PDA

View Full Version : 1UP Awards: PSP earns more nominations than DS

wraggster
December 12th, 2006, 02:31
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/12/11/1up-awards-psp-earns-more-nominations-than-ds/)

The PSP took a whopping 31 nominations this year in 1UP's annual "1UP Awards." The DS, on the other hand, only received 22. If you're a member of 1UP, now's the chance to rock the vote and show everyone that the PSP really does have an excellent library of games, no matter what Nintendo fanboys may say. Here are some of the categories the PSP is competing in:

Strategy
Metal Gear Acid 2
Field Commander

Shooting
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 2

Sports
NFL Street 3
NCAA Football 07

Racing
ATV Offroad Fury Pro

Action
LEGO Star Wars II
Mega Man: Powered Up
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Killzone: Liberation

Adventure
Daxter
Grand theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Fighting
Power Stone Collection
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw
Guilty Gear Judgment
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX

SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 2

Puzzle (the PSP nearly swept this category!)
Lumines II
Every Extend Extra
Mercury Meltdown
Exit
Gunpey
WTF
Lemmings

Simulation
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception

Most Innovative
Loco Roco

Game of the Year
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

TacticalBread
December 12th, 2006, 02:39
Metal Gear Solid is definitely the best PSP game I've played. :D

Gene
December 12th, 2006, 03:00
i agree. No matter what anyone says. the psp does have some pretty fun games.

although, the best thing for psp is homebrew...

Makaveli777
December 12th, 2006, 03:10
People like to hate on psp because its a threat. It has great homebrew and commercial games.

emuking
December 12th, 2006, 04:12
homebrew sadly doesnt make a handheld its the games that do, otherwise it would be the psp stepping on the ds, but thats not the case because the ds has a larger library of better games, the only game on that list thats even okay is mgs portable ops and thats only because im a fan otherwise i would find this list meh

Makaveli777
December 12th, 2006, 04:38
homebrew sadly doesnt make a handheld its the games that do, otherwise it would be the psp stepping on the ds, but thats not the case because the ds has a larger library of better games, the only game on that list thats even okay is mgs portable ops and thats only because im a fan otherwise i would find this list meh

Well guess what emuking thats your opinion and not a fact. Many people including me like alot of the games on the list. I'll name the ones I like Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, Daxter, GTA VCS, Tekken Dark Resurrection, Loco Roco, and Lumines II. They also got pretty good reviews which mean they are liked by some people.

Cap'n 1time
December 12th, 2006, 04:53
Actually many of the games on the list are ones that i have enjoyed. I never played WTF, Exit, Ace Combat (but i like those games). Those are games that look interesting... but powerstone was a disapointment to me (i really enjoyed the DC games, i dont know what it is about the psp games i dont like) I will never play those dorky wrestling games. Well done psp.
Make more quality titles and you may be able to do some real damage to the DS.

Makaveli777
December 12th, 2006, 05:38
Powerstone was a major disappointment to me too. No game sharing and no infrastructure= Nobody to play with. I wanna play WTF i heard it was like warioware but not as good.

dejkirkby
December 12th, 2006, 08:15
WTF is the shit. Everyone should get this.

TacticalBread
December 12th, 2006, 08:19

WTF is great! :D

Unless of course you are a person who dislikes random, or odd things. But if you like random or odd things, like putting caps on pens, you will love WTF. :D

irongiant
December 12th, 2006, 13:20

No it doesn't. That's your opinion and it's not shared by games reviewers, who are apparently the experts. The PSP has more games with a score of 80/100 or above than the DS so the PSP has a better quality library of games. It's a fact, accept it and grow up because as long as you're happy with the games you buy that's what really matters and stop the willy waving.

kaffie
December 12th, 2006, 14:02

WTF is WTF? :P

C0R3F1GHT3R
December 12th, 2006, 15:06
games good or not the big thing between the PSP and DS. When people go to buy their kids something for a gift they rarely care about the games its gonna have it for they mostly care about the price and since the DS is a just a bit over a 100$ and the PSP is 250$ thats a very big difference.

dejkirkby
December 12th, 2006, 15:33
games good or not the big thing between the PSP and DS. When people go to buy their kids something for a gift they rarely care about the games its gonna have it for they mostly care about the price and since the DS is a just a bit over a 100$ and the PSP is 250$ thats a very big difference.

I totally agree. As a machine the PSP walks all over the DS. But the price of them makes the DS a more viable option. Coupled with Nintendo's long Handheld history and great first party games, this is a winning combination.
In defence of the PSP, it has some kick-ass games. But people seem to think because it's Sony that the games should be on a par with PS2 games. that's unfair.
It's like saying DS games should be the same as Gamecube games.
I have many UMD's and have enjoyed the vast majority of them.
My reccomendations are:
GTA:LCS & VCS
WTF (for those who don't know WTF is kinda like Wario Ware, but you earn money and buy stuff The hand-stabbing game is cool as is wood-chopping)
PES6 Best handheld football ever.
Football Manager 07
Burnout Legends
NFS: Carbon
MK: Unchained
Dave Mirra BMX Challenge (I'm pulling your leg here)

irongiant
December 12th, 2006, 16:32
Agreed, the PSP price is a big factor and i'm amazed Sony haven't yet reduced it, i can only assume they're happy with the sales it's getting at this price point and will announce a price cut when sales drop off. The DS is ideal for parents to buy for their kids, it's cheap good fun and will play all the Gameboy games they've already got!

The PSP is a toe into the water from Sony and as a first attempt it's doing well. I hope/expect their next handheld to be a big improvement over the PSP.

goity
December 12th, 2006, 18:07
I like my DS, but in general PSP games have much better longevity. Most DS titles I'm bored with after 2 hours, and that is just not worth £30. At least Sony realise that games should be cheap too. I can walk into gamestation and come out with psp games at £10 each, but with DS it is more like £30.

Cap'n 1time
December 12th, 2006, 19:42
Agreed, the PSP price is a big factor and i'm amazed Sony haven't yet reduced it, i can only assume they're happy with the sales it's getting at this price point and will announce a price cut when sales drop off. The DS is ideal for parents to buy for their kids, it's cheap good fun and will play all the Gameboy games they've already got!

The PSP is a toe into the water from Sony and as a first attempt it's doing well. I hope/expect their next handheld to be a big improvement over the PSP.

You have to keep in mind its all about the money. Sony is actually losing money by selling consoles. If they lowered the price it would hurt them alot (the only way they can drop the price is if the manufacturers of the hardware lower the price). In other words, companies dont sell consoles cheap out of the goodness of their hearts.

The reason behind a lack of ps2 quality games, which I read above and feel is fairly a good point, IS NOT a lack of hardware, its lack of interest from developers. The more money they see sony and others rake in the more willing companies will be to shell out thousands of dollars towards game development.

Vibestar
December 12th, 2006, 23:43
who cares... oh a lot of people ;)

Basil Zero
December 13th, 2006, 06:26
HA!

Take that DS

DS cant and wont ever play Metal Gear Portable Ops

number1jagsfan
December 13th, 2006, 18:56
I don't think the only reason the DS is selling better than the PSP is the price. The DS is fast becoming one of the best selling game systems of all time, and could pass the PS2 in terms of units sold in the not too distant future.

The DS has a fairly small catalogue of very high quality games. Another plus is the fact that most of the games can be played for a short time and then turned off, ideal for portable gaming, whereas a lot of PSP games are more suited to playing at home. I don't think that is neccessarily a problem, but most of the top PSP games are weaker versions of PS2 games, which you can play at home anyway.

The battery life of the PSP is another disappointment, not great for gaming on the go.

I think the recent announcement of DQIX for the DS is testament to the importance and quality of the system, and losing one of the best selling games series of all time to Nintendo is certainly a huge blow for Sony.