PDA

View Full Version : PS3 overtakes 360 in Japan after a month

wraggster
December 12th, 2006, 15:58
Recent hardware sales figures for Japan reveal that the PS3 has sold more than 187,000 consoles since its launch on November 17 - already trouncing Xbox 360, which has only managed to sell 110,000 units in the past year.

Oh dear. We all knew gamers in the Far East weren't too hot on the American-made console, but it still comes as quite a swiftly-dealt blow. But our friends over at PSW magazine are happy again.

Still, at least the original Xbox is still selling - an astonishing 11 consoles were swiped off shelves by terrifyingly eager Japanese gamers in the week of November 27 to December 3. Yes, ELEVEN! It's unstoppable.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=151354)

dejkirkby
December 12th, 2006, 16:09
The Microsoft World Domination Project is now complete.

Darksaviour69
December 12th, 2006, 16:11
should be interesting what the xbox 360 sales are like during after the "Blue Dragon" effect

irongiant
December 12th, 2006, 16:23
Good news for Sony, especially considering the launch lineup isn't anything special.. the Blue Dragon affect with see a spike in sales which will quickly drop off again. PS3 sales will be steady every week regardless of games released!

quzar
December 12th, 2006, 16:23
It's funny how this is stated as if it were a big deal. What's surprising is it didn't overtake it in the first day of sales, good for you Sony craptacular manufacturing arm.

ElRazur
December 12th, 2006, 16:57
It's funny how this is stated as if it were a big deal. What's surprising is it didn't overtake it in the first day of sales, good for you Sony craptacular manufacturing arm.

Do i detect a hint of fanboyism and ignorance in your post?

mnuhaily22
December 12th, 2006, 17:07
That is weird, I just bought a 360 a few weeks back, and I love it, the graphics are amazing, and the controller is the bet thing that ever hit me as a gamer, and I tried the PS3 out, and there wasn't much diffeence graphics wise, but I just don't like how the controller didn't cange one bit over the PS2 one(except bluetooth and being all wireless).

quzar
December 12th, 2006, 17:10
Do i detect a hint of fanboyism and ignorance in your post?

No not really. Microsoft's sales of their Xbox series in japan has been abyssmal since day 1. For the PS3, which Sony touts as a holy grail of videogaming to be compared in sales to a machine which is currently being outsold on a weekly bases by the GBA/SP (not micro or DS as they sell way higher) is just stupid.

irongiant
December 12th, 2006, 17:20
No not really. Microsoft's sales of their Xbox series in japan has been abyssmal since day 1. For the PS3, which Sony touts as a holy grail of videogaming to be compared in sales to a machine which is currently being outsold on a weekly bases by the GBA/SP (not micro or DS as they sell way higher) is just stupid.

Well no it's not stupid due to the fact that the PS3 and XBox360 are directly competing with each other, sales of both machine in every territory is important to their future and what games will be made for them.

ElRazur
December 12th, 2006, 17:20
Yeah xbox sales in japan has been very poor. Whether ps3 is a holy grail of video gaming is down to personal preferences and opinion.

Im sorry but ds and those handheld consoles, are not in the same league as a ps3 or 360....... On top of that dont forget how long the GBA/sp has been out (assuming we had to compare) before the ps3.

quzar
December 12th, 2006, 17:26
Yeah xbox sales in japan has been very poor. Whether ps3 is a holy grail of video gaming is down to personal preferences and opinion.

Im sorry but ds and those handheld consoles, are not in the same league as a ps3 or 360....... On top of that dont forget how long the GBA/sp has been out (assuming we had to compare) before the ps3.

I don't see your point. Mine was that even extremely old hardware is outselling the Xbox 360. It has done extremely poorly in japan and I don't think anyone has any sort of delusion that it will do better than the PS3 in the japanese market. As for the holy grail comment, i never said i think it is, I said that's what Sony touts it as.

PSPFR3AK
December 12th, 2006, 17:56
im not surprised
i still dont have a PS3 and i want one

Makaveli777
December 13th, 2006, 07:10
yea this was to be expected.

gdf
December 13th, 2006, 13:39
there will always be a difference between here and japan. i guess they're just not into xbox there. after all its a more westernised console. for example the wii is 100% japanese so will sell well there. similar story for ps3.