've boxed the areas with the problems in my screenshot and I've attached my POI file.

1) If the POI filename contains lowercase letters, the lowercase letters won't be displayed in Map This! (the POI filename in my screenshot is "_San Diego Points of Interest").

2) The POI names are frequently truncated (the POI name in my screenshot is "Get Up & Go Welcome Center").

I use Google Maps Download 0.4.0b to create my POI files. Thanks a lot for creating this great program. :D

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/148/poibug2xg3.jpg

deniska
January 7th, 2007, 21:21
this should not be an issue in the next release...

AZImmortal
January 7th, 2007, 22:56
this should not be an issue in the next release...
That sounds great. Do you have an estimate as to when the next release will be ready? I'm taking a trip in a few weeks and the current version is confusing my girlfriend (who's also my navigator :p ).

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 04:50
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/mapthis0460.jpg
CHANGES
-----------

- address lookup for US addresses (via TIGER line data)
- reverse lookup (shows the closest known house numbers or intersections)
- new logo, startup screen, wallpaper (contributed by DaxDce)
- re-designed interface: new fonts, menus, some layout changes, more skinable data panels, battery & signal icons, etc..
- some bug fixes: clock desplay, POI layout problem, etc.
- bundled with small NYC map and corresponding geodata file. (~1Mb)

Creation of US geodata file:
I provided a set of scripts & programs (all with sources) to get the Tiger Line data from US Census Bureau. They have been tested under cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) (http://www.cygwin.com%29)...
Perhaps someone (in7ane?) could convert that code in to some kind of GUI program.

To generate the geodata file for a state do following:
1) copy geocoder folder to your cygwin home directory
2) navigate to that folder (using cd command) under cygwin prompt.
3)run following command:
./geo-map.sh [2-letter state abbreviation in capitals]
Example: ./geo-map.sh NY
4) wait for a few hours while it creates geodata.dat file
5) copy geodata.dat file to your map's folder.

Some notes:
-Some code and ideas were borrowed from Dan Egnor's geocoder (http://ofb.net/~egnor/google.html (http://ofb.net/%7Eegnor/google.html)) but the data was rearranged and compressed to allow reverse geocoding and ~3x smaller resulting file.

- Intergrity of comressed data in geodata.dat file can be cheked with decompr comand:
./decompr deodata.dat [zipcode]
This should extract all the geo entries for a given zipcode (useful for troubleshooting)
- With some minor alteratoins the script can be used to produce geodata file for any given area (from few zipcodes to few states)
I attached the county codes file for easy reference to tiger line data.
Perhaps a reference file, listing min/max GPS coordinates for each county could be created. The program then would compare the map's lon/lat span with those coordinates to extract a set of counties corresponding to that map and process only these counties.

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/MapThis_0460.zip

trey99
January 8th, 2007, 07:47
Love the new Beta with new Interface. Layout looks sharper and much more intuitive. Thanks for all of your incredibly great work! Do you usually release the source code to your betas or only major builds?

mr-flibble
January 8th, 2007, 08:19
Great job with the new release! But since it's still beta I've got a few things to bring up.

Bug still exists that was mentioned before where if you turn off your psp and on again, a blank grid is shown for other zoom levels and it freezes on exit. Only occurs on GPSFS maps, Nx picture file maps are not affected. Running firmware 3.03OE-a.

Start button menu has issue where selections scroll too fast, a small delay should be incorporated so you don't skip selections so quickly. CPU clock speed may be a factor.

I'm sure you know about this already but the GPS serial feed cuts out after a power off-on cycle. Is this a limitation of the hardware/firmware or something you think you can work around? I know the serial port is a bit finicky to initialize and stuff but with custom firmwares I wonder if it can be activated continuously which would certainly help with homebrew hardware development.

Bit sad about the satellite data (number visible, data good/bad, etc.) disappearing. I guess not everyone likes the clutter but maybe it could be enabled or disabled in the config file?

That's all I can think of for now, keep up the great work! This is by far my favourite and most used homebrew program.

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 14:20
Love the new Beta with new Interface. Layout looks sharper and much more intuitive. Thanks for all of your incredibly great work! Do you usually release the source code to your betas or only major builds?
I can post the source if anyone needs it...

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 14:32
Great job with the new release! But since it's still beta I've got a few things to bring up.

Bug still exists that was mentioned before where if you turn off your psp and on again, a blank grid is shown for other zoom levels and it freezes on exit. Only occurs on GPSFS maps, Nx picture file maps are not affected. Running firmware 3.03OE-a.

Start button menu has issue where selections scroll too fast, a small delay should be incorporated so you don't skip selections so quickly. CPU clock speed may be a factor.

I'm sure you know about this already but the GPS serial feed cuts out after a power off-on cycle. Is this a limitation of the hardware/firmware or something you think you can work around? I know the serial port is a bit finicky to initialize and stuff but with custom firmwares I wonder if it can be activated continuously which would certainly help with homebrew hardware development.

Bit sad about the satellite data (number visible, data good/bad, etc.) disappearing. I guess not everyone likes the clutter but maybe it could be enabled or disabled in the config file?

That's all I can think of for now, keep up the great work! This is by far my favourite and most used homebrew program.

Powering PSP off seems to kill the auxiliary threads, responsible for managing the tiles (thus blank maps)
and unload the modules, required for serial comm..
I am sure this all can somehow be coded around, it's just I did not have time to look in to this issue..
For now, i suggest that you don't power down your PSP while using the program (some data file corruption may occur)

You can still figure out the number of satellites by looking at the signal icon.
1 green bar - corresponds to 3 good satellites, 2 bars to 4.. etc
8 or more satellites would show 6 bars...

kididio
January 8th, 2007, 14:53
hm, is it a bug or not, can you build in a check if an gps device is connectet or not, then when you put on gps mode and nor gpsdev is connectet the prog hangs just up in a location out of range screen...
Poi´s now work fine :) Scroll speed is just amazing, but in the "start" menu, the button delay to choose an option is very fast.

Will the geo lookup work in europ to ?

I like the redisign too, very nice.
And, eventually can you made an language file, which holds all the dialogs, so we can make different languages in future?

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 15:18
Are you sure you are not reading gps data from a file? (check you config.txt)

I'll fix the menu speed...
geolookup is based on TIGER line data from US Census bureau.. They only have data for USA..
I am not aware of any free source of this kind of information for the entire Europe.. so the short answer is no.. Perhaps in the future we could work something out for some european countries if some reliable data sources are found..

RomComZom
January 8th, 2007, 15:35
Hey all, i was just wondering if it was a bug or supposed to be lik ethis, but when i have a POI on screen and I move the cursor around, the POI disappears, then comes back when the cursor stops.

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 16:54
It's not a bug... Actually, the idea was borrowed from Maplus software. It speeds up the map scroll, especially when there are alot of POIs displayed...
and you can still see the streets you are moving to even if they are clottered upwith POIs

RomComZom
January 8th, 2007, 17:44
Ahh..thanks for the clearification, also..should have stated this earlier, but it just reminded me, the same thing happens whne i have the increments setup as well..im guessing its for the same as the map scroll speeds?

AZImmortal
January 8th, 2007, 17:45
It's not a bug... Actually, the idea was borrowed from Maplus software. It speeds up the map scroll, especially when there are alot of POIs displayed...
and you can still see the streets you are moving to even if they are clottered upwith POIs
Thanks for the update deniska. Would it be possible to implement a toggle for this behavior between the old way and the new way? I can see the benefits of both. Also, do the POIs disappear while on the move in GPS mode? I still have to make my cable so I can't test it myself.

On a side note, can anyone create a mini tutorial on how to get the geodata script working when starting from scratch with Cygwin? I've installed Cygwin and changed to the geocoder directory (placed in the Cygwin directory), but when I run the command, I get some kind of error about temp folders (I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact wording of the error).

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 18:11
Thanks for the update deniska. Would it be possible to implement a toggle for this behavior between the old way and the new way? I can see the benefits of both. Also, do the POIs disappear while on the move in GPS mode? I still have to make my cable so I can't test it myself.

On a side note, can anyone create a mini tutorial on how to get the geodata script working when starting from scratch with Cygwin? I've installed Cygwin and changed to the geocoder directory (placed in the Cygwin directory), but when I run the command, I get some kind of error about temp folders (I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact wording of the error).

I'll think about the toggle...
POIs don't dissapear in GPS mode... you can give it a test running the "FAKEFEED" data, supplied with NYC map...
As to cygwin.. chances are - some of the required components are not installed in your setup...
Check your error messages - see what it complains about and add it to the installation...

kididio
January 8th, 2007, 20:40
Sry, the fault with the out of range screen was my failure 8) forgott to edit the config, you´r right.

Can´t we extract the geodata from existing map-material or is this not possible, there are no standards? i´ve some tomtom maps from europe, someone must only decrypt 'this' file container, i work a bit on it with some study partners wich are in the ban of mapthis to ;) thats a sooo great project, we must help anybody who work on it...

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 21:04
Here is the most recent source code, since people requested it...
It's a bit messy though...

deniska
January 8th, 2007, 21:13
Sry, the fault with the out of range screen was my failure 8) forgott to edit the config, you´r right.

Can´t we extract the geodata from existing map-material or is this not possible, there are no standards? i´ve some tomtom maps from europe, someone must only decrypt 'this' file container, i work a bit on it with some study partners wich are in the ban of mapthis to ;) thats a sooo great project, we must help anybody who work on it...

I would prefer to stick to free/legal map data sources.. but again if you have any knowlege on how to extract geodata from tomtom maps I am willing look in to it... (I need real solutions though)

kididio
January 9th, 2007, 00:08
i know what you u mean, and i see it from this site, i´ve bought the maps, an then i can do what i what with, like an reallife print map ;) , i know it is´nt right.

And, who will thread us? The geodata can come from elsewere. Tell me if i´am wrong.

will post a solutuion if i found one.

deniska, when you want can i send you the "interesting" data.

AZImmortal
January 9th, 2007, 00:09
I'll think about the toggle...
POIs don't dissapear in GPS mode... you can give it a test running the "FAKEFEED" data, supplied with NYC map...
As to cygwin.. chances are - some of the required components are not installed in your setup...
Check your error messages - see what it complains about and add it to the installation...
As far as I can tell, the error msgs aren't asking about adding components. This is what I get after entering the command:

$ ./geo-map.sh ca
rm: cannot remove `temp': No such file or directory
./geo-map.sh: line 10: wget: command not found
Extracting tiger data 15:53:15
find: ./temp: No such file or directory
\nCreating zip files...
cat: ./tmp.3016/*.step1: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `./tmp.3016/*.step1': No such file or directory

deniska
January 9th, 2007, 02:08
install wget

AZImmortal
January 9th, 2007, 04:22
Thanks deniska, I suspected that was the problem shortly after I made my post. I've installed wget and now it's downloading away!

Edit: Are there any other necessary components in order to use this script? I installed the zip component hoping it would fix the following error msg, but I guess it wasn't enough:

FINISHED --22:34:30--
Downloaded: 326,310,810 bytes in 65 files
Extracting tiger data 22:34:31
\nCreating zip files...
cat: ./tmp.2800/*.step1: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `./tmp.2800/*.step1': No such file or directory

Edit 2: After installing every component for Cygwin, I still get the error above. :(

Russoxley187
January 9th, 2007, 11:21
The guy from china finally emailed me back about the premade cables...
Here is the info...

"Dear Sir,

GeoPSP cable buyer guide abvailable now!

http://www.moby.cn/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6

you can pay total expense(cable + shipping) by paypal: [email protected]
shipping cost from china to USA is about 25 USD.
cable price:
1-9 items, 14.99 USD / each cable
>=10 items, 9.99 USD / each cable

after payment, we will sent it ASAP by worldwide express mail service (EMS).

Good news is that USA local shipping will be available soon, if you wish to wait a few days.

for detail information, visit www.moby.cn/bbs/ or send email to [email protected]

thks,

gpsper"

Just wanted to let everyone know....

deniska
January 9th, 2007, 15:29
Thanks deniska, I suspected that was the problem shortly after I made my post. I've installed wget and now it's downloading away!

Edit: Are there any other necessary components in order to use this script? I installed the zip component hoping it would fix the following error msg, but I guess it wasn't enough:

Edit 2: After installing every component for Cygwin, I still get the error above. :(
Make sure you pass capital letters in state abreviation ("CA" and not "ca")

check if "cat" is installed in your sygwin setup

AZImmortal
January 9th, 2007, 20:59
Make sure you pass capital letters in state abreviation ("CA" and not "ca")

check if "cat" is installed in your sygwin setup
The error msg is actually after I've already downloaded the census files. I fixed the CA/ca issue and after it downloads the files, it gives the error I quoted. I'm at work right now but I'll check on "cat" when I get home. I'm pretty sure I selected every single component in the Cygwin install though.

deniska
January 9th, 2007, 21:44
check if you actually have downloeaded the file with
find . -name '*.ZIP'

AZImmortal
January 10th, 2007, 00:35
I have cat.exe in my /cygwin/bin/ folder. I'm assuming that's the "cat" you're referring to?

jolum
January 10th, 2007, 04:07
Hello! Deniska, I have a question I have bought the sony gps for my psp, I live in Mexico and I would like to create a map for mexico city, but I have installed de version 3.03 in my psp, could you help me out, I am a beginner in installing things in my psp, thank you very much.

Psyberjock
January 10th, 2007, 06:07
Hello! Deniska, I have a question I have bought the sony gps for my psp, I live in Mexico and I would like to create a map for mexico city, but I have installed de version 3.03 in my psp, could you help me out, I am a beginner in installing things in my psp, thank you very much.

Tiene 3.03 o 3.03 OE? Hay una diferencia. 3.03 es de Sony y 3.03 OE es el "nuevo" de Dark_Alex. Si tiene 3.03 no puede usar homebrew y no puede instalar 3.03 OE. Si tiene 3.03 OE, necesita esperar por la nueva version de MapThis. Todavia no hay la abilidad de utilizar la USB GPS de Sony en MapThis. Tal vez esto mes encontremos la nueva version. Deniska todavia no ha recibido su USB GPS en el correo.

Pisuke
January 10th, 2007, 09:15
Olé!

in7ane
January 10th, 2007, 14:05
deniska, great work with the geodata, and a very nice GUI improvement.

I don’t think I’ll get the wrapped up geodata app out very quickly (I want to go through the code and see what all of it does so that I can have other sources – the Canadian one mainly). But as the TIGER data is free – it may be an idea to just create all the state files and post them? Also, if a single file for the whole of the US is created – how bad will the performance be in your opinion (it’ll take quite a while to create as well I imagine)?

For the time being, a vapourware screen: http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/screens/geodata1.png

And a quick request – could the maps and poi menus be alphabetically sorted?

deniska
January 10th, 2007, 14:43
deniska, great work with the geodata, and a very nice GUI improvement.

I don’t think I’ll get the wrapped up geodata app out very quickly (I want to go through the code and see what all of it does so that I can have other sources – the Canadian one mainly). But as the TIGER data is free – it may be an idea to just create all the state files and post them? Also, if a single file for the whole of the US is created – how bad will the performance be in your opinion (it’ll take quite a while to create as well I imagine)?

For the time being, a vapourware screen: http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/screens/geodata1.png

And a quick request – could the maps and poi menus be alphabetically sorted?

About the large geodata files - -in my estimate, the data for entire US will take up ~600-800MB, so it may be too much for most memory sticks out there...
Performance will degrade pretty fast with file size, especially noticable for reverse geolookup, since I'll have to go through ~45000 zipcodes (worst case scenario) and figure out the closest ones to current gps location...

If someone has a reliable webserver with ~800Mb to donate for this - then we could pre-process all US data and zip in numerous files - 1zip per county.
You application would figure out which counties to get, by comparing map's span with county limits lookup file (which could be generated easily once all county data is processed). Once all county files are downloaded, you'll have to unzip them and re-package them with pretty simple algorithm given in compr.c (somewhat similar to gpsfs)...

RomComZom
January 10th, 2007, 15:20
is there a way to get a full map of one state without having to do it piece by piece? I've been looking for another way, but just cant figure it out. I have a 1gb mem stick so I have some room.

in7ane
January 10th, 2007, 15:44
deniska, the preprocessing setup sounds good - then have a torrent of the whole lot (so people who make a lot of maps can reduce the traffic load) and the individual files I'll put up on .mac (and get another 1 GB of storage and extra 15GB/month traffic to see how it goes, and 250GB/month if it ends up being popular) and have them automatically downloaded and packaged from there for individual maps.

Let me know if you can process all of them and generate the county limits lookup file. In the meantime could you give me a sample with a few county files separately and then them packaged together (running stuff under Cygwin is not my strong point).

G4T5UG4
January 10th, 2007, 21:24
hello all, my friend just came back from japan and gave me the gps for the psp as a gift. i knew it wasnt going to work but i acceped it anyway as most of us would. my question is will anyone ever make a homebrew to use it in north america or have already? any links or news would b great,thanx
deniska is a beast btw. great app man

deniska
January 10th, 2007, 22:10
johnmph,psyberjock and myself are making some progress with PSP-290 API calls, so stay tuned..
There is more info available @ ps2dev.org forums..

G4T5UG4
January 10th, 2007, 22:12
thanks man. if you need it i can b a north america beta tester. lol

jolum
January 10th, 2007, 23:07
wow thank you! your spanish rules! :thumbup: what do I have to do to install de 3.03 oe? I have the 3.03 sony's.

emulating_you
January 11th, 2007, 01:13
where do i get the canada map for map this and hooking up the slim240 is the same way as the bigger version right??

Great job!!!

Psyberjock
January 11th, 2007, 01:32
wow thank you! your spanish rules! :thumbup: what do I have to do to install de 3.03 oe? I have the 3.03 sony's.

3.03 de Sony = esperar. Ya no puede utilizar nada sin UMDs. Pero no seinstalar mas las otras versiones de firmware. Si espera bastante, estara una solucion.

nsx2drift
January 11th, 2007, 01:53
Deniska, I have some webspace/bandwidth to donate for the prepared geodata.

deniska
January 11th, 2007, 02:47
cool, PM me the info on how to deliver it to you...
Perhaps an ftp upload (with login)?

Spectreman
January 11th, 2007, 03:04
Hi Deniska.
Have tested out your latest Beta release.
The new layout & GUI is great - data panel is much clearer & easier to read - very good.
However, I have noticed 2 bugs (I am using 2.71 SE-B by the way):
- The trip timer comes up with a value of -1874 (or something like that) when starting the program - way out of wack.
- The average speed indicator is not working at all now.

Otherwise, everything else is fine.

Cheers, Chris.

deniska
January 11th, 2007, 05:46
I put together a small program which illustrates how to retrieve GPS data from psp-290 GPS receiver...
The program is greatly influenced by research and hacking done by johnmph and psyberjock from ps2dev forums (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=49724)
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/screen1.jpg

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/usbgps.rar (copy the link in to the browser window)

Basically, the date/time fields seem to be stored in 2-byte shorts bytes 0-12
Latitude, Longitude and Altitude stored in 4-byte floats starting @ byte 24
The speed& bearing (also floats) seem to be located @ bytes :40,44..
Azimuth is also a short, while other sat info seems to be stored in single bytes...
The only problem for me so far is that the longitudecomes out as positive 355.**** instead of -74.**** which is supposed to be around my area...
Perhaps some byte order is screwed up.. Could someone take alook?

The program requires usbgps.prx & usbacc.prx to be copied in to
ms0:/camprx directory and must be run under 2.71+ kernel (I tested it with 3.02 OE-A with 2.71 fw prx modules for usbgps)
It also dumps the data from both data buffers [48 & 160 bytes per cycle] in to test.dat file in the camprx dir.
viewer.c contains some code to parse the test data file for those who wants to dig in to this issue...

Russoxley187
January 11th, 2007, 07:48
I have plenty of space too, if you need it.
Let me know

deniska
January 11th, 2007, 14:28
I have cat.exe in my /cygwin/bin/ folder. I'm assuming that's the "cat" you're referring to?

For those who are trying to run the cygwin geodata scripts - there is a bug in geo-map.sh

Edit the file. Change line 16 from:
find ./temp -name '*36065.ZIP'| { while read zip; do

to

find ./temp -name '*.ZIP'| { while read zip; do

TheWanderer
January 11th, 2007, 16:04
Was playing with this last night to no avail...but I am running 3.03 oe...

I'm thinking I may need to put the files in a 'GAME150' folder, ie. PSP/GAME150 ?

I'll try that tonight...

Got my genuine PSP GPS yesterday too...man that thing is tiny!

deniska
January 11th, 2007, 16:23
Was playing with this last night to no avail...but I am running 3.03 oe...

I'm thinking I may need to put the files in a 'GAME150' folder, ie. PSP/GAME150 ?

I'll try that tonight...

Got my genuine PSP GPS yesterday too...man that thing is tiny!
run in under 3.02 kernel.. ie put it in GAME302 (or whatever it's called... use 2.71 prx modules for usbgps & usbacc

TheWanderer
January 11th, 2007, 18:55
Hmmm...OK...I'm at work right now, so I can try this later...so:

The 'mapthis' files go to the GAME302 folder & the 'usbgps.prx & usbacc.prx' go under which folder? GAME271?

deniska
January 11th, 2007, 18:56
deniska, the preprocessing setup sounds good - then have a torrent of the whole lot (so people who make a lot of maps can reduce the traffic load) and the individual files I'll put up on .mac (and get another 1 GB of storage and extra 15GB/month traffic to see how it goes, and 250GB/month if it ends up being popular) and have them automatically downloaded and packaged from there for individual maps.

Let me know if you can process all of them and generate the county limits lookup file. In the meantime could you give me a sample with a few county files separately and then them packaged together (running stuff under Cygwin is not my strong point).

Processing seems to take a lot of time (~4 hours for 1 state) so I may need some help.. or it's gonna take some time to complete...

For now, I dumped a few processed county files here:
http://glockdancers.com/mapthis/

The boundry lookup file will look something like following:

36001,-74263978+42408347,-73680062+42819977
36003,-78309280+41998386,-77724801+42521658
36005,-73932213+40797995,-73781458+40912978
36007,-76129742+41997837,-75362599+42415484
36009,-79061271+41999239,-78308161+42533515
36011,-76736701+42618903,-76265611+43413902
36013,-79762144+41998292,-79059231+42569354
36015,-76965986+42000688,-76537438+42294387
36017,-75886765+42194990,-75296533+42744192
36019,-74022779+44438450,-73352603+45009862
36021,-73908313+41980556,-73362064+42507634

Format: [county code], [minlon+minlat],[maxlon+maxlat]
You'll have to divide values by 1,000,000 to get the correct coordinate values...

So, your application would go through the lookup file, pick and download the counties that match your map's coordinates, unzip the zipcodes in to some directory and then compress them back with algorithm, given in compr.c program, generating geodata.dat file...

NOTE:
In theory, 2 or more counties can share area with same zipcode(s), ie you may get the same zipcode filename in 2 different county zipfiles. In this case you'll have to merge the zipcode files with a same name and sort the data inside of them alphabetically by street name.

Let me know if you have any questions abou it..

WiCk3dNo0bY
January 11th, 2007, 22:44
Can someone try to transelate all in german the readme and how to install...???

PLS

TheWanderer
January 11th, 2007, 23:46
Awesome! Just got the mapview working on 3.03 OE-A

There's a couple tricks to it:

Copy the 1.5 files into a created folder named 'GAME150'

Next, in the MAPS folder, once you've created your map with In7sanes map creator, create a folder '_MAP (whatever you named it)' & copy over ONLY the 16x, 8x, etc files.

That's it!

Can't wait for the PSP GPS function to work!

Thanks everyone!

WiCk3dNo0bY
January 12th, 2007, 00:31
okay THX,

but what do you think when the original version comes out?

And have i to cut the cable für the gps or can i buy one what is finished?

TheWanderer
January 12th, 2007, 01:57
WiCk3dNo0bY:

Alle kann ich Ihnen erklären, im Augenblick, daß ich den Diagrammprojektor habe auf, oe-a 3.03 zu arbeiten, ich warte bin, daß die Jungen darstellen aus, wie man es erhält, um den echten Sony PSP GPS verbunden zuSEIN.

All I can tell you right now is that I have the map viewer working on 3.03 oe-a, I am waiting for the boys to figure out how to get it to communicate with the Genuine Sony PSP GPS.

AZImmortal
January 12th, 2007, 07:46
For those who are trying to run the cygwin geodata scripts - there is a bug in geo-map.sh

Edit the file. Change line 16 from:
find ./temp -name '*36065.ZIP'| { while read zip; do

to

find ./temp -name '*.ZIP'| { while read zip; do

I'm trying the revised script now.

Psyberjock
January 12th, 2007, 08:26
Hmmm...OK...I'm at work right now, so I can try this later...so:

The 'mapthis' files go to the GAME302 folder & the 'usbgps.prx & usbacc.prx' go under which folder? GAME271?

I don't think MapThis goes under GAME302, unless I missed something.

The new USB GPS viewer goes under GAME302. The usbgps.prx and usbacc.prx go under "ms0:/camprx/".

WiCk3dNo0bY
January 12th, 2007, 12:45
WiCk3dNo0bY:

Alle kann ich Ihnen erklären, im Augenblick, daß ich den Diagrammprojektor habe auf, oe-a 3.03 zu arbeiten, ich warte bin, daß die Jungen darstellen aus, wie man es erhält, um den echten Sony PSP GPS verbunden zuSEIN.

All I can tell you right now is that I have the map viewer working on 3.03 oe-a, I am waiting for the boys to figure out how to get it to communicate with the Genuine Sony PSP GPS.

Also können sie es mir erklären wie ich es machen muss und haben sie schon das programm oder ist es in der entwicklung?

Und wissen sie schon wann ein gps empfänger speziel für die psp herauskommen wird?

MFG

TheWanderer
January 12th, 2007, 14:59
Also können sie es mir erklären wie ich es machen muss und haben sie schon das programm oder ist es in der entwicklung?

Und wissen sie schon wann ein gps empfänger speziel für die psp herauskommen wird?

(Thus can they explain it to me like I it to make must and have them already the program or are it in the development? And do they know when a government inspection department receiver speziel for psp will already come out?)

MFG

Das Programm für Gebrauch mit dem geniune Sony gps Empfänger ist noch in Bewegung. Sie sind in Asien, ich kauften meine auf Ebay von Hong-Kong nur vorhanden, angekommen in sieben Tagen.

(The program for use with the geniune sony gps receiver is still in progress.

They are only available in Asia, I bought mine on Ebay from Hong Kong, arrived in seven days.)

gr42178
January 12th, 2007, 19:22
This looks great I will have to try it when I get home from work.

spaminator
January 13th, 2007, 03:47
So basically this will not work with 3.03 firmware? (according to the spanish speaking guy...I had a freind translate lol)

I installed it and I get the logo and background to come up but it says its corrupted.

I don't feel comfortable installing a homebrew firmware. Is the next update going to be able to support 3.03?

Also some more detailed instructions on how to install the map files and how to use windows downloader. I can get it to work but I don't know where to put the files it downloads. Nowhere in any of the instructions (.txt's/wikki-book etc) does it specify.

PLEASE DUMB IT DOWN FOR US NOOBS :confused:

jolum
January 13th, 2007, 07:13
Please make this program for the sony's 3.03 and dumb it for us please! :D I study medicine I do not understand most part of what Deniska and the other 2 musketeers psps :p

wolfixx
January 13th, 2007, 07:52
Hello,

Is it possible the convert PDF files (with an image in it) like The Sydney Busses Map to a Map for This Map?
http://www.sydneybuses.info/commonpdfs/sydneybuses/map/regionmaps/southern_region_guide.pdf
If possible to convert, where must I configure the coordinates?

Thanks in advance
Wolfixx

TheWanderer
January 13th, 2007, 15:48
So, I've got the viewer working on 3.03 OE-A & am waiting patiently for the PSP GPS compatibility...

But I still have a question, I can not get the POIs to work?

Also, if I create a map that has a route (when you ask google for directions it highlights it in blue) is it possible to download it with that same highlight?

deniska
January 14th, 2007, 00:58
Hello,

Is it possible the convert PDF files (with an image in it) like The Sydney Busses Map to a Map for This Map?
http://www.sydneybuses.info/commonpdfs/sydneybuses/map/regionmaps/southern_region_guide.pdf
If possible to convert, where must I configure the coordinates?

Thanks in advance
Wolfixx

You can probably find software to convert your PDF doc to a large image. then you can us the windows tool by insane to produce a MapThis compatible map... but you will not be able to use the GPS feature with your map unless you'll find a way to match it to gogle map's projection..

deniska
January 14th, 2007, 01:02
Please make this program for the sony's 3.03 and dumb it for us please! :D I study medicine I do not understand most part of what Deniska and the other 2 musketeers psps :p
If you are ruinning the custom 3.03 FW by DarkAlex then there should not me any problems runnimg MapThis! Overwise, I don't think you can run any homebrew.. so you are out of luck untill they find a new hole in the latest firmware...

Psyberjock
January 14th, 2007, 01:50
So basically this will not work with 3.03 firmware? (according to the spanish speaking guy...I had a freind translate lol)

I installed it and I get the logo and background to come up but it says its corrupted.

I don't feel comfortable installing a homebrew firmware. Is the next update going to be able to support 3.03?

Also some more detailed instructions on how to install the map files and how to use windows downloader. I can get it to work but I don't know where to put the files it downloads. Nowhere in any of the instructions (.txt's/wikki-book etc) does it specify.

PLEASE DUMB IT DOWN FOR US NOOBS :confused:

Here's the breakdown:

1) Only certain firmware versions will play homebrew software.

2) Sony does NOT want you to play homebrew software, so they are constantly releasing new firmware that will STOP you from using homebrew software.

3) PSP users DO want to use homebrew software and are trying to hack/crack the firmware that Sony releases.

4) If you have a hacked/cracked firmware you CAN play homebrew.

5) If you have a firmware that has not been hacked/cracked yet, you CANNOT.

6) HACKED/CRACKED firmware: 1.0, 1.50, 2.0, 2.5, 2.6, 2.71, 2.80.

7) NOT hacked NOR cracked firmware: 2.81, 2.82, 3.00, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03.

8) Beyond the firmware there is an issue with the physical parts of the PSP. Primarily the motherboard.

9) If your mother board is a TA-79 or TA-81, you CAN downgrade (or use custom firmware on) the firmwares that HAVE been hacked/cracked.

10) If your motherboard is a TA-82 through TA-86 you CAN downgrade if you have firmware 2.71 or 2.80 ONLY.

If you need info on how to find out if your motherboard is a TA-82+, try searching.

Now for the summary:

Up to now, SONY FIRMWARE 2.81, 2.82, 3.00, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03 can ONLY use UMDs. (not counting official sony demos)

Lord Kung
January 14th, 2007, 02:44
I’ve been following this brilliant work from the beginning. So I finally got my psp down to 1.5 and everything looks good. I downloaded a Google Miami area map, and I would like to ask (know) if there is a place to download a Florida map, like other states maps posted here (all.map.STATE NAME.zip)

Thanks Deniska what you do :thumbup:

Lord Kung

yoshikoshy
January 14th, 2007, 16:53
Hey Deniska, I'm kinda confused about the geodata concept. I followed ur directions, but after I get up 2 the folder using command prompt, I dont know how to open the file. Can u please help me?

slamer687
January 14th, 2007, 17:00
here
use note pad and erase the numbers on line 16 something.zip
save it
then open up cygwin
go to the directory of the edited geo-map.sh
type od -c geo-map.sj
look for /r's
if you can find any, these are cartridge returns that occur when you use a windows editor on a linux script
to get rid of these type dos2unix
now type in ./geo-map.sh (state)
and you're done

bigsness
January 15th, 2007, 20:48
I have the Map This! software on my PSP with geodata.dat and Map created.

Today I tested out the cable and GPSlim 236 and I can receive data when I run the test program with the green screen (BTW is there a way to get out of that without turning off the PSPS?)

But when I load up Map This I can not get a signal, at least the "bars" that show satellites are not lighting up. Any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks.

spaminator
January 15th, 2007, 23:46
Psyberjock THANKS!!!

That's exactly what I needed to know!

How long does it usually take for new craxx to come out? Like every couple of months or so? I am really looking forward to Mapthis!

I know Sony is anti-fun. I know all about their scams w/ viruses on CD's and EULA violations and the like.

This is my first foray into any Sony mod. So I'm still learning.

Thanks again!

bigsness
January 16th, 2007, 04:29

Today I tested out the cable and GPSlim 236 and I can receive data when I run the test program with the green screen (BTW is there a way to get out of that without turning off the PSPS?)

But when I load up Map This I can not get a signal, at least the "bars" that show satellites are not lighting up. Any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks.

Ok I got it working by changing the READTIME=1 to READTIME=4. How much does this affect performance? I assume the higher the number performance should lessen? Any incite would be great, thanks.

slamer687
January 16th, 2007, 04:50
hey bigsness
you have the geodata?
anychance that you could make a CA one?
my cygwin is acting up again...:(

knightrider
January 16th, 2007, 05:25
when im running the geocoder, during the compression part, i keep getting the error

size missmatch: 7081 vs 7080

i have tried deleting the file that it happens on, but its random and happens everytime on different zipcodes.

BaDaPpLe
January 16th, 2007, 05:27
Could somone plz make me one its the smallest state :) Im sorry to ask but I cant get wget installed and working properly..

Thanxs again

bigsness
January 16th, 2007, 05:28
hey bigsness
you have the geodata?
anychance that you could make a CA one?
my cygwin is acting up again...:(

Sure, I'll have it done sometime tomorrow evening.

Psyberjock
January 16th, 2007, 07:32
Psyberjock THANKS!!!

That's exactly what I needed to know!

How long does it usually take for new craxx to come out? Like every couple of months or so? I am really looking forward to Mapthis!

I know Sony is anti-fun. I know all about their scams w/ viruses on CD's and EULA violations and the like.

This is my first foray into any Sony mod. So I'm still learning.

Thanks again!

There's no countdown clock for new hacks unfortunately. It happens whenever someone figures out how. It took a long time between 2.0 and 2.5. It may take a long time between 2.8 and any of the 3.XXs. You'll just have to be patient.

slamer687
January 16th, 2007, 15:51
Thanks. I owe ya two
My geodatas are all different sizes and kept coming up with a message that said there was no data for this area, no matter where i went.

slamer687
January 16th, 2007, 16:09

Thanks.
Make sure your wlan switch is in btm position.
The GPS needs a 60 second ( about ) cold warmup time

If i think of anything else ill post :thumbup:

bigsness
January 16th, 2007, 16:46
Make sure your wlan switch is in btm position.
The GPS needs a 60 second ( about ) cold warmup time

If i think of anything else ill post :thumbup:

It turns out I had to adjust the READTIME, I have it now set to 2 and its working great. The CA geodata was almost done this morning but since I'm at work I won't be able to get it uploaded till this evening.

Lord Kung
January 16th, 2007, 18:46
I’ve been following this brilliant work from the beginning. So I finally got my psp down to 1.5 and everything looks good. I downloaded a Google Miami area map, and I would like to ask (know) if there is a place to download a Florida map, like other states maps posted here (all.map.STATE NAME.zip)

Thanks Deniska what you do :thumbup:

Lord Kung
Ok… so no one cared to comment on my first post. Maybe (this) my second post will be of some help for the developer(s):
I’ve been testing with v0.4.60 Beta and after creating some POI and verifying my geodata.dat, my system crashed – frozen - after doing an address lookup. The address lookup failed 3 or 4 times with ‘no matches found’ type message (even though it showed up on my geodata.dat zip code decompression). After this error I had to remove the battery to restart the psp. My map folder got corrupted, but I was able to open the map again from MapThis!. No access to the folder in any other way though. Finally I had to format my MS. No big deal, I use this MS for testing only. Just to let you all know.

deniska
January 16th, 2007, 23:23
Ok… so no one cared to comment on my first post. Maybe (this) my second post will be of some help for the developer(s):
I’ve been testing with v0.4.60 Beta and after creating some POI and verifying my geodata.dat, my system crashed – frozen - after doing an address lookup. The address lookup failed 3 or 4 times with ‘no matches found’ type message (even though it showed up on my geodata.dat zip code decompression). After this error I had to remove the battery to restart the psp. My map folder got corrupted, but I was able to open the map again from MapThis!. No access to the folder in any other way though. Finally I had to format my MS. No big deal, I use this MS for testing only. Just to let you all know.

Thank you for the coments...
Sorry for MS corrupotion problems...
But if you want me to troubleshoot this problem, you'll need to post more info... your geodata.dat file, exact queries you made, map span..
Perhaps, your map coordinates don't correlate to geodata span... whatever it is, I'll need more info in order to investigate it...

wbrod
January 17th, 2007, 00:22
I have just 1 question, i installed everything fine, my question is how can i download a map like the one that comes in the folder (new york city manhattan) with the geodata.dat and all the poi. because i downloaded another map, i can search the map it ok but i get an error when i try to search for an address. maybe is because of the geodata.dat.
Thanks in advance....

knightrider
January 17th, 2007, 00:30
i for the life of me cannot get the geodata file created, i cannot get past the compression part, i keep getting size missmatch errors. i have run it all the way through, but it always comes up with a size missmatch on a different zipcode everytime it does the compression. some one help please

bigsness
January 17th, 2007, 01:37
i for the life of me cannot get the geodata file created, i cannot get past the compression part, i keep getting size missmatch errors. i have run it all the way through, but it always comes up with a size missmatch on a different zipcode everytime it does the compression. some one help please

What state?

slamer687
January 17th, 2007, 03:33
evening?
wow thanks...
faster than my connection speed
thanks bigsness :D

knightrider
January 17th, 2007, 05:03
im trying to get California

BaDaPpLe
January 17th, 2007, 05:07
Sorry to beg still looking for a geodata file for R.I. Pretty Plz....

deniska
January 17th, 2007, 05:56
Guys,
in7ane & I are trying to work out a windows based gui tool, which would simplify the process of getting the geodata...so please be patient...
For now, I am going to disregard all "make me geodata file" requests and concentrate on more important things...
Of, course, if anyone else, wants to generate geodata files for all states and host them somethere - please do so, by all means...

califrag
January 17th, 2007, 08:14
Sorry to beg still looking for a geodata file for R.I. Pretty Plz....

here

Rhode Island geodata.dat file... should work AFAIK... Please let me know

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UJEEW8FY

if you didnt live in such a small state i wouldn't have done it.. now no more begging!! ;P

califrag
January 17th, 2007, 11:29

here you go... california got it working last night and tested some of the stuff seems to work!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NLCF7TD9

let me know! thanks! I also have a very large (550+meg) map of all LA and OC area pretty much from Malibu to Oceanside on all the way in to Santa Ana (a little farther)

slamer687
January 17th, 2007, 15:41
we understand deniska :D
three cheers for califrag and bigsness

bigsness
January 17th, 2007, 16:37
I currently have Cali, NY and Indiana created if anyone needs it ( haven't had a chance to upload cali yet but I see someone else has already so thats good then).

Let me know if I can help out.

bigsness
January 17th, 2007, 23:42
I currently have Cali, NY and Indiana created if anyone needs it ( haven't had a chance to upload cali yet but I see someone else has already so thats good then).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rijdtq

My CA geodata if anyone needed it.

BaDaPpLe
January 18th, 2007, 00:41
Thanks alot!! I got it and it seems to be working ok. Thanks again bro

wbrod
January 18th, 2007, 00:46

can you share NY? thanks

gonzobrian
January 18th, 2007, 01:51
I hate to ask but can some one do a geodata for Texas.

Also big thanks to deniska and in7ane!!!

bigsness
January 18th, 2007, 03:01
can you share NY? thanks

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rm23j5

Here is the NY geodata.

califrag
January 18th, 2007, 09:37
Hi Deniska!
First of all I want to thank you for making such great applications! I've been a huge fan of your work since KETM.

I finally got my GPSlim240 cable made so it won't short out my psp and everything is working! Now that I have MapThis! with GPS I was thinking of a couple "wishes" maybe you could work into a future release.. Please let me know what you think.

1) Arrow Selection Option

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5108/changearrowra2.png
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1849/changearrow2be3.png

I know it's probably hard or not possible to determine whether you are passing over land, sea or air (or other), but allowing to manually select the arrow choice would be awesome. i'm imagining a file structure similar to:

cursors\
..\land\
..\..\car.png
..\..\arrowred.png
..\sea\
..\..\boat.png
..\air\
..\..\plane.png
..\other\
..\..\ufo.png
..\system\
..\..\crosshair.png
..\..\arrowred.png

though that is a pretty ... complex structure i suppose...

2) Free-Roam (Free-Look) while GPS is ON

Next thing I was wondering if it would be possible to allow "free roam" with the cursor while GPS is on? Currently, if GPS is on and you move the analog stick to view other areas of the map, GPS is turned off.

It would be great if you could view other areas of a map (and GPS-tracking arrow shows in small window like the "North" compass). When the analog stick is released, the map should recenter to the GPS-tracking arrow.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9578/freelookwhilegpsoncu8.png

3) POI Management

And lastly, probably the biggest "wish" on my wishlist, would be the ability to manage multiple POIs from within the MapThis! program... see my animated image below:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/323/animanimate2jc7.gif

That would be AWESOME if you could make this happen! I would pay you to add that feature if it was possible...

I know you are currently busy working on getting the geodata into a more user-friendly application, and I do not mean to distract you from that! I wanted to throw these suggestions out there to see if you were already working on them, if they are planned for future releases already, or if they are even possible.

Well again thanks! If you need me to compile or test or run anything please let me know. I have geocoder program working and MapThis with GPSlim240. Currently running on 3.02 OE-B with a 500MB map of the entire LA area :D