PDA

View Full Version : T will no longer display advertisements for violent video games

wraggster
December 15th, 2006, 01:49
News via the comet (http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/APN/612122457)

The MBTA will no longer display advertisements for video games that are meant for adults after a citizens group complained about posters for a game that encourages players to steal, murder and have sex with prostitutes, a top official said Tuesday.

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood had demanded advertisements for "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories" be pulled off the subways.

In a letter dated Monday, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority's General Manager Daniel Grabauskas told the group that the MBTA's board had approved a ban on ads for games rated suitable only for persons 17 or older.

"We are thrilled that the MBTA has been so responsive to community concerns," said Susan Linn, co-founder of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. "The children of Boston can now ride the MBTA without being targets for advertising that glorifies violence.

Linn added that the decision "sends a strong message to the videogame industry that public property cannot be used to promote violence to children. We hope that other cities will follow suit."

A media watchdog group, The National Institute on Media and the Family, has listed "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories" among 10 games parents shouldn't buy for their kids this holiday season, citing its violent content.

gunntims0103
December 15th, 2006, 01:58
there are just some "tight wads" in the world today...

ppl its only a game

archangel1024
December 15th, 2006, 04:42
stuff like this is why i hate people.

mnuhaily22
December 15th, 2006, 06:08
This gotta qualify for the top 5 stupidest rules in the world.

ojdon
December 17th, 2006, 00:07
But c'mon they say that they are not going to advertise the GTA games very time a new one gets released. I was expecting it. :p

mavsman4457
December 17th, 2006, 00:19
This is not a big deal at all folks. So what if they don't want them advertised? It won't affect you at all.

The_It
December 17th, 2006, 05:33
being commercial free would be pretty sweet, I hate commercials. If I wanted something, I would go search for it. I don't want it popping up on televisions and radios all the time. like when I watched Heroes on some channel: 5 minutes of show to 4 minutes of commercials... pain in the ass.

but that campaign is still gay for pushing what they want on everyone.. but I guess they are doing what they thing is right... but its still gay

pkmaximum
December 17th, 2006, 06:00
Its kind of stupid how the world keeps becoming more censored.

In the end you can only shut peoples eyes, but they will still hear what is going on.

animekid4
December 17th, 2006, 06:40
Parents......gosh if u dont want your kid playing gta then please.........Stop Buying Them The m**** f****** game!!!!!!!!!!And stop sending him to his destrucive best friends house.

Hawq
December 17th, 2006, 14:22
News via the comet (http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/APN/612122457)

The MBTA will no longer display advertisements for video games that are meant for adults after a citizens group complained about posters for a game that encourages players to steal, murder and have sex with prostitutes, a top official said Tuesday.

"We are thrilled that the MBTA has been so responsive to community concerns," said Susan Linn, co-founder of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. "The children of Boston can now ride the MBTA without being targets for advertising that glorifies violence.Because before games there was no violence, stealing or sex with prostitutes right?

A media watchdog group, The National Institute on Media and the Family, has listed "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories" among 10 games parents shouldn't buy for their kids this holiday season, citing its violent content.No really? I thought GTA is perfect for the little ones after all its only rated as a Mature game in america & an 18 rated game here.

gdf
December 17th, 2006, 17:00
these people are stupid! dont they know that they will just give it more publicity and therefore help it sell more copies?! and just 'cos a kid sees an advert it doesn't mean hes going to kill someone. rockstar want to give people enjoyment not kill them...oh well. this situation is ok in the uk we dont get much of this crap (except the bully to canis canem edit thing). its bad in the US but worst in australia i think

Cap'n 1time
December 17th, 2006, 17:26
I dont disagree that 9 year olds certainly dont need to be playing these games, but isnt TV (even with the censors) bad enough already?

mavsman4457
December 17th, 2006, 21:54
As I said before, this might not be necessary but it's not like it really matters to you. It's not like they are passing legislation against the creation of new video games so chill out.