PDA

View Full Version : Linux Info

Man
December 11th, 2006, 11:47
Is anyone here on a linux machine? i really want to switch to Ubuntu, but i dont know what its like, or what the software is like. If anyone can tell me that would be great.

splodger15
December 11th, 2006, 12:09
Its like anything once you have had it for a while you get used to it i did after a while

NoQuarter
December 11th, 2006, 12:28
Once you get used to the menu system on kde or gnome or whatever window manager you choose it's pretty similar to windows.You may have to use the command line once or twice,I personally like kde better than gnome though.You might want to keep a windows partition around if you play alot of pc games though.

Cap'n 1time
December 11th, 2006, 17:30
sadly your better off learning how to use the terminal and console instead of using graphical displays to do your CONFIGURATION stuff.. if you get too reliant upon those you will eventually be ****ed over. I suggest you read alot of the ubuntu wiki link at the bottom. I wish i had had it back in the slackware days.

SO RULE NUMBER 1! DO NOT RELY ON THE X GRAPHICAL SYSTEM FOR ANYTHING OR ELSE SOME DAY YOU WILL BECOME VERY VERY ANGRY WHEN YOU CANT START UP X AND YOU ARE STUCK WITH A CONSOLE!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Man
December 11th, 2006, 21:11
Is ubuntu the best to go with, or are there better ones, and i dont play games on my computer.

Cap'n 1time
December 12th, 2006, 05:38
Is ubuntu the best to go with, or are there better ones, and i dont play games on my computer.

Well a few months ago i would have suggested debian..
Ubuntu is a sexied up version of debian with a much more helpful and supported community. yes ubuntu is the way.

ExcruciationX
December 12th, 2006, 06:20
I use Mandriva with KDE. I personally like it.

Cap'n 1time
December 12th, 2006, 06:51
ubuntu with xfce is the way i roll, but your better off using either gnome or kde to begin with. :)