PDA

View Full Version : How much did Nintendo pay for wii.com?

wraggster
December 13th, 2006, 20:37
Via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/13/how-much-did-nintendo-pay-for-wii-com/)

Six months ago Nintendo sent an informal email to Weyerhaeuser, a Washington paper company, asking about the availability of their wii.com domain. Subsequent offers and counteroffers followed before a final purchase was made. So how much did Nintendo end up paying for the fancy domain name to be used by their newest console? Redding reports: "How much? That, apparently, will remain a mystery. Terms of the financial agreement dated Aug. 8 included a nondisclosure clause, demanded by Nintendo, to which Weyerhaeuser agreed."

Dang it! Non-disclosures always take the fun out of high-stake purchases. Still, one domain tracker estimates the URL could have easily gone for anything between $5,000 to $250,000. But if Weyerhaeuser effectively played its "hard to get" card while giggling like a school girl crushing on the star quarterback, we'd expect that sum to be upwards of seven digits. You?

- i wish i owned the domain

Zaneblade
December 13th, 2006, 21:53
one domain tracker estimates the URL could have easily gone for anything between $5,000 to $250,000.

they could have pushed it for so much more than that...

just randomly... fyreball.com just went for $8,000.... so the lower end of that guess is just stupid...

Weyerhaeuser must have got atleast 250,000 for it if they played even slightly hard to get... if someone said 1mill i wouldnt be surprised

lexluthor
December 14th, 2006, 01:05
I would just keep refusing to sell it until Nintendo backed out of the offer (having bid so high) At that point I would give way and go with their most recent offer (maximum cash).