PDA

View Full Version : Opera coming to the Wii very shortly?

wraggster
December 17th, 2006, 21:17
via palgn (http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6259)
Spanish Site Meristation is reporting (in Spanish, but don't worry - we did the translation) that the Opera Browser will be coming to the Wii on December 23, the only catch being that it will be in Beta Form.

To cover ourselves, there's also a slight possibility that the Beatles will be performing at the Opera on December 23, but we're pretty sure it's the former bit of news. The beta version will have flash but it seems that we'll be waiting until March for the final version of the browser, which will be available for free until June.

shadowprophet
December 17th, 2006, 21:24
Hell's Yeah!!!!

Jonesyxxiv
December 17th, 2006, 22:19
Awesome I was just wondering when the browser would come out. I cant wait.

8b!T
December 18th, 2006, 12:32
will the broswer just be avaivable for uk, us, jp or for every country? i hope i'll get the browser too...because i'm living in germany

shadowprophet
December 18th, 2006, 12:43
will the broswer just be avaivable for uk, us, jp or for every country? i hope i'll get the browser too...because i'm living in germany
I cant say for sure everyone will get it on the 23, But im sure everyone that has a wii before june will have a chance to get it for free :thumbup: and with any luck, the 23rd will fix up everyone :D

8b!T
December 18th, 2006, 19:11
ok i hope so...

8b!T
December 21st, 2006, 11:56
the german nintendo page says that the downgrader will release tomorrow xD, so on the 22th december, maybe your getting the browser as well tomorrow

shadowprophet
December 21st, 2006, 12:14
the german nintendo page says that the downgrader will release tomorrow xD, so on the 22th december, maybe your getting the browser as well tomorrow

Ive been wondering about the browsers functionality.
Id love to be able to moderate the forums from my wii :thumbup:

I tried it on the psp, and even though its cool to be able to do that. it simply takes too long to type a decent reply on the psp virtual keyboard.

But I believe the wii's point and click keyboard will be much faster :cool:

DPyro
December 21st, 2006, 16:46
Official Source (http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=10823)

http://www.opera.com/img/products/devices/nintendo/wii/releasedate_comic.gif

shadowprophet
December 21st, 2006, 16:50
Starting Dec. 22, Beta version lets users surf the Web on Wii

Nintendo’s wildly popular Wii home video game system not only revolutionizes how people play games, but it also entices new people into the world of gaming. On Dec. 22, Nintendo and Opera Software bring the Internet to the living room couch with a free beta version of the Opera Web browser. Wii owners who are connected and have activated the Wii Shop Channel can download a free beta version of the Opera browser to activate the Internet Channel of the Wii Menu and begin surfing the Web.

“This newest Wii Menu channel provides yet another feature to draw non-gamers in,” says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “All kinds of people already have discovered that Wii is like nothing they have ever tried before, and our red-hot sales reflect this public enthusiasm.”

“Our software brings the power and reach of the Internet to the hottest video game system available,” says Scott Hedrick, Executive Vice President, Devices, at Opera Software. “Wii’s unique interface adds a new dimension to our browser, making it a useful tool that the whole family will enjoy operating with ease.”

The final version of the Opera browser will be available at the end of March 2007, and will be free for all Wii owners to download through the end of June 2007. After June, users who haven’t already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points.

The Internet Channel provides an optimal Web browsing experience on people’s home television. The Adobe Flash-enabled beta version of the Opera browser puts the Internet right onto owners’ television screens and lets them browse with ease, enabling them to check sports scores, plot maps or visit their favorite Web sites.

Multiple family members can gather around the television to plan a vacation or make online purchases. The pointing abilities of the Wii Remote allow users to click on links they want to see or to zoom into any part of the screen through the motion of the controller. In addition, the Wii Remote can be used with an on-screen keyboard to make text entry as easy as point and click.

The Internet Channel joins the four already-live channels: Disc Channel, Photo Channel, Mii Channel and Wii Shop Channel. The Forecast Channel goes live on Dec. 20 and provides current and future weather information that can be accessed using a text list of cities or by using the Wii Remote to zoom in on a 3-D interactive globe. Weather information is provided by Weathernews. The Internet Channel, Forecast Channel and Wii Shop Channel are available at no charge, though they require Wii owners to have a high-speed Internet connection. For more information about Wii, visit Wii.com (http://www.wii.com/).

Kramer
December 21st, 2006, 16:50
cool I cant wait, right now it's 2 am on the 22nd.

xb00t
December 21st, 2006, 18:13
I dont know where you live mate but its 18:12 - 21st Dec in the UK. Come on Opera!!!!!

Now that we have the rls date does anyone have a rls time? GMT?

Kramer
December 22nd, 2006, 02:55
Well im posting this message from the new Wii opera browser:D and I can say it's awesome very quick and the keyboard is easy to use' my only problem with it is the lack of any options at all.

shadowprophet
December 22nd, 2006, 03:04
Well im posting this message from the new Wii opera browser:D and I can say it's awesome very quick easy to use keyboard' my only problem with it is the lack of any options at all.

i can say without doubt its not out in the us yet :(

DPyro
December 22nd, 2006, 03:11
Beh....Mii want!!!

shadowprophet
December 22nd, 2006, 03:14
by the way kramer,. Is there any way to save book marks? you said something about a lack of options

Kramer
December 22nd, 2006, 03:26
by the way kramer,. Is there any way to save book marks? you said something about a lack of options

Luckily yes you can and it even saves a little pic of the sites you bookmark. But there is no other options then that.

shadowprophet
December 22nd, 2006, 03:29
Luckily yes you can and it even saves a little pic of the sites you bookmark. But there is no other options then that.
THanks kramer :D hehe I cant wait :p Mii want it now :p

xb00t
December 22nd, 2006, 03:31
Oh, yeah baby! It rocks... well not realy. It actualy needs alot more work. :| Good thing they annonuced it as a beta version. The lack of options is realy disturbing. I guess its better then nothing for now.

shadowprophet
December 22nd, 2006, 03:34
Oh, yeah baby! It rocks... well not realy. It actualy needs alot more work. :| Good thing they annonuced it as a beta version. The lack of options is realy disturbing. I guess its better then nothing for now.

Im just happy to see you guys can navigate the forums with it. I cant wait to be moderating dcemu on my wii :thumbup: talk about freaking sweet!!!:D :D :D

DPyro
December 22nd, 2006, 03:36
The big question is....does JavaScript work?

shadowprophet
December 22nd, 2006, 03:38

That would be nice :D Irc on the wii too!!!:thumbup:

I would be very happy if you guys would try this link and let me know if it works

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/irc/irc.htm :)

Kramer
December 22nd, 2006, 03:59

unfortunately no...:(

but hopefully the final version will.

shadowprophet
December 22nd, 2006, 04:06
oh well :p its still a whole lot better hten nothing :D

Junixx
December 22nd, 2006, 04:15
Wonder if there will be DS/Wii connectivity with the browser, say the DS downloads a program so that it can be used as the keyboard and mouse....

DPyro
December 22nd, 2006, 05:29
It's now 22nd and no Opera...whats going on? :(

Junixx
December 22nd, 2006, 06:22
Times zones maybe? maybe they want it to be the 22nd everywhere :rolleyes:.......or at least in the US anyway..who knows

strumstrum
December 22nd, 2006, 08:49
I am more impressed than I thought I would be, myspace player works, google vid and youtube work, I have played blast billiards on mousebreaker.

I did notice wiiarcade is closed for the time being, and I wonder if that is a modification thing or a negotiation thing.. ??

Accordion
December 22nd, 2006, 10:23
wow!
it is surprisingly good, and fast!
using it now is easy,and if usb keyboard support was added, i would happily use it over my computer!
i wonder why it hasnt been released in the US yet...what time is it?...
maybe it will come with the US virtual console games...because friday is the pal region VC release day...???