PDA

View Full Version : What we want from the next PSP update

wraggster
December 14th, 2006, 19:48
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/12/12/what-we-want-from-the-next-psp-update/)

If you're like me, you were somewhat underwhelmed by the 3.00 update. Maybe it was all the rumor-mongering, but I expected the latest update to feature a lot more than simple PSP-PS3 connectivity. Hopefully, someone from Sony's reading this, because this is what I'd like to see from a 3.5 or a 4.0 update.

PHOTO

It's hard to think of any improvements to the PHOTO channel, but one cool thing I'd love to see added is some "Fun" options, a la Nintendo Wii's Photo Channel. Being able to play around with the photos would be a neat way of making this feature slightly more useful. And, it would be a heck of a lot easier to do a photo puzzle on the PSP than on the Wii. Probability: Very Low
MUSIC

One of the niftiest things about Microsoft's Zune is that it allows you to share music, with restrictions. I'd love to see something similar. Users can send self-deleting DRM-protected music files to each other. The tech is there in the PSP: why not take advantage of it? Probability: Very Low
VIDEO

Unrestricted MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 support. The PSP is capable of playing video files as large as 720x480 via UMD, so clearly the hardware can handle downscaling high-res movies. The UMD market is all but dead, so why not free up this restriction? This will make video playback between PSP and PS3 nearly identical. Probability: Medium
Support for Quicktime videos. Most of Quicktime's videos are encoded in a version of MPEG that the PSP can easily decode. We should be able to play .MOV files on the PSP. Probability: Low
Support for Windows Media video. Probability: Very Low
GAME

Downloadable PSP games via the PlayStation Store. Not just PSone games, but actual PSP games. Probability: Very High
Better organization: include three folders when accessing games on Memory Stick? "Demos," "PSone," and "PSP." If you're like me, your PSP's GAME folder is bustling with way too many different files. Better organization would help a lot. Probability: Medium
Save states in PSone emulation. A lot of other emulators (like the Wii's Virtual Console) let you simply create a save state to resume at a later time. The PSP should easily be able to do the same. Probability: Medium
NETWORK

PlayStation Store! It's absolutely ridiculous that you need a PS3 in order to download games for the PSP. They need to get the PlayStation Store onto the PSP, ASAP. Of course, the PSP's wi-fi isn't really fast enough to support 500MB downloads, so an alternative would be to purchase and download a license via PSP, and then download the appropriate game files via PC. Probability: Very High
Remote Play shouldn't make the PS3 inaccessible. With eight gazillion teraflops of power, you think the PS3 would be able to multi-task. Probability: High
Downloading resuming? How frustrating is it when you're trying to download a 200MB video to your PSP, only to have the connection drop? The PSP should be intelligent enough to allow for downloads to resume. (The fact that the PS3 doesn't do this either is absolutely ridiculous!) Probability: Medium

FRIENDS

Integrate the PSP into the PlayStation Network. You should be able to access your profile and messages via PSP. You could then chat or interact with other PS3 and PSP owners. Probability: High
Allow PSP games to use the PlayStation Network. One universal log-in across your PS3 and PSP online games would be absolutely fantastic. Probability: High

What do you think about my suggestions? What would YOU add to an upcoming PSP firmware revision? Feel free to add comments!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
December 14th, 2006, 19:51
LOL is news that scarce ??? photos= possible effects such as emboss etc, perhaps a word type app added erm and no security... :)

Boardman2411
December 14th, 2006, 19:57
how about homebrew?

jak66
December 14th, 2006, 20:06
lol, homebrew, lets hope its on the list for the final update (like when they run out of room on flash0 and have to remove the security to free up space :P)

Well how about a sort of reverse remote play feature; control your PSP with your PS3 - lets you play UMD's (and possibly homebrew) on a TV, with a PS3 pad (kida like keypad redirection)

jools
December 14th, 2006, 20:28
send your list to sony as they don't seem to be very good at workin it out for themselves:)

ExcruciationX
December 14th, 2006, 20:42
how about homebrew?
Well, we know that will never happen.

KatanaPL
December 14th, 2006, 20:45
I would like to see a graphic equalizer and more music, video formats. It can be done, but SONY is SONY....

NeoXCS
December 14th, 2006, 21:28
The universal login for online games will probably never happen because each game has its own server maintained by the game's company. It's not like Xbox Live which is maintained by Microsoft itself. ;)

Tonx_9
December 14th, 2006, 22:41
i rekon when all has failed for the PSP, like when stores stop selling the consol and UMD's and sit...they should just enable homebrew cause someway or another were gonna enable it somehow with an Eloader or sumthing, they might has well just do it anyway...because sony.....YOUR NOT GONNA BEAT US!!!!!EVER!!!!

Emeriastone
December 14th, 2006, 23:03
I think if Sony allowed homebrew in the next firmware and then managed it via an online download service (the only allowed way to get access to *legal* homebrew) we would see a huge boost in homebrew and PSP popularity would emerge.

gunntims0103
December 14th, 2006, 23:19
this might be extreame but...

a whole new layout or interface of the psp maybe more like a desktop where there are icons and you use the anolog stick that has a cursor to choose a icon and inturn go to that feature.

alsothe ability to put animated gifs as a background, that would be nice.

also various applications like, a note pad, calculator,ect...

also a private psp chat system where you can share a psp address with someone and talk directly to them via wifi.

yoshinatsu
December 15th, 2006, 00:39
Wow... Now THAT would be a firmware update.
You forgot to mention homebrew though...
They promised...

Deathnix
December 15th, 2006, 02:44
*quote* And, it would be a heck of a lot easier to do a photo puzzle on the PSP than on the Wii *quote*

obviously not, as with Wii you can just point at the piece you want to move, with PSP you would have to scrool over to the piece, piece at a time, and if you doing a 48 piece puzzle, that going to take considerably longer.

mavsman4457
December 15th, 2006, 04:51
Cross-platform online gaming would be awesome. I always thought it would be incredible to play against my friend in Madden while I play PS2 and he plays Xbox but I was too stupid to realize that that would never happen. PSP to PS3 play however is likely and should happen.

SnesR0X
December 15th, 2006, 06:06
Tat would be nice, but if it was truley online wouldn't there be lag?

juggaleaux
December 15th, 2006, 08:28
I second the increased video format support.

Having to convert everything to mp4 and rename it M4V#####.MP4 is a motherfarker.

C0R3F1GHT3R
December 15th, 2006, 08:48
NETWORK

PlayStation Store! It's absolutely ridiculous that you need a PS3 in order to download games for the PSP. They need to get the PlayStation Store onto the PSP, ASAP. Of course, the PSP's wi-fi isn't really fast enough to support 500MB downloads, so an alternative would be to purchase and download a license via PSP, and then download the appropriate game files via PC. Probability: Very High
Remote Play shouldn't make the PS3 inaccessible. With eight gazillion teraflops of power, you think the PS3 would be able to multi-task. Probability: High
Downloading resuming? How frustrating is it when you're trying to download a 200MB video to your PSP, only to have the connection drop? The PSP should be intelligent enough to allow for downloads to resume. (The fact that the PS3 doesn't do this either is absolutely ridiculous!) Probability: Medium

LoL if they do that their ps3 sales might go down a bit! We're talkin about sony here...

blackrave
December 15th, 2006, 14:22
I second the increased video format support.

Having to convert everything to mp4 and rename it M4V#####.MP4 is a motherfarker.

Actually, you don't have to do that anymore in > FW 2.80. You can name the video file whatever you want and put it in ms0:/VIDEO. It's still a pain in the ass to convert it to the PSPs resolution and format, though ...

I would very much like all of those features, but I'm certain many of them will never happen through official updates.

And I agree, Sony should add some kind of homebrew support for the PSP, at least in the last firrmware update (when will that be, though?). I can't really see what's so fun about an ordinary PSP ... Doesn't have many exciting features.

So, did anyone send this list to Sony yet? :p

potatoman
December 15th, 2006, 16:23
I think if Sony allowed homebrew in the next firmware and then managed it via an online download service (the only allowed way to get access to *legal* homebrew) we would see a huge boost in homebrew and PSP popularity would emerge.

or even allow homebrew of certain size..20mb for example... and dissallow access to flash0&1 to stop brickers... as for isos... only allow the program to access certain types of files... eg dissallow iso cso etc. but allow jpeg,mp3,gif, etc etc.
they coud take out anything they want, if psp had this... i would upgrade like THAT!

jdm69
December 15th, 2006, 23:03
or even allow homebrew of certain size..20mb for example... and dissallow access to flash0&1 to stop brickers... as for isos... only allow the program to access certain types of files... eg dissallow iso cso etc. but allow jpeg,mp3,gif, etc etc.
they coud take out anything they want, if psp had this... i would upgrade like THAT!

The problem with this is that even when Sony trys to completely block access to homebrew, people still manage to run it and eventually run isos. Now, imagine if Sony allowed even a little bit of homebrew support...ISOs will get run in no time, as hackers would find some way to hack what homebrew features were they. I love homebrew, but I hate ISO downloading.

Wickaramnalka
January 21st, 2008, 12:34
Well... obviously, SONY is gonna put DiVx in 4.00....
I heard that they will be putting Go!Messenger... which is MSN on the PSP..... and on the PSP slim, they will put Skype....

I think they should put a higher version of the Flash player... so u can watch YouTube Videos.......... or they should add a new feature called 'YouTube' under Network....

They should also add Shockwave...., & it would be really kool if u can send music from one PSP to another PSP...

and i like this idea:
'alsothe ability to put animated gifs as a background, that would be nice.'

and they should also update the Photo Veiwer in the PSP ... coz u can put .GIF files, and view them... but u can't see the animations!!

C'mon SONY..... the version is gonna be 4.00... A WHOLE NEW NUMBER!! so u should add alot of new features....

Seker
January 21st, 2008, 14:39
GRAVERDIGGER OMGosh