PDA

View Full Version : PSP: How to easily identify a fake/genuine memory card in FW 3.xx

blackrave
December 11th, 2006, 22:39
With firmware 3.xx (both in emulated and installed firmware), Sony have sort of added a feature to see if your memory card is fake. Just follow these steps:

In the XMB, go to either Game, Music, Video or Photo.
Press triangle to bring up a menu, then click "Information".
If the MagicGate text says "compatible", then it's a genuine memory stick. If it says "Unknown", it's most likely a fake (at least it's not MagicGate compatible).

Mine says "Unknown", which doesn't really surprise me as I bought it cheap from a stand in town. It's working very well, though, maybe a little slower than a genuine, so I guess I'm lucky.

What about your memory sticks, are they genuine?

Thanks to Muratcan (http://my.qj.net/Check-if-memory-stick-is-genuine-using-3-00-firmware/pg/49/aid/1102).

vanle
December 12th, 2006, 02:30
fake.. :( but was cheap

TacticalBread
December 12th, 2006, 02:34
Woo hoo! Mine's supported, and it was cheap! (I got it used :D)

and slightly off topic: I found another new feature. If you don't specify a name for an Internet connection, it automatically names it the SSID name.

mavsman4457
December 12th, 2006, 02:39
Thanks for this. I bought mine off of ebay and it was pretty cheap but I never actually knew if it was real or not. It's worked well so far but I'll have to check its legitimacy when I get my PSP back. Oh man I want my PSP back.

mikebeaver
December 12th, 2006, 02:54
Well just checked both my 2gb sticks and low n behold, a couple of fakes.They look spot on,no dodgy text and they work so im not that bothered.good little bit of software from Sony for a change.Nice find mate.

Gizmo356
December 12th, 2006, 03:44
yeah my memory stick looks real too but its fake o well it works fin and looks real so i dont care

Joe100517
December 12th, 2006, 04:33
That sucks that fakes are so prevelant. My 2 gig stick I got off of ebay worked for like 6 months before it totally died. Readers don't even know when it's inserted or not anymore. I think the way you can tell without this software is if there's the reddish colored numbers on the back of it. The fakes don't have any... I think at least, being able to read it in the new version would confirm that.

xchinamanx
December 12th, 2006, 04:46
real~!

ICE
December 12th, 2006, 04:52
mines a real 1gb off ebay!! yay!! $20 usd! haha

penileartery
December 12th, 2006, 05:30
weird...lol i have 2 2 gig sticks one looks real. and the other doesnt. anyways. one of them(theone that says sony) runs all homebrew, whereas my otherone runs everything except devhook. it sucks because i want devhook on both my psps. wonder if anyone has any solutions.

d3v1l
December 12th, 2006, 06:24
real.

MicroNut
December 12th, 2006, 07:36
I have:
Original 32MB Sony: Supported
1 GB Sandisk: Supported
2 GB Sony: Unsupported
4 GB Sandisk: Supported

jonezybaby
December 12th, 2006, 08:37
good little bit of software from Sony for a change.

not really becus i no for a fact that mine are real cards yet on this it says unknown, ive even taken my 2gb card apart 2 find out that its real!!

hawke213x
December 12th, 2006, 08:40
Updating just for this would be pointless....but mine are real I hope, considering my 32 came with the damn thing. And the crap 128 is from Action Replay.

Vangar
December 12th, 2006, 10:19
Does it matter if they are magicgate compatible or not, honestly? As long as they work, they will transfer at the same speeds.

Baboon
December 12th, 2006, 11:09
Does it matter if they are magicgate compatible or not, honestly? As long as they work, they will transfer at the same speeds.

Do they transfer at the same speeds though??

I think this is quite a good new feature from Sony. If I’ve been ripped off online by purchasing a fake stick (that will only last 6 months) then I think I’d like to know?

Thankfully my 4gb Sandisk card is the real deal. :)

magicmaster50060
December 12th, 2006, 11:33
i got mine off of ebay, and it work fine then i heard about the bootleging and i got scared.

i cheecked it and it said unknown so i gusse mine is fake :(

it works fine though...

drEDN4wt
December 12th, 2006, 15:06
is it just checking if it was formated on the psp ...with the ms.ind files i deleted

dejkirkby
December 12th, 2006, 15:23
I checked one of the Giga Pack 1GB MS's that I got with the PSP and they are unknown. So I don't think it means they're fake or not.

kersplatty
December 12th, 2006, 17:41
yeeeaaa mines legit, but it used to be incredibly slow on 1.5fw on se it is fast tho must have had a bad downgrade

Anger
December 12th, 2006, 22:26
i have 2.71 se-c and my double expand shows as unknown in devhook 3.01 (obviously its the magicgate that it cant detect) but i think the magicgate is a good thing if you can have it because i think it guards against data corruption (which the double expand is plagued with).

bugme
December 13th, 2006, 02:41
My 2 Gig Sony High Speed Duo that I bought from Ebay for $43.00 says "Unknown." (Thank You Devhook <3)

I know for a fact it is real, it carries the 1933MB of data, it has no bad letter prints, nor prints that can rub off, etc.

I don't think if it's Magicgate compatible proves if it is fake or not.

Vangar
December 13th, 2006, 06:05
Do they transfer at the same speeds though??

I think this is quite a good new feature from Sony. If I’ve been ripped off online by purchasing a fake stick (that will only last 6 months) then I think I’d like to know?

Thankfully my 4gb Sandisk card is the real deal. :)

But its not to check if its a fake stick or not, it checks to see if the stick is magic-gate compatible. Lots of companies can make sticks that work without magic-gate, doesn't make them fake. Hell, I'm pretty sure not all Sony memory sticks are magic-gate.

Baboon
December 13th, 2006, 08:48
But its not to check if its a fake stick or not, it checks to see if the stick is magic-gate compatible. Lots of companies can make sticks that work without magic-gate, doesn't make them fake. Hell, I'm pretty sure not all Sony memory sticks are magic-gate.

Sorry my mistake then... if this is incorrect though then the title of this thread should be amended from 'How to easily identify a fake/genuine memory card in FW 3.xx'.

mikebeaver
December 13th, 2006, 09:54
you can easily tell if its a magic gate version of memory stick, as it will have the magic gate logo on your MS, if it has it but comes up "unknown" its probably a fake.