PDA

View Full Version : Wii FPS games cause motion sickness?

wraggster
December 23rd, 2006, 11:49
via destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/wii-fps-games-cause-motion-sickness--28817.phtml)

It's ok. Don't feel like a big gamer wuss. There are others like you. Nobody's talking about it. It has to be said. Wii have a new problem, but it doesn't have a catchy name -- it's Wii First Person Shooter Motion Sickness. (WIIFPSMS O RLY?)

Apparently a few of us have been experiencing motion sickness when playing Wii first person shooter games but have been reluctant to talk about it. Personally speaking, I can't read a book while in a car without getting dizzy but can ride stuff at the fair for 24 hours straight and can play any number of FPS games on WASD until my tube and jar on the floor is full. I thought it was just me. WRONG!

After a Podtoid episode Robert mentioned in passing that it was happening to him: "It's weird, because it only happens in CoD 3 and Red Steel on the Wii. I've never had this issue with any other game on any other system ever." Same here. Suspicious that it wasn't isolated, I've talked to about 3 other people who have said the same thing about the same two games -- it sometimes makes them dizzy. None of us are smokers or pregnant women either. Yet.

It obviously has something to do with the camera panning when you gesture the Wiimote -- perhaps the predictive movement of trying to guess where you want to look or the slight delay in the camera panning. Obviously, how sensitive you are to MS must play a huge role in it. Nintendo was not available for comment at time of publication, but we're curious if they've received any other complaints.

wraggster
December 23rd, 2006, 11:50
hmm Mario Kart and Fzero on the Snes used to make me feel queasy when i first played them

skater9269
December 23rd, 2006, 15:41
mario kart made me allitle sick but that was a great game. I own a wii and when I play redsteel it doesnt bother me.And when my freind PLAYS it doesnt bother him but when he watches me play it makes him allitle sick.

shadowprophet
December 23rd, 2006, 16:51
It's a well known that in japan fps games arnt that popular over there' because a greater number of people there are more sensitive to motion sickness.
yes im awear how that sounds...
look it up :)
you will find much truthiness in this almost proven fact :)

I hope that in time the cause of this not so isolated problem is discovered' so devs can find creative ways to avoid this problem...

cswallstreet
December 23rd, 2006, 17:01
I wonder if it would improve if you could look around using the left thumstick instead of weaving the wiimote left to rite and just aim with the wiimote?

alienanthropologist
December 23rd, 2006, 20:41
I certainly have had no motion sickness at all with Wii. Maybe those people who experience this just have to get used to the new interface till they adapt to it.

Anyway, I feel pity for those who feel like this because I'm enjoying Wii so much!

philr359
December 23rd, 2006, 21:55
It's a well known that in japan fps games arnt that popular over there' because a greater number of people there are more sensitive to motion sickness.
yes im awear how that sounds...
look it up :)
you will find much truthiness in this almost proven fact :)

I hope that in time the cause of this not so isolated problem is discovered' so devs can find creative ways to avoid this problem...
i've heard that before too. thats why they have "over the shoulder" third person shooters ala RE4

I heart Nintendo
December 23rd, 2006, 23:43
I guess this girl, should stay away from FPS titles on the Wii then...

Watch: Take it to the floor... (http://i-am-random-j.blogspot.com/2006/10/shake-it-like-polaroid-picture.html)

ICE
December 24th, 2006, 00:23
shadowprophet said truthiness... you watch the Colbert Report dont you? IM GETTING A WII IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

shadowprophet
December 24th, 2006, 01:04
shadowprophet said truthiness... you watch the Colbert Report dont you? IM GETTING A WII IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

Of course ;) the colbert report is one of the best shows on tv today, in my opinion anyway :)

spikegrantham
December 24th, 2006, 12:50
Stay in bed and read a book, When your lying on a sofa with a controller i'm sure your fine, but obviously the simulation of a fps is too much for you. Stick to what your good at and read books.

VampDude
December 30th, 2006, 12:06
I guess this girl, should stay away from FPS titles on the Wii then...

Watch: Take it to the floor... (http://i-am-random-j.blogspot.com/2006/10/shake-it-like-polaroid-picture.html)

lmao, I saw someone do that outside a shopping centre once only I did'nt know it was a seizure! lol :p :rofl: