PDA

View Full Version : gpSP0.8 kai 2.6 (GBA Emulator for PSP)

wraggster
December 13th, 2006, 17:14
Tfact (http://www.tfact.jp/psp/wiki/) has released a new Unnoficial Version of Exophases excellent GBA Emulator for the PSP.

Heres whats new via translation

Because the bug of vram became matter of concern, release You abandoned the English translation of the document

The bug correction of kai 2.5 vram reading 込/bug correction when writing in (re-correction)
When reading 込/writing in 0x18000, correction vram correcting the fact that part it is destructive, Replacement of RL channel of sound (gbc interchangeable sound correction) (from 96 people)

Acceleration/optimization
 [chitokodo] usually was turned to OFF, If it is necessary, make - with e " OPT=-DCHEAT " please build Deleting the unnecessary variable operation of the main loop mips_stub. It tried the portion of S to use delay slot, (from 182 people) mips_stub. It developed the macro of S and tried to use delay slot

New correspondence
It tried the Momotarou electric railway to move, (from 5 people)
Expansion
 Addition of debug mode
  make - debug mode is added by building with e " OPT=-DDEBUG_MODE "
  At the △+ top and bottom it is indication mode change with picture size as debug
  There is no mode 0 indication
  Same period doing in the mode 1 VBALNK interruption, it indicates
  Same period doing in the mode 2 HBLANK interruption, it indicates

for eLoader
 It tried not to set the clock
   It is thought that it starts with the clock which sets with eloader

About the option when building
  The executable files for 1.5 it draws up with make kxploit
  make - Option is set with e " OPT=~ "
   OPT=-DDEBUG_MODE debugging mode
   OPT=-DCHEAT [chito] validity
   OPT=-DELOADER eLoader correspondence
  Example) for 1.5 drawing up the executable file in eLoader, debugging and [chito] correspondence
   make kxploit - e " OPT=-DDEBUG_MODE - DCHEAT - DELOADER "

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

SpacemanSpiff
December 13th, 2006, 17:26
In before haters

ExcruciationX
December 13th, 2006, 17:30
I wonder if Exophase has anything to say about this.

Vega
December 13th, 2006, 17:46
hmmm . . . so this is yet another unofficial release from a different guy? Seems like unofficial releases of this great emu are occuring quite regularly. Still . . . no harm at all if this guy got in touch with Exophase before hand.

PSP 101
December 13th, 2006, 18:20
This emulater gets better with every release.

Mr.Modem
December 13th, 2006, 19:08
It's nice to see that this guy keeps releasing these unofficial versions so regularly. I don't understand why people always post negative comments about his releases. I mean Exophase have released the code to the public and as long as Tfact does that too I don't see why people should complain. He seems to be a very competent coder and his updates are great so I really don't see why so many people still waits for the official version. Get this now people!

Vega
December 13th, 2006, 19:13
erm, I got it wrong.. I thought this was someone totally different guy, my mistake.

Anyhoo . . . yea . . I still await exophases words on this one.

Apoklepz
December 13th, 2006, 19:18
It's nice to see that this guy keeps releasing these unofficial versions so regularly. I don't understand why people always post negative comments about his releases. I mean Exophase have released the code to the public and as long as Tfact does that too I don't see why people should complain. He seems to be a very competent coder and his updates are great so I really don't see why so many people still waits for the official version. Get this now people!

Agreed.

Vega
December 13th, 2006, 19:18
I see.

Well have we got any noticable changes?

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
December 13th, 2006, 19:27
does anyone know where exophases went

Apoklepz
December 13th, 2006, 19:28
Well, for one...it supports non filter modes and runs all the games like Exophase's last updated version, so... I don't know you, but that's why I got it in my stick. I like how non filter mode looks better...not so blurry.

Exophase...? I think he's in the bathroom, but he'll be right out. lol
...let the man code when he can, and we'll all soon get something.

tophead420
December 13th, 2006, 19:33
well i can say this much wait for gpSP 0.9 becuase it will be so much better then these kia releases i mean no offense but it will blow this version out of the water lol plus i havent noticed a single difference since the official 0.8 releases so thats why im gonna wait and dont worry about Exophase im sure he's fine and im sure he is still working on his great emu so dont worry

xg917
December 13th, 2006, 19:51
either way, i am going to use the kai releases until the new official version, because it wont realy matter what we use until that time comes.. hey can this play gb or gbc games? or only gba..

gunntims0103
December 13th, 2006, 19:57
i see exophase around on msn and aim, buts he's a grown man so i dont think he primarily codes gpsp all the time. so its understandible not to see him around from time to time.

With that said im still looking forward to exophases release.

M-Lin
December 13th, 2006, 20:11
well i can say this much wait for gpSP 0.9 becuase it will be so much better then these kia releases i mean no offense but it will blow this version out of the water lol plus i havent noticed a single difference since the official 0.8 releases so thats why im gonna wait and dont worry about Exophase im sure he's fine and im sure he is still working on his great emu so dont worry

All the best to Exophase this is his baby and it's a charmer - but this update (first kai I've tried) is slightly better - and slightly better is still better!

Exab
December 13th, 2006, 20:12
well usually Exophase comments on all these unofficial releases.

As he already stated, these releases are "bad" because, first of all, the other guy could simply cooperate with Exophase instead of putting out code whenever he wants to.

Exo has already stated that most of the stuff that is modified in those unofficial releases are already in his work in progress next release and that he doesn't like the quality of the modified code.

Just let him finish his stuff, he wants to release something good and solid, just don't piss him off or the only thing you'l get are unofficial releases.

Exophase seems like a great dev, IIRC, he came out of nowhere, with one hell of a good GBA emulator, he's not an attention whore like most others, so I respect him and you guys should do the same.

Veskgar
December 13th, 2006, 20:20
Does this fix the bug(s) in Superstar Saga?

I wonder if Exophase has anything to say about this.
I'm sure he will. It will depend on how this guy implemented the code.

I don't understand why people always post negative comments about his releases.
Again, I think it is because it causes more work and delays on official versions of this emulator. Exophase has not stopped working on gpSP but people think he has because of releases like this.

Well have we got any noticeable changes?
Yeah, good question. I mean are any games noticeably faster. Do games that crashed before now work? etc. etc. I think most people will await Exophases official release unless this guy can really add significant changes.

does anyone know where exophases went
It didn't go anywhere. Its being readied to shock the world...

well i can say this much wait for gpSP 0.9 because it will be so much better then these kia releases i mean no offense but it will blow this version out of the water lol plus i haven't noticed a single difference since the official 0.8 releases
I think you are right. No, I know you are right.

well usually Exophase comments on all these unofficial releases.

As he already stated, these releases are "bad" because, first of all, the other guy could simply cooperate with Exophase instead of putting out code whenever he wants to.

Exo has already stated that most of the stuff that is modified in those unofficial releases are already in his work in progress next release and that he doesn't like the quality of the modified code.

Just let him finish his stuff, he wants to release something good and solid, just don't piss him off or the only thing you'l get are unofficial releases.

Exophase seems like a great dev, IIRC, he came out of nowhere, with one hell of a good GBA emulator, he's not an attention whore like most others, so I respect him and you guys should do the same.
I couldn't have said it better. I believe Exophase refers to it as "forking the code" which makes it much more difficult than letting Exophase add it himself. Also, guys, gpSP is still a BETA believe it or not. I know its so damn good that yyou would not think it is a BETA but still. Unofficial releases on a W.I.P. still in BETA? I don't think that is right.

Here a list of changes since he started:
Thank you for listing all of the changes. That is very helpful. However, All of that and more will be more than likely in the next official version of gpSP.

homemade
December 13th, 2006, 20:22

-Faster save states
-All four Jap Super robot wars game works
-Scurge Hive works
-demikids works
-ability 2 change config for analog
-fixed a bug which made shining force placed an invisible wall in front of the church at the start of the game and i couldn't continue
-more video modes (although it's not really helpful but i'm pretty sure someone in the world uses them lol).
Well thats all i can think of rite now but thats still a nice amount of things he did, so u guys stop putting the guy down so much (well some of u anyway).

darthhaze420
December 13th, 2006, 20:43
i have the last exophase release is this worth swaping or should i keep the old 1

Vibestar
December 13th, 2006, 20:57
runs smooth like the wind.......

240-185
December 13th, 2006, 21:13
OK, tried it.
This version can't save my button settings :/

Joe100517
December 13th, 2006, 21:13
I tried FF5A on the kai release just before this one and it was actually running worse, so I deleted it and just stuck with Exophase's original.... from his explanations on the other thread, it seems like this guy tinkering in the emulator doesn't seem to have a good idea of what he's doing and is changing weird things.

Exophase
December 13th, 2006, 22:23
I have to figure out what he did first, no English readme this time (and the automated translation is garbage). I'll be running diffs. If he fixed something in mips_stub.S then it might be good (although I've rewritten most of it by now, and might have catched it anyway)

From the translation, all that SEEMS apparent is that he fixed the VRAM bug he introduced last time and added a debug mode (for people debugging gpSP itself, not really useful, maybe I'm missing something with it though)

I'm still working on the official gpSP but time is against me :(

Sharkey
December 13th, 2006, 22:28
No rush big guy. We understand how hard free time is to come by sometimes, especially with a family.I have plenty to play for now anyways, although I'll still wait for yours before I reinstall it. Mostly because I'm lazy. :p

Good luck with it. :)

siulmagic
December 13th, 2006, 22:29
great release

Vega
December 13th, 2006, 22:32
yea Exophase . . no rush man. Anyone would want quality over time than a rushed effort (tho I do believe u wouldnt rush any work) so yeah man . . . take ur sweeT time :D

Avenyet
December 13th, 2006, 22:47
nice work kia atleast his updates a regular shame hes only bug fixing he/she seems like a good coder shame he couldn't just make a 0.9 version but bug fixes are very important too

ExcruciationX
December 13th, 2006, 22:52
I have to figure out what he did first, no English readme this time (and the automated translation is garbage). I'll be running diffs. If he fixed something in mips_stub.S then it might be good (although I've rewritten most of it by now, and might have catched it anyway)

From the translation, all that SEEMS apparent is that he fixed the VRAM bug he introduced last time and added a debug mode (for people debugging gpSP itself, not really useful, maybe I'm missing something with it though)

I'm still working on the official gpSP but time is against me :(
Don't rush, Exo (Do you mind if I call you Exo?). I say you need a break. :)

tuta
December 13th, 2006, 23:29
yea don't rush and take yer time to release a good one we wont be complaining

Veskgar
December 14th, 2006, 00:15
In before haters
What was the point of that post?

nice work kia atleast his updates a regular shame hes only bug fixing he/she seems like a good coder shame he couldn't just make a 0.9 version but bug fixes are very important too
Dude, he fixed bugs that he introduced. So hes fixing his own bugs, not bugs from Exophases code.

From what I understand, Exophase has already identified and corrected the bug that caused Shining Force: Dark Resurrection to have invisible walls.

It really appears that the author of this kai release is just tweaking the code to get a few select games to work. But this is being done in a way that can easily break other games so that is not worth it to me.

Exophase knows how to implement this stuff better without breaking something else so I don't think this unofficial release is all that special.

The_It
December 14th, 2006, 00:22
still can't save final fantasy V, if it actually can, please tell me how.

Veskgar
December 14th, 2006, 00:29
still can't save final fantasy V, if it actually can, please tell me how.
Are you referring to the in game saves or save states?

The_It
December 14th, 2006, 00:30
in game saves

The_It
December 14th, 2006, 00:35
sweet! i was trying to open continue, not load file

xg917
December 14th, 2006, 01:48
0.9 im waiting for, but dont worry i definatly have patience :) =] im already happy with 0.8. i gave kai a try and.. i didnt like it, there was something about it... it felt slower to me O.o

SpacemanSpiff
December 14th, 2006, 02:12
What was the point of that post?

His last release got flamed by a lot of posters, even though it improved some things over the official version. Personally I think its good to see some updates while waiting for the next official release, but I guess other people dont agree.

kiariki
December 14th, 2006, 02:49
... The turtle and the hare... The hare, faster, loses to the turtle. >_> Although I mean it in quality. I think I gave the first kai release a try but I didn't like it. Ever since, I've still been using Exophase's original emulator.

And to Exophase: Life is far more important. Do what thou must first!

Veskgar
December 14th, 2006, 03:09
His last release got flamed by a lot of posters, even though it improved some things over the official version. Personally I think its good to see some updates while waiting for the next official release, but I guess other people dont agree.
Well first off let me say that I too get very eager and anxious over new releases. Especially when it comes to something as huge as gpSP.

However, I still stand that unofficial releases of an ongoing work in progress still considered a BETA by its original creator are pointless and can create confusion. gpSP isn't some port. Its written from scratch and Exophase knows it best.

Understandable
December 14th, 2006, 05:03
I hope breath of fire 2 works on the next release

Exophase
December 14th, 2006, 05:09
I hope breath of fire 2 works on the next release

I'm pretty sure it works in 0.8 (of course you might need the legitimate BIOS)

But I can't figure out why anyone would want to play it, when the SNES version is superior.

Anyway, more about this release. The readme says something about mips_stub.S and branch delay slots so I thought he maybe did a critical modification to it, but alas, it wasn't changed. Nothing much changed here, a few things that probably don't affect any games, and something that fixes one very broken game that never should have had this in the first place (yay). Of course, again, this is something I already addressed weeks ago, but people are too impatient and can't respect the fact that I want the releases of gpSP to actually be significant. There's a debug mode which is all but useless to people playing the game, and he added a bunch of Japanese games to game_config.txt. Some that were already there..

He also commented out a bunch of variables I use for debugging, and some ++'s in very noncritcal places, maybe thinking he was optimizing the emulator somehow. And more aggrivating, he arbitrarily changed my bracket style in a few places, for instance:

if(dispstat & 0x10)
irq_raised |= IRQ_HBLANK;
}
else
{

if(update_input())
return execute_cycles;

In 0.8, now

if(dispstat & 0x10)
} else {

if (update_input()) {
return execute_cycles;
}

And some other places. Which is of course makes the code style inconsistent and is actually really disrespectful. When you work on someone else's project you should use their coding style in the code YOU write, but arbitrarily changing the style of the code THEY write is a slap in the face. Of course, I don't expect the non-programmers here to understand this, especially SpacemanSpiff who will just call me a jerk and go back to praising a release where he doesn't even know what was changed. Whatever.

Of course, I released the source and that means I forfeit my right to complain about people doing whatever they please with it, I've heard it a billion times already. Then again, the people who praise the release are the ones who say "you should have made it closed source to begin with." I bet if I closed the source for next release they'd all be whining about that too.

PSPCulture
December 14th, 2006, 09:01
Which is of course makes the code style inconsistent and is actually really disrespectful. When you work on someone else's project you should use their coding style in the code YOU write, but arbitrarily changing the style of the code THEY write is a slap in the face. Of course, I don't expect the non-programmers here to understand this, especially SpacemanSpiff who will just call me a jerk and go back to praising a release where he doesn't even know what was changed. Whatever.

So lets get this straight, you released the source code for gPSP and someone has taken that source, changed a bit of bracketing in the code, removed some debug code, added some lines to a config file (most of which were already there) and then released it to the public?

If I were you I'd be withdrawing the source from the next release. If someone is going to modify your source code while you are still working on the project, they should be liasing with you on what changes they have made, and whether it moves the project forward in a suitable direction.

If source code is released, and someone works on that source code and finds a major efficiency gain, that information should be passed back to the original author, so it can be applied to the official development.

The only time a third party should start releasing their own version of a program is when the orignal author has ceased development on the software.

That, of course, is my opinion on the matter. I may be wrong, but if someone at work did that to me on my code that I am still developing, I'd be having a quiet word in their ear. Help and advice yes, underhand changing and releasing of code, no. Maybe its the 10+ years of software development that have given me an undue sense of right and wrong when it comes to source etiquette.

240-185
December 14th, 2006, 10:42
You missed the point .

I don't think that deleting a "Return" in the code improves efficiency. (Sorry, I'm French, and I don't know how to turn it in English :D) In fact, that DOES NOT improve efficiency.

What Exophase regrets is that his own code is modified for some weird esthetical reasons.

Expohase> Can you have a look once more in the code of Kai 2.6 in order to see why it can't save the button settings ? (In the official 0.8 version, I set the menu button with SQUARE and the FastForward feature with TRIANGLE, and this Kai version does not keep these :'()

Veskgar
December 14th, 2006, 12:17
If source code is released, and someone works on that source code and finds a major efficiency gain, that information should be passed back to the original author, so it can be applied to the official development.

The only time a third party should start releasing their own version of a program is when the orignal author has ceased development on the software.
Great post man. That is exactly how it seems Exophase feels on the matter. And its how a lot of other fans of gpSP feel as well. So it is really great to see another coder comment like you have on this.

I don't know for sure, but these kai releases could be slowing the official gpSP down a tad. And nobody wants that.

sheng
December 14th, 2006, 13:29
He also commented out a bunch of variables I use for debugging, and some ++'s in very noncritcal places, maybe thinking he was optimizing the emulator somehow. And more aggrivating, he arbitrarily changed my bracket style in a few places, for instance:

if(dispstat & 0x10)
}
else
{

if(update_input())
return execute_cycles;

In 0.8, now

if(dispstat & 0x10)
} else {

if (update_input()) {
return execute_cycles;
}

>.> OMG I can't believe that he made changes like that... in what way will it improve the emulator? lesser lines XD I don't think so... anyway... great to hear from you... I may look into the code see if I can pick up anything... ^_^

240-185: it may be the code that are been modded have distroied a loop that was there before... it should be a easy fix... but I don't think you'll need to bother much about it cause most likely the guy modding now have addressed it and have another release later...

Oops
December 14th, 2006, 13:45
You missed the point . [...] What Exophase regrets is that his own code is modified for some weird esthetical reasons. [..]

Maybe you should re-read carefully Exophase interventions about this, because obviously you missed the whole point.

Lodis
December 14th, 2006, 14:43
Maybe you should re-read carefully Exophase interventions about this, because obviously you missed the whole point.
Exophase has said time and time again that he wishes anyone who modifies the source to contact him first and basically to show a bit of respect. Repeatedly, respect has not been shown and he has had to go through code to see what has been changed only to find that either he had already made these changes or the changes didn't actually do anything significant or causes problems elsewhere. In my opinion, the next versions of gpSP should be made closed source since it seems no one is listening to his very basic requests. Perhaps that will make them learn a lesson to be honest.

Ramza042
December 14th, 2006, 22:20

-Faster save states
-All four Jap Super robot wars game works
-Scurge Hive works
-demikids works
-ability 2 change config for analog
-fixed a bug which made shining force placed an invisible wall in front of the church at the start of the game and i couldn't continue

if he fixed that shining force bug, it sure could have fooled me. I still get stuck in the church. :rofl: :confused: Oh yea, and final fantasy 5 runs like crap now too without a frameskip of like 9. Which version you using, man? the eloader or the 1.0/1.5?

ryoko44
December 14th, 2006, 23:03
Kingdom hearts chain of memories works now the opening cutscene is kinda messed up but it works

s075933
December 15th, 2006, 00:46
Waiting for official emu

tsurumaru
December 15th, 2006, 13:28
Waiting for official emu

Well you didn't have to wait long ;)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46046

lionheart929
December 24th, 2006, 16:14
whys it keep sayin corrupted file on my psp