PDA

View Full Version : Which DS Flashcart is Best ? Slot 1 or the Boot/SLot 2 Combo ?

wraggster
December 17th, 2006, 11:42
It seems that Slot 1 DS Flashcarts are now all the rage but which are the best , are the Slot 1 carts better than the Boot Carts/Slot 2 Combos or is the idea from Supercard where the Slot 1 acts as a Boot cart the best idea ?

Give your verdict Via Comments

jamesgloucester
December 17th, 2006, 14:12
I personally think Slot-2 devices are currently better, mainly because they can simply do more, i.e GBA games and more homebrew.

The Slot-1 device are simpler though, with no patching of games required, ad no Boot device needed.

I reckon the best will be to have both a Slot-1 and Slot-2 device (M3 Lite + M3 DS?) where the Slot-1 device can use the Slot-2 device for GBA compatibility and extra storage, but dosn't rely on the Slot-2 device for normal NDS homebrew and games. i'll keep my fingers crossed :-P

Dom29
December 17th, 2006, 15:23
what i want to no is can i get a supercard lite and a supercard slot 1 and play GBA on my DS but running the games from the micro SD in the slot 1? its hard to explain :)

basilb
December 17th, 2006, 17:01
Which DS flashcart?

Slot 1's (will) let you use the gba slot for rumble/memory & any future expansion packs nintendo has in mind, plus no need for boot device.

Slot 2's let you load up both nds and gba roms/brews.

depends on what you want.

jolidesignuk
December 17th, 2006, 18:25
what i want to no is can i get a supercard lite and a supercard slot 1 and play GBA on my DS but running the games from the micro SD in the slot 1? its hard to explain :)

No this won't be possible, the GBA slot (Slot 2), and GBA processor, have no access to Slot 1.

If however you have a supercard lite, when used on its own, you'll be able to run GBA from slot 1 using the SCL micro sd.

yudonomi
December 17th, 2006, 20:27
I'm thinking about getting the Supercard Lite/Superkey combination. Seems like the best config to me, but I haven't tried it yet.

TeenDev
December 17th, 2006, 20:34
Right now I think slot 2 combos are the best because they're the most compartible. Slot 1's are going to be like MMD for a few monthes becuase they have to make them compatabi;e. I have noticed that the MMD is getting more and more accepted in the homebrew comunity

ramjet
December 18th, 2006, 04:57
Wouldnt slot 1 devices be better on battery life.

PS is that HaloDS avatar for real??..

Eyedunno
December 18th, 2006, 05:12
Slot1 is a better solution for those of us who don't care so much about GBA homebrew (who needs slow SNES emulation with no sound and low-resolution, blocky Meteos video?) and who want to easily swap the flashcard between non-flashed DSes.

And also, the Slot1 flashcards finally make DS homebrew as simple as GBA homebrew is. One card to keep track of, and no booting a special card or flashing your Ds.

DanTheManMS
December 18th, 2006, 05:16
I like GBA homebrew, and I like being able to actually use DSLinux for more than 10 minutes without crashing, so I prefer slot-2 devices with onboard RAM.

I would guess that now that slot-1 devices are out, products like the Supercard Rumble series and the M3 Pro series are probably going to fade away. Normal Supercards and M3 Perfects will probably remain popular though due to their GBA support.

Sonny_Jim
December 18th, 2006, 14:55
If you are ever thinking about using DSLinux I'd suggest getting a flashcart that has extra memory for GBA and has DSLinux support. (m3/Supercard spring to mind)

Bearing in mind there is a graphical browser in the works, I'd say it could suddenly get a lot more popular.

PSP 101
December 18th, 2006, 16:28
I have thinking of buying a DS Extreme. Does anyone know whether it is any good ?

skipboris
December 18th, 2006, 20:35
I have the superkey/superdard lite combo. It's awesome. It runs NDS games, SNES games (Emulated) and GBA homebrew and games like my NES emulator, Gameboy color emulator, ect. Without GBA support (slot 1 devices) I could NOT get the NES or GBC emulators to work, nor my GBA games. Lastly, my 2 gig micro sd is not even half full yet, meaning mp3's or maybe alot more games in the future.

TeenDev
December 19th, 2006, 02:13
Wouldnt slot 1 devices be better on battery life.

PS is that HaloDS avatar for real??..

I have no idea, i just grabbed it off the net

Eyedunno
December 20th, 2006, 00:35
Regarding the RAM issues with some homebrew, I have the DS Browser, and I wonder if said devs will support it (or compatible third-party RAM expansions, if they're ever released!) in conjunction with Slot1 cards then.

paulfft
January 15th, 2007, 21:21
m3 ds simply is the best very easy to use i have put 122 games on on a 2gb and still room

TeenDev
January 15th, 2007, 21:29
plz no resurecting old threads

acidburn2k2
January 15th, 2007, 21:31
How did you put all those games on there?
They could not be ds unless you shrunk them some how.
I have the supercard slot 1 with 1 gb with 24 games and can not get my ff3 to work on it

TeenDev
January 15th, 2007, 21:33
Someone Lock This Thread Now!!!

Azure Hydra
January 15th, 2007, 23:11
Which devices have built in RAM in them? AND How much RAM?

The only one i know is the M3 Perfect CF. No clue on how much RAM it comes with though....

Someone please answer?

DanTheManMS
January 16th, 2007, 01:10
Any slot-2 M3 (that is NOT the Pro series) and any slot-2 Supercard (that is NOT the Rumble series) will have 32 MB of extra RAM for GBA compatibility. That's the largest any GBA binary can get anyway.

Azure Hydra
January 16th, 2007, 02:10
Any slot-2 M3 (that is NOT the Pro series) and any slot-2 Supercard (that is NOT the Rumble series) will have 32 MB of extra RAM for GBA compatibility. That's the largest any GBA binary can get anyway.

Thanks a lot~!! I couldn't find the answer anywere -.-
....32MB of RAM is a lot :) that's awesome

kolobos
January 16th, 2007, 09:29
For me this card is the best ive used, so far ive tried Supercard, Ninjapass, ds linker and the amazing R4DS, it is so easy to use and sort out.

R4DS rocks!!!

canvasch
January 16th, 2007, 11:13
chill out max.. it's not like this thread is so old it's irrelevant........
... me.. i'm going to get a R4, why? because i don't play gba games anymore and i can still read my comics (thanks to comicbook ds the BEST homebrew app for the ds, thanks gnese you guys rule!) ..... why bother upgrading?... i'm getting a DS lite (yes i am still using the ds phat i got at (usa) launch....)
it'll be cheaper for me to get a r4 than it would before me to get a supercard lite and passkey...
what am i using now? a supercard minisd with a 2gb micro sd....

why am i choosing r4? it's the most popular slot 1 cart at the moment....... that's why...

xdre3
January 25th, 2007, 23:58
slot 2 devices have gba and homebrew support but slot 1 is easier

zechff
January 26th, 2007, 09:28
The R4DS Cartridge is the current top-of-the-line in DS SLOT-1 flash carts. It is Just an amazing little device like original DS cart size, it is a complete solution with no need to purchase any a additional components or deal with any messy software and truly the easiest media enhancer you have ever done; To simply put it, this is a must have peripheral for any regular DS/DS lite owner.

Supports roms, multimedia files, or Homebrew games of any size

Directly Drags and drops all files into the MicroSD(TF) card from Computer

Plugs and plays in SLOT-1 without any passcard and supports all version of DS.

Features:
1.Original NDS cart size
- R4 is the same size as original DS cartridge, which never sticks out of any DS & DS Lite.

2.Support TF unlimited capacity
- With High-speed data transferring technology, R4DS supports the ultra large capacity TF(MicroSD) cards upto 4GB(32Gbit) in size;

3.Support all kinds of DS roms, Using plug & Play technology.
- R4 directly plays in SLOT-1 of the DS without any passcard, FlashMe or WifiMe, and perfectly supports all version of DS including Fat DS . DSL .IDS . IDSL. It also uses plug & play, no Software needed!

4.Support GBA link function and GBA cartridge slot
- For using of DS Slot-1, R4DS already has PassMe functionality built in, it supports GBA games which is pluged in slot-2 and also the games which are required to use DS Slot-2 such as Rumble pack, Opera Extend cart, Gyroscope Adapter.

5.Compatible with Clean Roms, Movie, Music and other media files
- R4 supports clean ROMs , Homebrews and Multimedia files with no slow-downs or hang-up,

6. Very low Power consumption.
-R4 uses Very Low Power Consumption, which means you can play Games, Multimedia files, and Homebrew more.

7.Perfect Save system
- There is no PC software required and no more backup and restorage, directly Drag and drop all files into the MicroSD(TF) card from Computer;

8.Compatible with all the DS gamesave type
- R4 is Compatible with all the DS gamesave type and easy to Manage your gamesave files. Menu program can be easily updated through TF(MicroSD) cards.
http://www.pdapuffin.com/category/61_117/product/item/870/product_detail.html

souLLy
January 26th, 2007, 10:57
I'm one of the lucky people fortunate to have both, I have an m3 lite and an m3 simply which is the best possible scenario in my opinion.

Otherwise it all depends what you want, currently:

slot1s don't have that the best homebrew support, but eventually it should be the favoured format in the future I'd imagine, and slot1s require no loading cards.

Slot 2s support GBA software and currently supports homebrew best, but does require a pass-thru/no pass card.

Theres a few bits of software like ds linux that can take advantage of the ram in your slot2 if you run it from a slot1, so if you have both you're sorted.

ukmobil
February 7th, 2007, 18:50
Further info for the R4:

When you connect the card reader/writer to your computer, it is recognised as an additional drive. After the memory card is inserted into the reader/writer, you can transfer files to and from it, just as with a hard drive. Fitting the card into its slot on the R4 cartridge and placing the cartridge into your NDS's game slot-1, completes the preparations.

The DS's menu interface provides a simple means of selecting the different programs available to launch the files you placed on the MicroSD card. It can be operated by the 'touchscreen' or using the console's buttons.

The 'Games' icon links you to a list of such files. From there, you can load and play your selection, using the R4 cartridge's built in processor.

The 'Multimedia' icon links to software which enables you to view images, listen to MP3s and watch videos. This program is a completely free application called 'moonshell'. Video files firstly need to be converted to .dpg format.

The third icon allows an option to launch any cartridge you may have in slot-2 of your console, depending on your preferences.

Information from: http://www.it-now.biz

crazyncurly
February 7th, 2007, 20:58
well i have a mmd and half way through buying it i regretted it wanting to buy a supercard then it came(the mmd) and i found this website. All i can say now is that its much better than i exspected.

HaTaX
March 12th, 2007, 08:59
Curious, what do you all think is the best solution or is there one even available where I could keep the M3 simply in slot-1 and have the slot-2 occupied with a card so I could load GBA games and also the memory expansion for the browser and/or the rumble pack..

does such a beast exist? Also... Looking for lite sized to add to the list. =)

souLLy
March 12th, 2007, 12:49
Curious, what do you all think is the best solution or is there one even available where I could keep the M3 simply in slot-1 and have the slot-2 occupied with a card so I could load GBA games and also the memory expansion for the browser and/or the rumble pack..

does such a beast exist? Also... Looking for lite sized to add to the list. =)

This is the setup I have, an M3 simply in my slot-1 and an m3lite in my slot-2. The M3 simply on loading can also be used to boot slot-2 via the menu choice- for gba gaming.

If you really want rumble I believe there's a supercard flashcart that has a rumble feature.

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 01:24
The rumble feature of the SCR series is a joke. It only works on the Metroid Pinball rom as far as I know, which you must patch with a special patch file before using. And then it only rumbles when you press a button, not when the game would normally rumble. So yeah, don't buy it for that.

If you're interested in getting an EZ Flash V, they have recently introduced a slot-2, 3-in-1 addon that has support for GBA binaries, official game rumble, and Opera browser support. You must use it with the slot-1 EZ Flash 5 though.

HaTaX
March 13th, 2007, 07:26
Good advice Dan, I had looked at the EZ Flash 5, was just a little bummed out at the price, and also the fact that I didn't need an entire solution after the purchase of the M3 Simply. I ended up getting a SC Rumble Lite, it is supposed to be much better with the latest firmware on it having official support with all but one game I think...

It was cheap ($25) and it was free shipping because of the other things ordered (WiiKey and component cables for $10) so I guess if it sucks too hard, I will just give it to a friend that would really only use it to play GBA backups... He hates having his risk cart sticking out of the bottom of his DS.

Kind of excited as the SC lite rumble is coming in Navy Blue though, not sure any other card out there is available in that color.

DanTheManMS
March 14th, 2007, 02:38
When they added rumble support, they removed GBA support. This is mostly why the Supercard Rumble series is so much cheaper than the regular versions.

So basically, if you don't have a DS, or if you have a DS but don't have a passthrough device, the Supercard Rumble is completely useless. I know you can use the M3 Simply as a NoPass for it though.

HaTaX
March 14th, 2007, 04:28
Ah.. That blows... lol... Ohh well, I guess I've learned more expensive lessons... Thanks for the tip.

Does this mean then that it cannot play GBA games at all? And remember this is the lite version, I thought they had retained GBA on that model. I have a M3 Simply so the pass issue is covered

DanTheManMS
March 14th, 2007, 21:26
All versions of the Rumble series cannot play GBA games at all. The SCL is not exempt from this.

The Supercard Lite introduced slightly faster RAM for better GBA compatibility, but the Supercard Lite Rumble still has no GBA compatibility whatsoever.