PDA

View Full Version : Wii Unscrambler released

wraggster
December 22nd, 2006, 02:08
Ingenieria Inversa (http://www.ingenieria-inversa.cl/?p=9) have today released an unscrambler tool for the Wii/gamecube, on their site they have posted a ton of info about disk layouts etc but to most of you and me :D it means bugger all and thats not to mention that theres no way at the mo to read Wii Discs in the raw format needed for the unscrambler.

Another tool that will hopefully lead to an homebrew exploit, (lets hope so)

Download via comments

DPyro
December 22nd, 2006, 02:16
From what I understand, this tool essentially lets you read Wii discs on your computer and dump ISO files.

EDIT: This only decrypts the dumped ISO files....you have to dump them through some other means.

wraggster
December 22nd, 2006, 02:18
yeah but theres no actual way to read them

DPyro
December 22nd, 2006, 02:33
You mean load the ISO on the Wii....

skater9269
December 22nd, 2006, 04:23
no there is no way (and hopefully wont be) to play isos or backups on the wii

VampDude
December 22nd, 2006, 05:08
hopefully there wont be a way of reading ICE-O's (I did'nt say it) on Wii cause it would be pretty shitty if so. but then again whatever people are doing now will eventually result in homebrew

SwordOfZork
December 22nd, 2006, 06:35
Why is everyone so against piracy? It has never done significant damage to the gaming industry, and inspires people to crack gaming hardware, paving the way for homebrew.

Critical_Impact
December 22nd, 2006, 08:53
Every gaming system gets cracked, get over it. A lot of games deserved to get pirated because they are so crap. But most games if they are good i will buy them.

the_eternal_dark
December 22nd, 2006, 11:04
Every gaming system gets cracked, get over it. A lot of games deserved to get pirated because they are so crap. But most games if they are good i will buy them.

typing from the wii browser.

That remark will get you into trouble. It's people like you that give homebrew users a bad name. Ass....

compoman386
December 22nd, 2006, 11:23
The ony reason I have ever been into homebrew is to play emulated console games like sness and genesis games. Now I can do that on the Wii anyway, so I see little point (for me personally) to wish that homebrew appears on it also. If it does, and if it also made piracy possible, then that would be a very sad day indeed.

Also to Critical_Impact, not every game system gets cracked, I have never heard of anyone successfully runnning a copied gamecube game. Am I wrong about this?

homebrew1973
December 22nd, 2006, 12:16
The ony reason I have ever been into homebrew is to play emulated console games like sness and genesis games. Now I can do that on the Wii anyway, so I see little point (for me personally) to wish that homebrew appears on it also. If it does, and if it also made piracy possible, then that would be a very sad day indeed.

Also to Critical_Impact, not every game system gets cracked, I have never heard of anyone successfully runnning a copied gamecube game. Am I wrong about this?

Afraid you are wrong matey, the GameCube has had mod-chips for a while and it`ll simply be a matter of time before they`ll be available for the Wii....

ExInferis
December 22nd, 2006, 12:19
So if the wii and gc discs use the same optics then perhaps a gc with the lid off can be used to read wii discs using the old pso exploit. For educational purposes of course!

hakibou24
December 22nd, 2006, 13:02
does this mean that we will be able to burn isos on cd and play them on the wii?

compoman386
December 22nd, 2006, 13:17
Afraid you are wrong matey, the GameCube has had mod-chips for a while and it`ll simply be a matter of time before they`ll be available for the Wii....

So how are the games copied then, I thought that the discs were read "backwards" in a GC, making them impossible to properly read (or to burn a copy of it as there is no dvd burner that will record "backwards", so to speak)

Although there are indeed mod-chips available for the GC, as I understand it these are only capable of allowing play on games from different regions, rather than copied games.

BTW I am not simply trying to contradict for the sake of it, just curious about this subject as it has come up several times lately amongst talk of possible Wii piracy

Zion
December 22nd, 2006, 13:45
i personally hope the wii doesnt get cracked (for isos anyway)

i hope the ps3 does tho, cus i really hope nintendo kicks sonys ass this time :)

Sektor
December 22nd, 2006, 14:07
So how are the games copied then, I thought that the discs were read "backwards" in a GC, making them impossible to properly read (or to burn a copy of it as there is no dvd burner that will record "backwards", so to speak)

They are not read backwards, the discs spin the same way as normal. That misinformation has spread to thousands of sites, so many people make that mistake.

It spread from peoples misinterpretation of the fact that the discs had data from the outside to the inside. People assumed that since the data was written in a backwards spiral, that it had to be read backwards but they were wrong.

The data is pressed to the outer rim of the disc first since optic drives read faster from the outer rim than the inner rim. Burners usually have to start from the inside of the disc but you can just burn dummy data until you get to the outer rim or you can take the speed lost and burn without a dummy file. GC games have been pirated for a long time but this is not the place to discuss how.

compoman386
December 22nd, 2006, 15:11
Thanks for that info Sektor, I must admit that I had heard and belived the whole "backwards" thing without ever researching it properly, simply because it had been said by so many people. Fanx 4 clearing it up tho!

the_eternal_dark
December 22nd, 2006, 18:47
1. GC cannot read Wii disks, they are too big (GC only read 1.4 or so gigs, the size of a mini DVD).

2. GC disks are read like normal, but have a strange data layout, making it hard to read by normal DVD burners (unless modded).

3. The only thing I use my Viper Extreme for is to load the SDLoad commands on my GC so I don't need an Action Replay to do so. It's also handy to load homebrew games, such as the uncompleted port of Doom (anyone know if the coder plans on finishing it?) or other projects as well. Not only that, the Viper Extreme is good for streaming via USB as well, to and from the ‘Cube (perfect for loading SNES9x if you have a crappy SD card).

4. I doubt the Wii gets a mod chip, but if it does, it will be pretty hard to solder all the points required (as the points are very small, most of them are VERY close together).

I really hope the Wii doesn’t have problems with piracy like the GC did. It would be the early death of a great console.

PIRACY SUCKS!!!

WHurricane16
December 23rd, 2006, 03:41

I see your point, but many of us would like to be able to take advantage of the Wii's unique hardware for our own ideas.

soad825
January 7th, 2007, 07:54
all i got to say is "Wow!" all fricken ready smthing is out.that is just sad.....