PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console Updated

wraggster
December 18th, 2006, 02:16
Want to know whats needed for homebrew on each console in a quick and easy guide then our UPDATED The Complete Guide to Whats Needed for Homebrew on Each Console (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/homebrew-guide.php) may be just what you need, i had to update it because half the links were dead (the lik sang effect) and also the discovery of Gamecube Homebrew working on the Nintendo Wii was too good to miss.

Heres the consoles it covers:

Dreamcast
Game Boy Advance
Gamecube
Gizmondo
GP2X
GP32
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Wii
Nokia N-Gage
Playstation 2
Playstation Portable
Sega Saturn
Tapwave Zodiac
Xbox

The guide itself covers the basics of whats needed for homebrew on each console and links to shops if applicable for each item and links to sites for that console too. Check out the guide here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/homebrew-guide.php

SnoopKatt
December 18th, 2006, 02:50
You can also mod the XBox by softmodding.

kcajblue
December 18th, 2006, 03:16
this guide should help some people.

socomit
December 18th, 2006, 03:18
wraggster for the ps2 there is also the mmc card exploit way. Where you us e a ps1 disc to boot up an elf laucher. From this you can put elfs in a usb and boot them from there. Note this doesnot work on the simline, if you need help on how to do it send me a pm. This is the way i cheat on socom 2 and 3

gunntims0103
December 18th, 2006, 04:09
maybe a stickie of some sort is in order this is very helpfull

Thanks for the post wraggster :)

ExcruciationX
December 18th, 2006, 04:18
You can also mod the XBox by softmodding.
Yes you can. But a modchip is better though.

watupgroupie
December 18th, 2006, 05:19
Yes you can. But a modchip is better though.
Better how mine is softmodded and i have everything that you can have with a modchip installed really there's no point in risking installing one when there's softmodding much easier and less risks. Well unless you buy one with it installed already but really the modding part is what's fun for me so i never do that.:D

SnoopKatt
December 18th, 2006, 05:22
A modchip is pretty much always the best thing. I would recommend softmodding if you are responsible enough to keep a backup of a working XBOX HDD and you know what you shouldn't delete.

Read on if you wanna softmod
If you have the option, definately chip your XBox. But if you're really good with computers, good with knowing what to not delete, and you can't find someone to solder it for you, I would softmod. However, DO NOT USE SID. MAKE SURE YOU SOFTMOD WITH KRAYZIE'S NDURE INSTALLER. SID writes over the C partition which makes the dashboard a little faster, but it makes it harder to recover back to an unmodded state (it backs it up, but in a different place). It's also very unreliable and when I tried to make the XBox dash work, it screwed up, and I had to reformat my HDD with my backup to make it start again. So yeah, stay away from SID. KRAYZIE'S is very reliable and I've never had any problems with it. It's very customizeable and much more reliable. I only stopped using it because I bought a chip.

After a successful softmod, you definately should FTP a copy of the XBOX HDD to a safe place. That way, if anything goes wrong, you can use XBOXHDM and reformat your HDD with a working setup. The only catch is that XBOXHDM is a Linux program, so you need access to a PC for it to work. The most important thing to hold onto is your EEPROM. Always have this, because if your HDD gets locked and you don't have your EEPROM, you'll probably need a new HDD and you'll also need to get a modchip.

So in conclusion, try to buy a chip, but if you can't install it, just go ahead and try softmodding it with NDURE. I hope this helps anyone who is interested in softmodding.

Destroyer699
December 18th, 2006, 05:28
I'll write a guide for xbox softmodding tomarrow.

On a side note. Krayzies installer isn't very good.

If you are going to softmod, I reccomend you use SID(softmod installer delux), then use the AID 3.0 disc. Its noob proof.

Also, softmods are better than mod chips. If you have even half a clue of what you are doing they are virtually impossible to mess up and can do everything a mod chip can do(even bios loading). Mod chips can easily break your xbox if you mess up the sodering even a little bit.

Plus, softmods are free, chips are not.

SnoopKatt
December 18th, 2006, 05:41
I don't see how you could load a BIOS with a softmod. The only way I could see someone loading a modded BIOS without a chip is a TSOP flash, which also isn't a bad idea. But you really do need to know what you're doing if you install a softmod. If you don't want to screw up on soddering the chip, then get a professional to do it. It's very simple, and I doubt they'll charge much. Installing a chip is what scares a lot of people from doing it, but once it's in there, you'll be happy.

To be honest, all of the choices for modding an XBOX are very good choices, but chipping is much more reliable.

Mr. Shizzy
December 18th, 2006, 05:50
Nice. :D This guide is awesome ! I've never hacked anything before the PSP. But I just used this guide to get an NES emulator running on my Dreamcast !!! :) :D It was pretty painless too. It's nice to play homebrew on my TV without hooking up that pain in the neck PSP to TV adaptor. (Which has rather poor picture quality anyway). It looks like I'mm off to the Dreamcast section of DCEmu to catch up on the last seven years. lol. :)

Quick question: Do I need to sign up for a separate account for the Dreamcast forums? It said something about logging in at one point, but it wouldn't recognise my DCEmu (psp) password.

pibs
December 18th, 2006, 06:51
so wait does that mean the PSO exploit sumhow works on the wii? fudge if it does im getting wii right away!

wait the PSO method isnt even in the gc homebrew methods?

Vangar
December 18th, 2006, 10:11
The softmod works just as well as the chip for Xbox btw. As long as your not an idiot and research into it, you can do it within 20 minutes.

Veskgar
December 18th, 2006, 13:12
The softmod works just as well as the chip for Xbox btw. As long as your not an idiot and research into it, you can do it within 20 minutes.
Is there a way I could determine if my XBOX can be soft modded? I have the game with the linux on it. I know I need Action Replay to put the linux installer on the XBOX, but I've heard about if you've connected your XBOX to XBOX LIVE, Microsoft Automaically patched your XBOX preventing softmod.

I would play HALO 2 on LIVE all the time. I'd say the last time it was connected to XBOX live was September 2005.

If anyone knows, it'd be a big help.

watupgroupie
December 18th, 2006, 15:37
Is there a way I could determine if my XBOX can be soft modded? I have the game with the linux on it. I know I need Action Replay to put the linux installer on the XBOX, but I've heard about if you've connected your XBOX to XBOX LIVE, Microsoft Automaically patched your XBOX preventing softmod.

I would play HALO 2 on LIVE all the time. I'd say the last time it was connected to XBOX live was September 2005.

If anyone knows, it'd be a big help.Well i havn't heard that before but i have heard that if your xbox is softmodded and you go on live you lose your account. Well the way i modded my xbox was i chopped a controller cord in two wired a usb cable on it and plugged it into my computer used action replay and put the splinter cell gamesave hack and sid on my memory card and havn't deleted it. And i'm 12 by the way so it's deffintally fool proof. Just back up the eeprom or your screwed and back up your whole hardrive to onto your computer. I've modded 3 xbox's so far like this but only had to chop the controller card once (thank god) just don't delete the files on it. Oh and when you chop your controller cord and plug a usb cable in you can put your controller back together and use it again so you don't have to buy a whole new one.

jools
December 18th, 2006, 18:31
my sisters boyfriend soft modded the xbox in half an hour and its realy easy, all you need is an ethernet cable and a copy of splintercell (costed £1.50 preowned):)

btw its easyer once its been updated by xbox live, the only bad part is you get band from xbox live for modding.(I think)

SnoopKatt
December 18th, 2006, 22:54
Yeah, you usually need to update your XBOX Dashboard for the softmod to work. But you actually don't even need to connect to the Internet to do it. Just run a copy of an XBOX Live game (Halo 2 or later), tell it to connect to XBOX Live, and the first thing it should do is update your dashboard WITH the files on the disc. After it does that, then cancel and go ahead and softmod.

the_eternal_dark
December 19th, 2006, 01:42
so wait does that mean the PSO exploit sumhow works on the wii? fudge if it does im getting wii right away!

wait the PSO method isnt even in the gc homebrew methods?

No, no ethernet port on the Wii, besides the PSO method sucks for just about anything anyway. Ebay an SD gecko and an action replay.

I really hope that since the GC SDLoad method works on the Wii, we see more Gamecube compatible homebrew in the near future (as well as on the Wii).

pibs
December 19th, 2006, 05:55
na cuz with the PSO method u could run code straight from ur pc and no need for chipin ur gc, kinda weird that wii has no ethernet port