PDA

View Full Version : Review: DecalGirl Wii and Controller Skin (NES Retro Horizontal)

bandit
December 16th, 2006, 19:14
DecalGirl Wii and Controller Skin (NES Retro Horizontal)
Manufacturer: DecalGirl
Site: Buy from DecalGirl (http://www.myreferer.com/mydb/?M=decalgirl&ID=chino&L=26)
Price: $14.99 (Wii) / $4.00 (Remote/NunChuk Set) / $4.00 (Classic Controller) - Purchased together
Price: $4.99 (Remote/NunChuk Set) / $4.99 (Classic Controller) - Purchased Separately

Overview : We've always been huge Nintendo fans and we're proud to offer skins for the new Nintendo Wii. Extra care was taken on this next-gen console to cover as much as possible, minimize gaps between panels, and give fellow Wii owners a skin kit that does the box justice.

This Wii skin is made from the best materials - thin enough to cover both sides and still fit in the OEM stand, but thick enough to protect from scratches. The full-color, high-res "Retro Horizontal" design won't fade, smudge, smear, or leave any nasty residue when removed.

The same DecalGirl skins that Nintendo Power called "truly impressive" can now be yours for under $15!

Quality/Usability : Don't expect any fancy retail packaging. The quality of the skin is top notch. I was impressed by the quality the skins were printed on. The Wii skin came in two sheets. The first sheet contained the skin for the right side of the Wii (when stood up; top), front faceplate of the Wii and for the covers for the GameCube controllers. The second sheet was for the left side (bottom of the Wii).

They also included two more sheets. One sheet included skin for the Wii remote and nunchuk. The
second had the Classic Controller skin.

I'm anal and a perfectionist, so when it comes to making things look the best, it has to be perfect. Applying the skin was fairly easy. There were at times when it was not aligned perfectly and lifting/removing the skin was easy. It did not leave any marks or residue and the skin can still be applied.

Applying the top skin (right side when stopped upright), took me a couple of tries before I got it on perfectly. Once that was placed on, applying the rest was a synch once you get a hang of it.

Once all the skins have been applied, I thought there would be some added thickness to the Wii when placed into the stand that came with the Wii. But I was wrong. The Wii fit perfectly into the stand with the skin on.

Applying the skin for the Wii Remote, NunChuk and Classic Controller was easy as well. But if you have a glove on your Wii Remote, you probably wont notice that you have a skin on there.

The color of the skin looks fabulous. Looks exactly like a NES.

Conclusion : Overall, the DecalGirl Wii Skin is a great product. Gives your Wii a unique look until Nintendo releases new Wii colored system or a third party releases colored casings. Unfortunately, the top skin doesnt really cover completely. There is a slight gap. Also, with the skin on the nunchuk/remote and classic controller, I wonder how long it will last for those gamers with sweaty hands. But the skin is a great investment for those who wants to add a new look to their Wii. Not to mention, the skin can also protect the Wii from scratches.

http://www.decalgirl.com/prodimg/wii/wii-retro-hor-350.jpg http://www.decalgirl.com/prodimg/wiinc/wiinc-retro-350.jpg

More images via Comments

GazeboflossUK
December 17th, 2006, 15:56
That looks very smart. Great skin.

Kramer
December 17th, 2006, 16:53
Hehe I like it, but I wouldn't put it on my Wii.

Is'lan
December 17th, 2006, 17:54
There's so many to choose from, I can't decide!

Is there any downside to using a skin at all? I have never done it before.

DPyro
December 17th, 2006, 18:16
The controller part of the skin sucks.
This ones better:
http://i16.tinypic.com/2lsuutl.jpg

Malksta
December 17th, 2006, 18:37
lol, I thought it was a real NES when i saw it o.O

Duobix
December 17th, 2006, 21:35
It don't looks so good. If you just put Wii into Nes Case, it would look extremaly cooooool, and put gc ports into nes four score (memory cards slots you can put at bottom of NES FC). This controler looks horrible, where you thinking about using replacement cases instead of stickers? I think numchuck could look like n64 controller(I mean only that part whit analog stick), and wiimote could look like nes contoller, I'll post there how it will look In my opinion.

bandit
December 17th, 2006, 22:38
Hehe I like it, but I wouldn't put it on my Wii.
Why not? I noticed some small scratches on my Wii. Especially at the bottom where the Wii goes into the stand.

There's so many to choose from, I can't decide!

Is there any downside to using a skin at all? I have never done it before.
I never really done it either until now. There is no real downside. Only downside is money. If you put it on and you want to change the look, you'll have to spend more money to get another one.

The controller part of the skin sucks.
This ones better:
http://i16.tinypic.com/2lsuutl.jpg
I agree, that does look alot better. But that was what DecalGirl sent me and I have a controller glove on my controller.

It don't looks so good. If you just put Wii into Nes Case, it would look extremaly cooooool, and put gc ports into nes four score (memory cards slots you can put at bottom of NES FC). This controler looks horrible, where you thinking about using replacement cases instead of stickers? I think numchuck could look like n64 controller(I mean only that part whit analog stick), and wiimote could look like nes contoller, I'll post there how it will look In my opinion.
There are no replacement cases. So everyone will have to either stick with just the way it looks, get controller gloves or place a skin.

TacticalBread
December 18th, 2006, 09:43
That's awesome! It looks just like the NES.

When I get my Wii, I will definitely look into getting these. :D