PDA

View Full Version : Lefties better at games?

wraggster
December 11th, 2006, 16:03
Article Via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70862)

Australian research suggests that left-handers might be a bit better at games than their right-handed counterparts.

That's because, according to a report published in the Neuropsychology journal, sharing of information between the left and right sides of a left-hander's brain is "more efficient".

Dr Nick Cherbuin from the Australian National University told ABC Science Online that this would help with tasks that involve lots of information or stimuli, including "fast computer games".

He said that his research, which saw 80 right- and 20 left-handed people performing tasks designed to rely on collaboration between the two hemispheres of the brain, demonstrates that among left-handers "sharing of resource across their hemispheres is more efficient".

Lord knows what this means for me, mind you - I use my left hand for writing and my right for basically everything else.

What utter rubbish, everyone knows the right handers are best ;)

nielsss
December 11th, 2006, 16:14
haha i'm left handed

Makaveli777
December 11th, 2006, 16:36
right handed is best. what could be bad about omething that has the word "right" in it lol. Feels so good.

Nookadum
December 11th, 2006, 17:04
Well, Fatal1ty is left-handed and he's a Quake 3/4/Painkiller champion, and those are fast-paced games. :o

John Vattic
December 11th, 2006, 17:52
I'm ambedextrous

steve-b
December 11th, 2006, 18:09
I bet drummers make good gamers.

geise69
December 11th, 2006, 19:24
I'm left handed, been playing drums since i was 5 (now 29) and I can beat Radian Silvergun on hard and Ikaruga (DC version) on normal without continuing. I just have good reflexes so I'm really good at shooters. Being a die-hard arcade shooter fan helps. I can also pick up any first person shooter and be decent pretty quick. I don't know how accurate all the information about left handers being "more efficient" really is though.

Mr. Shizzy
December 11th, 2006, 19:36
I would have to say from my observations, it's true. Because I'm left handed and am much more efficient at videogames than most of my friends. Not to mention I've competed on a world wide level on PS2's Fight Night Round 3 (and held my own against some of the world's best) :D

kiariki
December 11th, 2006, 21:16
Although I am somewhat ambidextrous, I lean more towards the lefty side... And...

I suck at fast-paced video games, mainly Halo and Unreal Tournament... >_> Go figure.

Basil Zero
December 11th, 2006, 21:38
what difference does it make!

it all depends on skill and not which hand

NovaKane
December 11th, 2006, 21:58
Lefties PWN!

Auriman1
December 11th, 2006, 22:16
I'm ambidextruous. Have started to be neither left or right dominant recently, and my abilities greatly increased since then. Personal times and scores I set last year suddenly seem terrible in comparison to "the new me."

Junixx
December 11th, 2006, 22:34
what difference does it make!

it all depends on skill and not which hand

It does make a difference on which side of your brain that you mostly use, remember that the left side controls the right side of your body and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. also depending on what side of your brain can shape your personality. Depending on what you think and how you think can affect your skill

I'm ambidextruous. Have started to be neither left or right dominant recently, and my abilities greatly increased since then. Personal times and scores I set last year suddenly seem terrible in comparison to "the new me."

Me too :thumbup:

Although I think there are more lefties being born into the world today than there used to...now if only i can remember the site where i got that from...

F9zDark
December 11th, 2006, 23:41
I write right handed, but I cannot control a car or bicycle with only my right hand, whereas I can with only my left. Works out better that way I think, can have my right arm free to have around the girl :P

Wouldn't know how true this is, my gaming skills vary considerably between games and competitive games like FPS games I need to play for long periods of time to get to a level of greatness; if I stop playing for a month, I suck again and have to practice all over again.

PSP_Newbie
December 11th, 2006, 23:45
While it might be true that the ratio of lefties to righties is increasing, part of that could be that lefties used to be thought of as if something was wrong with them, and were strictly "corrected" to use their right hands. Nowadays, a child will grow up just fine being left-handed.

blaz3d
December 12th, 2006, 00:11
What utter rubbish, everyone knows the right handers are best ;)

if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, only left handed people are in there right minds:p:D

MasterBeef
December 12th, 2006, 00:13
I'm a leftie (in Australia too! :D ), and I'm great at fast-paced FPS games like Halo, UT, HL2, etc.

However, I dislike slower games like Splinter Cell.

This fits with the theory, though obviously we can't say "all left-handed people are good at fast-paced games".

Video_freak
December 12th, 2006, 00:18
I think I'm a little screwed up too. I write with my left hand, but do most sports with my right hand or foot, except for badminton, for which I use my left hand.

Like MasterBeef, I also love fast paced games.

kcajblue
December 12th, 2006, 00:57
I think I'm a little screwed up too. I write with my left hand, but do most sports with my right hand or foot, except for badminton, for which I use my left hand.

Like MasterBeef, I also love fast paced games.i think i am too. i write with my right hand, but my left hand is stronger. and i do things with my left hand like cut with scissors.

Makaveli777
December 12th, 2006, 01:22
i wonder if lefties are better at street fighter sice the d-pad/joystick is on the left.

mavsman4457
December 12th, 2006, 03:03
Lefties PWN!

You have a sick avatar.

if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, only left handed people are in there right minds:p:D

That's good thinking.

Like MasterBeef, I also love fast paced games.

Hahahaha, badminton is awesome. I am pure righty besides when I play pool.

woods05
December 12th, 2006, 04:59
left handed people are 100 times better at games than right hand people.

booyah

TacticalBread
December 12th, 2006, 05:56
Yay for left handed! :D

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 12th, 2006, 09:50
It does make a difference on which side of your brain that you mostly use, remember that the left side controls the right side of your body and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. also depending on what side of your brain can shape your personality. Depending on what you think and how you think can affect your skill

i dont think thats completely true. i think some lefties use the left side of their brains. the leftis brain is funny but we still rule. look at the wiki article on us for the brain explination.