PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS US version

wraggster
December 12th, 2006, 19:12
New from SuccessHK (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_Metal_Gear_Solid_Portable_OPS_US_version. html?aff_id=24) who most importantly ship this game WORLDWIDE, yes its already been posted but for those who missed it heres the info again.

http://www.superufo.com/item_photo/item/MetalGear_L.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops boasts ground-breaking online play that lets gamers recruit comrades to form a unique fighting force. The game follows the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, as Naked Snake establishes FOXHOUND in an attempt to hunt down the treacherous FOX unit, which has started a bloody revolt in South America. Set in 1970, the game will be the missing link in the ongoing Metal Gear saga, as players will learn more about returning characters such as Para-Medic, Major Zero and Sigint and also witness Naked Snake's greatest tragedy -- a loss that sets into motion the events of later games in the Metal Gear Solid timeline. Full voiceovers for cinematics, performed by returning cast from MGS3 - Snake Eater

http://www.superufo.com/item_photo/item/MetalGear_2.jpg

StealthCP
December 12th, 2006, 19:28
I suppose I'll be buying it. I have played every Metal Gear game ever, so I won't be missing it on the console I love :D What firmware does it require? I've reard that 3.* games do not run under 2.71 SE-C as they require a 3.* kernel.

Russoxley187
December 12th, 2006, 19:55
This seems to be a great game..
Awesome graphice, I just hope its does not cut back on gameplay

tragedie
December 12th, 2006, 20:47
I suppose I'll be buying it. I have played every Metal Gear game ever, so I won't be missing it on the console I love :D What firmware does it require? I've reard that 3.* games do not run under 2.71 SE-C as they require a 3.* kernel.

It requires FW 2.81.

The graphics are pretty awesome for the little chugger. The texturing and character models are much better than Kojima's Metal Gear Ac!d 2. The ragdoll physics introduced in MGS 2 are present so you can knock around your enemies.

Cut scenes feature both FMV like all the other MGS as well as comic adopted from MGS: Digital Graphic Novel style a nice touch.

Gameplay wise this game is also fantastic.

The new squad based character recruiting set up is pretty nifty, but you'll probably find that you'll only use Snake anyway.

The controls are pretty solid on Portable Ops. Unlike MGS 2 and 3, there isn't that second analog stick to aim/move the camera so it may become a hassle to look around you.

This game emphasizes stealth over rambo style unlike the two PS2 iterations. Each character is able to hold four items total. So, within these four item slots, you'll have to balance health, stamina, firearms, and ammo / support items.

All enemy units can be recruited into your growing army, boss characters are not exempt. (Hint: Use the same strategy that you used in MGS: 3 Snake Eater.) These recruits can be placed into different jobs whether it be spying, item development, medical, or joining you in the field.

There are also a few great things you can do with the wireless. Using WiFi, you can recruit bonus soldiers via the Access Point Recruit (so you can recruit people at Seattle's Coffee or the Library). There's also online play as well as local deathmatch. They didn't call it deathmatch for nothing, when you lose your boys in multiplayer, you lose them for good.

There's the GPS feature too, I haven't had a chance to try this out. But I'm sure its similar to Access Point Recruit.

Hideo Kojima has put out another well built Sony exclusive. This is an excellent example of what developers can make for the PSP. Easy controls, eye popping graphics, wireless integration, and a great story to boot.

Veskgar
December 12th, 2006, 21:09
This game is the epitome of what a PSP game should be. I hope this game not only increases sales of the PSP but also sparks more high caliber games from other developers instead of some of the weaker titles the PSP has been showered with.

tragedie
December 12th, 2006, 21:23
This game is the epitome of what a PSP game should be. I hope this game not only increases sales of the PSP but also sparks more high caliber games from other developers instead of some of the weaker titles the PSP has been showered with.

You should see the crap that the DS is showered with. The DS has many awesome games, but there's a very large list of crap titles to go with it. Hey, if you shoot a shotgun into a flock of birds, you'll have to hit something.

Veskgar
December 12th, 2006, 22:02
@ tragedie - Oh I know. I also have a DS Lite as well as a PSP.

And due to that, the only reason I can grasp why the DS Lite is dominating is that it is more kid/girl/adult/elderly friendly due to its simpler ease of use. That and the DS Lite is more affordable. Both hardware and games.

bullhead
December 12th, 2006, 22:34
Wow! Look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4S8KrkJnY

I cant wait to get this...

Waqs
December 12th, 2006, 22:54
This game has had me buzzing all week lol :D

bullhead
December 12th, 2006, 22:59
Any idea when the UK release date is?

TacticalBread
December 13th, 2006, 01:23
This is definitely the best PSP game out now. :D

Any idea when the UK release date is?

Game Faqs says early 2007. :o

Makaveli777
December 13th, 2006, 15:51
Who's gonna play this online. I already played subsistence online on ps2 so if yall got skills we need to play together on this. I wanna see how some of you on this site play

labowl
December 13th, 2006, 16:11
How do you get online?

hamid_dante
December 13th, 2006, 16:49
Lets hppe it's not as flaccid as MGS acid hhaah...

Apoklepz
December 13th, 2006, 16:58
Ok...My friend came to visit the other day with his copy of the game, so we could duke it out in vs. mode...only problem was he had a genuine 3.02fw PSP, while mine's was emulating it through Devhook .51 on my 2.71 SE-Cfw PSP....I absolutely could not get the damn thing to communicate with his PSP, in fact nothing Wi-fi worked while running my MGS game in Devhook...So, there's issues yet to be solved, right?

I'm currently looking for a solution to this, that will enable me to play the game online on my 2.71 SE-C, and also give me FULL 3.02fw compatibility...only if it's possible already, I mean. If someone is willing to help me out, please PM me as soon as you can...

I would love to play all you guys here, but I can't for the time being....How far are you guys in the game already? I've been playing the game 4 hours straight every night before going to bed, and my friend is just about where I'm at...but he found Eva last night!...He said that hidden characters like her can only be found through scanning wi-fi connections...He works around a lot of Bank buildings, so...go figure.

I'm glad they took Metal Gear back to it's stealth combat roots on PSP...Being a hardcore fan of MGS since the old NES game, I quite enjoyed the AC!D games, but they don't measure up to a massive game like this masterpiece...Kojima & his team have amazed me once more.
This is the game to own on PSP right now...it's also my new addiction.:thumbup:

seanp2500
December 13th, 2006, 18:17
I have it through iso file running on devhook. I like it alot too. That thing bout no online really sux darn

Apoklepz
December 13th, 2006, 18:51
Yeah, well...it's really worth buying the actual game...best PSP game,yet...and Tekken.

NovaKane
December 14th, 2006, 02:19
Wifi stuff works for me. I have the .cso and I'm running it through DevHook. I got 19 recruits while I was out today ^_^.

TacticalBread
December 14th, 2006, 07:26
I noticed one dissapointing thing. You can't hide in a box, anywhere you want. That was one of my favorite features from the other Metal Gears. :(

Oh well, it's still a great game.

and I've gotten WiFi working, through DevHook 0.51 3.01 FW.

djj1992
December 14th, 2006, 14:26
harbor at a roof you can find a box (C).

Apoklepz
December 14th, 2006, 14:41
Yep, he's right about that box location...I remember, cuz I got exited when I found it...Hiding in the box just brings one word to my mind...Classic.

Hey Tactical...Thanks for pointing out the wi-fi stuff. Everything works now.

TacticalBread
December 14th, 2006, 15:00
harbor at a roof you can find a box (C).

box!?

ahah! YES!

Thanks for the info! :D

gunntims0103
December 14th, 2006, 15:25
im gonna have to get this game ASAP..

i havent bought a new commercail game for the psp in a long time not since gta:lcs was out!!!!!

im looking forward to getting this one :D

Apoklepz
December 14th, 2006, 18:31
Get this game gunn! ...Then we can duke it out online! ...That would be sweet!

bullhead
December 14th, 2006, 18:35
Can I duke it out with you when the thyme comes Apoklepz? Nothing would excite me more. hahahahaa! ;)

bull, !

Apoklepz
December 14th, 2006, 18:39
Bring it! lol...I'm telling you guys, this game is more addicting than Coca Cola..........*shuns*what a lame comparisson that was......Oh well, you get the idea. :D

gdf
December 14th, 2006, 19:45
i want this frickin game. how are controls btw, are there any compromises(?). there must be with no r2 or l2 on the psp... also when is this out in uk?

Waqs
December 15th, 2006, 00:19
^the only thing which can annoy you sumtimes is being forced to move the camera left or right with L or R now and then.

TacticalBread
December 15th, 2006, 01:41
Woo hoo! I found the box! :D

Get this game gunn! ...Then we can duke it out online! ...That would be sweet!

ahah, I'll play you when I get the chance. :D

gunntims0103
December 15th, 2006, 01:46
any one know if online play for this game has the ability to use the mic head set to talk to other users..

that would be sweet, i cant belive i sold that i use to love playing socom:ftb online with the mic.

anyone know of a psp game with great online play that uses the mic....

keefurxxcore
December 15th, 2006, 02:12
ahhhhhhhh! i bought5 the game but i am NO WAY updating my 2.80, i want homebrew people make fun of me for it but its fun and i like it so i don;'t care

Apoklepz
December 15th, 2006, 14:39
-gunnts
I don't know if it works with the mic, but that would be pretty sic.

-Tactical
I hold your word to it...maybe sometime this weeked, sir?

Everyone....You have to try this game out through IRshell's PS2 controller mapping mod....It takes it to another level...At least you don't have to stand still anymore when rotating the camera...Not to mention how much ass it kicks to play it with dual analogs.
I might even consider getting that Blaze PSP to TV thing for Christmas...I think this game, the two GTAs and my emulators deserve to go on the big screen too by now.