PDA

View Full Version : The Golden age of gaming

opiate81
December 9th, 2006, 09:38
My question is this..
Have we seen it already or is it yet to come?
In my eyes its passed already.. I don’t know if Im just growing out of games (Im 25 now) or theyre just going down the same road as movies.. Big budget, big special effects.. no substance
My first experience with a game other than Pong that was built into my uncles tv was Ernie and Berts Learn to Spell on the good ol Atari 2600.. now I was 4 at the time so any Sesame Street game woulda been a winner !!
`twas good though as I was lightyears ahead of the other kids my age with math, spelling and swinging over swamps with crocs in them!! (Pitfall)
That was about the Bronze age for me.. although I think anything like that woulda got me at that age
The Silver age actually came after my Golden age
It was around the time when the SNES was fading out and the PS1 was coming in.. now I LOVED my SNES alot of my favourite games came out on that system
Chrono Trigger, Killer Instinct, Mario Kart/World and Super Metroid... I dunno how many times Ive finished that.. I still pick it up and go hard
But wow.. the PS1 anyone who went from 2d to 3d may agree that it was the biggest evolutionary leap in gaming also a very exciting and mind blowing time
Myself it had to be the Commodore 64 for gold! With one of the biggest libraries of games most of which got me addicted its hard to beat!
I still play Sid Meier`s Pirates.. on my PSP through an emulator :p
Fame Quest and Zork as well, just simple and effective games
When I think of it the Homebrew scene is still carrying the torch *golf clap*
but the commercial industry almost fails to excite me now 

When was or will be your golden age?
Sorry about my shocking grammar and long winded rant :p

C0R3F1GHT3R
December 9th, 2006, 10:51
i personally think the golden age of gaming is when ur a child, because u don't care as much for the competition and u have no other worries so u get to really enjoy ur games because i don't remember anything more fun then when i had my SNES and N64! Now its just so much work and stuff that when i get to finally sit down to enjoy a game it better be good. Game makers are probably running out of ideas if u think about it, because almost everythings already done and u can only build onto something so much. The next big thing will be virtual reality online with insane graphics.

gamerremag
December 9th, 2006, 15:23
the golden age was when games were coming out non stop. no lawsuits. no piracy. just entertainment

dejkirkby
December 9th, 2006, 15:26
My golden age was the Amstrad CPC 464.
I even got a an after-school job just so I could buy the latest £2.99 games on cassette.

chrono75
December 10th, 2006, 02:20
I would have to agree with C0R3F1GHT3R on this one. I was around when there was the NES but I got an SNES first and that was my favorite and still is. :)

Junixx
December 10th, 2006, 02:53
Hm, heres how it went for me...

DS - Golden Age
N64 - Silver Age
Sega Genesis - Silver Age

The DS is probably the most I've ever spent on a system, I've gotten older as time goes by and although I don't have as much ti-......wait well i still have quite alot of time, but still not as much as a i used to, and I enjoy playing my DS wherever I go :thumbup:

(P.S. - I know i have 2 silver ages, i could have put more in there though lol)

JKKDARK
December 10th, 2006, 05:48
Dreamcast (because the online games)

Mega Drive (because the new games like Sonic)

Master System (because the 3D glasses)