PDA

View Full Version : Sony Behind Fake YouTube Viral Campaign

wraggster
December 12th, 2006, 16:36
via slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/12/1411200)

Sony is up to the same old tricks again. Following in the footsteps of their fake PSP Graffiti campaign, Sony has hired marketing company Zipatoni to set up a YouTube-based viral marketing scheme (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/12/12/sony-pays-pr-firm-to-lie-about-wanting-a-psp-for-christmas-terrible-rapsong-video-included.htm)for the Sony PSP. The company did this by registering the domain alliwantforxmasisapsp. There are no disclaimers to show it isn't 'real', but the website's whois points out it's setup by Zipatoni."
From the C&VG article:

"The lies don't end there, fake comments have been posted at Kotaku only linking to the Youtube video to increase its pageviews: 'Good call on DJ max. Regarding music: if changes were to be made for westerners, this guy should be considered - LOLZ'"

shadowhawk22
December 12th, 2006, 16:46
I am studying marketing in college, and I consider it my hobby to watch and learn from the many marketing campaigns out there.

This PSP marketing ploy is retarded. When you go to the website, you get this fake feeling, like Sony secretly set this up, but didn't want it to look like they did. There's the "official" sony website link, etc. Then the material just makes you wanna vomit. Screaming, "I want a PSP"-- yeah, that's effective. I can think of way better viral campaigns that are cheaper, and more effective... Give it a rest Sony, you just make people hate you more. You tried to take away my homebrew, you closed my favorite store online, and now you this...

F9zDark
December 12th, 2006, 16:49
That rap video is such a ****ing joke...

ExcruciationX
December 12th, 2006, 16:56
OMG, Sony, you've sunk to a real low (If you haven't already).

gymnotropic
December 12th, 2006, 17:48
laff.

PSPFR3AK
December 12th, 2006, 17:53
i have 2 PSP and that zipatony guy sold them to me

Mew
December 12th, 2006, 18:09
sad... :(

Vibestar
December 12th, 2006, 23:42
BOOHOO you SONY DIRTBAGS hehe

cloud_952
December 13th, 2006, 00:08
Wow.. Sony's making me loathe them more by the day. o_o

samthegreat68
December 13th, 2006, 01:46
i dont get it.

Kaiser
December 13th, 2006, 02:27
Still a step up from Microsoft's viral campaigns.