PDA

View Full Version : "HD DVD wins, Blu-ray loses"

Darksaviour69
December 12th, 2006, 10:22
Rob Enderle the Principal Analyst in the Enderle Group, has posted an article at tomshardware.co.uk, about the HD DVD/Blue-ray war:

Much like it is with game systems; competing formats for video are not about the best technology. They are about the most prevalent technology. It is expensive to publish movies and, at least for now, you can't put Blu-ray and HD DVD disks into the same box.

With the Xbox 360 moving so strongly into the market and the top accessory this year being the $200 HD-DVD drive the battle may be over by year end. There is every chance that there may be as many as ten times more HD DVD players than Blu-ray players in the market by the end of the year - even if you don't factor in that HP, the current leader in PC sales, started shipping desktop computers with a $100 HD DVD option. This, coupled with a much lower overall cost for the stand alone players as well as better support for legacy TVs and dual mode disks (that have both legacy DVD and HD-DVD content on a single disk), suggests that HD-DVD is now the format to beat.

HD-DVD wins because of the Xbox 360 - which is ironic, given Blu-ray should have won because of the Playstation 3. Instead, Blu-ray has delayed the Playstation 3 to a point where Sony may have to wait until the Playstation 4 to recover.

BetaMax, Mini-Disk, MemoryStick, and now Blu-ray. At least Sony is consistent. Also, if there is one company that is really looking forward to a better 2007 more than Sony I don't know of it. Boy, when you couple in root kits and battery/camera recalls, you are talking about a really nasty run of bad luck for Sony this year.

Full article (http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/11/29/enderle_on_christmas_trends/)

http://digg.com/img/badges/100x20-digg-button.gif (http://digg.com/gaming_news/HD_DVD_wins_Blu_ray_loses)

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player for $199.90/£103.43 (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-50ep-71-df-49-en-15-hd+dvd-84-j-70-1m8r-43-bn.html)

MikeDX
December 12th, 2006, 10:29
You missed out UMD...

mikebeaver
December 12th, 2006, 11:34
You missed out UMD...

:rofl: sony screw it up again, even Nintendo MAY do an HD-DVD add-on,lol wouldnt wanna be a sony share holder right now.

Gray Fox
December 12th, 2006, 14:48
What exactly is the diff betwhen a HD-DVD and a blue ray?? The PS3 got so delayed that most people, or at least it seems bought a xbox 360 instead. How the ****s that possible to have it delayed until late 2007 in europe?!

smiles
December 12th, 2006, 15:44
This difference is that Blu-Ray is better. It can hold 50 Gigabytes of data and HD-DVD can only hold 30 Gigabytes. Since movies for both formats cost the same for consumers and the PS3 has Blu-Ray built in, I imagine that Blu-Ray will win in the end and hopefully soon.

Blu-Ray also has more movie studios backing it, so you're likely to see a wider variety of movies on Blu-Ray than HD-DVD.

The first 3 DVD XBOX 360 game came out in Japan called Blue Dragon, which just confims that Higher density formats like Blu-Ray are a smart choice even for gaming.

Elven6
December 13th, 2006, 00:23
You also forgot to mention that Sony owns a huge portion of the movie biz! And Blue Dragon could also fit onto a HD-DVD disc which some games might in the future (A small portion is possible). And the 360 also has the cheapest HD-DVD player so you can't throw it out of the picture smiles.

And most studios not owned by Sony said they will publish titles for both formats to leave the consumer with some choice!

acn010
December 13th, 2006, 00:36
to tell you the truth, sony has been doing their own stuff for their products, its pretty reasonable that there making tons of stuff that makes so much delays

smiles
December 13th, 2006, 19:51
You also forgot to mention that Sony owns a huge portion of the movie biz! And Blue Dragon could also fit onto a HD-DVD disc which some games might in the future (A small portion is possible). And the 360 also has the cheapest HD-DVD player so you can't throw it out of the picture smiles.

I"m not counting them out, that's ultimately up to the consumers to decide who wins. Though I wish MS would make a HD-DVD version of Blue Dragon, they have made public statments stating NO games on HD-DVD.

Toshiba has a HD-DVD player for $500 on the market. XBOX360 core system with HD-DVD addon is also $500. It also has it's own power adaptor (which makes two power cables necessary for the HD-DVD player)

With the power of the PS3 and XBOX 360, comes higher quality multi-channel audio, higher resolution textures, and HD video. Blue Dragon shows that Sony made a smart choice for games, and I personally hope that it helps Blu-ray movies catch on as well. And as a consumer, I'm currently supporting Blu-ray with my dollars.

tsurumaru
December 14th, 2006, 01:40
Well thats some of the pro's for Blu ray. You could also look at the cons. Sony has lost so much money in development of the format and has prioritised the PS3 above its high end Blu Ray players following its blue diode shortage (which will result in further financial loss from the loss in early adopters paying big bucks for expensive early players).
Sony have put all their eggs in one basket by integrating the drive into the PS3, if HD DVD loses the format war MS can simply release a Blu Ray add on drive.
From the looks of it the two formats quality is hard to tell apart and yet the HD DVD media is cheaper and the movies released to date have more features on the HDDVD discs, they also have significantly smoother menu access times (Blu Ray menus are SLOW).

Lastly the main thing driving sales of either format will be whether consumers actually want them. After spending a lot to accumulate my current DVD movie collection which looks pretty decent in 480p I have no intention of forking out for upgraded versions of each movie anytime soon.

Cap'n 1time
December 14th, 2006, 02:01
I think what will ultimately decide which format will succeed will the be PRICE OF MANUFACTURING (not how much they sell it to consumers for in the first few months, that means nothing).

For now at least, it seems HD-DVD has won in that sense in terms of both the Hardware and the media. This in no way means hd-dvd is better for you. As mentioned you are using a smaller media ( 30 gigs is still ****ing large for disk media btw). Beta max was superior to the VHS tape but it was no success either.