PDA

View Full Version : Modern teenagers are practically mute. Videogames to blame

wraggster
December 13th, 2006, 20:27
via the guardian (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2006/12/13/modern_teenagers_are_practically_mute_videogames_t o_blame.html)

New research conducted by Professor Tony McEnery of Lancaster University, reveals that today's teenagers have a measley vocabulary of just over 12,600 words compared with the 21,400 words available to the average 25 to 34 year-old. Apparently the word sequences 'but no' and 'no but' appear almost twice as frequently in teenage speech than in everyone else's, leading to fears that we're rolling out a nation of Vicky Pollards.

What's to blame? 'Technology isolation syndrome,' asserts Professor McEnery. Kids these days spend too long locked into their own worlds, cut off by personal MP3 players and games consoles. Consequently, I suspect, they are now only able to communicate in the form of track listings and videogame mission briefings.

Ah, if only this were the case. You never hear Solid Snake struggling to communicate an unamusing anecdote involving Trevor Dilton and that slag Jane Green behind the Shell garage on Princes Street. Although to be fair, I did skip a lot of the cut-scenes in MGS2, I could have missed something.

Veskgar
December 13th, 2006, 20:40
I don't really understand those paragraphs above. I guess I need to put my PSP down and expand my vocabulary. :-)

jwilds73
December 13th, 2006, 20:42
I have my nephew's say things like "more better" and "won't nobody" just to annoy their parent's.

splodger15
December 13th, 2006, 20:49
that we're rolling out a nation of Vicky Pollards.

I think that is very true and i go with that one although Vicky Pollard is funny

ikarimaru
December 13th, 2006, 21:15
Where should I start picking this article apart? Oh! Here's a good spot:

New research conducted by Professor Tony McEnery of Lancaster University, reveals that today's teenagers have a measley vocabulary of just over 12,600 words compared with the 21,400 words available to the average 25 to 34 year-old.

Essentially this part of the article is comparing teenagers, by virtue of prefix, somewhere in the 13 to 19 range, to adults in the 25 to 34 range. Due to this comparison, this article already loses all credibility. These are two drastically different age groups. I, personally, know that during my teenage years I had less command of the English language than I do now. I guess attending college and becoming older can do that to a fellow.

What's to blame? 'Technology isolation syndrome,' asserts Professor McEnery. Kids these days spend too long locked into their own worlds, cut off by personal MP3 players and games consoles. Consequently, I suspect, they are now only able to communicate in the form of track listings and videogame mission briefings.

Remember those forgotten relics called "books"? I'm sure they ran a similar article about "book isolation syndrome". My oh my, we should look into this. My father is an avid reader. My mother is an avid reader. However, I am not an avid reader. Is this to say that since I don't spend time with my nose in a book that I may have increased verbal eloquence as compared to my parents? Granted, books have much influence on someone's command of the English language, but same point, different example.

Ah, if only this were the case. You never hear Solid Snake struggling to communicate an unamusing anecdote involving Trevor Dilton and that slag Jane Green behind the Shell garage on Princes Street. Although to be fair, I did skip a lot of the cut-scenes in MGS2, I could have missed something.

I'm having a rather difficult time typing this response due the continued image of Snake with a drawn gun in a crouched position, standing between them and looking back and forth at them with a puzzled look on his face.

ExcruciationX
December 13th, 2006, 21:59
Bullshit! Me got an exellent vocabulary! :P

Veskgar
December 13th, 2006, 22:08
Where should I start picking this article apart?
ha ha, its great the way you pick these articles apart like this.

TheEmulatorGuy
December 13th, 2006, 22:35
If this man had any idea what he was talking about, he'd attribute it to text messaging:

wen r u cming ovr kkkkk

This is because people are only using the words their friends use, and even if their friends know more words than them, they definitely aren't going to waste their time text them.

Video games actually teach new words, and I don't know what video games he did the test on, but I assure you they weren't any RPGs, and definitely not Metal Gear Solid. Here's some excerpts from MGS:

propulsion, equipped, sonar detection capability, dismantled, supervisory, infiltrate, mercenary.

They're not difficult words, and they're common knowledge (I didn't have the time to search for better ones LOL), but you would not see them in text messaging. If anything is to blame, it is NOT video games.

ikarimaru
December 13th, 2006, 22:44
ha ha, its great the way you pick these articles apart like this.

Ahahahah, it's fun to do... someone has to play the honorable opposition, right? ;) It's all in jest.

Makaveli777
December 13th, 2006, 23:13
If anything videogames increased my vocabulary. I was playing rpg's when I was like 6. As we all know RPGs require alot of reading (at least before voice acting was included) and there were many words I didn't know but learned in order to understand whats going on in the game.

Jonesyxxiv
December 13th, 2006, 23:45
If anything videogames increased my vocabulary. I was playing rpg's when I was like 6. As we all know RPGs require alot of reading (at least before voice acting was included) and there were many words I didn't know but learned in order to understand whats going on in the game.

Same with me. Several times this year there have been words that a large majority of people in my class didn't know and I knew from videogames.

Edit: some exaples: 1. Many kids in my Advanced Placement U.S. History class didnt know what a faction was. I just thought of red faction. (this shows me that many teenages seem to have a bad vocabulary because faction is an easy word, and the only kid who really knew what one was also happend to be the only gamer. Seems like videogames are the only thing that keep me ABOVE others)

2. A girl in my study period was looking over vocab for her SAT reveiw class. She didnt know what Enigma ment, but I just thought of the Enigma machines form the Medal of Honor games.(so video games dont only help with vocab but with history as well.)

iniquitous_beast
December 14th, 2006, 00:27
Why do we allow these university studies to be published? Universities are full of people who are constantly trying to prove themselves right among their peers. Hell, even students are often asked to try to find "new" ways to interpret classic literature. Of course this professor could have simply attributed our poor vocabularies to America's failing educational system, but everyone already knows that. He needed to come to a radically different conclusion in order to get his study noticed.

Congratulations, your study has been noticed. Your role in the controvercy over video games has been played. Now you get to sit on the sidelines while people take your "research" way too seriously. Honestly, this is how old wives get their tales.

PSP 101
December 14th, 2006, 00:55
What a bunch BULL.

Broadus
December 14th, 2006, 01:53
Teenagers don't talk enough? They have a limited vocabulary, even?
Man, oh, man, they do not know any of MY friends. Though none of my friends like MMORPGs so I'm not sure what to say about kids that do like MMORPGs.
iniquitous_beast is too right. More people trying to feel special by targeting video games as something horrible that should be avoided because they somehow inspire stupidity or violence.

quzar
December 14th, 2006, 02:26
Every person I know who considers themselves a "gamer" has a horrible vocabulary and can barely spell. I've gone to conventions, traveled the web far and wide, and especially if these forums are any indication, yes, it's quite true. (yes, I know that sentence's construction was fairly poor)

Some of you say that videogames have improved your vocabulary, but moreso than other activities would? Even watching TV increases vocabulary more than videogames do.

kiariki
December 14th, 2006, 02:37
Every person I know who considers themselves a "gamer" has a horrible vocabulary and can barely spell. I've gone to conventions, traveled the web far and wide, and especially if these forums are any indication, yes, it's quite true. (yes, I know that sentence's construction was fairly poor)

Some of you say that videogames have improved your vocabulary, but moreso than other activities would? Even watching TV increases vocabulary more than videogames do.

O.o o.O Are you... bashing in the right place? Heh heh...

Actually, I must admit that whenever I ended any session of DragonBallZ: SuperSonic Warriors (for GBA), for some reason I felt very, very dumb and lame. I wouldn't be surprised if someone caught me with my tongue wagging...

On contrast, after a session of playing any Fire Emblem game, I'm always alert and calculative- Always trying to figure out the best way and/or the right way to do something in the shortest amount of time.

Towards vocabulary... Dragon Quest III taught me what a shoal was! :D

NOTE: Some of you might really want to recheck your posts... Many of them have grammatical errors! :rofl: Of course, everyone's trying to type fast but it's funny how ironic it is...

TheEmulatorGuy
December 14th, 2006, 05:19
NOTE: Some of you might really want to recheck your posts... Many of them have grammatical errors! :rofl: Of course, everyone's trying to type fast but it's funny how ironic it is...

Grammar is completely different to vocabulary.

ExcruciationX
December 14th, 2006, 05:28
What about me? I can spell just fine.

quzar
December 14th, 2006, 05:54
What about me? I can spell just fine.

You didn't remember me in your 200000 member thread, why should I remember you now? =P

ExcruciationX
December 14th, 2006, 07:20
You didn't remember me in your 200000 member thread, why should I remember you now? =P
I actually did, but I'm a lazy person, so I didn't feel like adding you.

pkmusicmaker
December 14th, 2006, 07:57
It's true that technology is sort of dumbing people down. Instead of being social, people are just sticking headphones on or playing games. I personally only do things like that in situations where there's really no other options (like the DMV, a solo train/bus ride, or even killing time between classes). But people are getting carried away and kids are being raised by parents who are just happy their kids are being quiet and not annoying them. Hopefully this can be fixed, but I don't see how.

R4mbo
December 14th, 2006, 07:58
Where should I start picking this article apart? Oh! Here's a good spot:

New research conducted by Professor Tony McEnery of Lancaster University, reveals that today's teenagers have a measley vocabulary of just over 12,600 words compared with the 21,400 words available to the average 25 to 34 year-old.

Essentially this part of the article is comparing teenagers, by virtue of prefix, somewhere in the 13 to 19 range, to adults in the 25 to 34 range. Due to this comparison, this article already loses all credibility. These are two drastically different age groups. I, personally, know that during my teenage years I had less command of the English language than I do now. I guess attending college and becoming older can do that to a fellow.

Remember those forgotten relics called "books"? I'm sure they ran a similar article about "book isolation syndrome". My oh my, we should look into this. My father is an avid reader. My mother is an avid reader. However, I am not an avid reader. Is this to say that since I don't spend time with my nose in a book that I may have increased verbal eloquence as compared to my parents? Granted, books have much influence on someone's command of the English language, but same point, different example.

I'm having a rather difficult time typing this response due the continued image of Snake with a drawn gun in a crouched position, standing between them and looking back and forth at them with a puzzled look on his face.

You're right! Also they forgot about Onlinegames, Teamspeak, etc. It's just someone again, which want's attention, and is talking such bullshit to get some.

benn
December 14th, 2006, 08:28
what a load of crap. i was a mute teenager and the only thing i could enjoy was my commodore 64.... oh right.

dwarrior
December 14th, 2006, 09:29
I'm Begian, my native language is Dutch.
In school we learn English, French and German.
I'm horrible at French and German and have about a 50/50 chance of failing those classes each year. But somehow, I find English very easy and pass it with ease (A, A+).
What's the difference? I play videogames, watch movies and listen to music. All in english of course (nobody bothers to translate anything into Dutch, only 20mil people speak it).

That's proof that playing videogames actually helps me learn English. And if it helps me, why not Americans?

Psyberjock
December 14th, 2006, 10:14

I'm sorry that you only know morons. I guess misery really does love company. But in the case of your experience and gamers, I would have to disagree. I'm a university graduate with a degree in English living abroad in Japan and teaching English to high school students. I would argue that my vocabulary is larger than most simply because that's my job.

That being said, I'm also an avid gamer and I love this site and homebrew. I like games enough that I try to read this site everyday for 5-10 minutes. Granted I don't go to conventions and I think that's one of your problems. You hang out in all the places that you'd find the people described by this article.

Stop traveling the web and try to start traveling the world. You'll meet much more interesting and intelligent people.

Shinebi
December 14th, 2006, 13:23
OK, so why did SEGA give us a lazy, dubbed port of Yakuza? Because the majority of English-speaking gamers cant' be bothered with reading subtitles.

You know who you are....

(Just an example as how the developpers actually keep this in mind, instead of giving us cultural enlightenment.)

Uruz 6
December 14th, 2006, 13:31

I consider myself a gamer (been playing since I was 8 - good old nintendo - and now I'm 21) and I've actually learned english through videogames (I'm italian);

Aside from the points ikarimaru made - nice job -, don't you think it's far too easy to attack videogames - what about parents who allow their kids to play 5 hours per time? - because that's what causes isolation, not the games per se - and what of those who never showed a good book to their kids?

I think people blaming videogames for violence and isolation are really trying to avoid taking the responsabilities they should as the ones who created these problems for the kids.

ikarimaru
December 14th, 2006, 13:36
I'm Begian, my native language is Dutch.
In school we learn English, French and German.
I'm horrible at French and German and have about a 50/50 chance of failing those classes each year. But somehow, I find English very easy and pass it with ease (A, A+).
What's the difference? I play videogames, watch movies and listen to music. All in english of course (nobody bothers to translate anything into Dutch, only 15mil people speak it).

That's proof that playing videogames actually helps me learn English. And if it helps me, why not Americans?

That's awesome! I personally know I couldn't learn a language in this manner. Well, maybe if I watch enough Fellini films I could learn Italian... hmmmm... Congratulations! :)

Shinebi
December 14th, 2006, 13:41
Same here, Antwerp native. But don't forget Ninty, they spoil the lil' uns with their translations.

quzar
December 14th, 2006, 16:42
I'm sorry that you only know morons. I guess misery really does love company. But in the case of your experience and gamers, I would have to disagree. I'm a university graduate with a degree in English living abroad in Japan and teaching English to high school students. I would argue that my vocabulary is larger than most simply because that's my job.

That being said, I'm also an avid gamer and I love this site and homebrew. I like games enough that I try to read this site everyday for 5-10 minutes. Granted I don't go to conventions and I think that's one of your problems. You hang out in all the places that you'd find the people described by this article.

Stop traveling the web and try to start traveling the world. You'll meet much more interesting and intelligent people.

So, by your statement I would take it that you think that all stupid gamers are only so online? That is, because you seem to imply I'll meet more intelligent gamers if I were to start travelling the world. Also, I have travelled the world quite a bit, got maybe 10 countries under my belt over 3 continents, modest but I'm still quite young. I've also seen most all of the states in the continental US. I know plenty of extremely intelligent, articulate, worldly people who play videogames, but i don't think any of them would call themselves a 'gamer'.

iniquitous_beast
December 14th, 2006, 17:37
Quzar - I would like to know your exact definition of "Gamer". My definition of "Gamer" is "one who plays video games on a regular basis". That is a category into which I fit. I am assuming that your definition implies someone much more hardcore, but I would like to hear it from you.

quzar
December 14th, 2006, 17:51
Quzar - I would like to know your exact definition of "Gamer". My definition of "Gamer" is "one who plays video games on a regular basis". That is a category into which I fit. I am assuming that your definition implies someone much more hardcore, but I would like to hear it from you.

A gamer is anyone who defines themselves as a gamer above anything else. What criteria they use can fluctuate wildly.

raziso
December 14th, 2006, 18:06
i think a lot of you might be forgetting the difference between a speaking vocabulary and a reading vocabulary.

In addition, by attending university an average person's reading vocabulary is increased about three to five times to that of a person who has not. therefore, it would only make sense why a person age 23-38 (or whatever the article said) would have a higher vocabulary than the average teenager. They have lived longer and have been exposed to more media!

NeoXCS
December 14th, 2006, 22:18
I'm 17 and I consider myself a gamer. My vocabulary is much more extensive than most others my age. I, myself, believe that this study is a bit unfair. The age difference would lead to skewed results. It is only simple logic to understand most people who have been to a University or College would have a much greater vocabulary than a highschool student on average. :p

Khorney
December 16th, 2006, 15:12
and it doesnt mention the target demographic of 'teenagers' i mean, some are going to increase the average, while others bring it down, i imagine its to do with their background, parents, school etc. and how do you measure how many words someone can speak? most pointless study ever

shadowprophet
December 17th, 2006, 10:15
First of all. I avoided this topic, I really think its insulting to any intelligence to give this topic any form of consideration.

Since the dawn of media entertainment, there have always been conservative party's that frown on basically any topic that will grant them attention. even among the educated there will always be people willing to hit below the belt for just a few minuets in the lime light.
and these people continue to test there limits of what society will tolerate.

Case in point. videogames are a controversial topic, so what better way to garner some attention then dissecting a popular issue.
In truth, If charity and helping ones fellow man where as wide spread and far reaching as media entertainment and gaming. There would still be completely off base left wing theorists that damned well know better, but would still concoct a formula attempting to prove that charity and care for ones fellow man lead to cancer impudence, and male pattern balding.
Its ludicrous, I for the life of me cant figure out why people see fit to entertain such absurd ideas.

Im sure many people can identify with this, But i have a niece right now who would have no interesting in reading (what so ever) if it wasn't for animal crossing.
To be more accurate about this. yes there are games out there intended for children. and sometimes we teens and adults in our blind love for videogames will play them. that doesn't reflect our intelligence, rather our love for this hobby that we all share.
there are many games out there that only serve to expand ones vocabulary.

If the entire legacy of kain series doesn't have one running to the dictionary, from time to time, the only answer is there parents or teachers cared enough about them to make them study.
Its time we, not just the accusers. But all of us took the time to realize that the real problems in the world aren't caused by video games. The beginning of the problem is not caring enough to stop your child and have them do there homework.
In short. If a parent relies on television to teach there children. Then what right do they have to complain when little tracy can tell them where the world seven warp whistle is before she can do long division.

Upon reflection, this infuriates me. for years and years we and others in the video game community have been screaming, MAKE LITTLE TRACE DO HER HOMEWORK FIRST! THEN LET HER PLAY GAMES!!!
But I assume parents would rather place the responsibility of raising there kids on kirby.
People who truly believe that videogames are the problem with today's youths should be ashamed of there selves!!

It's apparent that if some influence like a video games has a stronger hold over there children then there parents do. that it must be the parents themselves to blame. I've never seen a Tv or video game console that didn't have an off switch..
The end..

@ Q, Your my bro, you know I think the world of you:thumbup: . But your just mistaken about this. while videogames may not do that much to help. even you must admit some parents just don't moderate there children's entertainment like they should. Video gaming is in no way a substitute for education. In any way shape or form, But the problem isn't video gaming. Its parents not limiting there children's time with them.

kjetil1991
December 23rd, 2006, 20:32
bull! i play games but i can write just fine

Digital.Mako45
December 24th, 2006, 01:44
Hahah, ditto.

(Final fantasy 7 & 8) :o

ESPECIALLY FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, GODDAMNIT