PDA

View Full Version : Virtools — a New PSP Game Engine

TacticalBread
December 13th, 2006, 03:21
A new game engine for the PSP. It was used it Konami's Online Chess Kingdoms, so it appears it's for official PSP developers, not for homebrew :(
http://www.youtube.com/v/CDJdLGsxAWU

gymnotropic
December 13th, 2006, 18:08
http://www.studica.com/Virtools/

Unless I'm mistaken, you're able to buy it for $141 here.

toto
December 13th, 2006, 19:02
cool
there are online demos at this link:
http://www.virtools.com/applications/index_technology.asp

S34MU5
December 13th, 2006, 19:46
That video is N-I-C-E

Apoklepz
December 13th, 2006, 19:49
The student pack (I'm guessing it's pretty limited) costs $141.00...Take a closer look at how much the expansion pack libraries go for...GULP! I couldn't afford that even if I was Donald Trump's nephew.

Good to know...nonetheless.

gunntims0103
December 13th, 2006, 19:51
wow this is nice. So you create a game then copy it to a umd and play it?

i wish this was for homebrew so that we could just create 3d games and convert it to an eboot..

paco1984
December 13th, 2006, 20:00
realy nice tho. if i had the time id realy like to design something on that.

Amiga
December 13th, 2006, 20:21
looks like super stardust for the amiga.

d3v1l
December 13th, 2006, 20:23
its nice though the movies on the psp with the games look really fake...the screen of the psp never moves n when the ingame camera moves the real camera does too..n the psp is not 100% steady though the screen on the psp is...

gdf
December 13th, 2006, 20:28
wooooohooo ive only seen 12 secs of the video so far out of 3 mins on this thread. dial up all the way!

S34MU5
December 13th, 2006, 22:05
Guntims.
zion downloaded it so you can ask him :P

gunntims0103
December 13th, 2006, 22:16
???

zion actaully has this :D

i have to ask him some questions.

i wonder if its hard to work with and if a coder could port it to a new complier that complile in c/c++

i dought this would work though

Emeriastone
December 13th, 2006, 23:02
So claim you're a dev and then make homebrew!

gunntims0103
December 13th, 2006, 23:12
i wonder how zion even acuired it.

i also wonder what programming launguage this runs in. It says its a game engine and has its own code. So maybe it runs on its own launguage.

I really dont know

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 00:29
Same here.

It uses its own scripting language (VSL).

It is basically a drag and drop interface with support for extra functionality with scripting. (Think Game Maker in 3D and High End).

http://www.virtools.com/solutions/products/virtools_4.asp
http://www.gamemaker.nl/

Looks like they are trying to target small companies/teams like Indies to decrease development costs.

gunntims0103
December 14th, 2006, 00:34
wait do you actually have to order a installation disk?

wish it were a download..

I wonder how does it get accessed through the psp. a eboot???

Dom29
December 14th, 2006, 00:38
try searching for it on a torrent site, it gets load of results, just a tip ;)

EDIT: removed link :)

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 00:39
No, as far as I know this was designed for commercial developers so I be guessing you need the development equipment to run the compiled files properly. I could be wrong and it would be playable in an EBOOT format.

Chances are you can download from their support site but you still need to contact them for a developers' license and possibly an account for the support site.

Dev kit: http://psp3d.com/pspdevkit.JPG

Dom29: Remove that link

So claim you're a dev and then make homebrew!
Won't work. You need to give the name of the company (and they will run background checks), then you need to pay the full license fee to even get your hands on the tool.

Hell, to even get hold of the whitepaper, I need to actually own the company or at least be relatively high up in the ladder.

http://www.virtools.com/solutions/products/requestform.asp

carlitx
December 14th, 2006, 00:58
wow this is nice. So you create a game then copy it to a umd and play it?

i wish this was for homebrew so that we could just create 3d games and convert it to an eboot..

well maby some homebrew genuis will be able to do it...*cough*Dark_Alax*cough*......well as i said maby some one will hack it for us:p

gunntims0103
December 14th, 2006, 01:04
pfff...

if theres a fee they can keep there program i won't pay for a dev program that i probally won't even know who to use....

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 01:06
well maby some homebrew genuis will be able to do it...*cough*Dark_Alax*cough*......well as i said maby some one will hack it for us:p
I hope he won't. What you suggesting is flat out illegal and can get him into serious trouble.

In short, this is for commercial developemnt. Don't expect it to ever appear for homebrew development unless for some insane and stupid reason the company decides to go against Sony (which is commercial suicide, no other commercial game developer would touch it again due to pressure from Sony) and release it for homebrew use.

gunntims0103
December 14th, 2006, 01:10
well zion seems to have it maybe he can give us more information when he gets on...

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 01:17
Unless he has a legit copy, he has to consider that Virtools may be able to identify any builds from their own software which puts him in legal trouble. It doesn't help that he publically announced that he downloaded it on his own site forum.

Edit: thinking about it, the officially PSP development SDK should only compile the executable to an ELF which can be packed into a PBP so it *might* be possible to distribute a game via an EBOOT. Don't quote me on that though.

DPyro
December 14th, 2006, 01:30
Interesting...Will have to see how this works.

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 01:33
Not really, due the fact that the cost and the prerequisites to acquire the tool legally is outside most (if not all) home developers reach.

benn
December 14th, 2006, 08:32
konami online battle chess bollox.
the funny thing is when you think
"chess for psp" i bet the first thing you think of is, i wonder how konami can make that more interesting.
being a fan of chess, i thought the same thing and rented it.
what i then found out was that konami had not taken the logical approach... chess, great game, but how can we make it better? instead, i think the konami meeting went like this:

hmm. chess. great game. how can we make it slower. more irritating. more tedious. reduce the enjoyment. oh, i know... voila. one seriously crap chess game. oops. now its crap no one will buy it. what do us marketing guys do when we have a piece of crap no one will buy? that's right... we give it a crazy long name that makes it sound cool for the kids.

so in the short synopsis you have witnessed the everything that "super battle chess kings of online battle joy joy chocobo" has to offer.

vanle
December 14th, 2006, 12:50
Alright, just wait till it gets hacked/cracked. Yes it's illegal, but if someone were to publish it from any non western country, they'd get away with it. I highly doubt that the company would go after some nerd in the middle of china.

appie01
December 14th, 2006, 13:08
i've got it :D
i was looking on newzbin and
there it was Virtools im installing it right now
but the problem is i cant code :(

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 18:41
i've got it :D
i was looking on newzbin and
there it was Virtools im installing it right now
but the problem is i cant code :(
Then quite simply, don't bother with it. It wasn't designed for people like you and is a waste of bandwidth.

Apoklepz
December 14th, 2006, 18:56
^^^lol^^ you got his hopes down...C'mon yaustar...it's christmas! Don't bee a Grinch!....Not that I care.

yaustar
December 14th, 2006, 18:59
Hey, I am saving him from exceeding his monthly bandwidth quota. That's how generous I am ;).

But seriously, it isn't designed for inexperienced developers.

Apoklepz
December 14th, 2006, 19:07
Oh, but of course...I was just being sarcastic.

Anybody with experiece have a hand at it, yet?

dagger89
December 14th, 2006, 21:43
Good thing I don't have a bandwidth limit... Plus RS premium accounts make it all the more betterl... Time to look into this...

carlitx
December 16th, 2006, 19:57
bandwidth?

appie01
December 17th, 2006, 13:18
Good thing I don't have a bandwidth limit... Plus RS premium accounts make it all the more betterl... Time to look into this...

thats what i tought but yaustar was right it
was for nothing i cant even make a pong
game but it was fun to see what those dev's
use to make commercial games even if you
don't understand a thing of it but maybe
there will come something good out of it if
someone with more experience with coding
can make some good games out of it :thumbup:
(maybe yaustar) :D

sony-bau
November 30th, 2007, 20:10
a little expensive?!!!

Produkt
December 2nd, 2007, 17:39
You'd be surprised, I was able to attain a copy of the reality engine (currently owned by Epic)when I prosed that I was the lead artist for a new development studio.

Within 2 days they sent me information on how to get into the trial system and 2 demonstration keys.

You might get away with it :P