PDA

View Full Version : Mac Os X?

TacticalBread
December 14th, 2006, 01:23
I'm tired of my piece of shit PC, and I was thinking about getting a Mac, but I don't know anything about the OS, as in is it compatible with games, and whatnot?

Shrinex
December 14th, 2006, 04:32
don't even try to run games on it, it has a low compatibility chart with games

get a mac pro so that you can have windows run with mac for games n' such

but, macs are usually used for graphics, due to it's stability

and macs are alot harder to upgrade/repair

Destroyer699
December 14th, 2006, 04:34
I despise Macs more than you can imagine.

Upgrade your PC to somthing nice, but don't go to Macs. Believe me....

TacticalBread
December 14th, 2006, 05:17
Well thanks for the answers. I guess I'll just upgrade my PC. As it is right now I have 7bytes of RAM. :p

Darksaviour69
December 14th, 2006, 09:24
personally, i have a p.c., but if i had the money i would get a mac too... macs are great

b8a
December 14th, 2006, 09:53
If games are the single most important facet, then a PC is almost certainly your best bet. But if you like to use your computer for other things as well, go with a mac. The newest macs (as Shrinex already pointed out) are all 100% fully PC compatible so you can switch back and forth between the two environments as much as you need to. And while macs have a reputation for being pricey (for the first initial purchase), a lot of people have pointed out that they're actually a very good deal when compared to a comparably equipped PC. Apple also gives away A LOT of very stable, very useful software with every mac sold, so that's a huge bonus to take into consideration on top of the hardware value.

My step-dad was a programmer, and growing up we always had some form of PC around the house. When windows first came out, he was sold on the system, and until I went to college, that was pretty much all I used. I took a lot of windows/PC issues for granted as hassles that you just have to put up with when working with a computer. But then I started seriously using macs in college and had to buy one for use at home. Although I loathed the idea of buying one and was very skeptical and weary of macs at first, I now think it was the best move I ever made. Macs are virtually hassle free and I never have to deal with/worry about crashes, data corruption, viruses, installation issues, software conflicts, etc, etc, etc... In close to ten years of using macs, I've only had one real crash, and that was because I accidently unplugged an external drive just as I was shutting down the system, but even then the sollution was quick, easy, and painless and I was back up and running normally again within a few hours. By comparison, ALL of the people I personally know (including very PC savy IT professionals) who use PCs exclusively have to deal with those sorts of issues on a regular basis. Several times a year, at the very least. It never really hits you just how good macs are until you're constantly talking to colleagues and friends who are always complaining about their PCs not working.

I know there are people out there that seriously enjoy dealing with all of those common PC issues, and I say more power to them, but if you start out a post with "I'm tired of my piece of shit PC", then I'd say that you're a great candidate to be a happy mac convert.

splodger15
December 14th, 2006, 10:01
If you are going to play games alot i would go with something like Alienware due to the fact that there gaming systems and are good systems but they are expensive.

Or you could just mod the computer you have now

beetroot bertie
December 14th, 2006, 11:45
I agree with b8a.

With my mac I can actually get on with doing stuff with it rather than frequent troubleshooting.

Don't get the impression that they're invulnerable though as I have had some serious problems with macs every now and then but they can usually be sorted out unless they develop some serious hardware fault.

Macs are OK for some games such as Halo, Call Of Duty 2, Medal Of Honour, Quake III etc but the choice is more limited. I don't really use my mac for games though, I tend to stick to consoles for that.

That said, Quake III over LAN and lunchtimes at work is fantastic!

TacticalBread
December 14th, 2006, 14:24
If you are going to play games alot i would go with something like Alienware due to the fact that there gaming systems and are good systems but they are expensive.

Or you could just mod the computer you have now

My friend has an Alienware, and it's a great PC, but I don't like the restrictions Alienware puts on you. You can't upgrade most stuff, like the motherboard, with out consulting them first.

I wouldn't use a computer for primarily gaming, but I'd like to be able to play some new games that are coming out, like Battlefield 2142. My computer now is pathetic for playing games. I can't even run Halo completely smoothly, and Diablo II sometimes even lags. :o

splodger15
December 14th, 2006, 15:23
Just mod your computer that you have now thats what i do to mine to play latest games at high speed

MikeDX
December 14th, 2006, 15:29
With the right software you can run osx tiger on your pc, like I do sometimes. You can also install osx onto a pc with some help... fun. :rofl:

Accordion
December 14th, 2006, 15:35
go here...haha

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45816

and on a serious note; all new macs are fully compatible with windows software...it you have an winows install of course....

just 11 days till i get my Macbook Pro woohoo!!!

b8a
December 15th, 2006, 08:45
:rofl:Well, would you look at that... This thread will now always be known as "the thread that broke MikeDX".

(my appologies... that's just the most befuddling use of a smiley that I think I've ever seen)

dagger89
December 15th, 2006, 09:03
Yea, just install OS X onto your PC and upgrade it.... and dual boot...

My laptop is fully supported, except for intel wifi....

titch.ryan
December 15th, 2006, 10:58
dont get a mac they may be fast and good for media like video editing and such like. but the compatibility with freewrae programs and games is poor. just get a decent pc.

TacticalBread
December 16th, 2006, 00:01
Yea, just install OS X onto your PC and upgrade it.... and dual boot...

My laptop is fully supported, except for intel wifi....

Are there any specific requirements for dual booting?

I know, I need a OS X CD, and I have everything else I need, but are there specific system requirements?